Author Topic: An NFL Top Draft Prospect Comes Out  (Read 5491 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
An NFL Top Draft Prospect Comes Out
« on: February 10, 2014, 09:24:50 am »
Michael Sam announced that he's gay.

Good for him.  Your move Aikman.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
Re: An NFL Top Draft Prospect Comes Out
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 09:41:48 am »
We were just discussing that issue at work. I applaud the young man. Apparently, his teammates at University of Missouri knew all season and had no problem with it. I wonder how the announcement will affect his draft status. From what I've read, before the announcement, Sam was projecting as a fourth round pick. I seriously doubt that a club would stretch to pick Sam because draft picks are too valuable. It will be interesting to see whether he drops down to the controversy that it will bring the team. Front offices are loath to impact the chemistry of a locker room. Some clubs won't want the publicity. If the players aren't on board, the poor guy may end up on an island alone, which would be both sad and pathetic.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 09:55:09 am »
According to this Deadspin report, the players are generally fine with it but the execs are reticent.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 09:57:11 am »
I'm sure the players and coaches will, for the most part, not give a shit.  There's a lot of pressure on Sam to perform now, so that everyone forgets about his orientation and focuses on his play on the field.

He's a "hometown" product (from Galveston) and is a DE who might be able to switch to OLB.  The Texans could use someone good at either position, but I have no idea if Sam's good enough.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:59:17 am »
According to this Deadspin report, the players are generally fine with it but the execs are reticent.

I'm curious who decided that "distraction" is coded language for homophobia; after a full year of hearing how much of a distraction Johnny Football would be to A&M, I fail to see how some nameless NFL exec using the same language about Sam is any different.  In both cases, the actual "distraction" is a non-issue.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 10:03:49 am »
He's a "hometown" product (from Galveston)...

Hitchcock, actually.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 10:10:54 am »

Those quotes are pathetic.  The league (well, the Eagles, at least) welcomed back convicted felon - and someone who used to kill dogs by bashing their heads on concrete - with little fuss.  It made Ray Lewis - a man who wasn't sent to jail for life for murder because he paid everyone, including the victim's family, to STFU - the focus of the 2013 Superbowl, and then gave him a ring and the MVP trophy.

And they worry about about Sam's impact on dressing room chemistry?

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 10:29:24 am »
Michael Sam announced that he's gay.

Good for him.  Your move Aikman.

None of us is under any obligation to reveal anything about ourselves to the masses. If being gay is not shameful and a non-event, and I'm in that camp btw, why do we care if they reveal themselves? It's not our business. Troy Aikman owes me nothing.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 10:36:05 am »
I'm curious who decided that "distraction" is coded language for homophobia; after a full year of hearing how much of a distraction Johnny Football would be to A&M, I fail to see how some nameless NFL exec using the same language about Sam is any different.  In both cases, the actual "distraction" is a non-issue.

Because in this case the "distraction" is the player's sexual orientation.  It's hiding behind a general term because he doesn't want to come right out and say it.  For Jonathan Footballamew, the term "distraction" was code for his partying, mouthiness and general primadonna act.  Employing the catchall term "distraction" in both cases is just lazy, but they refer to very different things. 

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 12:00:15 pm »
Because in this case the "distraction" is the player's sexual orientation.  It's hiding behind a general term because he doesn't want to come right out and say it.  For Jonathan Footballamew, the term "distraction" was code for his partying, mouthiness and general primadonna act.  Employing the catchall term "distraction" in both cases is just lazy, but they refer to very different things. 

Or as PFT Commenter succinctly put it:

I wouldnt hire him to work for me not because hes Gay but because hes a distraction and that distraction happens to be that hes Gay. It has nothing to do with him being Gay,

By the way, the entire article WHO CARES IF A PLAYER IS GAY? NOT ME. MY 1,000 WORD COLUMN is some of his finest work.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 12:07:10 pm »
Or as PFT Commenter succinctly put it:

I wouldnt hire him to work for me not because hes Gay but because hes a distraction and that distraction happens to be that hes Gay. It has nothing to do with him being Gay,

Yes.  Clearly he was a distraction as an out player at Missouri where his "Defensive Player of the Year" performance helped them to a top 5 finish this year.  Terrible.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 12:22:54 pm »
I hope the Texans draft him and that he transitions to OLB, goes nutso, comes in second to JJ in DPOY voting and that he is the catalyst for this becoming a non-issue in future years.

