Author Topic: 3D Blu Ray  (Read 869 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
3D Blu Ray
« on: March 03, 2014, 04:32:04 pm »
I just took the plunge, and bought a 3D Blu Ray player specifically for "Gravity".  Will let you know how that looks once I've had a chance to fire it up but, in the meantime, anyone else have a 3D set-up and can recommend any other titles?
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Blu Ray
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 09:05:14 am »
Well, I was a full-blown sceptic going in, but colour me converted.  The 3D presentation was spectacular.  I haven't seen any other titles in 3D at home, so some of this may be down to the jaw-dropping visuals of Gravity, but the 3D worked amazingly well.  The opening shot of a beautiful, blue Earth rotating slowly as viewed from orbit made it seem like we were looking out of a window.

Having perused the list of other 3D titles, I'm not sure I'm so enthused to rush out an buy any*, but Gravity has shown that you can use 3D not as a gimmick and make far more rich entertainment experience.

* The only other one I think falls into the same non-gimmick category as Gravity would be Prometheus.  I saw it in 3D IMax, and the visuals were fantastic.  Just a shame it had a plot written by a 13-year boy old with ADD.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 09:32:04 am »
I haven't seen it but 'Life of Pi' is supposed to be a good movie with great 3D.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 10:05:05 am »
I haven't seen it but 'Life of Pi' is supposed to be a good movie with great 3D.

Was not really interested in the movie when it came out, but I'll think about it.  Thanks!

Trey

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 12:57:02 am »

I saw it in 2d (all that was available here), but I wish I could have seen it in 3D.  It seemed like it could be amazing and the word on the street was that it was.  I thought the rest of the movie was pretty good, as well, if a little heavy-handed.
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.