Author Topic: Smoak claimed on waivers by the Blue Jays  (Read 5556 times)

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
Smoak claimed on waivers by the Blue Jays
« on: October 29, 2014, 03:56:27 am »
Not writing him off entirely, but so much for the instapundits who thought he should have been drafted by the Astros over Jason Castro.

MLBTR.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Smoak claimed on waivers by the Blue Jays
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 09:11:51 am »
Not writing him off entirely, but so much for the instapundits who thought he should have been drafted by the Astros over Jason Castro.

MLBTR.

Check out the old Bus.  With notes from Kevin Goldstein.
Goin' for a bus ride.

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 09:31:44 am »
Thank you for that link.  From MM:

Joe Sheehan (12:03:31 PM PT): Nats take Crow at 109...Astros have to take Smoak and run, right? This is a gift?

Kevin Goldstein (12:10:37 PM PT): 10. Astros -- Jason Castro, C, Stanford.

Are you f-ing kidding me? Words can not describe how dumb this is. They just can't. I'm utterly speechless. At least I get to rip Houston's drafts once again. I'm rambling to myslef here it total disbelief.

Kevin Goldstein (12:11:48 PM PT): Ok. Here's the thing. Castro is a really nice catcher, don't get me wrong. But that's a late first round talent and JUSTIN SMOAK IS STILL ON THE BOARD. Maybe the Astros just didn't notice this.

Kevin Goldstein (12:13:51 PM PT): Andy (TX): OH my GOD!! Castro??? What the is Wade thinking?

I'll let Andy speak for legions of Astros fans.

Turns out I've been interviewing wrong my whole life.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:49:26 am »

It's BP.  They're good for some comedy relief, but that's about it.  Certainliy not any intelligent baseball analysis. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 11:21:18 am »
It's BP.  They're good for some comedy relief, but that's about it.  Certainliy not any intelligent baseball analysis. 

Except that BP guy now works for the Astros as their Director of Professional Scouting.
Goin' for a bus ride.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 11:29:15 am »
Except that BP guy now works for the Astros as their Director of Professional Scouting.

He should be pleased then.  Yesterday Justin Smoak was still on the board.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 11:33:50 am »

That explains a lot. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 11:51:23 am »
Wow. Just looking at the first page of that is a little treasure trove. I can't wait to get further in and see what dumbass, reactionary things I had to say.

It's funny that the two guys people were really hoping the Astros would get, Smoak and Crow, both have more or less busted. Not that Castro is a franchise player, but a serviceable catcher capable of really good offensive numbers clearly isn't the worst outcome there.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 12:19:39 pm »
Smoke always seemed to fit well with Seattle. 
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 12:30:01 pm »
Wow. Just looking at the first page of that is a little treasure trove. I can't wait to get further in and see what dumbass, reactionary things I had to say.

Hey, I want to apologize to you - publicly - for the dust-up we had, in that thread about something-or-other a few weeks back.

I don't feel badly about anything I said about the person you were defending, but I did not mean for it to come off as anything personal against you.

For that, I apologize.
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 12:44:52 pm »
Hey, I want to apologize to you - publicly - for the dust-up we had, in that thread about something-or-other a few weeks back.

I don't feel badly about anything I said about the person you were defending, but I did not mean for it to come off as anything personal against you.

For that, I apologize.

I thought I was in charge of apologizing for you?

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 01:11:32 pm »
I think Reuben owes me an apology because every time I read one his posts right before lunch I end up making unhealthy sandwich decisions. 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 01:16:55 pm »
Kevin Goldstein (12:10:37 PM PT): 10. Astros -- Jason Castro, C, Stanford.

Are you f-ing kidding me? Words can not describe how dumb this is. They just can't. I'm utterly speechless. At least I get to rip Houston's drafts once again. I'm rambling to myslef here it total disbelief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 01:23:21 pm »
The quote is even more fun if you read it using this guys voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzyd91NFx-Y
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 09:56:33 pm »

For that, I apologize.
Hey, thanks, man, although I didn't take it personally. And I thought of it as more of a brief skirmish than something serious like a dust-up.

Anyway, I love all you fuckin' assholes, who I've never met, no matter what occasional disagreements/arguments/embarrassing shouting matches we've ever had.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 10:03:48 pm »
I think Reuben owes me an apology because every time I read one his posts right before lunch I end up making unhealthy sandwich decisions. 
You know, maybe it's some subconscious aversion to self-destruction, but I've never been a fan of 'em. I suggest you eat a grilled pimento cheese sandwich instead. Much healthier.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 11:09:40 am »
You know, maybe it's some subconscious aversion to self-destruction, but I've never been a fan of 'em. I suggest you eat a grilled pimento cheese sandwich instead. Much healthier.

Both of those are favorites of mine.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 11:39:15 am »
Both of those are favorites of mine.

I am fond of self destruction, too.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 12:45:18 pm »
I am fond of self destruction, too.

It's overrated in the long run.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 12:45:43 pm »

Do you make your own cheese spread? I am fond of a sharp cheddar recipe.

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 12:48:07 pm »

I don't like sauerkraut in any way, shape, or form ... except on one of your sandwiches. Somehow it just works for me.
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 03:45:26 pm »
Do you make your own cheese spread? I am fond of a sharp cheddar recipe.
yeah, the sharper the better. Add the mayo, the pimentos, the Worcestershire sauce, dash of salt, grate a bit of onion into the mix, yum.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 11:22:50 pm »
And is now non-tendered by the Blue Jays (along with John Mayberry, Jr).