Author Topic: Sports Headlines From Around the Globe  (Read 1313 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Sports Headlines From Around the Globe
« on: June 21, 2013, 01:50:08 am »
Why is that I get better sports coverage pretty much any place in the word than in Houston?  (that's a rhetorical question, chuck, I'm not expecting an answer)

From this morning's Arab Times sports pages...

Lead Story (cricket):  India outplay Sri Lanka to reach Champs Trophy final - Apparently India are a cricket juggernaut.  Host England had better watch out...that Shikhar Dhawan is quite a masher.

Soccer (yes they call it soccer, not "football"):

Spain thrash Tahiti 10-0, break FIFA record - This is just embarassing.
Italy edge Japan to make semis
Neymar counter-attacks in word and deed

Hockey:  Hawks edge Bruins to level Stanley Cup final - Hockey is more important in the Middle East than it is in the US.

Badminton:  Filippino Badminton Association of Ahmadi Summer Smash Tournament returns to action - I've been wondering what was going on in the international badminton world.

Horse Racing:  Queen makes history with Royal Ascot Gold Cup Win - apparently "top hats were thrown skywards".

Olympics:  2016 Games will bring 'significant benefits' - The Brazilian natives are restless.  

Auto racing:  Mercedes accuse FIA of 'double standards' - Those sneaky Germans are at it again, this time with illegal tyres.

Baseball:  
Davis homers twice as Orioles rout Tigers 13-3 - Davis leads the league with 26 dingers.
Houston host MLB diversity summit - Fuck you Bud.

Rugby:  
Folau among 3 new caps for Wallabies - It takes a combined British and Irish team to match up against the Aussies.
5 changes to All Blacks team against France - An "all blacks" team?  So much for Bud and his diversity program.

Tennis:
Serena targets 6th Wimbledon title, 17th major - Speaking of juggernauts...
Murray poised to end Britain 77 years of pain - It's tough being a Limey tennis fan...

The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Sports Headlines From Around the Globe
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 01:38:53 pm »
Why is that I get better sports coverage pretty much any place in the word than in Houston?  (that's a rhetorical question, chuck, I'm not expecting an answer)

That's too bad. After reading your first 18 words I was leaning forward in my chair already fashioning my reply.

I'm trying to decide whether being predictable is virtuous or just plain boring.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregĂșntale a Pedro Navaja

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 01:46:53 pm »
Are there are a lot of people from the Phillipines in Kuwait?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 02:01:49 pm »
Are there are a lot of people from the Phillipines in Kuwait?

Yes. Lots of people from the Philippines, from India, from Sri Lanka, from Indonesia, from the US, from the UK...just not many actually from Kuwait.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 08:45:05 pm »
One is geared to an international audience the other is for a bunch of bush-neck lackeys.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit