Author Topic: For you whiskey drinkers out there  (Read 6779 times)

Duke

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile

Trey

• View Profile
Re: For you whiskey drinkers out there
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 08:14:43 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/11/05/japan-beats-scotland-to-win-worlds-best-whiskey-title/

Yamazaki single malt awarded world's best.

Four Roses is considered the fourth best whiskey in the world? That stuff is overpriced at $20/bottle. Am I missing something?
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 09:03:45 pm »
Four Roses is considered the fourth best whiskey in the world? That stuff is overpriced at $20/bottle. Am I missing something?

I had it at a bar in Oakland earlier this year and loved it.  At $20/bottle you just can't beat it for an everyday whiskey.  Granted, there's no way it's 4th best in the world.

I also tried the Yamazaki this year and I can't say that I liked it.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 06:31:08 am »
Anybody tried the Balcones bourbon that was on one of the lists?
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 08:31:56 am »
I had it at a bar in Oakland earlier this year and loved it.  At $20/bottle you just can't beat it for an everyday whiskey.  Granted, there's no way it's 4th best in the world.

Maybe it's just a personal preference. For cheaper bourbon I'll take 1835 (which apparently isn't actually made in Texas) over Four Roses any day.
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 08:44:49 am »
Anybody tried the Balcones bourbon that was on one of the lists?

That stuff is impossible to come by.  Only sold at the distillery, last time I heard.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 09:39:27 am »
Maybe it's just a personal preference. For cheaper bourbon I'll take 1835 (which apparently isn't actually made in Texas) over Four Roses any day.

I haven't tried 1835 yet, but opt for Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, and Bulleit for my standard "every day" bourbons, listed in order of preference.  Anyone sampled the eagle rare?

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 09:46:14 am »
I haven't tried 1835 yet, but opt for Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, and Bulleit for my standard "every day" bourbons, listed in order of preference.  Anyone sampled the eagle rare?

Bulleit bournon and their rye for my everyday whiskey.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 09:56:30 am »

Bulleit bournon and their rye for my everyday whiskey.

I think Bulleit bourbon is pretty good stuff.  I like it much better than, say, Buffalo Trace or any of the Texas bourbons.  I haven't ever tried 4 Roses.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 10:49:57 am »
I'm a big fan of Garrison Brothers.  It's not the smoothest, but the flavor is pretty unique.  Of course the price tag makes it about a once a year purchase for me.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 10:51:20 am »

Bulleit ... rye for my everyday whiskey.

This is the only whiskey my wife has been able to tolerate without a mixer.  We stock the shelves with it now.
I prefer Templeton but I'm not going to argue with her.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:53:45 am by Ebby Calvin »

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 10:55:17 am »
Also, if you're ever in the Bay Area, look for Breaking & Entering Bourbon.  Really good stuff.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 11:29:54 am »
That stuff is impossible to come by.  Only sold at the distillery, last time I heard.

That means a trip to Waco.  It's not worth it.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 11:57:05 am »
This is the only whiskey my wife has been able to tolerate without a mixer.  We stock the shelves with it now.
I prefer Templeton but I'm not going to argue with her.

I like Templeton alot as well.  It hasn't been broadly available in North Austin (that means the 2 Twin Liquor stores i frequent).

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 05:11:01 pm »
I like Templeton alot as well.  It hasn't been broadly available in North Austin (that means the 2 Twin Liquor stores i frequent).

I went to a lunch today where Dr. Richard Murray explained the recent election results to the Harris County Democratic Lawyers.  I stopped by Spec's on the way back to the office and bought 1 bottle of 4 roses and 1 bottle of Yamazaki single malt (but not the sherry cask version, which they didn't have).  I suspect the two events may have been related.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 09:02:47 pm »
I'm a big fan of Garrison Brothers.  It's not the smoothest, but the flavor is pretty unique.  Of course the price tag makes it about a once a year purchase for me.

Yeah, they're a little proud of it.  It's great, but not that great.  If you're ever in the area it's a great place to visit and have a tasting, if they're open and in the mood.  Call first.

TX Whiskey out of Fort Worth is quite drinkable and affordable, to me at least.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 09:24:15 pm »
4 Roses isn't nearly as good as Bulleit.

Nate in IA

• To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 07:19:21 am »

It's quite plentiful here in Iowa..

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 07:55:23 am »
Yeah, they're a little proud of it.  It's great, but not that great.  If you're ever in the area it's a great place to visit and have a tasting, if they're open and in the mood.  Call first.

I actually visited there about a year and a half ago and had a great time.  At least until my buddy ran out of diesel right after we left. That was fun.

Trey mentioned 1835.  I'm not a fan.  If I'm drinking something cheaper than Jim Beam Black I'm probably going for Forty Creek.  Yes, I realize it's not bourbon.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 08:18:25 am »
Templeton and 1835 are both ok for mixing. I wouldn't drink either of them straight though. I mean, I would, I'm not afraid of them or anything, but they're really weak for drinking straight.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 08:34:27 am »
Also, if you're ever in the Bay Area, look for Breaking & Entering Bourbon.  Really good stuff.

Cheap too!
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 08:37:18 am »
4 Roses isn't nearly as good as Bulleit.

The head bartender formerly of Manzatini, now of Etoile, is a huge bourbon aficionado.  She had some amazing stuff at Mazantini and is in the process of building up her range at Etoile.  I was introlduced to Bulleit by her, and was very happy about it.

I have been drinking more whisky / bourbon of late and, with the weather cooling off, don't see that changing any time soon.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

WakePhil

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 09:02:32 am »
For seriously cheap bourbon, Ancient Age is decent. I usually keep one of the 1.75L bottles in the cabinet (around $20 at Specs). I won't drink it neat, but mixed or on ice is fine.

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 12:43:48 pm »
I keep a half gallon (I know it is measured in liters and shit now) of Jack Daniels on the shelf for me, at all times.

I also keep a half gallon of Evan Williams in there. It is for guests I don't really care enough about to feed the Jack to. The bottles look similar, especially if you are not paying too much attention. So my in-laws, etc., think they are drinking Jack Black, and I am saving money (I've seen the Evan Williams for as little as $12-$13 a 1-point-seven-five, on sale.)

One night after a few drinks I got a little mixed up, and poured myself some of the Evan W. (I drink my bourbon/whiskey in a large highball glass with ice, about 1/2 bourbon and 1/2 bottled water.) When I realized what I'd done, I thought, "Damn, this Evan Williams isn't all that bad, actually."
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 02:45:20 pm »
One night after a few drinks I got a little mixed up, and poured myself some of the Evan W. (I drink my bourbon/whiskey in a large highball glass with ice, about 1/2 bourbon and 1/2 bottled water.) When I realized what I'd done, I thought, "Damn, this Evan Williams isn't all that bad, actually."

How many had you had before making the mistake?

I had a genius (I thought) idea of selling compartmentalized wine storage with time locks.  From my experience, people generally break out "the good stuff" when they're hammered, because otherwise they eschew it in favor of saving it for a proper occasion.

My idea is that you put your expensive wines in one compartment, next quality/price level down in the next compartment and so on down to the cheap shit in the last.  As the evening progresses, the compartments sequentially lock every couple of hours, starting with the good stuff.  So, as you get more plastered, you are forced to make appropriate wine choices instead of pulling out a $300 Margaux at 1am.

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 03:28:00 pm »

I had a genius (I thought) idea of selling compartmentalized wine storage with time locks.  From my experience, people generally break out "the good stuff" when they're hammered, because otherwise they eschew it in favor of saving it for a proper occasion.

My idea is that you put your expensive wines in one compartment, next quality/price level down in the next compartment and so on down to the cheap shit in the last.  As the evening progresses, the compartments sequentially lock every couple of hours, starting with the good stuff.  So, as you get more plastered, you are forced to make appropriate wine choices instead of pulling out a $300 Margaux at 1am.

That makes a lot of sense, actually.

Back in the good old days, when we were students and on a severe budget, we figured out that after 5-6 beers, one's tolerance for less than premium brew rose accordingly. When packing the Igloo for a day trip to the beach, you would pack a sixer of the stuff you really liked at the bottom of the cooler, under all the ice. Then throw a 12-pack of Schaeffer Light/Schlitz/Strohs/whatever on top. If someone on the beach had the idea of raiding your cooler while you weren't looking, they'd open it and see the Buckhorn or whatever you'd put on top, and move on. Meanwhille, you'd hit the good stuff until it was gone. At that point, you'd either quit drinking altogether, or you'd move on to the cheap stuff, and get smashed.

Happy result, either way.

Nate in IA

• To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2014, 07:53:41 pm »

see Wedding at Cana, The

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 12:08:10 pm »

Several.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2014, 06:45:16 pm »
I've got some Woodford Reserve, some 1835, some Rebecca Creek and just a sniff of Maker's 46.  Gonna be a good weekend.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 09:16:47 pm »
Is there a scotch thread?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 09:35:59 pm »
Is there a scotch thread?

There have been many.  But feel free to start another.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2014, 09:15:01 am »

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2014, 11:15:58 am »