Author Topic: Rule 5  (Read 21276 times)

pots

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Rule 5
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:53:36 am »
Jayne has published A Rule 5 Draft Primer and 2014 Astros Eligible Players

List just looking at the interesting ones:
*RHP Mike Foltynewicz
LHP Tommy Shirley
*RHP Nick Tropeano
*OF Delino DeShields
*RHP Michael Feliz
*RHP Vincent Velasquez

Looking at the current 40 man it isn't hard to find 6 spots. 

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
Re: Rule 5
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 03:16:11 am »
Jayne has published A Rule 5 Draft Primer and 2014 Astros Eligible Players

Looking at the current 40 man it isn't hard to find 6 spots. 

Clemens, Guzman, Krauss, Martinez, Owens, Presley, Zeid spring to mind. Carter, unless his hot streak ends up looking like he's figured it out. Anybody going to be a FA? Veras? Crain? Downs?

Rumor is they're willing to listen to offers for Qualls and Sipp, so depending on the return those spots could be vacated.

Side note, it gets tricky adding a guy like Feliz who's only in A-ball. It could conceivably be 3 years you have to carry him before he even gets a call-up.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

roadrunner

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 08:56:16 am »
How is Feliz already rule V eligible?

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 10:31:45 am »

Number of years in pro ball, I believe.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 10:32:43 am »

Because he was signed at age 16 (5th year).

hubert

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 10:40:15 am »

Actually he was eligible last season!?

Similar case like Brewers' pick Wei-Chung Wang  from Pirates this year.
A's voided his contract before Astros re-signed him.
Any player re-sign a new contract will be eligible next year. I need to check the rule again.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 11:56:48 am »
Actually he was eligible last season!?

Not according to this list from McTaggart.

Similar case like Brewers' pick Wei-Chung Wang  from Pirates this year. A's voided his contract before Astros re-signed him. Any player re-sign a new contract will be eligible next year. I need to check the rule again.

I'm no expert on that particular rule 5 quirk, but I think the distinction is the Pirates voided Wang's contract and then signed him again at a lower dollar figure. I don't think the exception applies if a *different* organization signs the player after the contract has been voided.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 12:23:01 pm »
I'm correct in what I said above about a different organization signing a player after a voided contract. The relevant provision is MLR 5(c)(2):

(2) A player who is re-signed by a Club within one year from the date the Club released the player or voided the player's contract pursuant to the terms of such contract shall be subject to draft at the Rule 5 Selection Meeting following the date of the latest contract with that Club.

So that's how it applied to the Pirates and Wang.

hubert

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 12:28:04 pm »
I'm correct in what I said above about a different organization signing a player after a voided contract. The relevant provision is MLR 5(c)(2):

So that's how it applied to the Pirates and Wang.

Thanks! just find the rule, you are correct   :)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 05:55:23 pm »

BTW...it's "Rule 5", not "Rule V".
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 08:28:14 am »
BTW...it's "Rule 5", not "Rule V".
But I thought Feliz was latin.  No?
Up in the Air

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 03:17:14 pm »
But I thought Feliz was latin.  No?

Hispanic.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 11:37:44 am »
J.J. Cooper of BA with his take on some of the more difficult Rule 5 decisions facing the Astros this offseason.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 02:17:47 pm »
J.J. Cooper of BA with his take on some of the more difficult Rule 5 decisions facing the Astros this offseason.
To summarize, he lists Velazquez, DeShields, Tropeano, and Feliz as the sure-things to be protected.
Lists Jandal Gustave, Roberto Pena, Torreyes, and Danry Vazquez as guys who they may or may not have room to protect. Oddly, doesn't mention Shirley.

It does look like they're grooming Torreyes as a potential super-utility; he's been playing CF recently. While he has zero pop, let's take a moment to appreciate the fact that, in 99 games, 404 PA this year, he has only 23 Ks. For his MILB career, 120 BB and 119 K in 2,010 PA. And, he won't turn 22 until September.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 03:38:20 pm »
This article just goes over those who might be added, and assumes that finding room will be difficult.  I guess it's a point of contention amongst some people, but finding room on the 40 man for new players seems pretty easy to me. 

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 03:45:27 pm »
This article just goes over those who might be added, and assumes that finding room will be difficult.  I guess it's a point of contention amongst some people, but finding room on the 40 man for new players seems pretty easy to me. 

Have to find room off the 25 man for those that aren't ready

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 08:04:42 pm »
I would not be surprised to see a couple of those guys get packaged in a Fowler-type deal.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 09:36:39 pm »

There is a lot of trash on the 40 man that won't be missed for any of these guys.

But then of course, JD Martinez.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 11:23:19 am »
Jayne of WTHB with her updated list.

Reiterating and updating previous posts from above, "sure bet" guys needing protecting per JJ Cooper of BA include:

• VV
  • DDS
  • Feliz
  • Gustave

"Maybes" per Cooper include:

• Pena
  • Torreyes
  • Vasquez

Intriguing names not mentioned by Cooper:

• Shirley (would be tough to lose a lefty like him given his recent success and other clubs could certainly see value in him as a LOOGY who they could keep on the major league roster an entire season)
  • Guduan (too raw perhaps to draw other teams' interest despite being a southpaw who has touched 99 on the gun)
  • Tyson Perez (success in AFL this offseason raises profile but probably just a blip for an otherwise career minor league reliever)
  • Mitch Lambson (see Tyson Perez above)

40 man roster currently at 38 players. Certainly not hard to find names that could go to make room for some of the above: Petit, Krauss, Hoes, a pitcher or two.

The Rule 5 draft is scheduled for Dec 11.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:00:23 pm by Nate Colbert »

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 12:51:15 pm »
The Rule 5 draft is scheduled for Dec 11.

I think that's December XI.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 09:55:08 pm »
Per a Drellich tweet, 40-man rosters must be locked in by end of next week for purposes of the Rule 5.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 08:47:59 pm »
McTaggart with a blog entry listing players eligible to be taken (a few differences from that earlier WTHB list).

Drellich with his take on players who may or may not be added to the 40-man but doesn't necessarily add much to the JJ Cooper writeup from August (does say he doesn't think DDS will be protected which isn't a particular stretch at this point).

And to complete the links roundup, here's an article from Jonathan Mayo.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:14:31 pm by Nate Colbert »

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 10:06:44 am »
DDS will be protected. He still has prospect value, and it only takes one rebuilding team that can use him as a 5th OF/pinch-runner for a year and then give him some AAA time in 2016 if needed. I'll be very, very surprised if he's not either traded today, or protected.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 10:27:23 am »
DDS will be protected. He still has prospect value, and it only takes one rebuilding team that can use him as a 5th OF/pinch-runner for a year and then give him some AAA time in 2016 if needed. I'll be very, very surprised if he's not either traded today, or protected.

Luhnow has pointed out that pitchers are more likely to be taken as it is so difficult to hide a position player on a 25-man roster for a full season that is not ready to contribute with the bat which certainly describes DDS. I predict Felix and VV get the last two roster spots. We'll know soon.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 10:37:02 am »
I am always a bit flummoxed by these rules, so I'm probably missing the big picture, but to lose some prospect of value, while protecting the likes of Bass, Buchanan, Downs, etc seems like foolishness.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 10:53:03 am »
I am always a bit flummoxed by these rules, so I'm probably missing the big picture, but to lose some prospect of value, while protecting the likes of Bass, Buchanan, Downs, etc seems like foolishness.
I agree, although I'd love to see Buchanan succeed with the Astros.

Edit: you might add Krauss, Hoes, and maybe Petit and Deduno as guys who aren't likely to get snapped up by other clubs if you DFA them - or simply aren't worth keeping regardless *coughkrausscoughcough*

I know Shirley was discussed earlier in this thread, but Guduan is another intriguing LHP who would be a long-shot candidate to be taken if left exposed.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 11:03:34 am by Reuben »

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 01:32:55 pm »

Edit: you might add Krauss, . . .  or simply aren't worth keeping regardless *coughkrausscoughcough*

+1
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 03:10:34 pm »
Houston Astros ‏@astros  9 minutes ago
#Astros add IF Ronnie Torreyes and RHP Vincent Velasquez to their 40-man roster. Also, RHP Anthony Bass has been outrighted to Triple A.

DDS, Feliz, et. al. not protected.

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler  6 minutes ago
Unless something else is going on, strange to see the Astros not put Michael Feliz on the 40-man roster. Would be a prime Rule 5 candidate.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:41:45 pm by Nate Colbert »

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 03:51:17 pm »
DDS, Feliz, et. al. not protected.

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler  6 minutes ago
Unless something else is going on, strange to see the Astros not put Michael Feliz on the 40-man roster. Would be a prime Rule 5 candidate.

Seriously. Maybe I'm wrong about DeShields, but I really can't imagine they'd expose Feliz. Surely some team would love to stash him in the 'pen for a year and hope he can at least get some righties out and do some mop-up duty. I know he hasn't pitched above low-A, but he'd be a top-5 prospect for a lot of orgs, no?

Adding Torreyes is a bit of a surprise, in context.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 04:07:23 pm »
Seriously. Maybe I'm wrong about DeShields, but I really can't imagine they'd expose Feliz. Surely some team would love to stash him in the 'pen for a year and hope he can at least get some righties out and do some mop-up duty. I know he hasn't pitched above low-A, but he'd be a top-5 prospect for a lot of orgs, no?

Agree on Feliz. Makes me nervous. Isn't Torreyes a second-baseman? Like the deepest position in the organization?

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 04:11:30 pm »

Obviously, Luhnow & Co. must really love the guy and thought they'd lose him in the Rule 5. But with Petit on the major league roster and guys like Sclafani and Kemp dotting the minor league rosters, it's not as if the Astros don't have a bunch of (future) utility infielders already scurrying around. Granted none of those guys have any (or much) pop, but then again neither does Torreyes.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 04:18:34 pm »
Alex Freedman ‏@azfreedman  14m
Good move for Astros to protect Torreyes. Doesn't strikeout at all, plays multiple positions. Drew several raves from opposing scouts.

Freedman of course is the RedHawks broadcaster.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2014, 04:27:40 pm »
Tweetings from JJ Cooper of BA (@jjcoop36 follow him dammit!):

Feliz will be picked. Have already had front office officials tell me they'd be shocked if he doesn't go No. 1 in Rule 5.

I can't see Feliz not sticking in someone's pen. He will sit 94-98 (if not more) in 1 IP stints. Slider comes and goes but solid at its best.

Jandel Gustave is less of a prospect. But he's WAY better than Terrell Young, another 100 mph guy who went No. 1 in '08 Rule 5.

Could see Deshields getting picked too. Scouts do not like his makeup but has tools that could fit as a backup.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2014, 04:31:30 pm »
I was impressed by Torreyes hitting and fielding last spring. He hit well in OKC last year. He isn't much bigger than Altuve. Plays every position but 1B, P, and C.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 04:33:55 pm »
Isn't Torreyes a second-baseman? Like the deepest position in the organization?

I know this is primarily rhetorical but says here he can play SS, 2B and 3B. Also says he needs to work on "baseball instincts". Okay.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2014, 04:45:10 pm »
@EvanDrellich tweeted that an evaluator texted him that Feliz, DDS and Roberto Pena all may get popped.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2014, 04:56:17 pm »
Is there a limit to how many on a team can get drafted?
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2014, 05:02:08 pm »
Is there a limit to how many on a team can get drafted?

Unfortunately, no.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2014, 05:09:38 pm »
@EvanDrellich tweeted that an evaluator texted him that Feliz, DDS and Roberto Pena all may get popped.

There has to be some other move coming tonight.

In fact... McT has an article up that leads with "The Astros will use as much time as necessary to decide which players to protect in advance of setting their 40-man roster ahead of next month's Rule 5 Draft at the Winter Meetings. Teams have until 10:59 p.m. CT Thursday to set their rosters."

Also includes quotes from Luhnow (made earlier, I think) that they probably will add "a few" players, and also that they may not make a Rule 5 pick themselves, but they want to leave room in case they sign a FA between now and the 11th.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2014, 05:31:29 pm »
There has to be some other move coming tonight.

In fact... McT has an article up that leads with "The Astros will use as much time as necessary to decide which players to protect in advance of setting their 40-man roster ahead of next month's Rule 5 Draft at the Winter Meetings. Teams have until 10:59 p.m. CT Thursday to set their rosters."

Also includes quotes from Luhnow (made earlier, I think) that they probably will add "a few" players, and also that they may not make a Rule 5 pick themselves, but they want to leave room in case they sign a FA between now and the 11th.

So Feliz can still be added until 10:59?

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2014, 06:05:38 pm »
Vince Lara-Cinisomo @vincelara  ·  3h 3 hours ago

The Astros leaving Michael Feliz unprotected is a stunning development to this interested observer. Delino DeShields not as stunning.

Pretty sure L-C is the guy who's doing BA's Astros Top 30 list this year.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2014, 07:36:29 pm »
FYI Luhnow is on Astroline right now. I just got it to work, he was talking about how much they like Feliz but they need roster flexibility, he's not close to the majors, and he doesn't think another club will be able to keep him on their 25-man all season.

Bottom line (my impression) is it's not about Feliz vs. Krauss or whoever, but Feliz vs. some other player that will need to be added in the next year because they need him on the Major League roster. Even if Feliz makes it from Lancaster to Corpus by the end of 2015, he's still a longshot to contribute in the majors before 2017; meanwhile, they'll have to burn an option year on him, and be restricted by having less space on the 40-man for shuttling guys from AAA to MLB. If he doesn't stick with another team all year, they get him back, and don't have to add him until a year from now.

Okay, Jeff, but... if you're wrong...

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2014, 07:56:55 pm »
Bottom line (my impression) is it's not about Feliz vs. Krauss or whoever, but Feliz vs. some other player that will need to be added in the next year because they need him on the Major League roster. Even if Feliz makes it from Lancaster to Corpus by the end of 2015, he's still a longshot to contribute in the majors before 2017; meanwhile, they'll have to burn an option year on him, and be restricted by having less space on the 40-man for shuttling guys from AAA to MLB. If he doesn't stick with another team all year, they get him back, and don't have to add him until a year from now.

Yep. Of the guys left unprotected, how many would remain on a team's 25-man all season? It's a gamble. But, he none have impact potential in '15. Leaving them unprotected makes a lot more sense than someone like Fields.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2014, 10:08:13 pm »
Deal fell through, and Feliz winds up on the 40-man.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2014, 07:22:59 am »
Good.

Drellich is making a big deal out of Luhnow waiting until the last minute to add Feliz.  Should we really care?  I'm probably missing something but this doesn't bother me.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2014, 08:53:08 am »
Good.

Drellich is making a big deal out of Luhnow waiting until the last minute to add Feliz.  Should we really care?  I'm probably missing something but this doesn't bother me.

JJ Cooper was making a big deal about it too (multiple tweets explaining what was bizarre/wrong about the delayed announcement), though he did point out that the Brewers did the exact same thing - added a guy at the last minute after initially announcing the addition of other players.

Drellich's article is rather blunt:
There were trade discussions, Luhnow said, that kept Feliz off the roster. He gave no further details when pressed.

What’s in question now isn’t whether the Astros got the decision right, which they seem to have in protecting Feliz. It’s whether they tried to cover their tracks with a lie.

Now, I'm sure MLB execs lie or say intentionally vague or misleading things to the press all the time. They kind of have to, because they don't want to lose leverage in trade or contract negotiations, or they don't want to offend a player who may not end up getting traded, that kind of thing. Or they don't want themselves or someone they work with or for to look stupid or like a jerk. But I can't recall seeing a beat reporter come right out in print and accuse a GM of lying.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2014, 09:35:03 am »
JJ Cooper was making a big deal about it too (multiple tweets explaining what was bizarre/wrong about the delayed announcement), though he did point out that the Brewers did the exact same thing - added a guy at the last minute after initially announcing the addition of other players.

Drellich's article is rather blunt:
Now, I'm sure MLB execs lie or say intentionally vague or misleading things to the press all the time. They kind of have to, because they don't want to lose leverage in trade or contract negotiations, or they don't want to offend a player who may not end up getting traded, that kind of thing. Or they don't want themselves or someone they work with or for to look stupid or like a jerk. But I can't recall seeing a beat reporter come right out in print and accuse a GM of lying.

Drellich seemed to be going for views of the article with how he wrote it. He only talked from one side of a deal the Astros could have made. He talked about how it would have to be big in order for all of the pieces to fall right with the 40 man and adding or not Feliz.  He never surmises that if Feliz were part of a deal that the receiving team might need him off the 40-man at the time of the deal in order to made appropriate 40-man moves after the deal to add Feliz.  Which would be why the Astros waited until the last minute to add him.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2014, 10:55:53 am »
With all due respect, you're trying to use logic.  This is the chronicle we're talking about.  Logic has no place there.
Chevy! Chevy! Astro! Astro!

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2014, 11:17:35 am »
Drellich seemed to be going for views of the article with how he wrote it. He only talked from one side of a deal the Astros could have made. He talked about how it would have to be big in order for all of the pieces to fall right with the 40 man and adding or not Feliz.  He never surmises that if Feliz were part of a deal that the receiving team might need him off the 40-man at the time of the deal in order to made appropriate 40-man moves after the deal to add Feliz.  Which would be why the Astros waited until the last minute to add him.

That makes sense. 

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2014, 11:19:47 am »
With all due respect, you're trying to use logic.  This is the chronicle we're talking about.  Logic has no place there.

JACKSONIAN used LOGIC against THE HOUSTON CHRONICLE!

THE HOUSTON CHRONICLE has wounded itself in its confusion!
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2014, 11:29:04 am »

I was thinking there was a reason tied to the 40-man where it would make sense to leave Feliz off, but could not think of how.  That would be it.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2014, 12:07:12 pm »
Did you want a breakdown of every addition to 40-man rosters?

Of course you did.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2014, 01:30:52 pm »
Did you want a breakdown of every addition to 40-man rosters?

Of course you did.

Actually, I wanted a breakdown of who is available - that's much more relevant....but I suspect its coming.
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2014, 06:59:19 pm »

Drellich seems to have some issues with this front office, and he isn't above letting those color his pieces. I don't know if his issues are legitimate or not.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2014, 08:22:42 pm »
Drellich seems to have some issues with this front office, and he isn't above letting those color his pieces. I don't know if his issues are legitimate or not.

If you are a journalist you need to learn to let personal issues not color your reporting. But there is very little journalism these days.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2014, 05:18:31 pm »
BA has their Rule 5 article up. No surprise given the comments of JJ Cooper, et al last week, but their "initial list of 10 of the top names to keep in mind" is junior stros-heavy: DDS, Gustave and Pena. Guduan is also later mentioned.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2014, 07:56:12 pm »
Like a shiny bauble promptly forgotten in 10 seconds time, Mark Canha from that BA article I thought was an interesting name. Nice blend of power and ability to draw a walk as witnessed by his .303/.384/.505 slash line in 2014 for New Orleans in his first exposure to AAA. Played 61 games in LF, 18 games at 3B and 40 games at 1B (career-wise, however, about 75% of his games have been at 1B). Is a righty-swinger so possible platoon opportunity there if the worst comes about. Turns 26 in Feb., former 7th-rounder out of Cal.

Prior to last season, ranked by BA as the 24th-best prospect in a thin Marlins system. Called a smart baserunner but fringy in terms of defensive ability at 1B.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2014, 09:14:24 am »
Jonathan Mayo with a Rule 5 draft article, including comments from Kevin Goldstein. Mayo notes this:

Including the nine players taken in 2013, there have been 130 players selected in the Major League phases of the past eight Rule 5 Drafts. A total of 41 players stuck in the big leagues the next season, though not always with the team that took them. That's a success rate of 31.5 percent. Considering the needle-in-the-haystack feel of the Draft, that's a higher rate of success than many would predict. "I'm surprised," Goldstein said. "It's still a needle in the haystack, but maybe it's a knitting needle. It's a tough exercise. You're balancing the players who can stick and players who could use the time to develop more [in the Minors]."

Also has the draft order. Astros draft 3rd (after the Rockies and Rangers) with the otherwise 1st in line D-Backs ineligible to take anyone given their full 40-man roster.

Astrofan59

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2014, 05:21:40 pm »
Thoughts on De Shields possibly being selected?  If so, significant loss?

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2014, 03:15:15 pm »
I'd be surprised if he wasn't picked. Whether he stays on a ML roster all year, I dunno. Significant loss, maybe, maybe not. Avoidable loss, yes. Justifiable, maybe, maybe not.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2014, 12:35:31 pm »
@JimcallisMLB

Rule 5 rumblings that @Dbacks might take @Astros C Robert Pena w/top pick. VG defensive C w/questionable bat.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2014, 12:44:32 pm »
@JimcallisMLB

They dealt Montero and have only a backup catcher on their 40-man.  I'd guess they take him while also pursuing a more experienced catcher.  I wonder if any team has a surplus of those?
Goin' for a bus ride.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2014, 09:48:34 pm »
D-Backs take Roberto Pena or this guy?

JJ Cooper ‏@jjcoop36  1h
Hearing strong buzz that Rays C Oscar Hernandez will go first in tomorrow's Rule 5 draft to the Diamondbacks. Can't fully confirm yet.

Kiley McDaniel of Fangraphs weighs in on which one he would take:
@kileymcd  11m
Strongly prefer Oscar. Will be safely on TB list coming Friday MT @Homein22 Thoughts on ARI at #1? HOU Roberto Pena or TB Oscar Hernandez?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:23:21 pm by Nate Colbert »

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2014, 05:55:13 am »
With the pen signings, the 40-man stands at 40, making it unlikely we take anyone.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2014, 09:21:02 am »
Heh.
Ben Badler @BenBadler  ·  10h 10 hours ago

If I'm the Astros, I take Rays catcher Oscar Hernandez in the Rule 5 draft. Only because I want him to be teammates with Teoscar Hernandez.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2014, 11:03:09 am »
D-Backs take the Rays catcher #1.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2014, 11:04:09 am »
Rockies take Canha at #2 (subsequently traded to A's).

Rangers take DDS at #3.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:54:04 am by Nate Colbert »

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2014, 11:05:40 am »
Astros take Jason Garcia from Red Sox (21 year old pitcher).

Astros lose Jandal Gustave to Red Sox at #5.

Astros lose David Rollins.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:32:46 am by Nate Colbert »

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2014, 11:08:14 am »
Astros take Jason Garcia from Red Sox (21 year old pitcher).

Astros lose Jandal Gustave at #5.
Garcia? Who?

Damn, Seattle just took David Rollins.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2014, 11:10:08 am »
Major league phase complete.

Astros add one, lose three (DDS, Gustave and Rollins).

Total of 14 players taken.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2014, 11:11:04 am »
Buried in BA's Rule 5 preview from a few weeks ago:

Jason Garcia, rhp, Red Sox: Garcia seemed pretty ordinary as a starter, but his velocity spiked significantly after a late-season move to the ‘pen. He’s touched 100 mph at his best, but has no real plus secondary pitch and has not pitched above low Class A.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2014, 11:13:17 am »
Garcia traded to Orioles*.

*for $75K per Drellich.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:19:43 pm by Nate Colbert »

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2014, 11:17:51 am »
Anyone care to lay odds on DDS, Gustave, or Rollins sticking all year?

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2014, 11:19:44 am »
Astros lose Ariel Ovando in minor league phase.

Carrie Muskat ‏@CarrieMuskat  7m
#Cubs plan to convert Ovando to pitcher
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:37:50 pm by Nate Colbert »

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2014, 11:22:22 am »
Anyone care to lay odds on DDS, Gustave, or Rollins sticking all year?

Historic odds (since 2006) says 1 in 3 sticks. I'm not sure any of these guys do but I'll go with DDS.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2014, 11:25:22 am »
Astros took this guy in minor league phase. Minor league depth only, obviously.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Rule 5
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2014, 11:28:11 am »
Maybe this time next year, Astro fans will extolling Agent Delino.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2014, 11:33:42 am »
All phases complete.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2014, 11:50:46 am »
Historic odds (since 2006) says 1 in 3 sticks. I'm not sure any of these guys do but I'll go with DDS.

The Rangers desperately need OFers that can play but I don't expect DDS to be anything but overmatched. I can't see him sticking but if the Rangers suckitude continues they may keep him and throw in the towel on the current team and start a rebuild. So, "who the hell knows".

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2014, 11:55:42 am »
Designated pinch runners have a better than average chance of sticking.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2014, 12:03:48 pm »
Also, he needs to work on his cliches.

Brian McTaggart ‏@brianmctaggart  7m7 minutes ago
DeShields: "I’m excited that I got selected and everything. It’s like bittersweet."

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2014, 12:07:28 pm »
Designated pinch runners have a better than average chance of sticking.
Maybe in September or the playoffs, but with only 13 position players, a lot harder over a 162-game schedule. He's gonna have to see a lot of time in the field and at the plate.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2014, 12:12:28 pm »
If the selecting team really wants the guy they picked don't rule out the possibility of a trade to keep him.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2014, 12:41:11 pm »
Kansas City Royals ‏@Royals  15m
#Royals acquire RHP Jandel Gustave from Boston.  Gustave, 22, was selected from Houston in today's Rule 5 draft.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2014, 12:44:02 pm »
Saw a passing mention that Ovando will be converted to pitcher by the FTC. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2014, 05:43:43 pm »
Does Gustave return to Houston if he doesn't stick with the Royals? I'm not clear on the post-trade ruling.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2014, 06:58:16 pm »
Does Gustave return to Houston if he doesn't stick with the Royals? I'm not clear on the post-trade ruling.
Yes. But I think he will stick. I expect DDS to be offered back (or involved in a trade).
Up in the Air

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2014, 08:39:20 pm »
Yes. But I think he will stick. I expect DDS to be offered back (or involved in a trade).

When you allude to DDS being involved in a trade, you mean a trade with Houston as opposed to a 3rd party?

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2014, 09:20:49 pm »
Saw a passing mention that Ovando will be converted to pitcher by the FTC. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?

Don't want to be in the box against him.  He had no control of throws from RF. 
Always ready to go to a game.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2014, 09:50:32 pm »
When you allude to DDS being involved in a trade, you mean a trade with Houston as opposed to a 3rd party?

A trade with the Astros would allow the Rangers to send DDS to the minors rather than having to keep him on the major league roster all season (something the Astros did years ago with Willy Taveras after getting him in the Rule 5 from Cleveland).

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2014, 04:20:05 am »
Yes
Up in the Air

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2014, 05:54:57 am »
Yes

As a reminder, he would have to clear waivers first.
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2014, 09:03:42 am »
As a reminder, he would have to clear waivers first.
...and then any team that picks him on waivers would still be subject to the Rule 5 requirement of staying on the 25-man all year. Which is exactly what happened with Nate Freiman a couple years back - Astros took him in the Rule 5, tried to pass him through waivers to presumably work out a trade with the Padres, but the A's picked him and then managed to keep him on the MLB roster all year, hence he became completely theirs.

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2014, 09:30:58 pm »
Garcia? Who?

Damn, Seattle just took David Rollins.
Not sure if this has been mentioned but Seattle drafted Rollins twice before he signed with Toronto so somebody over there is a fan.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2014, 08:40:34 am »
Not sure if this has been mentioned but Seattle drafted Rollins twice before he signed with Toronto so somebody over there is a fan.
Eddie Vedder?

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2014, 12:51:14 pm »
The DDSj, I get.  He's likely a utility player in the majors, not much lost to him starting the job now.  With Rollins it seems like a good thing for him.   Possibly never getting anything other than a cup of coffee with the Astros, good for him to get an extra chance.  But the Gustave thing kind of ticks me off.  The Royals are screwing this guy over.  He clearly needs more time to harness his stuff.  If they like him so much then put a trade in for him and finish his development.  Don't screw with a guys career like this.  

ETA
I guess I'd be in favor of a minimum G/IP for pitchers and PAs/G for position players.  Just so the players can play regularly enough not to be stunted.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 01:34:07 pm by pots »

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2014, 02:18:45 pm »
The DDSj, I get.  He's likely a utility player in the majors, not much lost to him starting the job now.  With Rollins it seems like a good thing for him.   Possibly never getting anything other than a cup of coffee with the Astros, good for him to get an extra chance.  But the Gustave thing kind of ticks me off.  The Royals are screwing this guy over.  He clearly needs more time to harness his stuff.  If they like him so much then put a trade in for him and finish his development.  Don't screw with a guys career like this.  

ETA
I guess I'd be in favor of a minimum G/IP for pitchers and PAs/G for position players.  Just so the players can play regularly enough not to be stunted.

The Royals are too good a team to be able to carry Gustave all year. Unless they flip him or work a deal with Houston. Just my guess.

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2014, 02:38:04 pm »
The Royals are too good a team to be able to carry Gustave all year. Unless they flip him or work a deal with Houston. Just my guess.

Was reading an article today that there is talk in KC to carry one less bench player so they can carry him in the bullpen.  

Some quotes:
"He's got a big, big arm," Royals assistant general manager J.J. Picollo told me. "Got a chance to be a back-end bullpen guy down the road. He's thrown the ball well this winter in the Dominican and seems to have turned a corner.

"The command and life on his fastball has really improved."

But Gustave is raw, having finished last season at low-A ball, where he had 14 starts and nine relief outings, posting a 5.01 ERA.

"But if we start the year with 13 pitchers," a source said, "we can protect him until down the road when he might get more comfortable."

Doesn't sound to me like a guy they think is ready.  Now it does go from Picollo said to a source said.  So perhaps this is journalistically created.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:40:02 pm by pots »

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2014, 04:07:46 pm »
blah blah blah ...Don't screw with a guys career like this.  

This whole thing is pro player, not anti.  They get a shot to show what they have to a team that sees them at a higher level.  And they get paid MLB minimum while they do it.  "Career stunting" is what happens when guys with talent are stuck in the minors behind what their organization sees as better players.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2014, 04:08:40 pm »
The Royals are too good a team to be able to carry Gustave all year.
I disagree ... I expect he will struggle, but get some innings in a mop-up role.
Up in the Air