And if a certain NFC quarterback wants to join in the fun, hey, the more the merrier.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 12:42:41 pm »

Agreed.  Just saying that it's lazy in both instances. 
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 12:51:16 pm »
Agreed.  Just saying that it's lazy in both instances. 

It's lazy, but it's the reality. Whoever drafts him is going to have to deal with an inordinate amount of attention because of it.  He will be the most talked about 4th round (or where ever it ends up being) draft choice in history. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Randy Watson

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 01:26:34 pm »
It is distraction like Tim Tebow is a distraction.  

I am pretty sure most teams have a gay or two on them.  Hell Ernest Givins is as queer as a $3 bill.  His teammates knew that.  No distraction because he wasn't out.

This guy will have a lot of media coverage because he's the first one out.  Most coaches and execs don't want that.

He will make it easier on the next guy though and eventually it will be a non story.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:28:20 pm by Randy Watson »

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 04:43:19 pm »

Those quotes are pathetic.  The league (well, the Eagles, at least) welcomed back convicted felon - and someone who used to kill dogs by bashing their heads on concrete - with little fuss.  It made Ray Lewis - a man who wasn't sent to jail for life for murder because he paid everyone, including the victim's family, to STFU - the focus of the 2013 Superbowl, and then gave him a ring and the MVP trophy.

And they worry about about Sam's impact on dressing room chemistry?

You need to visit wfaa.com and watch Dale Hansen's videotaped statement, if you haven't already. It played on the news up here last night and again just a few minutes ago.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 05:31:53 pm »
This is a very sad article

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10439397/father-michael-sam-struggling-news-son-gay

I agree, but you must admit that Sam breaking the gay news to his parents via a text message last week didn't give him much time to process it before the press swooped in.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 05:47:27 pm »
I agree, but you must admit that Sam breaking the gay news to his parents via a text message last week didn't give him much time to process it before the press swooped in.

On the other hand, reading the article I can understand why he did it that way
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 05:47:52 pm »
This is a very sad article

Why would anything think it's sad?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 05:48:20 pm »
Also, despite the sadness of the article I (elitist prick that I am) couldn't help but laugh at this

Sam's father took the news hard. He said he was eating at a Denny's restaurant but had to leave after receiving the text.

"I couldn't eat no more, so I went to Applebee's to have drinks,"
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 05:50:00 pm »
Also, despite the sadness of the article I (elitist prick that I am) couldn't help but laugh at this

That was the saddest part.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 05:52:40 pm »
Why would anything think it's sad?

Sam Sr. told the newspaper. "I don't want my grandkids raised in that kind of environment."

Sam Sr., who described himself as "old-school," told the newspaper the idea of a gay player in the NFL bothers him, even when that person could be his own son.

He told the newspaper that late Hall of Famer Deacon Jones, the leader of the Rams' Fearsome Foursome who is credited with terming the word sack, "is turning over in his grave."

Imagine if your dad said he didn't think jackasses should be Petroleum Geologists?
  -  Orson Welles

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 05:56:14 pm »
That was the saddest part.

He probably kept his hat on and asked the waitress to sit down and take his order. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 05:58:21 pm »
Imagine if your dad said he didn't think jackasses should be Petroleum Geologists?

Hard because my dad "loves his son and hopes he makes it to the NFL". But even though I didn't make it to the NFL "they pretty much said 'we know and we love you and support you". You know kind of exactly what Michael Sam's father said. Perhaps that's a little too quaint for a spoiled selfish prick, but I'll take it.

On a side note, I like how you capitalized Petroleum Geologist.  It shows the proper respect. Now get on your knees and bark like a dog.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 06:00:07 pm by HudsonHawk »

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 06:08:03 pm »
I like how his biological father had no idea but his quasi-adopted father had it figured out ages ago.

And I can't be the only one around here who's had drinks at Applebee's.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 06:15:12 pm »

If I ever find myself in an Applebee's you can be sure that I will have several. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 06:20:02 pm »
I like how his biological father had no idea but his quasi-adopted father had it figured out ages ago.

I once bought a "membership" to Applebee's so I could drink there.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 06:34:26 pm »
I once bought a "membership" to Applebee's so I could drink there.

That goes in your permanent record
  -  Orson Welles

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 07:49:51 pm »
Once about 20 years ago I went to an Applebee's in St. Louis, probably drank a beer with my order of baby back ribs, maybe two. I've been to a Denny's too. There's nothing wrong with it unless you only can handle fancy shit.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 09:20:47 pm »
Once about 20 years ago I went to an Applebee's in St. Louis, probably drank a beer with my order of baby back ribs, maybe two. I've been to a Denny's too. There's nothing wrong with it unless you only can handle fancy shit.

Or you're in Enid, Oklahoma, and the Chat 'N Chew is closed, and there's nowhere else except the nastiest tittie bar you couldn't even imagine in your wildest dreams.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 10:24:43 pm »
What's creepier than finger-shaped bruises on your dancer? An amputee dancer, that's what.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 10:34:54 pm »

Denny's is fine. I sure as shit wouldn't leave a Denny's to go to an Applebee's.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2014, 04:47:02 am »
On the other hand, reading the article I can understand why he did it that way

I thought that act was cowardly. You go in and present yourself, your news and ask for their love and support. Texting "I'm gay" doesn't do it for me.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2014, 05:41:16 am »
I thought that act was cowardly. You go in and present yourself, your news and ask for their love and support. Texting "I'm gay" doesn't do it for me.

Yes, if i had a child, that's not the way I would like to find out. But every family is different and his seems pretty messed up, without more knowledge of his relationship with his father, I would be hesitant to label it cowardly.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2014, 05:42:28 am »
Texting "I'm gay" doesn't do it for me.

I know, right? Worst. Pick-up line. Ever.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2014, 06:41:34 am »
Yes, if i had a child, that's not the way I would like to find out. But every family is different and his seems pretty messed up, without more knowledge of his relationship with his father, I would be hesitant to label it cowardly.

Put yourself in the admittedly homophobic dad's place. Can you imagine while eating a meal, your son texts you, not calls you or comes to see you, but texts you in the middle of the day to drop that bombshell on you? Sam apparently didn't care what his father was doing or who he might have been with at the time that he sent the text message, which I find very self-absorbed and unfeeling. He had to have known that his dad might take that news hard. Why not a warning text first, like "I have big news. Are you sitting down and by yourself?" I stand by the cowardly comment and raise you a selfish.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2014, 07:05:37 am »
Did you see that he doesn't stay with his family when he comes back home? Obviously a lot going on there.
  -  Orson Welles

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2014, 09:16:19 am »
Did you see that he doesn't stay with his family when he comes back home? Obviously a lot going on there.

There's an interview with his high school football coach I saw somewhere, that talks about his family and his personal history.  The football coach comes across great, basically this is a Hitchcock kid and Hitchcock's got his back.  Really a tremendous response for the whole community.  Not much good said about his family though. 
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2014, 09:32:41 am »
Put yourself in the admittedly homophobic dad's place. Can you imagine while eating a meal, your son texts you, not calls you or comes to see you, but texts you in the middle of the day to drop that bombshell on you? Sam apparently didn't care what his father was doing or who he might have been with at the time that he sent the text message, which I find very self-absorbed and unfeeling. He had to have known that his dad might take that news hard. Why not a warning text first, like "I have big news. Are you sitting down and by yourself?" I stand by the cowardly comment and raise you a selfish.

You have no way of knowing the aspects of their relationship to criticize how Sam told his father.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2014, 04:11:04 pm »
You have no way of knowing the aspects of their relationship to criticize how Sam told his father.

From the newspaper reports, I gather the homophobic dad basically abandoned the family when Sam was quite young.  It doesn't sound like Sam owed his father anything.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2014, 04:25:45 pm »
From the newspaper reports, I gather the homophobic dad basically abandoned the family when Sam was quite young.  It doesn't sound like Sam owed his father anything.

That's my take on it as well. 

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2014, 07:02:18 pm »

I'm entitled to my opinion about it, counselor. If the relationship was non-existent or minimal, why tell him at all?

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2014, 07:35:14 pm »
I'm entitled to my opinion about it, counselor. If the relationship was non-existent or minimal, why tell him at all?

Because the press was going to track him down, and Sams is probably a better kid than the dad deserves. 

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2014, 10:14:31 pm »

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to point out that it is groundless and contrary to the evidence. It's a beautiful system.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2014, 06:32:42 am »
You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to point out that it is groundless and contrary to the evidence. It's a beautiful system.

This wasn't a case of "evidence." It was a case of feeling and opinion, more of a visceral reaction. I'm not defending the sorry ass father here, who clearly should have held his tongue to the baiting press's desire for a controversial quote. Dad should have publicly supported his son even if he was hurt and/or disagreed with how he handled it. The dad wasn't prepared for the press, but he should have been.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2014, 08:57:40 am »
The dad wasn't prepared for the press, but he should have been.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.