Author Topic: No more Cubs games on WGN  (Read 1560 times)

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
No more Cubs games on WGN
« on: June 04, 2014, 02:32:06 pm »

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: No more Cubs games on WGN
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 02:36:21 pm »
You watch Cub games?

I think I need a shower.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 02:44:40 pm »
It's odd that he states that the income generated by Chicago sports is relatively miniscule ($250,000).  I keep reading that sports is what networks want since is is more DVR proof and thus more attractive to advertisers.  What the hell else is on that Channel that people watch?   

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 03:02:28 pm »
It's odd that he states that the income generated by Chicago sports is relatively miniscule ($250,000).  I keep reading that sports is what networks want since is is more DVR proof and thus more attractive to advertisers.  What the hell else is on that Channel that people watch?   

I think Matlock plays six hours a day.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 03:12:40 pm »
I think Matlock plays six hours a day.

It's nice to think that even the parents of the old fogies watching matlock on WGN weren't even around the last time the cubs won a series.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 03:16:02 pm »
What the hell else is on that Channel that people watch?   

It's the only place I've ever seen Bozo the Clown.  I always thought that Bozo and Harry Caray were the same person.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 03:51:10 pm »
It's the only place I've ever seen Bozo the Clown.

Hell yes.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 01:34:40 pm »
What the hell else is on that Channel that people watch?   

" ... sports ad revenue is penny ante compared to what WGN America might take in from airing original content, like the company's dark and sexy new witch show, 'Salem,' which began airing last month."

Awesome.
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 03:03:00 pm »
Cubs are also leaving WGN radio after 90 years:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/chc/chicago-cubs-announce-wbbm-am-780-as-new-flagship-radio-station?ymd=20140605&content_id=78368086&vkey=news_chc

Wow. 90 years since they broadcast their first Cubs game. Grover Cleveland Alexander was on the mound that day. I am dumbstruck by the statement that baseball in effect doesn't make sense for AM radio these days. That's amazing to me. I would think a baseball contract brings a lot of listeners to that channel that wouldn't be there otherwise. It may be the station that is on first thing in the morning when the car radio is turned on. It is promotional opportunities and top-of-mind awareness for the station. It is the good-will of "affiliation" of being the station of the home-9. It is credibility. It is familiarity. It is relationships with advertisers that they may not have otherwise. And hopefully they make a little profit out of the deal at the end of the day. That is just an amazing statement to me.