Author Topic: Crane  (Read 1758 times)

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
Crane
« on: February 10, 2013, 04:07:49 pm »
He's evidently a capable golfer. He's out at the AT&T at Pebble Beach, and he's tied for the pro-am lead at -30. Apparently owns a 3 handicap at Lochinvar.

So he's got that going for him, which is nice.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
Re: Crane
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 04:30:43 pm »
Not sure he's a real owner unless he's been spotted lighting his cigars with C-notes.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 04:58:05 pm »
Not sure he's a real owner unless he's been spotted lighting his cigars with C-notes.

He owns a home at Pebble, too. I wish he would adopt me.

WakePhil

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 06:17:57 pm »
He owns a home at Pebble, too. I wish he would adopt me.

Between my senior year and graduate year I took a road trip across the country with a couple friends. It always amazes me how fortunate we were on this trip. Never significantly lost, never hit traffic, no accidents, no tickets. We had a momentary car scare in Hannibal, MO (loose engine mount) but the car heroically pushed on before finally breaking down in Carmel, CA of all places. We had driven through some god-forsaken parts of the country* only to breakdown in one of the most beautiful spots in the entire country.

We rented a car for the day to drive around 17 mile road. We saw the lone palm and Pebble's 18th then remembered that some new member of the fraternity grew up out here. We track down his number and he's in town. He takes us to the Spanish Bay restaurant, puts the dinner on his Dad's tab, then takes us out for the night. Turns out this guy has never played golf. Has no interest. He lives minutes from 3 of the best golf courses in the world and it never occurred to him to play. He only seemed partially aware of how lucky he was to have access to these courses. Baffling.

Not long after, he came down with some strange liver disease that kept him out of school for a year. He returned a completely changed person. He dressed properly, could engage people socially and decided to take up golf.

* my favorite was some bombed out portion of Nevada. It proudly advertised the fact that it was a nuclear bomb test site and looked the part. Totally barren. Looked like a scene out of a post-apocalyptic western. As I recall, we had two hotel choices: a best western and an unnamed motel with a clown motif. There was a 20 foot tall worn wooden clown waiving you into the parking lot and life size clown pin ups on the door to each room. I can only imagine that this was the city's attempt to attract horror film production. Best Western was normally outside our budget for lodging, but we made an exception.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 06:57:05 pm »
* my favorite was some bombed out portion of Nevada.

Tonopah. Yes, that is surely one of the most unappealing and uninviting places in North America.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregĂșntale a Pedro Navaja

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 06:59:17 pm »
Tonopah. Yes, that is surely one of the most unappealing and uninviting places in North America.

Of Bonnie Raitt/Little Feat/everybody else fame?
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 07:20:54 pm »
Of Bonnie Raitt/Little Feat/everybody else fame?

I think he's talking about the town in Arizona. I can't imagine why anyone would pay good money to get smuggled to Tonopah, NV.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 07:44:42 pm »
I think he's talking about the town in Arizona. I can't imagine why anyone would pay good money to get smuggled to Tonopah, NV.

Yeah, but it don't take money. Just weed, whites and wine...
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 08:31:08 pm »
Yeah, but it don't take money. Just weed, whites and wine...

You'd need all of the above if you wanted to spend any time in that shithole, believe me.

Although their NPR station is better than Houston's.
Y todo lo que sube baja

WakePhil

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 09:26:14 am »

I couldn't remember the name, but yes, that's definitely it.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 09:29:33 am »
For the record, Sandia Corporation (and now Sandia National Labs) that runs the Tonopah Test Range is in charge of the production of the non-nuclear parts of a nuclear weapon, so Tonopah must have achieved its "look" with only conventional munitions.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 11:44:36 am »
Crane owns this place http://floridian.cc/ in the Palm Beach area and the president is a scheduled guest this weekend.