Author Topic: Frickin' Opera  (Read 1083 times)

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Frickin' Opera
« on: April 23, 2014, 10:51:37 pm »
I went to see Das Rheingold tonight and now I know why the Astros haven't been winning on Wednesdays.  Wotan's been busy at the opera.  If you scroll down this article, there's a good picture of Wotan thinking about stuff besides Astros baseball.  http://classicalvoiceamerica.org/2014/04/16/review-wagner-rheingold-houston-grand-opera/

The good news is that Das Rheingold ends Saturday, and Wotan can get back to his main job.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Frickin' Opera
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:01:49 pm »
I went to see Das Rheingold tonight and now I know why the Astros haven't been winning on Wednesdays.  Wotan's been busy at the opera.  If you scroll down this article, there's a good picture of Wotan thinking about stuff besides Astros baseball.  http://classicalvoiceamerica.org/2014/04/16/review-wagner-rheingold-houston-grand-opera/

The good news is that Das Rheingold ends Saturday, and Wotan can get back to his main job.

I honestly cannot tell you how jealous I am of this.  I studied the Ring in college.  I had tickets to the final dress rehearsal but was out of town.
How was it?
Don't think twice, it's alright.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 11:12:20 pm »
I honestly cannot tell you how jealous I am of this.  I studied the Ring in college.  I had tickets to the final dress rehearsal but was out of town.
How was it?

I have to admit I slept a bit, but I do that at the opera. I think that review pretty much sums it up. I don't know the music, and there are no really grabby tunes that you walk out humming, but it was easily the best staging of an opera I've seen in 30-odd years of fairly serious opera-going. There was a pile of gold that crawled around the stage, some giants that looked like they had once been in a Transformers movie, and Rheinmadchens frolicking in acrylic bathtubs, and it was all uphill from there. I'm sorry you didn't get to see it. It'll be nice to have Wotan back to his real job though. 
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:17:32 pm »
I saw Aida when it was in town a while back.  Not my favorite opera, but you can't just turn down free tickets.  HGO always does a fantastic job.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 11:26:01 pm »
Opera was our daughter's little league.  She was in the choruses for children from about 7 to 14.  She went to every rehearsal and performance for a year as the stage manager's assistant, and was listed as a principal for The Magic Flute in high school singing the exalted role of First Genie.  I have slept through a lot of frickin' opera, and honestly, I can't say I've ever slept in a better production than tonight's. 

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 08:12:30 am »
One of HGO's baritones lives two houses down from us.  Do not, I repeat, do not try to out-drink someone who works in the arts.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 08:16:24 am »
One of HGO's baritones lives two houses down from us.  Do not, I repeat, do not try to out-drink someone who works in the arts.

The same is true for big league umpires. I used to try to keep up with them, and it is an absolute fool's errand.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 10:31:05 am »

Quick bit of advice: If you swap out your skinny jeans for sweat pants, your internal liquid storage capacity goes WAY up.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 07:31:49 pm »
Man Neil, I hope you are right and Wotan comes back to his true calling. It's fuckin' killing me. I ain't used to it.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit