pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
Re: Screwy
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 09:09:18 am »
That's great.  Reminds me of the knuckler, in the sense that it would be lost to history without a small number of practitioners keeping it alive.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 11:41:53 am »
Very interesting, thanks for posting!
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 01:28:15 pm »
That was a great article.

I remember Valenzuela and McGraw and G. Hernandez, of course. But the first (and maybe because of that, I always though the best) big time screwball pitcher I saw was Mike Cuellar, when he pitched with Houston in the late 1960s. Cuellar was an average-sized guy with average looking pitches otherwise; luckily, he threw his screwball - which was exceptional - a lot.

Cuellar had some good years in Houston, on not-so-good teams: but I guess Spec Richardson, et al, thought he was getting old (he was 30-something.) So after the 1968 season they traded him to Baltimore, for Curt Blefary. Blefary was a versatile hitter with some power, and younger than Cuellar by 6-7 years; and he had a pretty decent year for his one full season as an Astro. Meanwhile, Cuellar averaged 20 wins a year for the next seven years as an Oriole, until he was damn near 40.

Talk about your bad Spec Richardson trades.
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 02:36:57 pm »
That was a great article.

I remember Valenzuela and McGraw and G. Hernandez, of course. But the first (and maybe because of that, I always though the best) big time screwball pitcher I saw was Mike Cuellar, when he pitched with Houston in the late 1960s. Cuellar was an average-sized guy with average looking pitches otherwise; luckily, he threw his screwball - which was exceptional - a lot.

Cuellar had some good years in Houston, on not-so-good teams: but I guess Spec Richardson, et al, thought he was getting old (he was 30-something.) So after the 1968 season they traded him to Baltimore, for Curt Blefary. Blefary was a versatile hitter with some power, and younger than Cuellar by 6-7 years; and he had a pretty decent year for his one full season as an Astro. Meanwhile, Cuellar averaged 20 wins a year for the next seven years as an Oriole, until he was damn near 40.

Talk about your bad Spec Richardson trades.

Many opposing GMs took advantage of that clown.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 02:50:05 pm »
The screwball is a very hard pitch to throw and get to move. That's why more pitchers don't throw it.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 06:43:06 pm »
The screwball is a very hard pitch to throw and get to move. That's why more pitchers don't throw it.

I remember Mike Magnante recently for the Stros, can't think of anybody else local.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 10:52:13 am »
Also hard on the elbow.
Up in the Air

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 03:59:15 pm »
Also hard on the elbow.

But that's not why more pitchers don't throw it. I'd have put up with the wear and tear on my elbow if it would have moved. The pitch is just difficult to get to break opposite from a curveball.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 04:06:16 pm »
One of the things I found most interesting about the piece was the author's assertion that there is no medical data that indicates that the pitch is more physically demanding or damaging as any other.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 04:15:02 pm »
One of the things I found most interesting about the piece was the author's assertion that there is no medical data that indicates that the pitch is more physically demanding or damaging as any other.

That was essentially my point. Every pitcher toys around with it in the bullpen.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 04:23:33 pm »
That was essentially my point. Every pitcher toys around with it in the bullpen.

But that certainly is the canard, you know, stay away from the pitch at all costs because it will fuck up your elbow.

I could always throw a version of a circle change that tumbles a bit towards a right handed hitter. I just sort of cock my wrist rather than snap it. It sounds like Santiago's screwball is a similar.to the pitch I used to mess around with and consider a change up.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 04:40:12 pm »
But that certainly is the canard, you know, stay away from the pitch at all costs because it will fuck up your elbow.

I could always throw a version of a circle change that tumbles a bit towards a right handed hitter. I just sort of cock my wrist rather than snap it. It sounds like Santiago's screwball is a similar.to the pitch I used to mess around with and consider a change up.

I threw my forkball hard with a hard grip, and the ball used to knuckle but only broke down.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 05:06:47 pm »
I threw my forkball hard with a hard grip, and the ball used to knuckle but only broke down.

I used to catch a guy who had that same pitch. Great big sumbitch, crazy as a bag of cats. None of the other catchers on the team would catch him because they didn't want to have to chase that pitch around. I never minded and I always enjoyed watching how confused the batters would get.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 05:29:56 pm »
I used to catch a guy who had that same pitch. Great big sumbitch, crazy as a bag of cats. None of the other catchers on the team would catch him because they didn't want to have to chase that pitch around. I never minded and I always enjoyed watching how confused the batters would get.

Sounds like yours truly.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 05:34:01 pm »
Sounds like yours truly.

How skinny were you at 18? This fruitcake was a string bean.

Another thing about this guy, he was impervious to pain. The meanest people I knew left him the hell alone because he was so crazy and because they knew they couldn't do anything to him anyway.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 06:11:10 pm »
How skinny were you at 18? This fruitcake was a string bean.

Another thing about this guy, he was impervious to pain. The meanest people I knew left him the hell alone because he was so crazy and because they knew they couldn't do anything to him anyway.

I wasn't that skinny. I was 6'5" 200 lbs.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 06:49:18 pm »

That's interesting. Every time I tried to throw it I thought my elbow was going to explode. I pretty quickly decided that I shouldn't screw around with it. I suppose there are people that are physiologically more capable of tolerating it than other people.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 10:08:29 am »
That's interesting. Every time I tried to throw it I thought my elbow was going to explode. I pretty quickly decided that I shouldn't screw around with it. I suppose there are people that are physiologically more capable of tolerating it than other people.

No, your mechanics were screwed up. And you didn't trust your stuff.
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 02:07:12 pm »
I remember Mike Magnante recently for the Stros, can't think of anybody else local.
Magnante's screwball was explosive and sounded like a howitzer going off every time an opposing hitter launched one.
Purity of Essence

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 12:40:26 pm »

I do not know about data, but it hurt my elbow to throw it. I messed around with it as a kid but stopped because it hurt.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 02:40:06 pm »
I do not know about data, but it hurt my elbow to throw it. I messed around with it as a kid but stopped because it hurt.

Same thing happened with me and my fastball, except that it wasn't very fast, either.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 02:48:40 pm »
Same thing happened with me and my fastball, except that it wasn't very fast, either.

damn gravity got my fastball.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 06:08:24 pm »
damn gravity got my fastball.
They clocked my fastball with a sundial, so I never had to worry much about hurting my arm.
Up in the Air

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 02:49:17 am »
Thanks for posting that. I always loved the idea of a screwball. Hope Santiago helps it make a comeback.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy