Author Topic: Astros @ Angels Series Preview  (Read 2572 times)

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
Re: Astros @ Angels Series Preview
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 01:20:22 pm »
That makes me a bit sad, but I'm very happy for you. Dreams fulfilled is something to behold.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 01:20:46 pm »
You know, Rutger Hauer supposedly improvised much of his final scene in "Bladerunner," and the movie remains one of my all time favorites.
Chevy! Chevy! Astro! Astro!

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 01:23:08 pm »
Unfortunately, what you wrote seems to be quite true.  The lack of ability to watch this team will lose a lot of the historical fan base that builds generational ties.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 01:38:11 pm »
Unfortunately, what you wrote seems to be quite true.  The lack of ability to watch this team will lose a lot of the historical fan base that builds generational ties.

I thought it was pretty egotistical to write that, but I wanted it to be seen and not just that it happened to me. I thought a posted preview might have some more visibility to others than a regular post, but hell, does it really matter? I doubt it.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 01:43:37 pm »
I know all too well that rock and roll will break your heart every bit as painfully as any team will. But of course if you're doing something that doesn't expose you to profound heartbreak then it's probably not worth doing in the first place.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 01:47:12 pm »
I know all too well that rock and roll will break your heart every bit as painfully as any team will. But of course if you're doing something that doesn't expose you to profound heartbreak then it's probably not worth doing in the first place.

Yeah, some of that is the glue that keeps us all together and some of it is the fuel that keeps you going when five or ten or twenty people turn out for a show. Then 2000 show up and you think, "Man, this is so much fun. I love this!"

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 01:50:57 pm »
But of course if you're doing something that doesn't expose you to profound heartbreak then it's probably not worth doing in the first place.

Agreed.

Nice preview, RB.  I feel like I'm in the same boat even though I live a few miles from the stadium.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 02:02:57 pm »
Sorry to hear that the Astros are fading from you, but from someone who sees the games, what you are doing sounds a lot better.  And speaking of sound, I am sort of selfishly bummed about what I assume is the True Believers.  I enjoy viewing the recent videos on you tube.  Still a great band, IMO.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 02:11:00 pm »
Oh, they'll play again, but no one knows when. It's going to be something like the Flatlanders, they'll get back together and do a few shows and go back to whatever else they have going on.

Someday, when I get the time to do it, there will be more video and audio out there. We almost had a box set but it just isn't economically possible right now. Maybe someday someone will stumble into some cash and then it'll happen.

Missed opportunities is the history of the True Believers. I look back and see them and shake my head - part of the heartbreak Chuck writes about - but that ride was like none other. It makes me smile every time I think of it.

I don't know if anyone cares, but if you're in the Chicago area Jon Dee and Alejandro are both playing a festival at FitzGerald's tomorrow. Al is supposed to join Jon Dee and the Fighting Cocks on stage for some songs. I wish I was going to be there, it'll be great.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:14:38 pm by Ron Brand »

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 02:34:43 pm »
You know, Rutger Hauer supposedly improvised much of his final scene in "Bladerunner," and the movie remains one of my all time favorites.

A top two for me.  Hauer was great.

"a bulb that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."

Nice preview, RB.  Because I am outside of the blackout, I've watched as many games as I usually do this year.  If I was in your shoes, I'd likely be in the same exact boat.

Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 02:48:03 pm »
1.) From what I have heard, C. J. Wilson is currently distracted, waiting for the imminent delivery of his new McLaren Spider, I think it is. Which I can understand; but perhaps it will work to the Astros advantage for this start, anyway.

2.) I am probably 6 months to a year ahead of you on the long and mysterious journey - well, kind of a TV-less, forced exile, really - away from caring passionately about the Astros for 40+ years of my now 50+ year life, to ... what? I don't know, either. I try not to think about it too much. The other day I realized I had not only not watched the Astros in a long, long time, but that I'd watched very little baseball at all this season. If it wasn't for listening to snippets of games and the MLB network while perambulating around in my truck - usually after I get pissed off by hearing Morrissey for the 49th time that day on the 80s new wave channel or something like that - I wouldn't know what was going on in baseball at all this season. That takes me aback a bit, when I think of it.

3.) It would've taken me three pages, back when I still gave enough of a shit to write stuff here about the Astros, to say what you said in three or four lines. And you were more profound about it than I would have been, anyway. I thank you for that.

4.) I am interested in this rock 'n' roll dream you are living out now. I don't have anything that remarkable to fill my still relatively new Astrolessness with. A  new marriage, okay; and a new life ... a new way of living, really. Well, not THAT new. But I do try to mind my p's and q's a bit more than I used to, and I come home every evening now. And instead of trying to carve out some alone time with the TV and baseball, I just kind of give myself up to this gorgeous woman who is in my house when I get there, these days. I won't go into the details - it is nothing more than boring-from-the-outside domestic/marital bliss, really. I am so happy I cannot stand myself, sometimes (I will admit to pining a little for the old, wild restlessness at times, but that is just part of ultimately letting go of it, I think). I figure if I am going to pour myself into anything this time around, I cannot think of any better thing to do it into than this happiness, this pretty girl.

5.) Still, there is that dull, aching pain, as Mick once called it. (One thing I have noticed about getting older, in my case anyway, is I often refer now to my all-time rock 'n' roll heroes as if we are on a first-name basis. I assume that is at least mildly annoying to everyone else but me). I know I am losing/have lost something I once loved passionately. But the passion went out of it a while ago. I tried for a couple of seasons (in the season-ending Series Previews) to write an elegy here, for myself and the Astros, but it never quite took; until finally at the end of 2012, I think it was. That was when I realized I really had nothing left for the Astros. No joy, no rancor, no nothing. There’s a hole in me where the Astros used to be. I don’t think I’ll ever completely fill it back up.

6.) Very sorry to see the demise of your own Astros fandom, Mike. But I suppose the extreme passion you once had for the team doomed you to an ending like this. I am very glad to see that, meanwhile, your real life is proceeding forward, without missing a “beat.” Thank you for your accomplished and insightful writing here over the years. I won’t forget that.
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 03:01:33 pm »
Thank you, DS.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 03:23:50 pm »
I believe it's nothing winning and a TV availability wont fix. I always find other things to do in the summer besides following baseball. Except for a few years in the middle of the last decade, that has always been the case for me. And for me, some of my most fun times being in a rock band were spent on a couch in a basement rehearsal space, watching baseball on TV and drinking beer with my band-mates. When it ALL comes together, and it will again, it's a beautiful thing.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 03:42:13 pm »
I don't watch any games now.  I go to a few a month, and I listen to all or parts of games pretty regularly, but we're probably all tired of this team.  It's ok to give it a rest, do something else, and then come back.  Or don't.  We're friends, but there ain't no apostacy in baseball.

There ain't no apostacy in rock and roll either, so remember that passions ebb and flow and sometimes return.  We're fickle.  Get it?  Get it?  And at the level of hobbies and interests--as opposed to family and friends and work--that's a good thing.  That's what lets us learn new stuff.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 06:16:47 pm »
Dark Star's post also gives me mixed feelings-very happy for his new marriage and life, but profoundly sad at all of this expression of disinterest in the Astros from people who I've grown to love and respect over the years. I grew up with you guys-I fed off of your Astros passion and incredible knowledge of what goes on with the ball club during my darkest days. There were many days not too terribly long ago when my connection to this website was the only thing standing between me and a self-induced end. I've learned a lot about baseball here. Frankly, I don't know what I'm going to do if you all move on and fade away; I feel like I'm losing old friends. I listen to the Astros most games, even though I have mlb.tv and can watch the Astros games-I prefer the radio team. Radio keeps me happy enough. I don't know how to not care about the Astros, and I don't want to learn either.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius