Author Topic: Appel sent back to EST  (Read 6129 times)

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
Appel sent back to EST
« on: April 25, 2014, 03:57:34 pm »
"It's a little unsettling and the results aren't what we expect," Luhnow said of Appel's adjustment to pro ball. Appel was top 2013 pick.

"His stuff wasn't as crisp as it normally was," Luhnow says of Appel. Luhnow says 4-day tandem pitching was a shock to Appel's system.

Luhnow says he's not concerned about injury.

JDJO tweets
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:07:56 pm by Nate Colbert »

roadrunner

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: Appel sent back to EST
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 04:16:51 pm »
awesome

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 04:24:31 pm »
So much good news.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 06:34:27 pm »
Why not just send him back to QC if he's not injured? What are they hoping will happen at EST?

There's got to be an injury. A guy doesn't go from dominant Stanford Senior and coin-flip consensus #1 or 2 pick 10 months ago to not able to hack it in high-A ball.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 09:18:40 pm »
I would prefer he is hurt, but it really doesn't matter.  Hopefully it's just his appendicitis

morningwood75

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 03:26:11 am »

Eric Smith
‏@Eric_L_Smith   Back to Appel, just texted him. Said he had "no comment" on getting sent to extended ST. #JetHawks #Astros

Jacksonian

• Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 07:47:24 am »

Eric Smith
‏@Eric_L_Smith   Back to Appel, just texted him. Said he had "no comment" on getting sent to extended ST. #JetHawks #Astros

First thing that comes to mind in this situation is a major attitude or prima dona issue.  But that's just me speculating.
Goin' for a bus ride.

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 08:29:48 am »
I would prefer he is hurt, but it really doesn't matter.  Hopefully it's just his appendicitis

I think that could be the case (appendicitis, at least indirectly). He pitched on long rest through college, then into professional ball. He didn't get stretched out as much as the other pitchers in ST because he was recovering from the surgery.

I really don't read too much into his "no comment" comment. I'm sure he's frustrated that things aren't going the way he planned; he could have vented, but chose not to.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 08:35:07 am »
I think that could be the case (appendicitis, at least indirectly). He pitched on long rest through college, then into professional ball. He didn't get stretched out as much as the other pitchers in ST because he was recovering from the surgery.

I really don't read too much into his "no comment" comment. I'm sure he's frustrated that things aren't going the way he planned; he could have vented, but chose not to.

Agreed about the "no comment" line. He might not have a good relationship with that particular member of the press.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 08:53:24 am »
I have no idea what is going on, other than it is obviously concerning. However, I give Luhnow props for doing this, as it seems like a big, but necessary bullet to bite.  I expect some teams would have already pushed him forward and/or done whatever him and Boras wanted.

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 11:27:07 am »
Categorize this as a for whatever it's worth moment...  Friends of Luhnow's brother or brother-in-law (sadly, don't remember which) told me in passing several weekends ago that Appel only has command of two pitches and the team is not happy about it.  Anyone else heard that rumor?  The husband struck me as someone a bit more impressed with people hearing the sound of his voice, so I honestly have no idea how credible his statement was.  But, coupling that with Appel's demotion does make me wonder.
Chevy! Chevy! Astro! Astro!

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 11:47:32 am »
Categorize this as a for whatever it's worth moment...  Friends of Luhnow's brother or brother-in-law (sadly, don't remember which) told me in passing several weekends ago that Appel only has command of two pitches and the team is not happy about it.  Anyone else heard that rumor?  The husband struck me as someone a bit more impressed with people hearing the sound of his voice, so I honestly have no idea how credible his statement was.  But, coupling that with Appel's demotion does make me wonder.
Well, command of two pitches could be enough if the pitches are good enough (and the FB is one). His slider and FB are both supposed to be plus. I've read similar appraisals of McCullers - he really only has the FB and the curveball, but those are so good that he may be able to still be a top-rotation SP. Or he could be a dominant closer-type.

Obviously it would be disappointing if Appel wound up as a closer. But the concept of the team being "not happy about" Appel's command or arsenal strike me as odd. Surely they scouted him plenty well enough to determine to what extent he had command of what pitches. This isn't like Hunsicker not bothering to scout Chris Burke in person and then being pissed that he didn't have the footwork to play SS... this regime clearly does their homework on the top picks.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 12:23:27 pm »
Seems a little implausible to me.  "Command" is a term that is often used differently by people, but if it means mastery or just means the ability to consistently locate, then with Appel's stuff, command of two pitches would have him either on a major league mound or at least completely dominating high A.  I also question that if they believed he commanded his FB and SL, but needed work with his change for example, they would make such a drastic move to move him out of competitive play to work on it.  Instead, they would allow him to work on it in a competitive environment like almost every minor league pitcher does.

I might be foolish, but I am going to accept Luhnow's explanation as is. 

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 07:04:37 am »
Seems a little implausible to me.  "Command" is a term that is often used differently by people, but if it means mastery or just means the ability to consistently locate, then with Appel's stuff, command of two pitches would have him either on a major league mound or at least completely dominating high A.  I also question that if they believed he commanded his FB and SL, but needed work with his change for example, they would make such a drastic move to move him out of competitive play to work on it.  Instead, they would allow him to work on it in a competitive environment like almost every minor league pitcher does.

I might be foolish, but I am going to accept Luhnow's explanation as is. 

You're absolutely right about command. Most big league pitchers would give their left nut to be a be to consistently command two pitches. I also agree about accepting Luhnow's explanation.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 12:24:53 pm »
Great point regarding command and its usage.  I would certainly include this conversation in that category.  As I said, just passing along something whose timing stuck out in my mind.

Reuben, the Astros' due diligence in scouting Appel was my first thought as well, but obviously didn't feel like getting into it with this guy.  Nice enough fellow, but didn't strike me as someone who'd let facts or logic get in the way of stating his unequivocal opinion.
Chevy! Chevy! Astro! Astro!

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 02:52:23 pm »
It's interesting food for discussion. I'm glad you posted it in any case.

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 08:12:08 pm »
May be back soon:

Mark Appel is doing well pitching in games extended spring training, general manager Jeff Luhnow said Tuesday. It’s a day to day matter, Luhnow said, but that Appel was doing better overall.

“Fairly close to getting back out there,” Luhnow said when asked when Appel could return to an affiliate.

The Astros’ top pick in the draft last year began the season at High Class A Lancaster but felt sore and was having trouble adjusting to the routine of pro ball.

First time I recall seeing that there was a physical component to the demotion. Good that he'll be getting back out there. I wonder if they'll send him back to California or one of the lower affiliates.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2014/05/13/appel-progressing-at-extended-spring-training/#22102101=0

Nate in IA

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 05:20:53 pm »
. I wonder if they'll send him back to California or one of the lower affiliates.

FWIW, he's still pictured prominently on the JetHawks MILB page..

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 09:12:50 pm »
FWIW, he's still pictured prominently on the JetHawks MILB page..
So is Springer, on the Hooks site.

morningwood75

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 07:53:26 am »
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1674

Top 25 Draft Prospects of Last Ten Years

1.Strasburg
 2. Harper
 3. Wieters
 4. Justin Upton
 5. Price
 6. Machado
 7. Andrew Miller
 8. Jered Weaver
 9. Cole
 10. Anthony Rendon
 11. Tim Beckham
 12. Ackley
 13. Bundy
 14. Taillon
 15. Vitters
 16. Alex Gordon
 17. Buxton
 18. Appel
 19. Posey
 20. Verlander
 21. Alvarez
 22. Matzek
 23. Tulo
 24. Bryant
 25. Starling

18. Mark Appel, RHP, Stanford, 2013
 Drafted: No. 1, Houston Astros

After choosing not to sign with Pittsburgh as the No. 8 pick in the 2012 draft, Appel was the overwhelming favorite to be the No. 1 pick in the 2013 draft, based on the stuff he showed over the previous spring. But the stuff actually took a leap forward in 2013. He always had a big fastball that would touch 98 mph, but his changeup became a true plus-plus offering, with a slider right along those lines.

Some believed Appel could make his big league debut this season, but after struggling in high Class-A Lancaster, the right-hander was sent down to extended spring training to work out some of the kinks. The timeline has changed, but he still appears to be a top-of-the-rotation starter who can help Houston’s staff, maybe as early as the summer of 2015.

24. Kris Bryant, 3B, San Diego, 2013
 Drafted: No. 2, Chicago Cubs

Bryant put up massive power numbers in his time with the Toreros, showing plus-plus power from the right side to all parts of the field. His hit tool wasn’t considered elite, but his ability to work counts in his favor was better than any hitter available in the 2013 draft by a considerable margin.

It’s early, but so far Bryant has lived up to that hype and then some. The third baseman has put up an OPS of over 1.000 in his time in the Cubs’ system. There still are questions about where he’ll play defensively, but he appears to be a middle-of-the-order hitter who’s capable of hitting 30 to 35 homers a year.

morningwood75

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 08:00:53 am »
Definitely off topic but Kris Bryant is striking out 28.1 percent of the time at AA (50 so in 40 games and 152 ab, 178 pa) and has a .413 babip. He is also most likely a 1B/LF. Rangers prospect Joey Gallo is most likely a 1B/LF as well even though he’s at 3B for the moment just like Bryant. Do you take Gallo and his bigger power? If Bryant is somewhere near 80 power then Gallo is that rare 90 power guy that rarely ever exists. Gallo is ridiculous. He had another 3 hr game last night. Last year he hit .251/.338/.623 with 40 homers but struck out 37 percent of the time (172 strikeouts in 111 games and 411 ab). This year, at High A in the Carolina League, he is batting .345/.451/.791 with 17 homeruns already and has struck out “only” 26 percent of the time (43 strikeouts in 39 games and 139 ab). This guy’s power makes Kris Bryant look like a little girl. I remember reading one tweet where an anonymous scouting director said some teams in 2012 had Correa one and then Gallo two. And that supposedly Gallo and McCullers were the two main options for the Astros’ second pick but the Rangers scooped up Gallo at 39 and went way overslot leaving McCullers as the easy choice. Fuck the Rangers.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2014, 09:03:26 am »
Where did BA rank him pre-draft? I don't remember seeing him remotely close to the top 5, maybe 15-20 range?

It's kind of the ultimate upside/ceiling vs. projectability debate. Presumably everyone saw the huge power upside with Gallo, but he had just as huge red flags with his swing-and-miss tendencies and his defensive limitations. So he could become a Ryan Howard/Chris Davis type, but he also could end up as Rob Deer or Russell Branyan or worse. Which is not the kind of risk you want to take with a top-5 pick generally.

morningwood75

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2014, 09:31:27 am »
BA had him 33rd in their final top 100 for the 2012 Draft and 21st in the first 2012 top 100. This is what mlb.com said about him...

Big and strong, Gallo pitches and hits in high school, but it's likely his power bat that will get him drafted in June.
Gallo is an aggressive hitter with plus raw power. When he gets squared up, he can hit the ball out anywhere. He does have a big swing and there is some concern about him making consistent contact. He's played some third and first, with most feeling he'll end up at the latter. As a pitcher, he has more than enough arm strength for the position and should be fine defensively all-around. He is a below-average runner.

In the end, though, it's the power that intrigues scouts. A team that thinks he'll hit enough to tap into it will be tempted to take him early.

Bryant was ranked 53rd on the BA 2010 Draft Top 200.

Huge power, serious questions about how much he'll hit, tough sign from San Diego.

He ended up falling to the 18th round to Toronto and they couldn't get him to sign.

morningwood75

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 04:37:33 am »
The poster texcoast46 from Crawfish Boxes was listening to the Lancaster game and Chron writer Evan Drellich was in the booth. This is what was said on Appel.

"On Appel – purely physical move to go back to EST, lingering soreness from the surgery and the short spring training made it hard to go every 4th day as he was doing in the tandem starting. Luhnow told him Mark will be ready to leave Florida any day now, no word as to destination."

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 01:00:52 am »
Mark Appel, who had trouble adjusting to a pro-ball schedule, reached 98 mph in his last extended spring training out, general manager Jeff Luhnow said. He was averaging 95 mph and could rejoin a minor league affiliate as early as next week.

Drellich

morningwood75

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 01:06:36 am »

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 01:20:37 pm »
Drellich

Thanks!!! That's also some positive news about Crain, although Luhnow still avoids any sort of timetable on when Crain might be available, which scares me a bit.

Curly

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2014, 10:00:51 pm »
MLB Network just reported that Appel has tendonitis in his right thumb.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 05:13:39 pm »
MLB Network just reported that Appel has tendonitis in his right thumb.

he needs to quit playing marbles on his off days.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2014, 12:51:35 pm »

Maybe he's moonlighting on the professional thumb wrestling circuit.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2014, 12:57:52 pm »

He needs a Baseball Annie to take him to the Church of Baseball.