Author Topic: Road to Omaha  (Read 21622 times)

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
Road to Omaha
« on: May 26, 2014, 12:03:01 pm »
Matchups just announced:

Coogs travel to Baton Rouge regional to take on Bryant (who?) while LSU (which also got the last super regional seed) gets SE Louisiana.

Rivalry revisited with Horns vs. Aggies at Rice regional while Wayne Graham & co. tackle George Mason.

TCU takes on Siena (and will host a super regional if it gets that far). DBU vs Sam Houston the other matchup in this regional.

Other Big 12: OSU faces Binghamton in its regional. Texas Tech in Miami regional and faces Columbia. KU goes to Louisville.

Aaron Fitt of BA tweet:

Bids by conference: SEC (10), ACC (7), Big 12 and Pac-12 (5), Big West (4), AAC, B1G, C-USA, MVC, MWC, Southland (2 apiece).

BA article with entire field
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:51:40 pm by Nate Colbert »

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
Re: Road to Omaha
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 02:59:10 pm »
The Tigers and Southeastern LA played on February 19 in Hammond, and the Tigers won 7-3. But this was early in the season and was a midweek game, so it is absolutely meaningless. Cody Glenn, who probably didn't appear in a meaningful SEC game, went five frames for that win. I've never heard of Bryant, and teams like that scare me a bit.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 03:12:32 pm »
Coogs heading to BR.  We had the best ERA and WHIP all season long, but in route to winning the conference championship gave up a few runs and dipped tot he #4 ERA in the nation.

Coogs ended up with #10 RPI and were on the cusp of hosting, the last host site came down to UH and Louisville, and UL got the nod by winning our regular season league title.

Not excited about having to go to BR and face Nola, but ya gotta beat good teams to advance.  UH can pitch so we have more than a punchers chances.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

roadrunner

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 04:01:05 pm »
Potential Rice/UT/A&M vs UH super regional is pretty cool

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 04:14:26 pm »
Coogs heading to BR.  We had the best ERA and WHIP all season long, but in route to winning the conference championship gave up a few runs and dipped tot he #4 ERA in the nation.

Coogs ended up with #10 RPI and were on the cusp of hosting, the last host site came down to UH and Louisville, and UL got the nod by winning our regular season league title.

Not excited about having to go to BR and face Nola, but ya gotta beat good teams to advance.  UH can pitch so we have more than a punchers chances.

I'm worried about Houston for the very reason that you posit. If it is a short trip to the championship game, the Coogs have more than a punchers chance.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 04:37:12 pm »
UH's pitching coach is former Okie State head coach and former UT pitching coach Frank Anderson.  He has turned a crap staff 3 years ago into one of the best in the nation now.  Not many high draft pick types, but a bunch of SE Texas kids that just pound the strike zone.  We had 10 pitchers throw more than 10 innings this season, the highest ERA amongst them carries a 3.00 ERA.  7 Guys have sub 2.50 ERAs.

They don't strike out a ton of guys, but they were 2nd in the nation in walks allowed.  We walked 105 guys in 529 innings, while K-ing 390.  Team WHIP was 1.02, 2nd in the nation.

Offense is pretty similar.  Not much power, but we draw a ton of walks, 9th in the nation, that helped lift the pedestrian .281 BA, to a respectable .380 OB%.

Casey Grayson is the best hitter, by far.  A 5th year senior who has battled injures the last 2 years but was healthy all season, he is also 1 of the better fielding 1st baseman I have watched at this level.  We are very LH heavy.  Lots of bunts and small ball. 

As for the season, our SOS was 23, we had 2 losing weekends all year.  Went 1-2 at the college classic beating Sam Houston and dropping 2 1 run games to Texas and TCU, and were swpet at home by Louisville. 

I think Im gonna try and drive over Saturday.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 05:01:33 pm »
Please give us an eyewitness report. I wish that I was going to be there.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 06:07:16 pm »
UH's pitching coach is former Okie State head coach and former UT pitching coach Frank Anderson.  He has turned a crap staff 3 years ago into one of the best in the nation now.  Not many high draft pick types, but a bunch of SE Texas kids that just pound the strike zone.  We had 10 pitchers throw more than 10 innings this season, the highest ERA amongst them carries a 3.00 ERA.  7 Guys have sub 2.50 ERAs.

They don't strike out a ton of guys, but they were 2nd in the nation in walks allowed.  We walked 105 guys in 529 innings, while K-ing 390.  Team WHIP was 1.02, 2nd in the nation.

Offense is pretty similar.  Not much power, but we draw a ton of walks, 9th in the nation, that helped lift the pedestrian .281 BA, to a respectable .380 OB%.

Casey Grayson is the best hitter, by far.  A 5th year senior who has battled injures the last 2 years but was healthy all season, he is also 1 of the better fielding 1st baseman I have watched at this level.  We are very LH heavy.  Lots of bunts and small ball. 

As for the season, our SOS was 23, we had 2 losing weekends all year.  Went 1-2 at the college classic beating Sam Houston and dropping 2 1 run games to Texas and TCU, and were swpet at home by Louisville. 

I think Im gonna try and drive over Saturday.

I need to figure out a way to get there for "work".
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 05:53:48 am »
I need to figure out a way to get there for "work".

Toledo actually played LSU in Baton Rouge this season. I didn't have the balls to ask my buddy, the athletic director, to go on the trip. LSU trounced Toledo 15-1.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 09:14:42 pm »
Aaron Fitt tweet:

Rotten news for Texas: LHP Dillon Peters has been ruled out for the remainder of the postseason with an elbow injury. Changes the outlook.

Also throws his draft status into question. Tough break for him and the Horns.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 10:20:42 pm »
Aaron Fitt tweet:

Also throws his draft status into question. Tough break for him and the Horns.

Saw that in the paper this morning, does indeed suck.

Who's next in line?  Schiraldi?
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 10:27:44 pm »
Saw that in the paper this morning, does indeed suck.

Who's next in line?  Schiraldi?

If you're asking who gets the start tomorrow, it'll be Thornhill.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 04:40:02 pm »
Horns currently up 7-1 on Ags in 5th. Game currently on both Longhorn Network and ESPNU.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 05:20:38 pm »
Ben McDonald ain't too bright: "When you're watching SEC level baseball, you're watching the level of AA baseball, IMO."  He must not watch too much AA baseball. 

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 05:45:55 pm »
Ben McDonald ain't too bright: "When you're watching SEC level baseball, you're watching the level of AA baseball, IMO."  He must not watch too much AA baseball. 

That's unbelievable. A good SEC team, with its best pitcher on the mound, might beat a good low A team.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 10:21:08 pm »
KU, Tech and OSU all join Horns in winners bracket in their respective regionals as Big 12 goes 4-0 on the day.

Sam Houston defeated DBU. Rice, U of H and TCU all struggling with generally inferior competition as their games have yet to wrap up.                 

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 10:32:41 pm »
KU, Tech and OSU all join Horns in winners bracket in their respective regionals as Big 12 goes 4-0 on the day.

Sam Houston defeated DBU. Rice, U of H and TCU all struggling with generally inferior competition as their games have yet to wrap up.                 

UH in extra innings. ugh
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 10:43:04 pm »
UH in extra innings. ugh

Coogs won in the bottom of the 10th.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 10:45:10 pm »
Coogs won in the bottom of the 10th.

TCU won in 11 and Rice just put up a 4 spot and is still batting in the 8th, for a 5-2 lead.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 10:49:32 pm »
TCU won in 11 and Rice just put up a 4 spot and is still batting in the 8th, for a 5-2 lead.

I saw the Rice score tied at 2 then the next time I see it they scored.  I was wondering if George mason was better than i expected.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 10:53:51 pm »
TCU won in 11...

Which would then make the Big 12 5-0 on the day.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 11:04:26 pm »
I saw the Rice score tied at 2 then the next time I see it they scored.  I was wondering if George mason was better than i expected.

GMU only had one hit, an infield single, until the 8th.  Rice sort of sleepwalked until they realized they were about to sleep through the first round. 

Cougars only had four hits, and managed to score the winner in the 10th without a hit. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 01:52:28 am »
SEC and ACC go 8-7, and that is with 5 SEC!! SEC!!! SEC!! teams getting to host, and 3 ACC teams hosting.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 01:53:47 am »
#5 National seed ULaLa loses 1-0 to a 9-16 SWAC team who started their #2 starter.  Ouch.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2014, 04:12:37 am »
#5 National seed ULaLa loses 1-0 to a 9-16 SWAC team who started their #2 starter.  Ouch.

I've always hated those Hub City Wannabes. Back in the days of blowing and going oil and gas in Lafayette, then USL was making a bid to become just UL, like in many other states. They were so sure that they could drive that past the LSU lobbyists that they even went so far as to paint the red S white on the campus sign on Johnston Street so that only UL showed. When their legislative efforts were stymied, I wrote a letter to the editor of the Lafayette paper offering to supply the red paint to fill the S back in!

You should have seen the vitriol that spewed forth from those vanquished cocksuckers in subsequent letters to the editor. It was pretty cool. Then oil and gas tanked, and those crawfishing cocksuckers went back down into their holes. The joke going around was "how do you tell the difference between a pigeon and a Lafayette oilman?" "The pigeon can still put down a deposit on a Mercedes." They never accomplished their dream of competing against LSU for the flagship university of the state. They have made great strides athletically though, but as ULL-not UL.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2014, 04:36:17 am »
SEC and ACC go 8-7, and that is with 5 SEC!! SEC!!! SEC!! teams getting to host, and 3 ACC teams hosting.

Relax. It's a double elimination tourney. If they've got deep enough pitching, the home team is still a favorite.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2014, 10:38:23 am »
Mr. Happy posting long rants at four in the morning. What decade is this?
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2014, 10:51:02 am »
Mr. Happy posting long rants at four in the morning. What decade is this?

We're in the right decade. I still hate ULL, which still shows. I am an early riser. This particular morning, I woke up even earlier, so I got up for awhile and then went back to bed.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2014, 11:16:44 am »
Relax. It's a double elimination tourney. If they've got deep enough pitching, the home team is still a favorite.

I realize that, just a bit miffed that UH didn't get to host AND got jammed into the LSU regional.  The SEC getting 5 hosts is BS.  UH had a better resume than did South Carolina, but it is what it is.

The SEC is clearly the best baseball conference, but I think the committee goes overboard with their treatment of teams in the SEC.

Good luck this evening, but I think UofH is the one in need of all the luck since y'all have Nola on the mound.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2014, 11:19:36 am »
And it is crazy what these ridiculous dead bats have done to the game.

National Seeds playing at home...
TCU needed extra innings to beat 200 RPI Siena, 2-1
ULL LOST to #269 Jackson St, 1-0!
#1 overall national seed Oregon State held on to beat #248 North Dakota State 1-0
#2 overall national seed and SEC regular season Champ, LOST at home to College of Charleston 3-2.  (FWIW UofH swept CoC earlier this year)
Florida State lost 7-0 to Georgia Southern!

5 national seeds playing at home combined to score FIVE runs.  Three of them were shutout by absolute garbage teams.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2014, 11:20:19 am »
I realize that, just a bit miffed that UH didn't get to host AND got jammed into the LSU regional.  The SEC getting 5 hosts is BS.  UH had a better resume than did South Carolina, but it is what it is.

The SEC is clearly the best baseball conference, but I think the committee goes overboard with their treatment of teams in the SEC.

Good luck this evening, but I think UofH is the one in need of all the luck since y'all have Nola on the mound.

You may be right. However, don't they consider RPI in this process? Strength of schedule has to factor into the equation.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2014, 01:25:45 pm »
You may be right. However, don't they consider RPI in this process? Strength of schedule has to factor into the equation.

They do and they don't.  They consider it up to a point, but a big name is still a big name and they'll gladly let the big name host over a higher ranked team.  For example, UH's ranking is higher than TCU's, yet TCU gets not just a regional host, but a national seed.

UH's biggest problem is Rice.  They really want to avoid two schools hosting 3 miles from each other.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2014, 01:28:01 pm »

Yes and both UH's RPI and SOS was better.

RPI UH 10 - South Carolina 13
Non Conference RPI UH 1! USC 7
Winning % UH > USC
Conference Record UH 17-10 USC 18-14
Road Conference UH 14-4 USC 9-9
Last 15 UH 12-3 USC 9-6
Record vs top 25 UH 5-5 USC 8-8
vs 26-50 UH 5-3 USC 4-3
vs 51-100 UH 8-4 USC 7-3
vs top 100 UH 18-9 USC 19-14
SOS: UH - 20, USC 38
Non Conference SOS: UH - 6,  USC 157!
AVG RPI Win: UH 107, USC 116
UH Conference Champs, USC 0-2 in the SEC Tourney.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2014, 01:30:29 pm »
They do and they don't.  They consider it up to a point, but a big name is still a big name and they'll gladly let the big name host over a higher ranked team.  For example, UH's ranking is higher than TCU's, yet TCU gets not just a regional host, but a national seed.

UH's biggest problem is Rice.  They really want to avoid two schools hosting 3 miles from each other.

All of that is spot on.  TCU deserved/earned it though, they won the big 12 and were just awesome down the stretch.

UH swept Rice this year 3-0, but Rice won their conference regular season and conference tourney.  UH only won the conference tourney.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2014, 02:42:49 pm »
Yes and both UH's RPI and SOS was better.

RPI UH 10 - South Carolina 13
Non Conference RPI UH 1! USC 7
Winning % UH > USC
Conference Record UH 17-10 USC 18-14
Road Conference UH 14-4 USC 9-9
Last 15 UH 12-3 USC 9-6
Record vs top 25 UH 5-5 USC 8-8
vs 26-50 UH 5-3 USC 4-3
vs 51-100 UH 8-4 USC 7-3
vs top 100 UH 18-9 USC 19-14
SOS: UH - 20, USC 38
Non Conference SOS: UH - 6,  USC 157!
AVG RPI Win: UH 107, USC 116
UH Conference Champs, USC 0-2 in the SEC Tourney.

You make an excellent case for UH.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2014, 02:48:13 pm »
Florida State about to go out 0-2 without scoring a single run. Yikes.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2014, 03:06:50 pm »
Spoke too soon. Alabama has given up two runs and FSU has the bases loaded with no outs, clinging to a 6-2 lead. All of a sudden none of their pitchers can do anything right. There's been only one hit, two walks and 2 HBP.

Update: another walk, and now its 6-3.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2014, 03:15:12 pm »
Now it's 6-5 with two outs and runners on the corners. Talk about shortening your coach's life...

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2014, 03:24:19 pm »
Alabama gets a fly out to LCF to end the nightmare and send FSU home (well, I guess they're already home, but now their season is over).

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2014, 03:51:18 pm »
Alabama gets a fly out to LCF to end the nightmare and send FSU home (well, I guess they're already home, but now their season is over).

The Semenholes. Ha ha!!

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2014, 09:30:05 pm »
How is the Southwest Conference faring so far?

Best baseball conference in the land.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2014, 10:29:08 pm »
Aaron Fitt of Baseball America tweet:

Final: #LSU beats Houston 5-1. Aaron Nola with 7.1 strong innings, Conner Hale with 2 hits, 2 RBIs to lead offense. Tigers keep rolling.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2014, 12:06:52 am »
Big 12 plus Texas squads today:

OSU took out Fullerton and takes on Fullerton/Nebraska winner on Sunday, KU lost to Louisville, Tech beat Miami and likely will face the Hurricanes again tomorrow (unless Bethune Cookman scores the upset), TCU in an epic battle in the 16th with Sam Houston, Rice leads UT 2-1 but Horns threatening in T8.

Ags beat George Mason and await Texas/Rice loser.

DBU eliminated by Siena.

Coogs must win two tomorrow (including if they get that far an LSU rematch).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:17:55 am by Nate Colbert »

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2014, 12:58:08 am »
And South Carolina who had no business hosting loses at home to Maryland.  Florida the crown jewel of the SEC this year goes 0-2.

SEC!!! SEC!!! SEC!!!

Meanwhile UofH has to face the best pitcher in the nation at Alex Box.

Total BS.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2014, 12:59:23 am »
Nola is a fantastic.  Hats off to LSU. 

Reminds me of Brad Sullivan in '02.  Nobody is beating that dude right now.  Glad we are done facing him.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2014, 01:15:12 am »
If I just read this correctly, TCU and Sam Houston are currently tied in the 19th, 2-2

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2014, 01:21:24 am »
If I just read this correctly, TCU and Sam Houston are currently tied in the 19th, 2-2

You did.

And the Horns just beat Rice in 11.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2014, 01:26:20 am »
TCU and SAM in the 20th now.  They broke ESPN3.com

Also thank tho that POS Longhorn Network, nobody in Texas could watch the Rice UT game.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2014, 01:47:30 am »
TCU and SAM in the 20th now.  They broke ESPN3.com

Feed is back and they're in the 21st.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2014, 01:57:38 am »
Just said that was the 550th pitch of the game

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2014, 02:01:23 am »
And the Bearkats win!

Nope, interference at 2nd base and on to the 22nd.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2014, 02:04:51 am »
And the Bearkats win!

Nope, interference at 2nd base and on to the 22nd.
Wow!  Crazy play, good call though.

Ejected the coach, did they eject the "slider" at second who spiked his helmet?

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2014, 02:07:01 am »
Wow!  Crazy play, good call though.

Apparently.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2014, 02:17:45 am »
Announcer's loopy.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2014, 02:24:43 am »
Is it over yet?  TCU scored in the top of the 22nd but the game cast seems to have crapped out.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2014, 02:27:40 am »
Is it over yet?  TCU scored in the top of the 22nd but the game cast seems to have crapped out.

B22, runner on 2nd for Sam Houston with 1 out.

ETA:

Now 2 out.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2014, 02:29:28 am »
Horned Frogs win!

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2014, 05:06:30 am »
And South Carolina who had no business hosting loses at home to Maryland.  Florida the crown jewel of the SEC this year goes 0-2.

SEC!!! SEC!!! SEC!!!

Meanwhile UofH has to face the best pitcher in the nation at Alex Box.

Total BS.

But in all fairness, the seedings for the entire tourney have been off. I've never seen so many upsets as happened yesterday. It was carnage for higher seeded teams. There might be lots of three game events today and tomorrow.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2014, 03:33:50 pm »

Yes.  I believe the kid is suspended, but the coach is not.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2014, 03:53:26 pm »
Xavier has stomped their dicks.  Up 8-6 with 2 out in the 9th, they now trail 11-8 heading to the bottom of the 10th.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2014, 06:07:00 pm »
Completed games today:

KU eliminated. Bearkats defeated Siena.

In progress:

U of H leading big late against SE Louisiana, A & M currently up 7-6 on Rice in 8th.

On tap:

OSU currently playing Fullerton in their rematch, Tech plays Miami in another, likely Coogs rematch with LSU, Texas plays Aggie/Owl winner, TCU and Sam Houston play another 9 (?) on top of the 22 they just played.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2014, 06:19:34 pm »
Coogs - Tigers at 7:35.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2014, 06:53:36 pm »
Probably the worst send by a third base coach I have ever seen by the Aggies, but it doesn't matter as the Owls wild pitch the winning run home.

Go Horns.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2014, 08:08:33 pm »
Stanford looks like they will force a 7th game in Indiana
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2014, 08:24:47 pm »
Spoke to soon
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2014, 08:31:02 pm »
Phew
  -  Orson Welles

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2014, 09:47:37 pm »
TCU advances to its own Super Regional with the win over SHSU.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2014, 09:51:35 pm »
OSU goes to the Super Regionals as well by (again) beating Fullerton.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2014, 10:32:54 pm »
Coogs and LSU tied at 4, heading to extra frames.

Things getting chippy in Louisville with UL up 4-1 over UK in the 8th.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2014, 10:39:41 pm »
Coogs and LSU tied at 4, heading to extra frames.

Things getting chippy in Louisville with UL up 4-1 over UK in the 8th.

yeah, that started when the Louisville player seemed to go for the pitchers knee.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2014, 10:43:54 pm »
yeah, that started when the Louisville player seemed to go for the pitchers knee.

He tried to slide, but the pitcher was 10 feet up the line.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2014, 10:45:08 pm »
He tried to slide, but the pitcher was 10 feet up the line.

he slides like crap then

onto the 11th for the coogs

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2014, 10:51:43 pm »
Red Raiders and Hurricanes game called with Tech up 1-0 with one out in the T8. Game'll be picked up tomorrow and if Miami comes back to get the win then they'll play the 2nd game shortly after.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2014, 10:57:57 pm »
Getting interesting in the Red Stick.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2014, 10:58:31 pm »
That 2nd Cougar runner was out by...a considerable amount.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2014, 10:59:31 pm »
That 2nd Cougar runner was out by...a considerable amount.

I'm not sure why he was sent.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2014, 10:59:57 pm »
he slides like crap then

onto the 11th for the coogs

Well, when a guy steps into you as soon as you start your slide, it's bound to be ugly.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2014, 11:01:10 pm »
I'm not sure why he was sent.

Dave Clark?

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2014, 11:01:23 pm »
coogs won!!!

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2014, 11:01:43 pm »
Aggies with the 3-2 win over Horns forcing the 3rd game of the weekend tomorrow night at 6:00.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2014, 11:02:25 pm »
great job by wellbrock!!!

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2014, 11:02:56 pm »
So if the Coogs win, who hosts the Super Regional?

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2014, 11:13:53 pm »
So if the Coogs win, who hosts the Super Regional?

Competive bid I believe and going up against either Big 12 riches or SEC riches I wouldn't like Houston's chances.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2014, 12:40:19 am »
COOGS!!!!

South Carolina loses TWICE to Maryland, at home, and is bounced.   But yeah USC deserved to host.  SEC!!! SEC!!! SEC!!!

This was Maryland's first post season appearance since 1971. 

F the NCAA selection committee.  Total BS.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2014, 05:57:47 am »
COOGS!!!!

South Carolina loses TWICE to Maryland, at home, and is bounced.   But yeah USC deserved to host.  SEC!!! SEC!!! SEC!!!

This was Maryland's first post season appearance since 1971. 

F the NCAA selection committee.  Total BS.

Congratulations to the Houston Cougars for a clutch win. I favor you all today because of the pitching you have. But, all the same, Geaux Tigers!!!

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2014, 09:26:33 am »
LSU's starting pitcher tonight doesn't share your pessimism.

LSU pitcher Alden Cartwright just said after tough Tigers loss to Houston "Im getting the ball tomorrow night and I guarantee a win!"

Well our DH is out of the game thanks to getting ejected on that BS call at first. 

What a crazy game last night, from the ejection to the "inside" the park HR.  UofH has scored 1 earned run all weekend going into the 8th inning last night, the score 4 to tie it up.... 

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2014, 09:34:23 am »
While I appreciate confidence in a player, sometimes they just become douchebags.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2014, 09:36:22 am »

LSU pitcher Alden Cartwright just said after tough Tigers loss to Houston "Im getting the ball tomorrow night and I guarantee a win!"

Well our DH is out of the game thanks to getting ejected on that BS call at first. 

What a crazy game last night, from the ejection to the "inside" the park HR.  UofH has scored 1 earned run all weekend going into the 8th inning last night, the score 4 to tie it up.... 

What did you expect him to say? That he wasn't sure? I've got no problem with what he said. I want my pitcher exuding confidence before taking the hill.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2014, 09:37:47 am »
That's unbelievable. A good SEC team, with its best pitcher on the mound, might beat a good low A team.

this is very, very crazy.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2014, 10:13:18 am »
this is very, very crazy.

What's crazy? Ben McDonald's comment that SEC baseball is akin to AA? Or my thought?

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2014, 12:21:31 pm »
What did you expect him to say? That he wasn't sure? I've got no problem with what he said. I want my pitcher exuding confidence before taking the hill.

Personally I don't have any issue with him saying that.  Was just pointing out he is a bit more confident than you are.

As for the game, I think it is gonna take a lot of things to break UofH's way to have a chance to win.

We've played 1 more game than LSU, I have no idea who we will start on the hill tonight.  Maybe we bring back Lantrip who pitched Thursday, he only through 41 pitches and wasn't real good.  And he is a freshman.  LSU is starting a guy who beat Florida in the SEC championship game.

Going into the 8th inning last night, we had played 16 innings vs LSU, had 7 whole hits and a single run.  We just aint a real good hitting team, and our 3rd best hitter is out tonight thanks to being ejected last night.

Coogs biggest strength is pitching, but it is severely minimized due to playing 4 games in 3 days.

I hope we can at least keep it interesting and have a shot to win.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2014, 12:34:00 pm »
Personally I don't have any issue with him saying that.  Was just pointing out he is a bit more confident than you are.

As for the game, I think it is gonna take a lot of things to break UofH's way to have a chance to win.

We've played 1 more game than LSU, I have no idea who we will start on the hill tonight.  Maybe we bring back Lantrip who pitched Thursday, he only through 41 pitches and wasn't real good.  And he is a freshman.  LSU is starting a guy who beat Florida in the SEC championship game.

Going into the 8th inning last night, we had played 16 innings vs LSU, had 7 whole hits and a single run.  We just aint a real good hitting team, and our 3rd best hitter is out tonight thanks to being ejected last night.

Coogs biggest strength is pitching, but it is severely minimized due to playing 4 games in 3 days.

I hope we can at least keep it interesting and have a shot to win.

Last night during the Louisville/Kentucky broadcast, color man Gabe Gross (who was fantastic, by the way, would love to see him get a shot at some MLB games) commented on the difference between playoffs in MLB and in college.  He said the biggest difference, aside from the level of play, is that in pro ball, the playoffs still set up similar to your regular season.  You get a series against one team, and your pitching rotation isn't that effected.  But in college, the four games in three days knock-out format is SO much different than how you play it during the season.  Depth, especially pitching, is so, so important if you want to advance, that even really good teams get worn down and it often comes down to a battle of benches.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2014, 02:10:00 pm »
Kennesaw State upsets Bama and heads to the Super Regional.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2014, 02:12:09 pm »
Hurricanes come back to defeat TT 2-1 in completion of that suspended game. Rematch in a few hours.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2014, 02:38:35 pm »

I'm not sure how much of an upset that really is.  Kennesaw State was the hottest team in the country entering the tourney.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2014, 02:38:50 pm »

Wow.  Louisville gets a 50+ RPI team at home for the Supers. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2014, 02:39:42 pm »
Hurricanes come back to defeat TT 2-1 in completion of that suspended game. Rematch in a few hours.

I'm not sure how much the ejections last night hurt TTU, but it means they're without at least one hitter today.  That was incredibly stupid.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2014, 02:41:59 pm »
I'm not sure how much the ejections last night hurt TTU, but it means they're without at least one hitter today.  That was incredibly stupid.

Why do ejections last for more than a game?  And is it just for one game or the rest of the tourney?

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2014, 03:02:38 pm »
Why do ejections last for more than a game?  And is it just for one game or the rest of the tourney?

NCAA stiffened penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct beginning last season after what they saw as an unacceptable level of ejections in the 2012 season. An unsportsmanlike conduct ejection now carries with it a suspension for the following game. The Tech player will be eligible to play again in the Super Regionals (if they can win the second game today with Miami).

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2014, 03:07:45 pm »

Like Nate says, they're really cracking down on players getting into it.  Coaches don't automatically carry a suspension, but they're throwing the book at players.  There were at least four player ejections this weekend. 

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2014, 03:09:41 pm »
Like Nate says, they're really cracking down on players getting into it.  Coaches don't automatically carry a suspension, but they're throwing the book at players.  There were at least four player ejections this weekend. 

one was a cougar.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2014, 03:15:59 pm »
one was a cougar.

One was a Red Raider, and one was a Bearkat.  One was also a Wildcat, but that was for initiating a collision at the plate.  The three unsportsmanlike ejections were all Texans.  Must be something about Texas teams. 

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2014, 03:43:11 pm »
One was a Red Raider, and one was a Bearkat.  One was also a Wildcat, but that was for initiating a collision at the plate.  The three unsportsmanlike ejections were all Texans.  Must be something about Texas teams. 

FWIW, they were all road teams too.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2014, 03:53:18 pm »
Home or away, the Tech first baseman earned his ejection. 

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2014, 05:52:37 pm »
The Techsters make it their 1st Super Regional ever and joins OSU and TCU as the 3rd SR team from the Big 12 with the Horns still pending.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2014, 06:11:51 pm »
Heck of a year for the SWC, everyone but Baylor made the field and the only SWC teams eliminated so far, were eliminated by other SWC teams. Scratch that 1 wasn't, Arkansas was eliminated by Virginia.

SWC!! SWC!! SWC!! 

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2014, 06:16:09 pm »
As i guessed above, UofH just announced that freshman Andrew Lantrip get the start on the mound tonight for the Coogs.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2014, 08:17:38 pm »

Yeah, he got pulled without recording an out tonight. Plunked the leadoff man then walked the next two.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2014, 08:33:36 pm »
Yeah, he got pulled without recording an out tonight. Plunked the leadoff man then walked the next two.

He didn't say it would be his win. Just a win.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2014, 09:55:12 pm »
Four B12 teams in the Super Regionals vs. a (likely) two SEC teams.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2014, 10:12:14 pm »
@KendallRogersPG tweeted:

FYI ... unlike previous years, the NCAA will announce Super Regional host sites in the morning with the late Oregon State start time.

#Texas coach Augie Garrido on whether UT or UH would host: "If it's about money, it'll be us." Classic.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2014, 10:22:23 pm »
Stanford comes back in the 9th to knock off Indiana.  Another national seed bites the dust.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2014, 10:25:38 pm »
Fun game
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2014, 10:28:02 pm »

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2014, 10:45:47 pm »
How about them Cougars!!!

Half the national seeds now out.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2014, 10:50:55 pm »
How about them Cougars!!!

Half the national seeds now out.

They are awesome. Love those boys.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2014, 11:01:22 pm »
So I saw this weekend at least three teams that had all turf infield...no dirt, not even at the bases.  There may be more, for all I know.  That makes me sad.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2014, 11:03:00 pm »
So I saw this weekend at least three teams that had all turf infield...no dirt, not even at the bases.  There may be more, for all I know.  That makes me sad.

you know that UH is all turf, right?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2014, 11:04:29 pm »
you know that UH is all turf, right?

No, I did not know that.  It didn't used to be.  It still makes me sad.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2014, 11:10:23 pm »
No, I did not know that.  It didn't used to be.  It still makes me sad.

they did it this year.  I think it is dirt around the bases though.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2014, 11:14:13 pm »
they did it this year.  I think it is dirt around the bases though.

I just looked at the pictures, and not only is it turf around the bases, they only colored brown what would be sliding pits, then outlined what would be the infield dirt...only they didn't make it dirt colored.  Why would they do that?  Frankly, that may be the ugliest baseball field I've ever seen.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2014, 12:19:16 am »
COOGS!   Now I have to set my alarm for 6:45 AM to listen to the NCAA f$ck us over again.  Augie is right, it is all about the money.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2014, 01:01:07 am »
The national seeds continue to crash: UCI defeats Oregon State.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2014, 04:42:35 am »
My fears were confirmed-not enough pitching. I think that Mainieri screwed this up by starting Nola in game two. If he starts game one, then he could go again on two days rest on monday if need be. Congratulations to the Coogs! Beat those Horns!

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2014, 07:29:21 am »
Unsurprising news

@MarkBermanFox26: UH will play Texas in Super Regional in Austin: Friday at 3pm,Saturday 1pm and Sunday if necessary at 1pm. Cougars with #2 RPI on road again
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:31:38 am by hostros7 »

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2014, 07:42:00 am »
Congrats to the Coogs for going into a tough place and coming out victorious, one more road trip shouldn't bother them.  Also, the Horns played much better on the road this year, so I wouldn't sweat that call too much if I was a UH fan. 

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2014, 08:19:02 am »
Unbelievable, have to travel AGAIN, when we clearly deserved to host, again.  ugh.

And hotels are thru the roof because of the X games in Austin.  And the Friday game is at 3.  They will probably pull the trifecta and put the game on the LHN so nobody can see it. 

Hosed again.  /price is right losing horn

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2014, 08:22:44 am »
My fears were confirmed-not enough pitching. I think that Mainieri screwed this up by starting Nola in game two. If he starts game one, then he could go again on two days rest on monday if need be. Congratulations to the Coogs! Beat those Horns!

Thanks Mr Happy.  Reports from all my friends who made the trip to BR were that the LSU fans were great.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2014, 08:33:03 am »
Unbelievable, have to travel AGAIN, when we clearly deserved to host, again.  ugh.

And hotels are thru the roof because of the X games in Austin.  And the Friday game is at 3.  They will probably pull the trifecta and put the game on the LHN so nobody can see it. 

I have decided it is just making the trip to Omaha closer.

Go Coogs!

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2014, 08:40:10 am »
Thanks Mr Happy.  Reports from all my friends who made the trip to BR were that the LSU fans were great.

You're welcome. LSU baseball fans are very good fans. It's a different class of fan than many of our drunken football fans. I used to travel with the team, and you see the same people week after week all over the SEC. The LSU baseball fans are very knowledgeable and appreciate good play by the opposition.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2014, 08:57:40 am »

Nobody got hosed or fucked.  Of course it's about money.  That's just the way it is.  You want to be the team that gets a regional host?  You want to be the team that gets the breaks?  The team that's seen as a premier program?  Then you gotta beat people.  And not just St Mary's School for the Blind.  You gotta beat teams like Rice and LSU and Texas.  This is an opportunity for the program to earn that respect.  It's there for the taking boys.  Take it.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2014, 09:00:44 am »
You're welcome. LSU baseball fans are very good fans. It's a different class of fan than many of our drunken football fans. I used to travel with the team, and you see the same people week after week all over the SEC. The LSU baseball fans are very knowledgeable and appreciate good play by the opposition.

You know, my parents have been to several football games in Baton Rouge, dressed up in their Florida Gator gear even, and they say that the football fans at LSU have never been anything other than great to them.  I'm sure it helps that they're not drunk frat boys yelling "woohoo!!", but they have nothing but great things to say about LSU football fans.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2014, 09:11:14 am »
You know, my parents have been to several football games in Baton Rouge, dressed up in their Florida Gator gear even, and they say that the football fans at LSU have never been anything other than great to them.  I'm sure it helps that they're not drunk frat boys yelling "woohoo!!", but they have nothing but great things to say about LSU football fans.

I'm so glad to hear that. There are some great football fans at LSU too, but there's also a contingent of rowdies whose behavior can get outlandish, and I say that as a Tigers fan.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2014, 09:17:08 am »
Then you gotta beat people.  And not just St Mary's School for the Blind.  You gotta beat teams like Rice and LSU and Texas. 

UofH is 5-2 this year vs those teams, with only 1 of the game being played at Cougar Field.  Combined score 36-19.

But you are correct, it is about the money, Augie said so and the NCAA admitted it when they announced the hosting sites.

Should be a great series against 2 really good pitching staffs.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2014, 09:27:09 am »
Why would Austin produce more money than Houston? 
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2014, 09:29:50 am »
UofH is 5-2 this year vs those teams, with only 1 of the game being played at Cougar Field.  Combined score 36-19.

But you are correct, it is about the money, Augie said so and the NCAA admitted it when they announced the hosting sites.

Should be a great series against 2 really good pitching staffs.

I'll be there!

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2014, 09:39:03 am »
Why would Austin produce more money than Houston? 

Because it's about how much the school offers the NCAA, not how much revenue they think they can generate from the games.  It's not "Austin v Houston", it's "UT and the Big XII v UH and the AAC", and the former simply has more money.  You essentially buy the home field advantage.  And that's not a secret, those are the rules when neither #1 seed from the regionals makes the super.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2014, 09:40:42 am »

Well then make it 7-2 or 7-3 and you may get a better deal next time.  That's how you build a program's reputation.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2014, 09:49:43 am »
What's crazy? Ben McDonald's comment that SEC baseball is akin to AA? Or my thought?

both.

I was hoping for Minute Maid for the Super. we hit better on the road.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:51:41 am by JimR »

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2014, 09:55:27 am »

That's no fair...it would be like a home game for UT as opposed to...wait a second.

Seriously though, that would have been fun.  Is that type of thing even a possibility?

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2014, 09:56:30 am »
both.

Okay, Coach. Where do you think that a good college team compares with a minor league team? Assume that it has its best hurler on the mound. I say that on its best day, a great college team might be able to compete with a high A club. But AA a la McDonald??? I can't see that at all. I love Ben, but I think that he's all wet on that one.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2014, 10:04:04 am »
Okay, Coach. Where do you think that a good college team compares with a minor league team? Assume that it has its best hurler on the mound. I say that on its best day, a great college team might be able to compete with a high A club. But AA a la McDonald??? I can't see that at all. I love Ben, but I think that he's all wet on that one.

a college team is a college team. nothing more. I once bought the bs that a strong Div 1 program was the equivalent of AA, then I started watching AA every night. It was not even close.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2014, 10:20:42 am »
That's no fair...it would be like a home game for UT as opposed to...wait a second.

Seriously though, that would have been fun.  Is that type of thing even a possibility?

Yes.  Rice hosted a super regional vs ULL in the Astrodome in 1999.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2014, 10:20:45 am »
a college team is a college team. nothing more. I once bought the bs that a strong Div 1 program was the equivalent of AA, then I started watching AA every night. It was not even close.

So an analogy would be that a good college team is as to AA level ball as a good high school team is to Division 1 ball, more or less.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2014, 10:23:44 am »
Yes.  Rice hosted a super regional vs ULL in the Astrodome in 1999.

Then the Super at MMPUS would be awesome.  Someone needs to make this happen.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2014, 10:26:50 am »

UT can make it happen. 

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2014, 10:43:31 am »

Then we actually don't disagree that much, no?

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2014, 10:45:26 am »

Aren't the Stros in town?

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 03, 2014, 10:56:57 am »
Aren't the Stros in town?

Not this weekend.  They will be in Minnesota.

drew corleone

• View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #150 on: June 03, 2014, 12:29:51 pm »
Texas hosted at Dell Diamond a few years ago when the Disch was being renovated.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 03, 2014, 01:09:47 pm »
There may be graduations ceremonies at MMP this weekend.  I know UHD has their there, so I assume others may use it also.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2014, 01:34:26 pm »
Then we actually don't disagree that much, no?

perhaps i misunderstood what you wrote. i thought you were saying LSU would beat a low A team. maybe a college team will win some, but i think any professional team is much better than college teams.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 03, 2014, 02:01:52 pm »
perhaps i misunderstood what you wrote. i thought you were saying LSU would beat a low A team. maybe a college team will win some, but i think any professional team is much better than college teams.

I agree with you. I'm saying that a really good college team with its best pitcher on the mound may be able to play with an A club.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2014, 02:30:33 pm »
I agree with you. I'm saying that a really good college team with its best pitcher on the mound may be able to play with an A club.

on the proverbial "any given day," but not consistently.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 03, 2014, 02:40:48 pm »
on the proverbial "any given day," but not consistently.

Agreed.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 03, 2014, 03:04:02 pm »
Well... go Coogs. Verizon FIOS has the Longhorn Network, and while I'd rather watch the game in person, I'll take LHN.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 03, 2014, 03:10:59 pm »
Well... go Coogs. Verizon FIOS has the Longhorn Network, and while I'd rather watch the game in person, I'll take LHN.

Everything I saw said ESPN, so you shouldn't have to watch LHN for the game.  Unless, they do funky stuff with the schedule.  I'll have an extra ticket for a person in red if you want to come to Austin.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 03, 2014, 03:37:26 pm »
Everything I saw said ESPN, so you shouldn't have to watch LHN for the game.  Unless, they do funky stuff with the schedule.  I'll have an extra ticket for a person in red if you want to come to Austin.

burnt orange looks a bit like red.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 03, 2014, 03:48:09 pm »

To my wife, if it ain't maroon, it's too close to burnt orange.  Red?  Tan?  Yellow? Brown?  "Looks too orange." 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 03, 2014, 03:49:26 pm »

On a normal weekend, I would promise you all sorts of favors for dibs on that ticket, but I don't think I can make this one.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 03, 2014, 03:50:24 pm »
To my wife, if it ain't maroon, it's too close to burnt orange.  Red?  Tan?  Yellow? Brown?  "Looks too orange." 

In her defense, they don't cover the color spectrum until grad school at TAMU.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 03, 2014, 03:54:39 pm »

not in my section.  i'm sitting in the season ticket holder section.  all red!  I ended up getting six tickets this morning.  There is some excitement here today.  There aren't a lot of students to get excited right now though.  Kind of sad for the boys.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 03, 2014, 04:02:16 pm »
There aren't a lot of students to get excited right now though.  Kind of sad for the boys.

Yeah, but in college baseball, if you're still playing after graduation, that's a good thing.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 03, 2014, 04:06:59 pm »

all the maroon is in College Station now. they are home watching on TV.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 03, 2014, 04:23:51 pm »
Yeah, but in college baseball, if you're still playing after graduation, that's a good thing.

I know. I just wish the guys could be around a campus that was all a-buzz like when Game Day came.  Baseball players need love too.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 03, 2014, 07:40:05 pm »
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26  21m
About $. Sources: Texas will host Super Regional w/ UH because UT guaranteed $90K more than UH for 2-day series, $50K more for 3-day series

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 04, 2014, 10:28:35 am »
Baseball players need love too.

From your lips to God's ears. College baseball players don't get anywhere near the same attention as that sport where all you have to do is eat and run forward, and the one that eats the most wins.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 06, 2014, 12:28:13 pm »
This fucking blows.  I'm getting every channel EXCEPT ESPN2. 

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 06, 2014, 12:52:13 pm »
This fucking blows.  I'm getting every channel EXCEPT ESPN2. 

I'm seeing Vandy/Stanford on WatchESPN if you have access.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 06, 2014, 12:54:27 pm »
Bad start
  -  Orson Welles

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 06, 2014, 01:00:41 pm »

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 06, 2014, 01:03:43 pm »
I'm seeing Vandy/Stanford on WatchESPN if you have access.

I have DirecTV, so no access to WatchESPN.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 06, 2014, 01:06:26 pm »
I have DirecTV, so no access to WatchESPN.

Damn.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 06, 2014, 01:08:15 pm »
Damn.

Tell me about it.  I've been through 500 fucking channels now, including ESPN, ESPNU, the Home Fucking Shopping Channel...clear as day.  I'm even getting the ESPN2 Alternate channels, fer cryin out loud.  The one channel I want to watch?  Nada.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2014, 01:14:17 pm »
Tell me about it.  I've been through 500 fucking channels now, including ESPN, ESPNU, the Home Fucking Shopping Channel...clear as day.  I'm even getting the ESPN2 Alternate channels, fer cryin out loud.  The one channel I want to watch?  Nada.

It's 7-0 Vandy in the top of the 3rd.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 06, 2014, 01:16:55 pm »
It's 7-0 Vandy in the top of the 3rd.

Fuck Stanford.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 06, 2014, 01:25:22 pm »
Fuck Stanford.

How did Tiger Woods spend his college years, Alex?
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 06, 2014, 01:27:33 pm »
Tell me about it.  I've been through 500 fucking channels now, including ESPN, ESPNU, the Home Fucking Shopping Channel...clear as day.  I'm even getting the ESPN2 Alternate channels, fer cryin out loud.  The one channel I want to watch?  Nada.

Channel 209?

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 06, 2014, 01:30:21 pm »
How did Tiger Woods spend his college years, Alex?

And we have a winner...

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 06, 2014, 01:33:14 pm »
Channel 209?

Yep.  But I think I got it.  Had to go out and tweak my dish (and I mean that non-euphemistically).

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 06, 2014, 01:55:44 pm »
At this rate, this game isn't going to end until midnight.  I hope they switch to the UH/UT game when it comes.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 06, 2014, 02:37:15 pm »
Coogs win the coin toss. Coogs will be the home team today and Sunday if necessary. 

Jake Lemoine gets the start for UofH.  Has been a bit shaky the last few times out, but has great stuff.  pitching on TeamUSA this summer.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 06, 2014, 02:56:29 pm »
At this rate, this game isn't going to end until midnight.  I hope they switch to the UH/UT game when it comes.

ESPNU until this game ends.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 06, 2014, 03:48:35 pm »
In case anyone is wondering...Longhorns up 2-0, middle of the 3rd.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 06, 2014, 04:07:28 pm »
In case anyone is wondering...Longhorns up 2-0, middle of the 3rd.

Thanks, I was.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 06, 2014, 04:11:41 pm »
Thanks, I was.

Horns pick up another in the 4th...3-0 now.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 06, 2014, 04:30:09 pm »
That's it for Lemoine...he really struggled with command.  Horns still batting in the 5th, up 4-0 with runners at 2B and 3B and 2 out.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 06, 2014, 04:45:18 pm »
Coogs finally string a few hits together...cut the lead in half.  4-2 Longhorns, top 6th,

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 06, 2014, 04:53:10 pm »
Go Coogs!  No, wait, Go Texas!  No, wait, Go Coogs!

It's hell being conflicted. 

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 06, 2014, 05:08:21 pm »
Go Coogs!  No, wait, Go Texas!  No, wait, Go Coogs!

It's hell being conflicted. 

I'll help.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 06, 2014, 05:09:27 pm »

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 06, 2014, 05:19:01 pm »
That ford - marrero battle was fun to watch, particularly given the situation.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 06, 2014, 05:55:55 pm »
Headed to the bottom of the 9th...Cougars still chasing 2 runs.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 06, 2014, 06:07:05 pm »
And UH, with the tying run at the plate and two down, pinch hits with the worst hitter on the team (batting a blistering .048, with one hit all season).  Of course he doesn't get a hit, and the Longhorns take Game 1, 4-2.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 06, 2014, 06:45:35 pm »
The 9th inning PH for the Coogs was uh interesting. Congrats to the Horns. Back at it at 1pm. Tomorrow. So how did this series end up with the hottest possible start times.  Was there a. It demand for Louisville vs Kennesaw St?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 07, 2014, 02:55:11 pm »
Not looking good for the Cougars.  They've left 5 baserunners on the last two innings and are down 4-0 in the 6th.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 07, 2014, 03:38:52 pm »
Cougars leave the bases loaded...AGAIN...in the 8th.  On to the 9th...

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 07, 2014, 03:44:37 pm »
Cougars down to their last three outs...chasing four runs.

Where's Tom Paciorek when you need him?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 07, 2014, 03:55:37 pm »
Well shitfuck.  Cougars only leave two on in the 9th, but can't get a run across.  They left 10 baserunners in the last 4 innings.  That's just not gonna beat anyone.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 07, 2014, 04:03:12 pm »
Congrats to the Longhorns.  Their pitching was terrific, and they got timely hits when they needed it.  I'll be rooting for them in Omaha.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 07, 2014, 04:47:56 pm »
Congrats to the Longhorns.  Their pitching was terrific, and they got timely hits when they needed it.  I'll be rooting for them in Omaha.

They turned a lot out double plays. And hit' em where the Coogs weren't. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 07, 2014, 05:20:05 pm »
They turned a lot out double plays. And hit' em where the Coogs weren't. 

They threw a LOT of ground balls.  Their pitching was really good when it needed to be. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 08, 2014, 03:37:24 pm »
Hook 'em!

drew corleone

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 08, 2014, 05:22:31 pm »
Not typically a big "conference guy," but I hope Tech and TCU also punch their tickets, and I'm disappointed Texas wouldn't get another crack at Ok State in Omaha.

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 09, 2014, 09:35:50 am »
Tech in on 1-0 pitcher's dual.  We'll see today about TCU.

drew corleone

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 09, 2014, 06:48:37 pm »
Congrats to the Horned Frogs.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 09, 2014, 06:53:49 pm »
Yeah, but not to ESPN which had a black screen for the dramatic final pitch.

Also, for those interested, Derek Fisher is on for viewing in the UVA/Maryland game.

drew corleone

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 09, 2014, 07:59:39 pm »
Yeah, that was irritating.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 09, 2014, 09:10:50 pm »
Good to see a bunch of Texas schools represent.  Suck it, Cali, Florida.

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 10, 2014, 07:47:48 am »

Also, for those interested, Derek Fisher is on for viewing in the UVA/Maryland game.

But we got to see the fireworks after the game was over.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 11, 2014, 01:17:10 am »

That's got nothing on the Rockets v Knicks NBA Finals when we were treated to a thrilling highway "chase" instead of the game.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 11, 2014, 12:32:58 pm »
That's got nothing on the Rockets v Knicks NBA Finals when we were treated to a thrilling highway "chase" instead of the game.

20 years ago this month.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010