Author Topic: Proposed New Airline Rule  (Read 1826 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Proposed New Airline Rule
« on: July 21, 2013, 11:35:21 am »
So I'm sitting at the airport in New Orleans, booked on the 9:25 to Houston. We're delayed due to a mechanical issue. They won't say how long. The next flight up at our gate is the 12:25 to Houston. They're getting ready to board that one. I propose that when a flight is delayed because of plane trouble, the passengers on the earliest flight should get the next plane scheduled to that destination city.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Proposed New Airline Rule
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 12:14:15 pm »
I think that would cause logistical problems.  Better to have just one set of people's schedule fucked up.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 12:17:46 pm »
I think that would cause logistical problems.  Better to have just one set of people's schedule fucked up.

Yeah, I was just being facetious.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 01:20:45 pm »
They are now boarding the third flight to Houston since mine was scheduled. They are now telling us 3:55, but are only taking passengers who are connecting in Houston. If your final destination is Houston, they're saying they're hoping for 9:45 pm, twelve and a half hours late.  Passengers are having fits, realizing they could have driven to Houston and back in the time we've been sitting at the gate.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 01:42:29 pm »
They are now boarding the third flight to Houston since mine was scheduled. They are now telling us 3:55, but are only taking passengers who are connecting in Houston. If your final destination is Houston, they're saying they're hoping for 9:45 pm, twelve and a half hours late.  Passengers are having fits, realizing they could have driven to Houston and back in the time we've been sitting at the gate.

This is starting to happen with SWA more often now that its fleet is aging.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 02:05:19 pm »
This is starting to happen with SWA more often now that its fleet is aging.

Agreed. In a stroke of non-irony, we booked this trip on the free flight vouchers we got when the plane was 7 hours late on the last flight we took on SWA. I figure it's just bad mojo.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 03:46:46 pm »
Many years ago we were booked on a flight, I believe United, to Hawaii from LAX. We actually boarded the plane and there were just a few of us on it. We sat for quite a while before it was announced that the flight was delayed, and eventually cancelled, due to a mechanical problem. We left about eight hours later on a now-full flight to Hawaii. While I have no proof, I believe there was no mechanical issue but that they didn't want to send a mostly empty plane half-way across the Pacific.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 09:29:57 am »
Many years ago we were booked on a flight, I believe United, to Hawaii from LAX. We actually boarded the plane and there were just a few of us on it. We sat for quite a while before it was announced that the flight was delayed, and eventually cancelled, due to a mechanical problem. We left about eight hours later on a now-full flight to Hawaii. While I have no proof, I believe there was no mechanical issue but that they didn't want to send a mostly empty plane half-way across the Pacific.

I've had colleagues experience this on Southwest too.  They were on the early flight out of...New Orleans...to Houston, and it was struck by a passenger shortage mechanical failure.  Everyone was re-booked onto the next flight, but my colleagues were an hour late to our meeting.

I much prefer flying Southwest over United (the internet isn't big enough for me to list the things I prefer over flying United), but SWA are starting to lose their mojo.  No one would ever book a trip on United, or most other major airlines, with the thin tolerances for delay that many people will risk with Southwest, because Southwest has always been so simple and reliable.  If that faith starts to slip: (1) it'll be nigh on impossible to regain; and (b) they will lose some of their advantage over other airlines, and thus customers to them.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 12:13:36 pm »
I've had colleagues experience this on Southwest too.  They were on the early flight out of...New Orleans...to Houston, and it was struck by a passenger shortage mechanical failure.  Everyone was re-booked onto the next flight, but my colleagues were an hour late to our meeting.

This was definitely not the case yesterday. The flight was actually overbooked, and I'm certain they'd have rather sent the plane empty than have to  deal with the yelling and screaming they had to endure for 7 hours. People were simply animals. It was actually quite shocking, as I've experienced airplane delays before and never did people behave like that. It probably didn't help that most people were returning from the annual weeklong drinking convention.

As for SWA and empty planes, my experience (and info from a maintenance mechanic friend of mine) is that SWA generally doesn't have the "luxury" to do that. They don't have spare planes, everyone is scheduled every day (unless its out of service for scheduled maintenance), and they have to get that plane to the next city for the next flight. I was once on a flight on SWA where I was one of three passengers.

I much prefer flying Southwest over United (the internet isn't big enough for me to list the things I prefer over flying United), but SWA are starting to lose their mojo.  No one would ever book a trip on United, or most other major airlines, with the thin tolerances for delay that many people will risk with Southwest, because Southwest has always been so simple and reliable.  If that faith starts to slip: (1) it'll be nigh on impossible to regain; and (b) they will lose some of their advantage over other airlines, and thus customers to them.

SWA still has advantages in cost, and as such will always be the airline for vacationers and kids going to visit grandma. But it will definitely affect the business travelers. SWA has worked hard in the last few years to attract and take better care of their business travelers, but if their tight scheduling turns into too many delays, they'll certainly lose share in that market.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 05:32:07 pm »
A SWA plane's landing gear apparently just collapsed upon landing at LaGuardia.  Injuries expected.

I'd take the seven hour wait at the airport bar over over that.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 06:03:31 pm »
A SWA plane's landing gear apparently just collapsed upon landing at LaGuardia.  Injuries expected.

Given the "carrier landings" that SWA pilots seem to favour, I'm not surprised this hasn't happened a lot before.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 06:20:48 pm »
According to the Wall Street Journal the collapse occurred after landing, while the plane was taxiing.  Apparently it was not related to the Royal Birth.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley