Author Topic: New Astros Top 10?!?  (Read 4642 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
New Astros Top 10?!?
« on: June 09, 2013, 02:35:57 pm »
So... presuming the Astros sign their first 5 picks from the 2013 draft, how would you rank the Astros Top 10 prospects now?  For me, it changes every time I think about it, but for the moment (and it will likely change immediately after I hit 'post'), I think it goes like this:

1. Correa
2. Appel (2013 Draft)
3. Springer
4. Singleton
5. Foltynewicz
6. Cozart
7. McCUllers, Jr.
8. DeShields, Jr.
9. Tropeano
10. Thurman (2013 Draft)

Thoughts?
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
Re: New Astros Top 10?!?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 02:57:39 pm »
I'd switch out 3 and 4.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 03:01:32 pm »
I'd switch out 3 and 4.

I did originally, but decided to punish him because of his suspension ('cause, ya know, going from 3 to 4 in OSF's post draft top 10 certainly must feel like a punishment to him and all...).
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 03:29:44 pm »
I did originally, but decided to punish him because of his suspension ('cause, ya know, going from 3 to 4 in OSF's post draft top 10 certainly must feel like a punishment to him and all...).

Are you trying to piss him off before his next game?
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

pots

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 03:31:25 pm »
So... presuming the Astros sign their first 5 picks from the 2013 draft, how would you rank the Astros Top 10 prospects now?  For me, it changes every time I think about it, but for the moment (and it will likely change immediately after I hit 'post'), I think it goes like this:

1. Correa
2. Appel (2013 Draft)
3. Springer
4. Singleton
5. Foltynewicz
6. Cozart
7. McCUllers, Jr.
8. DeShields, Jr.
9. Tropeano
10. Thurman (2013 Draft)

Thoughts?

1. Correa
2. Singleton
3. Appel (2013 Draft)
4. Foltynewicz
5. Springer
6. McCullers, Jr.
7. DeShields, Jr.
8. Cozart
9. Tropeano
10. Fontana

Thurman is a pitchability guy.  He's going to have to do something with it professionally before he cracks my top 10.  Honorable mentions to Wojciechowski and Carlos Perez.  Everytime I look at this list I change the order.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 03:51:03 pm »
1. Folty
2. Springer
3. Singleton
4. Correa
5. Appel
6. Cosart
7. DeShields
8. McCullers
9. Villar
10. Santana

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 03:52:35 pm »
1. Folty
2. Springer
3. Singleton
4. Correa
5. Appel
6. Cosart
7. DeShields
8. McCullers
9. Villar
10. Santana

A true contrarian.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 03:55:53 pm »
A true contrarian.

Perhaps, but he reminded me that I should've had Villar in my top 10 (sending Thurman to the next 10, perhaps moving him to 12 behind Fontana).

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 07:33:09 pm »
Jake Buchanan is wondering what the hell he has to do to make an Orangewhoopass Top 10 prospects list.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

roadrunner

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 10:26:14 pm »
1. Singleton
2. Correa
3. Appel
4. Folty
5. Springer
6. Cosart
7. DDS
8. McCullers

9-10 are any of Villar, Buchanon, Tropeano, Santana, Aaron West, Fontana.

Remember when the draft would instantly fill 3-4 spots of the top 10 list?  Much better now with the depth of the system.

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 07:17:39 am »
1. Singleton
2. Correa
3. Appel
4. Folty
5. Springer
6. Cosart
7. DDS
8. McCullers

9-10 are any of Villar, Buchanon, Tropeano, Santana, Aaron West, Fontana.

Remember when the draft would instantly fill 3-4 spots of the top 10 list?  Much better now with the depth of the system.

There's that, and this year's draft was very safe. Not that there won't be good players who come out of it, but Elias admits that they focused on polish. Maybe that's code for "Appel's getting a lot of money, so we can't go crazy" or "We're not sure what Appel is going to cost, so we'll wait until after Round 10 to pick overslot guys so we don't lose cap space". Either way, there were guys available in Rounds 2 and possibly 3 who I would have put on this list. Not at the top, like previous years, though.

My personal list:

1. Correa
2. Singleton
3. Appel
4. Springer
5. Folty
6. LMC
7. Cosart
8. DDS
9. Sanatana
10. Wojo

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 08:25:01 am »
There's that, and this year's draft was very safe. Not that there won't be good players who come out of it, but Elias admits that they focused on polish. Maybe that's code for "Appel's getting a lot of money, so we can't go crazy" or "We're not sure what Appel is going to cost, so we'll wait until after Round 10 to pick overslot guys so we don't lose cap space". Either way, there were guys available in Rounds 2 and possibly 3 who I would have put on this list. Not at the top, like previous years, though.

Yeah, I was dissappointed with how it went.  Might just be a reflection of how weak the class was this year.  The entire draft class seems like Appel and the rest.  Last year there was 5 or 6 guys to get excited about.  Seemed like they were missing the heck out of somebody this year. 

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 09:40:36 am »
Yeah, I was dissappointed with how it went.  Might just be a reflection of how weak the class was this year.  The entire draft class seems like Appel and the rest.  Last year there was 5 or 6 guys to get excited about.  Seemed like they were missing the heck out of somebody this year. 

I agree that this year's draft definitely lacked the excitement, but I am happy with the strategy they employed.  Hopefully a handful of these guys will be sniffing Houston in 2-3 years which would be in line with a lot of the guys that have been acquired over the last few years via trades and the draft.  I wouldn't be surprised if ownership put a little pressure on Luhnow and Elias to go after more "immediate" talent this year due to the product over the past 2.5 years in Houston.

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 09:52:54 am »

I think the class was weaker, but I think the new rules had an effect this year, as well.  We saw more HS players drop into the "who cares if it's a wasted pick" range after they didn't go on the first day and opted for college.  If the HS class is decent, the draft in three years could be really good.  But, this year, the borderline first-rounders just decided to take their ball and come back later.  

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
New Astros Top 10?!?
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 10:15:20 am »
Jake Buchanan is wondering what the hell he has to do to get a shot at AAA make an Orangewhoopass Top 10 prospects list.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:22:33 am by geezerdonk »
E come vivo? Vivo.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 10:29:22 am »
it would be interesting to see a list based not on talent and upside, but shortest time to the major leagues.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 10:39:03 am »
Perhaps we were spoiled by the creative way they spread the money around last year. I'm willing to give it time to see if perhaps there's a few undervalued nuggets they found this year. Aplin, Heineman, Rodgers, Tucker, Bircher, West... those are all similar to many of this year's picks - unheralded, unsexy college guys from Round 3 or later - and they have all really impressed thus far.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 03:01:31 pm »
late to the game but:

1. Singleton
2. Correa
3. Appell
4. Springer
5. Folty
6. Cosart
7. McCullars
8. Deshields
9. Santana
10. Villar
Always ready to go to a game.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
New Astros Top 10?!?
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 03:10:46 pm »
Its tough to leave Asher Woj and Santana off of the list.
E come vivo? Vivo.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 03:26:22 pm »
Looks like the same names but in some different orders for the first 8. It is the last two spots that different guys get mentioned. I think that's a good thing. A couple of years ago it was hard to name ten that may be deserving.