Author Topic: This is innuresting  (Read 1604 times)

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
This is innuresting
« on: April 29, 2014, 10:01:54 am »
Will we see another El Tiante? Personally, it flies in the face of what I used to teach to the young beginning pitchers with whom I used to work. I still firmly believe in economy of motion and the few moving parts, the better. The more body parts that move, the more complex the delivery gets, and the increased movement, in my opinion, increases the likelihood of mechanics breakdown, particularly when fatigue sets in. What sayeth the rest of you?
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: This is innuresting
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 10:10:16 am »
Interesting.  I wonder if the rhythm of the arm swings helps create more fluidity of motion. But I'm as much of a pitcher as I am an airline pilot, so I really could be talking out of my ass.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 10:25:01 am »
Happy - I was just coming here to link to the exact same article, wondering what you and Jim would have to say about it.

I would have loved to see a video clip showing each of the pitchers they mention. It seems like most of the ones they're calling "old school" are just because they raise their hands over their heads at the beginning of the windup.

"With me, it helps me stay back, that's the biggest thing," Wheeler said. "Everybody's different. Everybody does it for different reasons. It allows me to get downhill with my pitches. Instead of staying up in the zone, it allows me to get down, because I'm staying back.

Also nice to see McHugh and Keuchel getting shout-outs in a national piece.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 10:58:13 am »
It is an interesting article, but it would be better if the video actually had Wheeler from the windup.

I think the guy at BP who breaks down pitching mechanics, and used to work for House at some pitching academy, likes the windup as he thinks it eventually helps generate forward momentum.

Found the bit on Wainwright switching back and forth particularly interesting.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 12:30:29 pm »
Will we see another El Tiante? Personally, it flies in the face of what I used to teach to the young beginning pitchers with whom I used to work. I still firmly believe in economy of motion and the few moving parts, the better. The more body parts that move, the more complex the delivery gets, and the increased movement, in my opinion, increases the likelihood of mechanics breakdown, particularly when fatigue sets in. What sayeth the rest of you?

So you'd recommend always pitching from the stretch using a slide step?  That's the simplest.

I think almost as important as a pitcher's arm are his legs, and the stiff, minimal windup used today takes the legs out of the equation too much.  Pitcher rely too much on their arm, though that's not just manifested in the windup.  I think that contributes to the fatigue more than a full windup motion.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 05:15:54 pm »
Interesting.  I wonder if the rhythm of the arm swings helps create more fluidity of motion. But I'm as much of a pitcher as I am an airline pilot, so I really could be talking out of my ass.

You may be right, but it would take some body control to keep it in line. I always thought that pitchers could add that later.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 05:25:26 pm »
It is an interesting article, but it would be better if the video actually had Wheeler from the windup.

I think the guy at BP who breaks down pitching mechanics, and used to work for House at some pitching academy, likes the windup as he thinks it eventually helps generate forward momentum.

Found the bit on Wainwright switching back and forth particularly interesting.

I always thought highly of House. There is a definite school of thought in that camp.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 05:51:33 pm »
So you'd recommend always pitching from the stretch using a slide step?  That's the simplest.

I think almost as important as a pitcher's arm are his legs, and the stiff, minimal windup used today takes the legs out of the equation too much.  Pitcher rely too much on their arm, though that's not just manifested in the windup.  I think that contributes to the fatigue more than a full windup motion.

I could not agree more. I never used the slide step, so I didn't teach it.

Matt

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 06:47:18 pm »
I was never a very good hitter so they put me in at pitcher during a summer city league when I was like 16. I couldn't throw strikes consistently until I tried the old school windup. I wasn't very good at pitching but I could actually control the ball after that.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 06:51:42 am »
I was never a very good hitter so they put me in at pitcher during a summer city league when I was like 16. I couldn't throw strikes consistently until I tried the old school windup. I wasn't very good at pitching but I could actually control the ball after that.

Whatever works.