Author Topic: Well, he WAS a Dolphin  (Read 2104 times)

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
Well, he WAS a Dolphin
« on: January 12, 2015, 08:46:48 am »
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Well, he WAS a Dolphin
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 08:58:07 am »
Can you see shore from that distance? 

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 10:38:06 am »

probably from 1000 feet.  I wonder how you know to swim the right direction.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 11:36:36 am »

Not in the water.  If you're 6 feet tall, you can see about 3 miles standing at water's edge.  Add the height of the boat, and it adds a little to the distance, but doesn't triple it.  He'd need to be about 18 feet above the water surface to see 9 miles.  But he knew which direction to swim, and he wasn't swimming for a life preserver.  He had to hit Florida.  Which is pretty big. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 11:57:50 am »
From where he was at night in normal conditions the lights of south Florida are quite evident as likely would be the lights of Freeport.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 12:39:37 pm »
It used to get confusing sometimes at night, driving down on the Bolivar Peninsula. Sometimes after several hits on the bong you couldn't tell the difference between the lights along Highway 87, and the lights from all the ships lined up out in the Gulf, waiting for their turn to go up the ship channel.

I was with a friend one night when he drove his Ford Torino almost all the way to the second sand bar before it stalled out, and we started to sink.

Hardly a dilemma on the scale of Konrad's, though.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 12:42:23 pm by Dark Star »
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 09:33:35 pm »
It used to get confusing sometimes at night, driving down on the Bolivar Peninsula. Sometimes after several hits on the bong you couldn't tell the difference between the lights along Highway 87, and the lights from all the ships lined up out in the Gulf, waiting for their turn to go up the ship channel.

I was with a friend one night when he drove his Ford Torino almost all the way to the second sand bar before it stalled out, and we started to sink.

I've always found the third bar to have better fishing.  I usually don't drive out there though.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 10:03:30 pm »
Sounds like there was a first bar well before the second.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Aussie Astro

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 06:42:41 pm »

Of course it had to be Torino.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 08:32:49 pm »

It depends on the heights of object on the shoreline. A 200 foot tall structure might be visible from a distance of nine miles.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit