Author Topic: Saturday Football  (Read 43700 times)

Uncle Charlie

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Saturday Football
« on: October 04, 2014, 11:13:10 am »
It's been a long time since I can remember a College Football lineup like today.  Unfortunately some poor planning on my part, but will watch what I can.

Aggie shave broken out early, clearly not hindered (h/t to HH's denial league topic) by their costumes today.
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday Football
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 05:33:07 pm »

Aggie shave broken out early, clearly not hindered (h/t to HH's denial league topic) by their costumes today.

I'm glad someone else noticed this.  I think their regular outfit is pretty ugly - I'm maroon-averse in general - but holy fuck did the ones today look like a middle aged white guy taking the wrong inspiration from Bun B's new Astros hat design.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 02:18:29 pm »
It's been a long time since I can remember a College Football lineup like today.  Unfortunately some poor planning on my part, but will watch what I can.

Yesterday was awesome. Great college games, many going down to the last minute, many upsets. And an 18 inning MLB playoff game.

geezerdonk

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Saturday Football
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 06:47:16 am »
Ole Miss - Alabama was a classic. The will be talking about this one in Oxford for the next 50 years.
E come vivo? Vivo.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 08:28:18 am »
I see Pat Forde has an article that the upsets now open the door for three SEC teams in the playoff.  What a bunch of shit.  I hope that the committee shows more integrity than this.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 08:42:50 am »
Have withheld my excitement about Auburn until this week. I got excited about our showing on Saturday but our remaining schedule makes it tough to look beyond week to week:

@Miss State
South Carolina
@ Ole Miss
Texas A&M
@Georgia
Samford
@Alabama

If we can run that gauntlet with no losses, I will be shocked.

Always ready to go to a game.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 09:01:11 am »
I see Pat Forde has an article that the upsets now open the door for three SEC teams in the playoff.  What a bunch of shit.  I hope that the committee shows more integrity than this.

The non-SEC teams need to be better. Why blame it on the SEC? Where is a great team in the Big 12? Oklahoma? Oops. How about the PAC? Oregon? USC? UCLA? Oops oops and Oops. The Big 10? Michigan State is good but are they one of the top four in the country? Fla. State has the ACC covered. If it's about the four best teams in the country playing to determine a champ I think it should be the best four teams and not based on what region they are in.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 09:40:42 am »
Ole Miss - Alabama was a classic. The will be talking about this one in Oxford for the next 50 years.

Because they don't have much else to talk about there. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 09:51:23 am »
The non-SEC teams need to be better. Why blame it on the SEC? Where is a great team in the Big 12? Oklahoma? Oops. How about the PAC? Oregon? USC? UCLA? Oops oops and Oops. The Big 10? Michigan State is good but are they one of the top four in the country? Fla. State has the ACC covered. If it's about the four best teams in the country playing to determine a champ I think it should be the best four teams and not based on what region they are in.
I'm not blaming it on the SEC, I'm blaming it on the fools who unquestioningly believe that's the only place good football is played.  It's a self fulfilling prophecy:  the SEC is the best, therefore losses amongst them don't count, while with other conferences, losses amongst themselves automatically disqualify you.  I saw a very average WVU play Alabama close, so it's not surprising that they lost to Ole Miss. Fuck, TCU probably could have just as easily knocked off any SEC team in Fort Worth on Saturday. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 10:24:53 am »
I'm not blaming it on the SEC, I'm blaming it on the fools who unquestioningly believe that's the only place good football is played.  It's a self fulfilling prophecy:  the SEC is the best, therefore losses amongst them don't count, while with other conferences, losses amongst themselves automatically disqualify you. 

Which SEC teams have lost and are still in line for the playoffs?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 10:30:51 am »
I'm not blaming it on the SEC, I'm blaming it on the fools who unquestioningly believe that's the only place good football is played.  It's a self fulfilling prophecy:  the SEC is the best, therefore losses amongst them don't count, while with other conferences, losses amongst themselves automatically disqualify you.  I saw a very average WVU play Alabama close, so it's not surprising that they lost to Ole Miss. Fuck, TCU probably could have just as easily knocked off any SEC team in Fort Worth on Saturday. 

I'm not sure Alabama is that good this year. The SEC will take care of itself by weeding out the less worthy.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 11:19:44 am »
Which SEC teams have lost and are still in line for the playoffs?
That's a valid point, and I should have phrased it differently: SEC wins should not count more than wins in other conferences.  For example, beating the Sooners, Bears or Horned Frogs should count as much as beating the Aggies, Tide or LSU.   Similar arguments for the Pac 12, and possibly the ACC and Big 10.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 11:30:12 am »
That's a valid point, and I should have phrased it differently: SEC wins should not count more than wins in other conferences.  For example, beating the Sooners, Bears or Horned Frogs should count as much as beating the Aggies, Tide or LSU.   Similar arguments for the Pac 12, and possibly the ACC and Big 10.

So beating Sam Houston State should be viewed as the same as beating Alabama?

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 02:34:18 pm »

I hate to break this to you, which I'm apparently doing, but, talking to kids who are going through recruiting now, kids want to play in the best football conference, and, based upon the head-to-head and almost absolute domination of the BCS for almost ten years, the SEC is the place of the action. Combine that with the fact that kids do and always have wanted to play close to home and on television as much as possible, the talent primarily comes out of the south, so a lot of it stays close to home.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 03:42:48 pm »
Thanks for repeating the party line.  I never heard that until you broke it to me. 

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 04:09:03 pm »
Thanks for repeating the party line.  I never heard that until you broke it to me. 

And he was happy to do so. 

I don't see any of you mentioning Rice.  After all, Rice won its conference last year.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 05:10:01 pm »
And he was happy to do so. 

I don't see any of you mentioning Rice.  After all, Rice won its conference last year.

I like Rice. It's a nice alternative to potatoes.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 05:40:32 pm »

That's not the party line, smart ass. Those are the facts. I talk to kids all of the time who are in the recruiting process. While most of these kids will never get the chance to play in the SEC, they almost all want to play there because the kids believe that the SEC has the best talent and the best football. Another key fact aiding the SEC is the good climate of most of those schools, particularly vis-a-vis the Big Ten, which is what is hurting Urban Meyer at Ohio State. This is particularly important to skill players. The smartest move ever in college football history was Texas A&M's decision to join the SEC. That gave an entree to Texas kids who wanted to stay close to home and play in the SEC, which is the best of all worlds for the kids in their opinions.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 01:21:08 pm »
It's a nice alternative to potatoes.

Speaking of, Franchione almost gave the TxSt game away to Idaho Saturday night.  Terrence Franks broke out 284 yards on the ground to save Frans ass.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 02:32:11 pm »
That's not the party line, smart ass. Those are the facts. I talk to kids all of the time who are in the recruiting process. While most of these kids will never get the chance to play in the SEC, they almost all want to play there because the kids believe that the SEC has the best talent and the best football. Another key fact aiding the SEC is the good climate of most of those schools, particularly vis-a-vis the Big Ten, which is what is hurting Urban Meyer at Ohio State. This is particularly important to skill players. The smartest move ever in college football history was Texas A&M's decision to join the SEC. That gave an entree to Texas kids who wanted to stay close to home and play in the SEC, which is the best of all worlds for the kids in their opinions.

LOOK AT ME! SEC!
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 02:50:44 pm »

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 02:57:47 pm »
I lived in Bham from 91-02 and she was calling Finebaum's local show way back then.  She is one of his cast of regulars who provide extreme points of view that he can feed off of. 

For those scoring at home the take down count for Alabama & Ole Miss tied. 

Alabama trooper takes down Ole Miss fan on field

Stadium Security takes down bama fan throwing cup of liquid on Ole Miss fans below.

Any thoughts on the better take down?

geezerdonk

• View Profile
Saturday Football
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 03:53:08 pm »

Alabama trooper takes down Ole Miss fan on field

That ain't even patty cake for a Bama cop. Unless the kid is in traction, it don't count.
E come vivo? Vivo.

geezerdonk

• View Profile
Saturday Football
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 03:57:16 pm »

Stadium Security takes down bama fan throwing cup of liquid on Ole Miss fans below.

I'm guessing that he's a cop. He may have been working stadium security, but he's a cop. The fan must have been throwing stuff before the video starts because the cop had already made up his mind to slam him before he threw the popcorn or whatever.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 10:48:55 am »
Yes - I expect there was some dialog along the lines of "Don't throw that son.  Son! Son!" Slam.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 04:47:43 pm »
I just read on another site that Todd Gurley has been suspended from Georgia.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2014, 04:27:55 pm »
Got a slobbaknocka working in Waco. Three TDs in the last 50 seconds.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2014, 04:40:46 pm »
Weird call by Patterson: take a shot to get in field goal range and use your timeout. If you don't get it, Baylor has to throw a Hail Mary.  Nothing to gain by the punt, and if you fuck up, there is something to lose.  Lucky it was only three points.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2014, 04:46:00 pm »
Weird call by Patterson: take a shot to get in field goal range and use your timeout. If you don't get it, Baylor has to throw a Hail Mary.  Nothing to gain by the punt, and if you fuck up, there is something to lose.  Lucky it was only three points.

I disagree.  You punt the ball and end the half.  You just can't snap the ball over the punter's head. 

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2014, 07:00:27 pm »
That was one brutal call against TCU. They call that bullshit at that moment?

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2014, 09:06:38 pm »
That was one brutal call against TCU. They call that bullshit at that moment?

The late pass interference penalty is a problem for football credibility. That and the illegal contact penalty: either you can touch guys after 5 yards, or you can't. There are lots of instances now where guys are almost holding receivers 10 or 12 yards down the field. If that's a rules violation you've got to call it all the time. If it's not, you've got to let it go. But right now there's no predicting whether there will be a call or not.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 02:50:17 am »
The late pass interference penalty is a problem for football credibility. That and the illegal contact penalty: either you can touch guys after 5 yards, or you can't. There are lots of instances now where guys are almost holding receivers 10 or 12 yards down the field. If that's a rules violation you've got to call it all the time. If it's not, you've got to let it go. But right now there's no predicting whether there will be a call or not.
+1

Randomness in what is PI should not decide a game.  That same contact was not called multiple times during the game
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 09:02:37 am »
+1

Randomness in what is PI should not decide a game.  That same contact was not called multiple times during the game

It was a ticky tack call, but I don't know that it decided the game.  Baylor had the ball on the TCU 45 yard line with 40 seconds and three time outs at the time.  TCU's problem, other than their defense simply folded like a cheap suit, was the double unsportsmanlike penalties on the pick-6 in the 4th.  That put them up three touchdowns in the 4Q, but then have to kick off from their 10 yard line.  Four plays and less than a minute later Baylor pounded it in and got it to two scores.  It was all Baylor after that.   

I also don't agree with TCU's decision to go for it on 4th down on their last possession.  It gave Baylor the ball at nearly midfield in a tie game.  So at the end of both halves, TCU had the ball around midfield with a minute left, and both times they turned the ball over and gave up points as time expired.  Patterson's inability to manage the game clock was more of a factor than the PI call. 

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2014, 03:14:33 pm »
I also don't agree with TCU's decision to go for it on 4th down on their last possession.  It gave Baylor the ball at nearly midfield in a tie game.  So at the end of both halves, TCU had the ball around midfield with a minute left, and both times they turned the ball over and gave up points as time expired.  Patterson's inability to manage the game clock was more of a factor than the PI call. 

Patterson said after the game he felt like they had to go for it, because they knew their defense couldn't/wouldn't stop Baylor.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2014, 07:23:12 pm »
Aggies with one of the most pathetic performances in their history.  The offense is broken and the defense is somewhere between broken and exhausted - it's hard to tell.

Looking forward to watching the Irish tonight - I think they are a lot better than many think they are, but we'll find out for sure tonight.  Golson has to keep the turnovers down.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2014, 11:57:26 am »
The light was switched last night in Austin. The game has slowed down considerably for young Mr. Swoopes.

drew corleone

• View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2014, 02:01:57 pm »
Had the pleasure of watching the game with the Raups, and when we weren't trying to ignore the lunacy emanating from the rows behind us, we were raving about Swoooooooopes.

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 09:20:57 am »
18 jhadf a pretty decnet game.  First Horn to run for 09 and pass for 300 yards since Colt did it.  And not a bad day for Colt yesterday as well.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2014, 08:38:17 pm »
The light was switched last night in Austin. The game has slowed down considerably for young Mr. Swoopes.

The light burned out. The best coach in America again handed Texas their ass.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2014, 12:20:35 pm »
The light burned out. The best coach in America again handed Texas their ass.

Mack Brown's repeated and awful Oline recruiting at the end of his tenure reared it's ugly head today. Holy jesus, the blocking was terrible.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2014, 12:25:16 pm »
Mack Brown's repeated and awful Oline recruiting at the end of his tenure reared it's ugly head today. Holy jesus, the blocking was terrible.

Yes, it was. I really don't' want to pin it all on Swoopes by any means. It was really a team effort. Their walk-ons and j.c. guys outplaying our 3 and 4 star recruits. Probably not two guys on their squad Texas would have offered.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 12:53:05 pm »
The best coach in America again handed Texas their ass.

I shudder to think of what Snyder could have ever done with recruits on the scale of Saban, Brown, or Stoops.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 03:32:51 pm »
I realize Texas is having a tough season, but how in the world is Texas Tech favored by 24 points over UT?  It isn't like Tech is any good this year.  Tech beat Central Arkansas by 7 and UTEP by 4.  I understand Tech being favored since they are at home, but 24 points?  That just doesn't seem right. 
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 03:52:47 pm »
I realize Texas is having a tough season, but how in the world is Texas Tech favored by 24 points over UT?  It isn't like Tech is any good this year.  Tech beat Central Arkansas by 7 and UTEP by 4.  I understand Tech being favored since they are at home, but 24 points?  That just doesn't seem right. 

I think the current line is 5 points. Not sure why the opening odds were set that high.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 04:20:27 pm »
Tech by five?

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2014, 05:17:48 pm »

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2014, 06:43:59 pm »
Surprises me.  I realize that they find ways to lose, but Texas looks like a better team than Tech, Lubbock or not.

drew corleone

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2014, 10:37:41 pm »
That opening line was a mistake.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2014, 04:59:32 pm »
Sure, I'm biased - but how can ND be 10th when they lost to #2 in #2's home stadium by a penalty in what many termed an instant classic.  Too much credit being given to Michigan State, K State and TCU in my opinion.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2014, 05:12:58 pm »
Sure, I'm biased - but how can ND be 10th when they lost to #2 in #2's home stadium by a penalty in what many termed an instant classic.  Too much credit being given to Michigan State, K State and TCU in my opinion.

Where do you think they should be ranked?  What is their best win? 

I could see bumping them up a couple, but until they knock someone off, not just lose a close on, they are about where they should be.  THey will move up if they can beat ASU, USC and UL.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2014, 05:29:50 pm »

I could see bumping them up a couple, but until they knock someone off, not just lose a close on, they are about where they should be.  THey will move up if they can beat ASU, USC and UL.

Their best win was their loss to FSU.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2014, 06:42:47 pm »
I wish we had an eight team playoff but I suppose I'm being greedy since it took so long to get to four. It would be the best tournament in sports.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2014, 09:30:15 pm »
Fuck Notre Dame
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2014, 11:51:45 pm »

Rolling Stone seems to think that there might be a little bit of collusion between ESPN and the SEC.

And not that anyone gives shit 1 about my opinion, but I think that ESPN works the FUCK out of the SEC on their network to make sure they're pumped up and stay high in the rankings. It's pretty disgusting that the Worldwide Leader in Sports has SEC jizz all over their face.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2014, 06:51:19 am »

Probably 6 or 7.  They can only play who is on the schedule, which is set years in advance.  At the beginning of the season, there was a strong belief that ND had one of the toughest schedules in the game this year...then several of those teams have fallen down the totem poll.  You're right that they will move up with those three games.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2014, 07:29:22 am »
Probably 6 or 7.  They can only play who is on the schedule, which is set years in advance.  At the beginning of the season, there was a strong belief that ND had one of the toughest schedules in the game this year...then several of those teams have fallen down the totem poll.  You're right that they will move up with those three games.

Their schedule being weak is because of their choice to stay out of a conference for football because they don't want to share their TV revenue.  Move into a conference and your schedule issues go away.  Schedules are set years in advance but when you're scheduling service academies year in and year out, you can't use that as a rationalization.  Give up a couple of million in revenue and join a big boy conference.  Or at least the B1G10 

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2014, 08:00:26 am »
Their schedule being weak is because of their choice to stay out of a conference for football because they don't want to share their TV revenue.  Move into a conference and your schedule issues go away.  Schedules are set years in advance but when you're scheduling service academies year in and year out, you can't use that as a rationalization.  Give up a couple of million in revenue and join a big boy conference.  Or at least the B1G10 

They are basically part of the ACC with non conference games of Michigan, USC, Stanford and Arizona State.  It's not a weak schedule.  You should also read why ND plays Navy every year - it's honorable to say the least.

To answer the first question directly, their best win to date was against Stanford, who was ranked #14 at the time.  I meant to put that in the original post.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2014, 08:37:01 am »
They are basically part of the ACC with non conference games of Michigan, USC, Stanford and Arizona State.  It's not a weak schedule.  You should also read why ND plays Navy every year - it's honorable to say the least.

To answer the first question directly, their best win to date was against Stanford, who was ranked #14 at the time.  I meant to put that in the original post.

Honorable or not, playing Navy is different than playing Alabama.  Notre Dame's schedule issues are entirely on themselves.  If that's what they want, then fine, but they can't have their cake and eat it too. 

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2014, 09:04:56 am »

Stanford is (painful to say) pretty mediocre (and ranking at the time is the dumbest concept in CFB). And you were still very lucky to win that game. Anyways, it will all be moot after you lose to ASU.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2014, 09:14:42 am »
Honorable or not, playing Navy is different than playing Alabama.  Notre Dame's schedule issues are entirely on themselves.  If that's what they want, then fine, but they can't have their cake and eat it too. 

You're right - a team that has a schedule that includes traditional powerhouses of Michigan, Florida State, USC, and Stanford, plus occasional contenders Louisville and Ariz. State, should be mocked for their schedule.

By the way, here's an alternative view of the FSU-ND endzone penalty: http://www.wsbt.com/sports/a-new-look-at-that-controversial-call-during-nd-vs-fsu/29232562   Although I will say that the night of the penalty, from the TV view, it looked like a penalty.  After watching this I can see why Brian Kelly was upset.  It shows Fuller (7), who was called for the penalty, potentially getting his route jumped.  I don't know if it was the right call or not - it's simply not clear.  The point of the video isn't to dispute the outcome but only to show that the angels we all see don't always show the whole story.  I think that call could have gone either way.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2014, 09:21:25 am »
And you were still very lucky to win that game

Weakest argument in college football discussions.  FSU was lucky to beat Clemson, Alabama was lucky to beat Arkansas, USC was lucky to beat Stanford...there are stories like that in the top 10 / top 25 every week.  It's what makes college football exciting.  A win is a win...including FSU over ND.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2014, 09:27:28 am »
You're right - a team that has a schedule that includes traditional powerhouses of Michigan, Florida State, USC, and Stanford, plus occasional contenders Louisville and Ariz. State, should be mocked for their schedule.

When was the last time Michigan was a "powerhouse"?  USC and Stanford are entirely mediocre and they lost to Florida State.  There is simply no way one can argue Notre Dame has played a tough schedule. 

By the way, here's an alternative view of the FSU-ND endzone penalty: http://www.wsbt.com/sports/a-new-look-at-that-controversial-call-during-nd-vs-fsu/29232562   Although I will say that the night of the penalty, from the TV view, it looked like a penalty.  After watching this I can see why Brian Kelly was upset.

I know why he was upset too...he got caught on the most obvious and blatant offensive pass interference call you'll ever see.  It was one of the easiest calls an official will ever have.  It was textbook. 

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2014, 09:37:53 am »
Rolling Stone seems to think that there might be a little bit of collusion between ESPN and the SEC.

And not that anyone gives shit 1 about my opinion, but I think that ESPN works the FUCK out of the SEC on their network to make sure they're pumped up and stay high in the rankings. It's pretty disgusting that the Worldwide Leader in Sports has SEC jizz all over their face.
It's been amusing this week listening to and reading the pushback by ESPN/SEC cronies this week.  

Ultimately, it all hinges on a tightly-held assertion of belief: the SEC is all that, and therefore, victories amongst themselves are more valuable than victories of other conference schools amongst themselves, and by the way, if you disagree, you are dishonest.  The "arguments" would be a lot more persuasive if they included a list of all the significant OOC victories by the SEC this year (and please, spare me historical MNCs as that is complete bullshit) and compared those against victories by other conferences.  A quick perusal of the SEC west schedules yields Alabama over WVU and Auburn over K State.  Color me fucking impressed.  

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2014, 09:43:00 am »
A quick perusal of the SEC west schedules yields Alabama over WVU and Auburn over K State.  Color me fucking impressed.  

So which non-SEC team's long list of big wins *does* impress you?

Furthermore, in your mind it's impossible to look at Team A and say "they're better than Team B...they have better players and execute better"?  Statgeek.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:44:32 am by HudsonHawk »

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2014, 09:44:50 am »
A quick perusal of the SEC west schedules yields Alabama over WVU and Auburn over K State.  Color me fucking impressed. 

Well, that and the fact that Georgia over Arky is the only game an SEC West team has lost outside its division.  They're something like 32-1.

This will work itself out, but the SEC does benefit from a few things unrelated to ESPN:

1. They are smart enough to play conference games early.  When other teams are playing OOC cupcakes, you're getting Texas A&M vs. South Carolina - which causes an overreaction (as we saw) for the winner.
2. That moves their cupcakes to late in the season, when NOBODY dings them for a cupcake win.
3. By only playing 8 conference games, they are essentially two separate conferences.  Playing 2 of 7 teams in the other division doesn't mean squat, especially when the East is as bad as it is.  But everyone thinks of the "SEC" as a whole, and so a team like South Carolina will be given much more credit than they are due.

Of all the West teams, the one I think is overrated is actually Alabama, and that's not an ESPN thing, that's a historical dominance thing.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2014, 10:00:15 am »
Furthermore, in your mind it's impossible to look at Team A and say "they're better than Team B...they have better players and execute better"?  Statgeek.
I'm not sure what statgeek refers to, but I don't think it is impossible at all.  I've watched plenty of intra-conference games this year.  I watched WVU play Alabama close.  I saw Auburn against K State and was not impressed.  I saw Wisconsin run all over LSU until Gordon got hurt.  I saw OSU play FSU real close.  And by the way, I don't consider the losers in these four games to be all that good.  So, it's not that clear to me that these top ranked teams (read SEC and FSU) have better players and execute better, statgeek. 

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2014, 10:41:28 am »

Well, ND has only played 3 of those games so far.  Beating Michigan is worth less than TCU's win over Minnesota.  ND lost to FSU, and the Stanford win is nothing more than an solid but unspectacular win at this point.   ND is so low for the same reason undefeated Marshall is unranked.  Who you beat matters.

I'm not blaming ND for their schedule, like you said, several teams are traditional powers, but those teams simply add nothing this year.  That is just bad luck.

Good news for ND, if they keep winning they are gonna be in the mix due to the upcoming schedule.  But where they are ranked now is pretty accurate imo.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2014, 11:38:41 am »
Besides, if you are ND why do you want to get into the playoff so you can repeat 2013 vs. Alabama?
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2014, 06:10:00 pm »
Speaking of those wormheads from Georgia...how about them Gators!!!

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2014, 01:19:18 pm »
Between a pitiful Florida team beating Georgia, A&M barely hanging on at home against Lousiana-Monroe (!), South Carolina falling to a down (but improving) Tennessee team, and Miss St barely surviving an Arkansas team sporting a 16-game losing streak (or something like that) in the SEC, maybe the chants of SEC supremacy will be toned down a little bit this week.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2014, 06:05:27 pm »
Between a pitiful Florida team beating Georgia, A&M barely hanging on at home against Lousiana-Monroe (!), South Carolina falling to a down (but improving) Tennessee team, and Miss St barely surviving an Arkansas team sporting a 16-game losing streak (or something like that) in the SEC, maybe the chants of SEC supremacy will be toned down a little bit this week.

Well, three of those were inter-conference games.  One team had to lose. 

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2014, 06:48:36 pm »
Well, three of those were inter-conference games.  One team had to lose. 

Sure, but they didn't have to look incompetent doing so.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2014, 06:54:26 pm »
Sure, but they didn't have to look incompetent doing so.

Yeah, but you can't hold up one SEC team beating another as proof that the SEC is over-rated.  You could just as easily argue..."see how good the SEC is?  Even the worst team in the league can compete against the #1 team in the country"

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2014, 05:15:05 pm »
I was elated to see that Baylor put it to big game Bob today.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2014, 05:54:39 pm »
Good news Uncle Charlie - don't have to worry about polls anymore
  -  Orson Welles

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2014, 07:14:54 pm »
Huge win for the Longhorns today. Congrats!

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2014, 11:17:54 pm »
Auburn:  now *that's* stepping on your dick. Nice job.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2014, 11:57:38 pm »
Auburn:  now *that's* stepping on your dick. Nice job.

They've been just missing it all year. This weekend they finally spiked that sucker.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2014, 01:48:51 am »
Good news Uncle Charlie - don't have to worry about polls anymore

Glad I didn't have to watch that - in South Africa at the moment.  I tried, but to no avail.  Went to bed after Golson's fourth turnover while observing on gamecast and twitter.

I was wrong about ND and wrong about TCU.  It would be great to have the frogs in the mix with the championship scheduled for Dallas.  Being in Cape Town, when I woke up the Ducks were only at halftime - weird.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2014, 05:38:34 am »
When was the last time Texas college football overall had a day this good?
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2014, 09:06:58 am »
When was the last time Texas college football overall had a day this good?

What are you talking about?  The Coogs stepped on their dicks yesterday.  It was an awful football day. 

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2014, 10:03:36 am »
UTSA and Tulane? How the hell did they lose to them!
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2014, 11:23:25 am »
Sorry,  should have specified major Texas college football
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2014, 12:28:29 pm »
Sorry,  should have specified major Texas college football

Don't forget the Longhorns. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2014, 12:29:11 pm »
UTSA and Tulane? How the hell did they lose to them!

Turnovers.  Hard to beat anyone when you turn the ball over, unless you're playing the Texans. 

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2014, 02:10:09 pm »
College football has never been more fun. When I was in college there was such disparity between the "have's" and "have not's" and there wasn't that many of the former.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2014, 04:03:30 pm »
Bravo HH
  -  Orson Welles

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2014, 01:33:35 pm »
Besides, if you are ND why do you want to get into the playoff so you can repeat 2013 vs. Alabama?
Too late for even this, now, but ND's best position in the polls would be #5 ... that way they could complain about being left out and robbed of the chance to win the championship, but never have to worry about being exposed as a pretender.  ASU exposed them early, though, so "wait til next year".
Up in the Air

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2014, 01:57:25 pm »
Too late for even this, now, but ND's best position in the polls would be #5 ... that way they could complain about being left out and robbed of the chance to win the championship, but never have to worry about being exposed as a pretender.  ASU exposed them early, though, so "wait til next year".

Also undermines FSU's "best win".  Everyone wins. 

I can't wait to watch TCU beat FSU with a sock full of batteries.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2014, 10:55:20 am »
Northwestern.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2014, 12:21:47 pm »
Northwestern.

I switched to something else because watching ND win makes me angry. I was delighted when I saw the score later.

You know, there's stepping on your dick, then there's stepping on your dick with track spikes, and then there's what Florida did against South Carolina yesterday. I'm mildly surprised that Coach Boom wasn't dismissed this morning.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2014, 07:14:12 pm »
I'm mildly surprised that Coach Boom wasn't dismissed this morning.

They waited until this afternoon.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2014, 03:59:27 pm »
Well that lasted a nanosecond. OU's Perine rushes for 427. Of course, it was against KU.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2014, 04:06:30 pm »
Well that lasted a nanosecond. OU's Perine rushes for 427. Of course, it was against KU.

Damn. A freshman. He might be pretty good.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2014, 09:18:05 am »
Damn. A freshman. He might be pretty good.

He got 62 against UT and got planted by another freshman.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2014, 09:19:09 am »
He got 62 against UT and got planted by another freshman.

Our D's performance this year makes me believe we honestly could have competed for the conference if Ash had been healthy.  Ifs and buts, candy and nuts.

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2014, 09:50:00 am »
Our D's performance this year makes me believe we honestly could have competed for the conference if Ash had been healthy.  Ifs and buts, candy and nuts.

Really looking forward to the game on Thursday.  Call me crazy but I think the 'Horns compete with the Frogs.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2014, 11:28:36 am »
Really looking forward to the game on Thursday.  Call me crazy but I think the 'Horns compete with the Frogs.

Not crazy at all.  If the Frogs let Kansas hang for 4 quarters, Texas certainly can compete at home.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2014, 04:45:59 pm »
It will be interesting to see if the offense can make much headway against TCU, as Texas hasn't faced even an average defense since KSU.  Also haven't faced a mobile QB in a long time.  Really, since BYU.  That should be interesting test of the defensive improvement. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2014, 04:55:48 pm »
Not crazy at all.  If the Frogs let Kansas hang for 4 quarters, Texas certainly can compete at home.

This is what Baylor is hoping too.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2014, 12:35:35 pm »
Watching Ohio St and Michigan.  Both of these teams are garbage, but the NCAA is determined to get a Big 12,13,10 in the playoff, no matter how much they suck. 

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2014, 02:03:39 pm »
OSU is not a playoff caliber team.  I'm watching the GT-UGA game.  It looks like FSU will have all it can handle in the ACC championship next week.  Bama would have crushed UGA if they met in the SEC champ.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2014, 03:39:39 pm »
OSU is not a playoff caliber team.  I'm watching the GT-UGA game.  It looks like FSU will have all it can handle in the ACC championship next week.  Bama would have crushed UGA if they met in the SEC champ.

One wonders if the Big 10 will ever have a team in the Playoffs under the current system.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2014, 03:55:09 pm »
I know it's a major expansion, and we have to see the 4 team playoff work, but it would be great to see 8 teams - conf champions from the 5 major conferences plus the 3 highest ranking teams as wildcards, limiting a single conference to two teams.  This rids the issue of conference partiality, gives an opportunity to mid majors, who could be ranked as low as 8 and still get in, and making the best teams play the best teams in a broader playoff.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2014, 05:38:27 pm »
Florida St is going to win this game, but they sure don't deserve it. Which goes along with their three other lucky wins this year. Although I am looking forward to the Jets drafting Jameis Winston.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2014, 06:49:31 pm »
He can hang out with Geno and ghosts of football past: Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2014, 09:37:54 am »
TCU looks to be in good shape for a slot in the playoffs, which means they'll probably crap their drawers against Iowa State next week.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2014, 09:56:55 am »
TCU looks to be in good shape for a slot in the playoffs, which means they'll probably crap their drawers against Iowa State next week.

I'm have a fundamental problem with TCU over Baylor, should both win next week.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2014, 10:01:11 am »

I certainly understand why. I think TCU is a better all around team but since they lost to Baylor, there is going to be that argument.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2014, 11:54:37 am »
Slack-jawed hillbillies mourn one of their own--Pelini fired.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2014, 03:29:31 pm »

TCU is a better team than Baylor.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2014, 04:38:37 pm »

I think so too, but they did settle it on the field.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2014, 06:03:30 pm »

1.  They sure didn't act like it when Baylor beat them.
2.  You're no longer looking to simply identify the "best team", you're looking to actually crown a National Champion.  There is a fundamental difference in simply picking who you think is the best team and now having a playoff competition where the winners advance. 
3.  How in the world, in any legitimate sport, is head-to-head not the first tie-breaker between two teams?

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2014, 06:38:41 pm »
  3.  How in the world, in any legitimate sport, is head-to-head not the first tie-breaker between two teams?

The selection committee doesn't consider them to be tied.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2014, 07:09:40 pm »

If Baylor beats K-state next week they will jump ahead of TCU.  If they don't and TCU wins, then they won't have a "tie breaker" to worry about.

If they both lose then there won't be a Big 12 team in the playoff to worry about anyway.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2014, 08:14:12 pm »

They're as tied as two teams can get.  Obviously the selection committee has to put one ahead of the other, but that doesn't mean they don't have the same record in the same conference.  The head of the selection committee was on the radio the other day saying as how they thought they were basically tied, but thought strength of schedule was the first thing to consider.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2014, 08:23:51 pm »
They're also trying to pick the best teams *right now* (subject to overall record constraints, obviously). TCU as they stand right now is a superior team to Baylor without Petty (if he is in fact out).

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2014, 08:32:04 pm »
They're also trying to pick the best teams *right now* (subject to overall record constraints, obviously). TCU as they stand right now is a superior team to Baylor without Petty (if he is in fact out).

Ole Miss and Auburn are probably superior teams to FSU, but that's not how it works.  When you change your process for crowning the winner, you have to change your thought process too.  The "best team" no longer matters.  You've made it that way by having a playoff system.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2014, 09:26:57 pm »
Ole Miss and Auburn are probably superior teams to FSU, but that's not how it works.  When you change your process for crowning the winner, you have to change your thought process too.  The "best team" no longer matters.  You've made it that way by having a playoff system.

The criteria of the committee is to pick the "best teams". I heard that repeatedly this weekend. If they wanted to take the subjectivity out of the playoff system they would have just put in conference champions.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2014, 09:27:55 pm »

There's no way Ole Miss is superior to FSU, and I doubt that Auburn is, either. I'm no fan of FSU, and I really think that they should have lost 3 games this year, but they didn't. That's why I referred to "overall record constraints". They're going to take the best records, and then they're going to start using more subjective criteria, including current physical condition. That's where I think TCU has the edge over Baylor.

Plus the fact that allowing 46 points to this year's Tech squad should automatically disqualify you.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2014, 09:36:23 pm »
1.  They sure didn't act like it when Baylor beat them.
2.  You're no longer looking to simply identify the "best team", you're looking to actually crown a National Champion.  There is a fundamental difference in simply picking who you think is the best team and now having a playoff competition where the winners advance. 

I agree with your sentiment that if it comes down to TCU or Baylor the head-to-head should be the decider. But if they are trying to pick the best team I think TCU has an edge now going into the final weekend. TCU has a non-conference win, decidedly so, against Minnesota which is a whole lot better than Baylor's non-conference schedule. And a 3-point differential on Baylor's home field looks like a draw to me if I'm on the committee. It just doesn't tell you that much.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2014, 09:54:05 pm »
If Baylor beats K-state next week they will jump ahead of TCU.  If they don't and TCU wins, then they won't have a "tie breaker" to worry about.

If they both lose then there won't be a Big 12 team in the playoff to worry about anyway.

Why would Baylor beating K-State vault Baylor over TCU? It may but where is the logic in that? TCU has already defeated K-State.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2014, 10:00:52 pm »
Why would Baylor beating K-State vault Baylor over TCU? It may but where is the logic in that? TCU has already defeated K-State.

The strength of schedule would be close enough that the head to head win should come into play.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2014, 07:31:07 am »
They're going to take the best records, and then they're going to start using more subjective criteria, including current physical condition. That's where I think TCU has the edge over Baylor.

Plus the fact that allowing 46 points to this year's Tech squad should automatically disqualify you.

So giving up 46 points to Tech should count...lots...like all that matters, but losing to the team that gave up 46 points to Tech shouldn't count at all. Got it.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2014, 07:34:54 am »
The criteria of the committee is to pick the "best teams". I heard that repeatedly this weekend. If they wanted to take the subjectivity out of the playoff system they would have just put in conference champions.

So the goal wasn't to have a playoff to take the subjectivity out of it, it was to introduce more subjectivity by taking it away from computers and putting it into the hands of the people who have a dog in the fight?  1) that's the dumbest thing college football could have ever done. 2) I don't believe the NCAA is that stupid.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2014, 08:01:26 am »
So the goal wasn't to have a playoff to take the subjectivity out of it, it was to introduce more subjectivity by taking it away from computers and putting it into the hands of the people who have a dog in the fight?  1) that's the dumbest thing college football could have ever done. 2) I don't believe the NCAA is that stupid.

Of course it's subjective. Just by choosing the criteria that they may use makes it subjective based on the criteria choices.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2014, 04:07:25 pm »
Of course it's subjective. Just by choosing the criteria that they may use makes it subjective based on the criteria choices.

There's subjectivity in everything.  But the subjectivity in picking a BCS champion is what all the knashing of teeth has been about since its inception.  The idea is to minimize it and make it clearer from the get go.  No one wants a champion picked in a single smoke-filled room.  

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 02, 2014, 08:15:18 am »
The champion won't be selected, the top 4 will be. The champion will be determined in games.  There will always be someone who is the 1st team out who has a gripe about being left out.  Doesn't matter if there are 4 or 68. 

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2014, 09:03:59 am »
From Tim Cowlishaw's Dallas Morning News column today:  Referring to his conversation with Jeff Long, Arkansas AD and committee chairman, "I asked him if they were trying to pick the four most deserving teams or the four best. He stated emphatically that their mission from the start was to pick the four best. Nothing else matters."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2014, 09:28:20 am »
The champion will be determined in games.

If they pick TCU over Baylor, it blows that theory out of the water.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2014, 09:29:44 am »
From Tim Cowlishaw's Dallas Morning News column today:  Referring to his conversation with Jeff Long, Arkansas AD and committee chairman, "I asked him if they were trying to pick the four most deserving teams or the four best. He stated emphatically that their mission from the start was to pick the four best. Nothing else matters."

In other words, they still don't want a true National Champion, they just want more control in picking a #1 team.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2014, 09:29:44 am »
If they pick TCU over Baylor, it blows that theory out of the water.

Even if Petty is unavailable?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2014, 09:35:07 am »

If Baylor wins and wins the Big XII, yes. They beat TCU. You cannot go back in time and change that.  If you want it determined "on the field", you must acknowledge that indisputable fact. If you don't acknowledged it, you're simply arbitrarily picking a "champion". Which is what you've been doing for over 100 years. Just don't act like you've improved things.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2014, 09:44:04 am »
It will be interesting to see how the committee handles OSU losing their qb if they win Saturday.  The men's basketball committee takes injuries into account (see Cincy in 2000 losing a 1-seed after Kenyon Martin broke his leg).  Have they made any public statements about this?
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2014, 09:58:12 am »
If Baylor wins and wins the Big XII, yes. They beat TCU. You cannot go back in time and change that.  If you want it determined "on the field", you must acknowledge that indisputable fact. If you don't acknowledged it, you're simply arbitrarily picking a "champion". Which is what you've been doing for over 100 years. Just don't act like you've improved things.

The only substantive difference is that instead of arbitrarily picking 2 that settle it on the field, you are arbitrarily picking 4 that settle in on the field. I predict within a few years, that will be 8 (which strikes me as a good number for football).
  -  Orson Welles

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2014, 10:02:52 am »
It will be interesting to see how the committee handles OSU losing their qb if they win Saturday.  The men's basketball committee takes injuries into account (see Cincy in 2000 losing a 1-seed after Kenyon Martin broke his leg).  Have they made any public statements about this?

I haven't heard any public statements, but I may well have missed them.

I keep forgetting that Baylor still has to play K State, so I see HH's point: if Baylor beats K State with Petty, they clearly win the Big 12 on the basis of beating TCU head to head; if they beat K State without Petty, they still win on the basis of the head-to-head win, plus they must still be pretty decent even with their backup QB; and if they lose to K State, the problem takes care of itself.

I expect Wisconsin to throttle OSU, so I don't think the committee will be put in the position of having to address the question in OSU's case.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2014, 10:43:44 am »
The only substantive difference is that instead of arbitrarily picking 2 that settle it on the field, you are arbitrarily picking 4 that settle in on the field. I predict within a few years, that will be 8 (which strikes me as a good number for football).

You are exactly right BD. And this is ok with me because there will never be a perfect way to pick a  tournament. At least we will get three playoff games rather than one. IT's all about the games to me. If they go to eight teams they perhaps should look at automatics for the five power conferences and the three at-large teams which would then be subjectively chosen.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2014, 10:47:06 am »

If both Baylor and TCU win this weekend the conference will declare "co-champions". They are said they will not give it to one based on head-to-head. I don't agree with that but it's what they have proclaimed.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2014, 10:54:07 am »
There is one more week of football.  Let's see how things stand after that.  Things will either be crystal clear or very muddy depending on how this weekends games turn out. 

If Baylor beats K-State, I think they will jump TCU, regardless of how TCU beats I-State. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2014, 10:57:40 am »
You are exactly right BD. And this is ok with me because there will never be a perfect way to pick a  tournament. At least we will get three playoff games rather than one.

The "playoff" games are just the regularly scheduled bowl games.  Then the "championship" game.  You're not getting any more games out of this, you're just having to wait until after the bowl games to know who's in the "championship" game.  And while there is no perfect way to pick this, there are much better ways than what they're doing.  If Alabama, Oregon, FSU and OSU all lose, and Baylor wins, they're in a position where possibly no team in their "tournament" even won their conference.  Unlikely, but just the thought of it makes you realize what an asinine way this really is.  The way they're trying to squeeze out FSU does the same.  The idea of the tournament being "keep winning/keep advancing" seems foreign to them. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2014, 10:58:51 am »
If both Baylor and TCU win this weekend the conference will declare "co-champions". They are said they will not give it to one based on head-to-head. I don't agree with that but it's what they have proclaimed.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.  That's way dumber than the Cardinals "co-division championship".  That is clearly trying to cover the collective butt of the selection committee.

Will the loser of the "championship" game be declared "co-champions"?  After all, you can't consider a head-to-head matchup...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:01:40 am by HudsonHawk »

T. J.

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2014, 02:00:35 pm »
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.  That's way dumber than the Cardinals "co-division championship".  That is clearly trying to cover the collective butt of the selection committee.

Will the loser of the "championship" game be declared "co-champions"?  After all, you can't consider a head-to-head matchup...

To make it even more ridiculous:

"Only if TCU and Baylor are both left out of the top four would the league acknowledge Baylor's head-to-head win over TCU."

From:  http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11964184/big-12-present-tcu-baylor-co-champions

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2014, 02:02:22 pm »
To make it even more ridiculous:

"Only if TCU and Baylor are both left out of the top four would the league acknowledge Baylor's head-to-head win over TCU."

From:  http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11964184/big-12-present-tcu-baylor-co-champions

That's hilariously asinine. "One True Champion" forsooth.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 02:05:17 pm by Bench »

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2014, 02:32:51 pm »
UAB football program apparently going belly up.

If not resurrected somehow, it will be the first FBS school since 1995 to do so.

Andyzipp

« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2014, 04:25:19 pm »
That's hilariously asinine. "One True Champion" forsooth.

One True Champion*

*Margin of error +/- 1 champion

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2014, 04:54:30 pm »
Related to the co-champs discussion, I like this sign for GameDay in Waco this weekend:
https://twitter.com/cuppycup/status/539617349109055488/photo/1

This one also hits home:
https://twitter.com/nick_pants/status/539804069032763392/photo/1
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2014, 07:45:57 am »
TCU junps Florida State to #3, Baylor to #6 behind OSU.  They may be trying to squeeze FSU out of it.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 03, 2014, 11:50:16 am »
UAB football program apparently going belly up.

If not resurrected somehow, it will be the first FBS school since 1995 to do so.

If they had just dropped to FCS, maybe Alabama would have finally played them.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 03, 2014, 12:56:29 pm »
TCU junps Florida State to #3, Baylor to #6 behind OSU.  They may be trying to squeeze FSU out of it.

Of course that's what they're trying to do.  The committee desperately wants the Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 and SEC.  They want FSU out...they NEED FSU out.  The ACC is almost as bad as having the Mountain West (the reason they have the BCS in the first place).  Jameis Winston being an embarrasment only fortifies their desire. 

On a side note, this probably puts to rest any notion that Baylor will jump TCU. 

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 03, 2014, 01:03:49 pm »
Of course that's what they're trying to do.  The committee desperately wants the Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 and SEC.  They want FSU out...they NEED FSU out.  The ACC is almost as bad as having the Mountain West (the reason they have the BCS in the first place).  Jameis Winston being an embarrasment only fortifies their desire. 

On a side note, this probably puts to rest any notion that Baylor will jump TCU. 

Well the ACC did win all four of their games against the SEC this weekend.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2014, 01:26:30 pm »

But the selection committee is not stacked with pimps for the ACC.  They only have one.  The SEC has two (including the chairman).  The Big 10 has two, including two of the three former coaches (three depending on how you look at Tyrone Willingham who's a grad of Michigan State, but coached at Notre Dame, Stanford and Washington).  The Pac 12 has three or four. 

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2014, 09:53:10 am »

EAST - SEC East - Unranked Fla took FSU to the limit.  Unranked and losing record Kentucky lost by 4 to 21st ranked Louisville.  22nd Clemson handily beat South Carolina who is a .500 team this year.  The only upset of the bunch was #16 Ga Tech beating #9 Georgia in Overtime. 

They were supposed to win 3 of those games anyway.  the SEC East is a weak this year.  Even division champ Missouri was pushed to the limit by last place SEC West team Arkansas.

sporadic

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2014, 10:09:42 am »
last place SEC West team Arkansas.

That might be the best bad team I have ever seen.  Or just completely snakebit.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2014, 10:11:58 am »
That might be the best bad team I have ever seen.  Or just completely snakebit.

I still don't get how A&M beat Arky, but lost (badly) to the Ole Miss team Arky shut out.  Bielma's creating a defensive monster there, and it just took 3/4 of the season to get functional.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

sporadic

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2014, 10:46:59 am »
I still don't get how A&M beat Arky

That is the snakebit part...A&M had no business winning that game.  They were physically dominated (not like that is a rare occurrence, though). 

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2014, 11:52:17 am »
I still don't get how A&M beat Arky, but lost (badly) to the Ole Miss team Arky shut out.  Bielma's creating a defensive monster there, and it just took 3/4 of the season to get functional.

It's going to be interesting to see how Bielma does with Arky. He's known for good defense and a power run game. Can he get the recruits from Texas and surrounding states away from the flashier schools and offenses?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2014, 10:56:52 pm »
Well, no one bailed out the committee and the Big XII's stupidity. The top six teams all won. My guess is Alabama, Oregon, Ohio St and Florida St. And I guess I'm Ok with that.  If they for some reason leave out FSU or take TCU, it's a joke.

remy

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2014, 11:05:30 pm »
Okay so I am getting reports that Briles went OFF on the cowardly Big XII commissioner after the game. After the "co-champion trophy" ceremony, he "got in Bowlsby's face. There wasn't cussing.. but he was putting a finger in his face saying: we're the Champs....no co-champs -- champs." Phil Bennett was going off on him too but "backed off and threw his hands up because Briles had his hair on fire." AWESOME.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2014, 11:11:22 pm »
Okay so I am getting reports that Briles went OFF on the cowardly Big XII commissioner after the game. After the "co-champion trophy" ceremony, he "got in Bowlsby's face. There wasn't cussing.. but he was putting a finger in his face saying: we're the Champs....no co-champs -- champs." Phil Bennett was going off on him too but "backed off and threw his hands up because Briles had his hair on fire." AWESOME.

It's ridiculous. The Big XII is a laughingstock, and TCU should be embarrassed to have their "co-champion" trophy. 

remy

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2014, 11:15:01 pm »
It's ridiculous. The Big XII is a laughingstock, and TCU should be embarrassed to have their "co-champion" trophy. 

That too... reminds me so much of the 2001 Co-ards/Astros "controversy."  There's no controversy, dipshits... we won the head-to-head tiebreaker, we're champions.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2014, 05:31:09 am »
I have no problem with TCU being ranked ahead of Baylor in any national poll, but Baylor should be the outright Big 12 Champion. The Co-Championship is bogus.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2014, 06:32:42 am »
I have no problem with TCU being ranked ahead of Baylor in any national poll, but Baylor should be the outright Big 12 Champion. The Co-Championship is bogus.
Exactly.  On balance, TCU had a better season ... better wins and a better loss than Baylor ... especially when it was by a mere three points.  That said, TCU laid an egg at the end of the Baylor game, costing themselves the Big XII championship and an undefeated season that would cement their spot in the national championship playoff.  But Baylor won the Big XII by the rules that were in place before the cowards caved.
Up in the Air

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2014, 10:00:54 am »
I expect Wisconsin to throttle OSU, so I don't think the committee will be put in the position of having to address the question in OSU's case.

I'm like fuckin' Nostradamus.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2014, 10:03:43 am »

You are amazing.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2014, 11:01:51 am »
It's a no win for the committee. There are arguments, although somewhat tortured, for all six teams.  They won't do it, but leaving FSU out, shouldn't be out of the question.  In an environment of imbalanced schedules, being undefeated isn't that meaningful, IMO.

Hopefully, they will soon go to an eight-team, conference champion format in the near future. No one will have a legit bitch.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2014, 11:17:38 am »
It's a no win for the committee. There are arguments, although somewhat tortured, for all six teams.  They won't do it, but leaving FSU out, shouldn't be out of the question.  In an environment of imbalanced schedules, being undefeated isn't that meaningful, IMO.

There is no argument for moving FSU out. Not even a reaching one. That would be a billion times more ridiculous than moving Alabama out. Being undefeated should outweigh anything and everything.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 07, 2014, 11:19:50 am »

If you want to rank TCU ahead of Baylor, fine. But don't act as if you have some sort of playoff. You can't  have both.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 07, 2014, 11:29:31 am »
There is no argument for moving FSU out. Not even a reaching one. That would be a billion times more ridiculous than moving Alabama out. Being undefeated should outweigh anything and everything.
Sure there is. They want the four best teams and they aren't that good. Just watch their games, always struggling against shit teams.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 07, 2014, 11:33:13 am »
Sure there is. They want the four best teams and they aren't that good. Just watch their games, always struggling against shit teams.

Then quit acting like you have a playoff and now have a National Champion. You have neither. You cannot have a playoff and leave out an undefeated team. Period.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 07, 2014, 11:45:42 am »
OSU.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 07, 2014, 12:00:52 pm »
This dude from the committee is pretty much a joke. Saying it was clear cut for the top three and clear cut between four five and six.  Giving me a stupid "wins against bowl eligible teams" argument.

I would respect him if he just said "this is the system, all teams were close, and we honestly don't know who are the best teams."

remy

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2014, 12:08:01 pm »

austrodamus.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2014, 12:32:11 pm »
The committee is stacked with Big 10 guys. No way Ohio St doesn't get in. The were positioning the "couldn't decide between Baylor and TCU argument by moving TCU up last week. And that's fine. I have no complaints about the four they picked. In fact, I hope they come out and say "we'd have liked to have the Big XII champion in there, but they refused to name one so we had to go with the conference that did."  

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 07, 2014, 02:56:38 pm »
The committee is stacked with Big 10 guys. No way Ohio St doesn't get in. The were positioning the "couldn't decide between Baylor and TCU argument by moving TCU up last week. And that's fine. I have no complaints about the four they picked. In fact, I hope they come out and say "we'd have liked to have the Big XII champion in there, but they refused to name one so we had to go with the conference that did."  

I believe it's in the by-laws of the Big 12 that a co-champion will be declared in such a situation as we have. According to Bowlesby it was voted as such unanimously by the conference ADs. I'm not defending it...I think it's ridiculous but that is my understanding. I'm sure it will change now.

WakePhil

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 07, 2014, 05:01:27 pm »
I believe it's in the by-laws of the Big 12 that a co-champion will be declared in such a situation as we have. According to Bowlesby it was voted as such unanimously by the conference ADs. I'm not defending it...I think it's ridiculous but that is my understanding. I'm sure it will change now.

If true, that makes their slogan choice even more absurd. The name of the conference and the slogan are both factually inconsistent with the bylaws.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2014, 05:15:20 pm »
I never understood in the first place - the confs with a championship game are definitely guaranteed to have one champion? Is that not a true champion?
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2014, 10:16:06 pm »

I don't think that's correct. I think the conference bylaws state that head to head is the first tie breaker, but the conference decided this absurdity this year when faced with the possibility that their champion may not be the highest ranked team. So they declined to enforce their rules and name a champion. In short, they simply shit the bed.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 07, 2014, 10:20:05 pm »
I think the distinction is that there is a tiebreaker to determine tie-in bowl participation, but not "champions" per se
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 07, 2014, 10:25:08 pm »
I think the distinction is that there is a tiebreaker to determine tie-in bowl participation, but not "champions" per se

How is that any sort of distinction?  Declare a conference champion. However that is, by whatever mechanism you want to put into place. This "well, we'll wait and see what the selection committee does before we decide" is the definition of being a pussy. They don't deserve representation in the playoff, if for no other reason than they're gutless.

If I'm the Fiesta Bowl, I tell the Big XII "fuck you, we agreed to take the conference champion. You don't have one. We'll go with a conference that does. Call us when you get your shit together."

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:29:45 pm by HudsonHawk »

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 07, 2014, 10:33:25 pm »
Well, the Fiesta Bowl is Boise vs. Arizona, so I guess mission accomplished. That said, Baylor is in the Cotton Bowl and TCU is in the Peach Bowl, so I guess the tiebreaker mattered a bit.
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2014, 10:41:30 pm »
Well, the Fiesta Bowl is Boise vs. Arizona, so I guess mission accomplished. That said, Baylor is in the Cotton Bowl and TCU is in the Peach Bowl, so I guess the tiebreaker mattered a bit.

So the Big XII no longer affiliated with the Fiesta?  I didn't know that. At any rate, there is no tie breaker, otherwise there's be a conference champion. I just hate this fucking "it's a tie" shit, especially when the two teams played each other. I saw sign in the Baylor game last night that read "Germany: WWII co-champion."  That's about the size of it. The Big XII is like the Special Olympics if college football. Everyone gets a trophy.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 08, 2014, 06:55:21 am »
I don't think that's correct. I think the conference bylaws state that head to head is the first tie breaker, but the conference decided this absurdity this year when faced with the possibility that their champion may not be the highest ranked team. So they declined to enforce their rules and name a champion. In short, they simply shit the bed.

Could be. But it gets worse. In his news conference yesterday Patterson referred to a coaches vote on the co-champion and he said every coach in that room voted for it except one and they were not one of the teams involved in the controversy.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 08, 2014, 07:40:54 am »
blah blah blah ... "Germany: WWII co-champion." 
SFN (or at least it would be if it mattered)
Up in the Air

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 08, 2014, 08:54:26 am »
This came dpen to a  big time football program that will put lots of AIS and be a big TV draw versus 2 small private schools.  The fact that the Big 12 didn't have a real conerence champ just gave the commitee an out.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 08, 2014, 09:04:56 am »
This came dpen to a  big time football program that will put lots of AIS and be a big TV draw versus 2 small private schools.  The fact that the Big 12 didn't have a real conerence champ just gave the commitee an out.
Maybe. Or maybe it has been destined by nature all along to draw a huge TV audience and have the games all sell out.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 08, 2014, 09:26:23 am »

This is idiotic.
  -  Orson Welles

Duke

• View Profile

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 08, 2014, 10:12:44 am »
Maybe, but I'm not the only one.
http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2014/12/7/7348923/size-matters-cfp-playoff-selections

Of course size matters. If UT had been in TCU's spot, you can bet your ass they'd be in the playoff.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 08, 2014, 10:25:21 am »
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 08, 2014, 08:39:09 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come into play some. But the fact that OSU won one more game than either TCU or Baylor, had a strength of schedule advantage, and won their conference were all very convenient reasons to choose OSU. It also kept the committee from that messy decision of choosing between the two B12 schools. I heard this morning that we may not get an 8 team playoff for a decade or more because of the tv contract now working under.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 08, 2014, 09:15:30 pm »
Yeah, I remember hearing for years that the existing bowl structure, contracts, academic concerns, etc would prevent a playoff.  When they finally wanted a playoff, all of the lame reasons melted away.  The present impediments will also disappear if they decide to expand.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 08, 2014, 10:04:51 pm »
They won't go to an 8-team playoff, it would be boring. It would take out pretty much all of the controversy, along with the self importance of the committee members. That's the last thing they want.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 09, 2014, 05:20:40 am »
Of course size matters. If UT had been in TCU's spot, you can bet your ass they'd be in the playoff.

But where is this ridiculous imaginary line drawn? UT and OU but not Oklahoma State?  What if it was Stanford or Notre Dame vying for the fourth seed, two private schools with similar enrollments as Baylor and TCU but greater intrinsic football value on a national scale?

Andyzipp

« Reply #193 on: December 09, 2014, 06:21:12 am »
They won't go to an 8-team playoff, it would be boring. It would take out pretty much all of the controversy, along with the self importance of the committee members. That's the last thing they want.

Not before the end of the current TV contract, anyway.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 09, 2014, 07:15:19 am »
I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come into play some. But the fact that OSU won one more game than either TCU or Baylor, had a strength of schedule advantage, and won their conference were all very convenient reasons to choose OSU. It also kept the committee from that messy decision of choosing between the two B12 schools. I heard this morning that we may not get an 8 team playoff for a decade or more because of the tv contract now working under.

I thought TCU had a better strength of schedule?

All of the logical argument points favored TCU.  The 3 reasons Ohio St. got in were conference championship, they are a bigger TV draw than TCU/Baylor, and the Big 10 had more influential representation on the committee than the Big 12.  The 4 team playoff is much better than the BCS, but it is still riddled with the same problems that are at the core of college football.

Disclaimer: I'm a UT guy and don't care about the Big 12. 

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 09, 2014, 09:17:30 am »

The 3 reasons Ohio St. got in were conference championship, they are a bigger TV draw than TCU/Baylor, and the Big 10 had more influential representation on the committee...
I am dubious about the TV viewer issue. It is a national championship tournament, not an Ohio State vs WMU game. It is its own draw, everyone who gives a shit about football will watch it. But on second thought you are probably correct, the committee would likely be giving it no more thought than saying "OSU, hmmmm. It's a big 'un!"

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 09, 2014, 10:27:49 am »
But where is this ridiculous imaginary line drawn? UT and OU but not Oklahoma State?  What if it was Stanford or Notre Dame vying for the fourth seed, two private schools with similar enrollments as Baylor and TCU but greater intrinsic football value on a national scale?

Somwhere around where the ridiculous imaginary "quality wins" and "strength of schedule" lines are, I'd say.  

And if Notre Dame were anywhere near the top 10, you can bet the committee would do everything they could to get them in the top 4.  They're Notre Dame, after all. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 09, 2014, 10:30:41 am »
I am dubious about the TV viewer issue. It is a national championship tournament, not an Ohio State vs WMU game. It is its own draw, everyone who gives a shit about football will watch it. But on second thought you are probably correct, the committee would likely be giving it no more thought than saying "OSU, hmmmm. It's a big 'un!"

I won't be watching it.  I thought I might be with the guise of a "playoff", but seeing that it's the same old shit, I won't be watching anything that happens after New Year's Day.  But that's another story. 

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 09, 2014, 10:32:13 am »
I won't be watching anything that happens after New Year's Day. 

Not even the Armed Forces bowl? Where is your cougar pride?

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 09, 2014, 10:33:12 am »
I won't be watching it.  I thought I might be with the guise of a "playoff", but seeing that it's the same old shit, I won't be watching anything that happens after New Year's Day.  But that's another story. 

Which you've told previously.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 09, 2014, 10:47:29 am »
Not even the Armed Forces bowl? Where is your cougar pride?

I'd be prouder if they'd play on or before New Year's Day.  And speaking of bowls...I tried to get tickets to the Texas Bowl, even before they announced the teams, but they were sold out.  Even as a PSL owner, for which I'm supposed to get priority seating, no dice. 

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 09, 2014, 11:01:27 am »

How about the fact that the final game is in Arlington and Baylor and TCU would not travel that well, i.e. spend a couple of nights in fancy hotels, as would OSU fans?
I don't think there is anything to that but it's out there with other conspiracy theories.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 09, 2014, 11:15:08 am »
I'd be prouder if they'd play on or before New Year's Day.  And speaking of bowls...I tried to get tickets to the Texas Bowl, even before they announced the teams, but they were sold out.  Even as a PSL owner, for which I'm supposed to get priority seating, no dice. 

Even as a PSL owner, you only get a priority opportunity to purchase tickets for the kick-off bowl and the Texas bowl.*

* if you also agree to purchase tickets to another shitty, undesirable game as well. 

I wanted to get the LSU/Wisconsin game seats, but I wasn't going to pay the same price for the Battle of the Piney woods or whatever equivalent slop of shit they were packaging together with the premier game like a good old fashioned mortgage ABS.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 15, 2014, 11:05:49 am »
Sounds like the Coogs have made a hire.  Tom Herman OC at Ohio State.  Was the OC at Iowa state prior to OSU and Rice OC prior to that.  Very excited about this hire.  He was the 1 candidate I think can get us back to playing fun offense...now if he can just keep David Gibbs on staff.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 15, 2014, 11:09:57 am »
Sounds like the Coogs have made a hire.  Tom Herman OC at Ohio State.  Was the OC at Iowa state prior to OSU and Rice OC prior to that.  Very excited about this hire.  He was the 1 candidate I think can get us back to playing fun offense...now if he can just keep David Gibbs on staff.

After all the awful names that had been floated (Muschamp, Kiffin, etc...) this is a breach of fresh air. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 15, 2014, 11:10:00 am »

He's been on the short list for a lot of programs.  Definitely a rising star.  The problem is, he's another Briles or Sumlin.  Much success, and he'll be gone to a bigger program.  That's life for UofH unless they somehow get an invite to a major conference. 

On a side note...what do you consider "fun" offense?

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 15, 2014, 11:14:27 am »
He's been on the short list for a lot of programs.  Definitely a rising star.  The problem is, he's another Briles or Sumlin.  Much success, and he'll be gone to a bigger program.  That's life for UofH unless they somehow get an invite to a major conference. 

For me, it is one that is prepared.  I didn't think they were prepared this year.

One thing about Gibbs, his wife likes Houston.  At some point, she may decide she likes another place better, but he is the only football coach (minus head) that has more than a one-year contract.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

drew corleone

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 15, 2014, 01:22:25 pm »
Did I see that The Major is joining the staff at UH?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 15, 2014, 01:31:40 pm »
Did I see that The Major is joining the staff at UH?

Depends...who is "The Major"?

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 15, 2014, 01:39:16 pm »

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 15, 2014, 01:40:10 pm »
The burnt orange one.

Ah...the one who's been working his way down the career ladder. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 15, 2014, 02:12:58 pm »

vastly overrated

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 15, 2014, 02:24:58 pm »

One that isn't run by Levine/Bush.  Or at least one that can score more than 7 points vs UTSA.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 15, 2014, 03:45:48 pm »
One that isn't run by Levine/Bush.  Or at least one that can score more than 7 points vs UTSA.

I don't mind 7 points as long as you give up 6 or fewer. I'm a three yards and a cloud of dust kind of football fan. I like running the ball.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 15, 2014, 03:56:23 pm »
I don't mind 7 points as long as you give up 6 or fewer. I'm a three yards and a cloud of dust kind of football fan. I like running the ball.

Ohio State ran the ball 550+ times vs passing 350 times with Herman as OC.

Obviously they aren't running I formation up the middle, cloud of dust type stuff.   Which will never work at a school like UofH.  You don't have to be Air Raid, but you do need a scheme to take advantage of the type of kids you can recruit.  Yeoman, Pardee, Briles and Sumlin understood that.  Helton, Dimel and Levine not so much.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 15, 2014, 07:25:09 pm »
You don't have to be Air Raid, but you do need a scheme to take advantage of the type of kids you can recruit. 

Wishbone baby!!

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 15, 2014, 07:53:22 pm »

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 16, 2014, 05:45:20 am »
Love the the UofH HC hiring.

drew corleone

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 16, 2014, 10:21:20 am »

That would be the one.

drew corleone

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 16, 2014, 10:21:38 am »
vastly overrated

Also an acceptable answer.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 16, 2014, 02:44:27 pm »
Just curious, overrated as what?  A play caller, recruiter, QB coach? 

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 16, 2014, 07:42:41 pm »
Just curious, overrated as what?  A play caller, recruiter, QB coach? 

Good recruiter, overrated in all other aspects.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 16, 2014, 11:19:17 pm »
Good recruiter

He may be a good closer, but it's not clear to me that he's all that great a judge of talent.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 17, 2014, 09:01:55 am »
Good recruiter, overrated in all other aspects.

I thought you Longhorns loved him.  Has he always been that way, or is it a recent thing? 

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 17, 2014, 09:11:53 am »
I thought you Longhorns loved him.  Has he always been that way, or is it a recent thing? 

Even his teammates didn't like him.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: December 17, 2014, 09:16:25 am »

Isn't he well-liked by the coeds?  He was considered something of a star when he was at Rice.

drew corleone

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 17, 2014, 11:17:57 am »

I was lukewarm toward him when he was here, and my opinion of him has waned from that not-so-lofty height ever since.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 17, 2014, 12:00:55 pm »
If he gets hired and can recruit, I am good with that.  I think Herman will be running the offense.

Had no idea UT fans had soured on Major so much though. 

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 17, 2014, 04:54:56 pm »

Which is the real reason that Chris Simms started.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 17, 2014, 04:55:38 pm »
Had no idea UT fans had soured on Major so much though. 

I thought he was a good guy who was too highly praised by our fancies.

Then came the news of the affair, and that was it for me.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 17, 2014, 05:31:07 pm »
I thought he was a good guy who was too highly praised by our fancies.

Then came the news of the affair, and that was it for me.

What affair?

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 17, 2014, 05:54:04 pm »
Pelini named HC at Youngstown State after going out with the class, style and graciousness he's always been known for. Addressing his players in an exit meeting held at a high school, he spent most of the time excoriating Nebraska AD Shawn Eichorst including these comments:

"He is a fucking lawyer who makes policies. That’s all he’s done since he’s been here is hire people and make policies to cover his own ass.”

“The guy, you guys saw him (Sunday), the guy is a total pussy. I mean, he is, and he's a total cunt.”

And now we know why he's coaching at Youngstown State (interesting that the president there is Jim Tressel).

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 17, 2014, 05:55:33 pm »

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 17, 2014, 06:40:57 pm »
This one.

Most people never get my jokes, but et tu Bench?

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 17, 2014, 09:47:01 pm »
Most people never get my jokes, but et tu Bench?

It's hard to entertain an uninformed audience.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 17, 2014, 09:48:18 pm »
Pelini named HC at Youngstown State after going out with the class, style and graciousness he's always been known for. Addressing his players in an exit meeting held at a high school, he spent most of the time excoriating Nebraska AD Shawn Eichorst including these comments:

And now we know why he's coaching at Youngstown State (interesting that the president there is Jim Tressel).

Holy shit that's hilarious. Calling your former boss a cunt on the way out the door is always such a great idea.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 18, 2014, 07:07:21 am »
Holy shit that's hilarious. Calling your former boss a cunt on the way out the door is always such a great idea.

I guess he won't be using him as a reference.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 27, 2015, 05:08:50 pm »

Andyzipp

« Reply #238 on: March 03, 2015, 05:06:09 pm »
Sue new employer, retain job. Love it!

You know that's not really what's happening, right?

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 21, 2015, 05:22:08 pm »
Art Briles is on the hot seat. Chris Peterson calls bullshit on Briles.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 21, 2015, 06:41:32 pm »
Art Briles is on the hot seat. Chris Peterson calls bullshit on Briles.

Yeah, there's no way to thread your way through the middle there. One of the guys is lying.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 21, 2015, 07:49:51 pm »
Wrong thread
Oye. Vamos, vamos.