Author Topic: Hipster monocles?  (Read 1716 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Hipster monocles?
« on: March 07, 2014, 07:23:36 am »
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Hipster monocles?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 07:27:13 am »
"The owner, James Berry, said that his customers include many men in their 40s and 50s who are finding that no amount of squinting with the naked eye enables them to decide if an iPhone emoticon is a nurse or a grinning devil. These wearers can’t bear the thought of soiling their noses with those banners of middle age, drugstore reading glasses."

I can see this, but only because I have to dig through my desk clutter looking for the drugstore reading glasses.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 07:27:34 am »
I just threw up all over my purple skinny jeans.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 07:54:44 am »
The only person they have documented actually wearing a monocle in a non-dress-up party situation is the rap mastermind in the picture.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 08:03:58 am »
"On a recent trip to Cape Town, Mr. Raymond said, he saw such a group carrying monocles along with tiny brass telescopes kept in satchels. "

For some reason  the first thing I thought of after reading that was Lawrence from Office Space's reaction to it.

"No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked, wearin' somethin' like that, man."

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 08:12:02 am »
I can't wait for this to be revealed as viral marketing for the next season of Portlandia.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 08:43:11 am »
I can't wait for this to be revealed as viral marketing for the next season of Portlandia.

Don't deny you want one.  Hipster.

If you go to the website the article mentions, they have lots of monocles.  In fact that's all they have.  They even have one or two in which you can put a prescription.  Prescription eyewear...what *will* they think of next.  Amazing ( <---favorite hipster word).

The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 11:31:33 am »

Or a Hogan's Heroes revival.
Goin' for a bus ride.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 11:51:15 am »

You know? This can't possibly be real.

I'd like to see someone slap that guy so hard his monocle goes flying right into his organic espresso. That would be aMAYzing.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 12:13:23 pm »
I ate at the Nomad last week and no one offered me a monocle.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 12:45:49 pm »
I ate at the Nomad last week and no one offered me a monocle.

That's odd. I would have thought that a monocle would be very helpful in actually being able to see your entree at that place.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 12:46:33 pm »
That's odd. I would have thought that a monocle would be very helpful in actually being able to see your entree at that place.

The wife and I split this:

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/one-dish-at-the-nomad/
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles