Author Topic: Last home game as a National League team.  (Read 6448 times)

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Last home game as a National League team.
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:22:10 am »
It ends tonight.  It is also Milo's last night in the booth....allegedly.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
Re: Last home game as a National League team.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 11:23:27 am »
i know it is here, but still has not sunk in. sad times . hope the crowd shows up out of respect
forever is composed entirely of nows

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 11:23:59 am »
Do you think it will be crowded tonight?  Slightly more than usual?  The same?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 11:28:30 am »
I think it will be slightly larger than what they've been seeing.  I turned down tickets.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:32:02 am »
Do you think it will be crowded tonight?  Slightly more than usual?  The same?

CraneCo has to be conflicted.  On one hand they could have played up the event, had much better attendance and madde some cash.  On the other hand, if you promote the event it brings to light that you are moving the team to the AL.

They decided to pass on this money making venture....

I am going tonight, will be interesting to see if they break the 12K mark.   Bud can then say, see Houston doesn't really care about the NL

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 11:32:55 am »
CraneCo has to be conflicted.  On one hand they could have played up the event, had much better attendance and madde some cash.  On the other hand, if you promote the event it brings to light that you are moving the team to the AL.

I am going tonight, will be interesting to see if they break the 12K mark.   Bud can then say, see Houston doesn't really care about the NL

I'm going also.  Long live the national league. 

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 12:11:24 pm »
This will also be Junction Jack's last game.  He will be executed by hanging, from the new Community Leaders scoreboard, immediately following the game.  Kinda looking forward to that.

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 12:14:30 pm »
May I just add... FYB!!!
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 12:18:46 pm »
Just thinking about it gets me misty eyed.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 02:06:18 pm »
This will also be Junction Jack's last game.  He will be executed by hanging, from the new Community Leaders scoreboard, immediately following the game.  Kinda looking forward to that.

I heard there would be rabbit confit tacos at Sheriff Blaylock's next season.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 02:12:30 pm »
I bet Sheriff Blaylock gets the firing squad before the Astros first game as a AL team.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 02:41:03 pm »
no trains, no rabbits, no hills, no sheriff what are the going to use for a mascot a space alien?
forever is composed entirely of nows

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 02:43:42 pm »

I will be the other guy at the fake BUS pregame. 

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 02:47:57 pm »

Indeed. Lucky duck. I can't even watch the game from up here in Big Sky country.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 03:34:36 pm »
I will be the other guy at the fake BUS pregame. 

Yeah, me too, though I can't promise I'm going to be there long . . .
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 03:40:36 pm »
FYB
He breezed him, one more time!

ValpoCory

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 08:12:45 pm »
It ends tonight.  It is also Milo's last night in the booth....allegedly.

Is the game on the internet anywhere via a rogue affiliate or something?  Or has the MLB fun police taken care of all the loopholes?

ETA:  Sweet, I found one.   The affiliate in Brenham.   http://tunein.com/station/?StationId=26809

Brenham's station with a big FYB.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:16:56 pm by ValpoCory »

ValpoCory

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 08:51:54 pm »

Almost 19,000 in attendance tonight.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 11:24:09 pm »
Almost 19,000 in attendance tonight.

Playoff atmosphere!

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 11:49:36 pm »
Not a single mention of the 50 year history in the NL at any point in the game, other than when the weather dude came on the big screen and mentioned it passing.  Great performance from Bud, a 2-0 game played in 2 hours 35 minutes too.

headhunter

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 03:01:11 am »
Took two of the boys. Parking, free. Tickets--five bucks for me, a dollar each for the guys (8 and 11), cheaper than a movie. 3 JR Richard bobble heads, and a poster of ex-Astros with next years schedule. I buy two mini bats which the kids use to pound out cheers to the Astros on seats and railings looking at me to see how far they can go. I don't care, there's only cardinal fans around. The game is wonderful: double plays, bunts, a steal to get in scoring position that pays off--the kids love it. They love Bud's nickname and no Charlie I will not call you Shiner. We talk about the DH and the AL and Milo who seems older than God to them--hell he's older than grandpa, by a lot. Sam is into all the chants and is following the pitch count and is rooting for him to get into the later innings and earn the win. I am having so many memories wash over me looking at all the pennant flags with the tiny NL on them. The kids don't care. They're having a blast and I am too.  We buy two cookies and cream waffle cones and a coke icee and sit in much better seats, largely alone with cardinal fans a few rows down. The boys ask if they can open the bobble heads. Hell yeah only creepy guys leave them in the box. I tell them about JR Richard and they are moved--his number should definitely be retired. We talk about Altuve and Charlie says he's a magic midget and then sure enough our solo all-star hits a solo shot to give the good guys a lead. And the kids love all the stupid games and contests and the season ticket holder who is dancing cause he won a big freaking tv for reupping on the tickets for next season. After a tense 8th the Astros close it out in the top of the ninth. Carlos Beltran gets booed. Milo gets applauded. Bud pitches a fantastic game and Altuve delivers. After high-fives and hugs the guys declare that this was the best baseball game ever and they want to go to opening day. Because if the Astros can beat the team that won the world series then they can beat the team that lost the world series too. Sam admits that he thought the Astros would loose and he was ashamed that there were so many cardinals fans and so few astros but we didnt give up on the astros did we and we got to see them win. I told him that he might have seen the very last game that a pitcher ever has an at bat in Houston. He thinks about that. Thanks for taking me Dad, I'll never forget it. We get in the car and the first thing we hear is that the pirates lost to the mets. Damn this is a good night. Both boys tell me that they want to play baseball now--and my sixth grader tells me on ride home that at a baseball game he forgets his worries. Me too.  
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 03:06:10 am by headhunter »
my probation officer is real proud of me
I drive an Olds 88 got the devil on a leash...
I'm going out West...

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 05:21:30 am »
Took two of the boys. Parking, free. Tickets--five bucks for me, a dollar each for the guys (8 and 11), cheaper than a movie. 3 JR Richard bobble heads, and a poster of ex-Astros with next years schedule. I buy two mini bats which the kids use to pound out cheers to the Astros on seats and railings looking at me to see how far they can go. I don't care, there's only cardinal fans around. The game is wonderful: double plays, bunts, a steal to get in scoring position that pays off--the kids love it. They love Bud's nickname and no Charlie I will not call you Shiner. We talk about the DH and the AL and Milo who seems older than God to them--hell he's older than grandpa, by a lot. Sam is into all the chants and is following the pitch count and is rooting for him to get into the later innings and earn the win. I am having so many memories wash over me looking at all the pennant flags with the tiny NL on them. The kids don't care. They're having a blast and I am too.  We buy two cookies and cream waffle cones and a coke icee and sit in much better seats, largely alone with cardinal fans a few rows down. The boys ask if they can open the bobble heads. Hell yeah only creepy guys leave them in the box. I tell them about JR Richard and they are moved--his number should definitely be retired. We talk about Altuve and Charlie says he's a magic midget and then sure enough our solo all-star hits a solo shot to give the good guys a lead. And the kids love all the stupid games and contests and the season ticket holder who is dancing cause he won a big freaking tv for reupping on the tickets for next season. After a tense 8th the Astros close it out in the top of the ninth. Carlos Beltran gets booed. Milo gets applauded. Bud pitches a fantastic game and Altuve delivers. After high-fives and hugs the guys declare that this was the best baseball game ever and they want to go to opening day. Because if the Astros can beat the team that won the world series then they can beat the team that lost the world series too. Sam admits that he thought the Astros would loose and he was ashamed that there were so many cardinals fans and so few astros but we didnt give up on the astros did we and we got to see them win. I told him that he might have seen the very last game that a pitcher ever has an at bat in Houston. He thinks about that. Thanks for taking me Dad, I'll never forget it. We get in the car and the first thing we hear is that the pirates lost to the mets. Damn this is a good night. Both boys tell me that they want to play baseball now--and my sixth grader tells me on ride home that at a baseball game he forgets his worries. Me too.  

I enjoyed reading every word of this. Thank you. It simply reaffirms yet again why God smiles during baseball season.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 06:35:36 am »
Thanks for taking me Dad, I'll never forget it. We get in the car and the first thing we hear is that the pirates lost to the mets. Damn this is a good night. Both boys tell me that they want to play baseball now--and my sixth grader tells me on ride home that at a baseball game he forgets his worries. Me too.  

Beautiful. That's baseball.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 08:37:01 am »
Nice job, Headhunter.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 09:32:30 am »

Awesome. 

Granted it's the AL, but I can't wait for opening day next year.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 09:36:56 am »
That was great.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 09:52:23 am »
great story, headhunter. You're making me feel like a bad fan!
Grab another Coke and let's die

ValpoCory

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2012, 10:19:04 am »
They love Bud's nickname

Are you talking about Bud Norris or Bud Selig?   And what nickname are you talking about?  David Stefan, aka "Bud"? Or Selig? An 8 year old running around saying Fuck You Bud is awesome, don't get me wrong.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2012, 10:37:32 am »
Thanks for sharing that Hradhunter. Did my heart good!
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2012, 10:51:04 am »

Great story.  Sounds like everything a dad could ask for.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2012, 11:33:33 am »
So last night Jose de Jesus Ortiz sits down behind us to interview a season ticket holder, in the middle of the game.  Long time season ticket holder, super nice guy, there are quotes from him in JdJO's article today if you are interested.

So while performing the interview, Ortiz asks the gentleman when was the first Astro game he attended, in which the fan replies, "1962 my Dad took me to Colt Stadium!" 

Ortiz's reply? 

"What is Colt Stadium?"

Unbelievable.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 11:51:07 am »
So last night Jose de Jesus Ortiz sits down behind us to interview a season ticket holder, in the middle of the game.  Long time season ticket holder, super nice guy, there are quotes from him in JdJO's article today if you are interested.

So while performing the interview, Ortiz asks the gentleman when was the first Astro game he attended, in which the fan replies, "1962 my Dad took me to Colt Stadium!" 

Ortiz's reply? 

"What is Colt Stadium?"

Unbelievable.

I wrote Chuy to ask him about this. Since he got demoted from Astros coverage and is now the beat writer for youth league soccer I really haven't had the opportunity to berate him in a long while.

Anyway, I asked him if Navin's account was accurate. (I do not doubt that it is.) His reply:

"He overheard incorrectly. That's what happens when folks listen in on conversations. Considering the book I wrote and the hundreds of times I've written about Colt Stadium, I think I know the stadium."
Y todo lo que sube baja

headhunter

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 11:53:24 am »
Are you talking about Bud Norris or Bud Selig?   And what nickname are you talking about?  David Stefan, aka "Bud"? Or Selig? An 8 year old running around saying Fuck You Bud is awesome, don't get me wrong.
Bud Norris of course. I've read that Norris earned the nickname when as a youngun he imitated his old man and answered "BUD" when a waiter asked him what he wanted to drink.

The boys don't need to know anything about Selig. I wish I didn't.

The eight year old does say "FTC" and knows what means. His mother doesn't.

Last night on the ride home Sam, feeling giddy, says "dad, permission to curse?" Granted. then he roars, "that was FUCKING awesome." Charlie then runs with it and starts chanting FUCK THE CUBS FUCK THE CUBS FUCK THE CUBS AND FUCK THE CARDINALS TOO!
I'm going out West...

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2012, 12:25:10 pm »
Last night on the ride home Sam, feeling giddy, says "dad, permission to curse?" Granted. then he roars, "that was FUCKING awesome." Charlie then runs with it and starts chanting FUCK THE CUBS FUCK THE CUBS FUCK THE CUBS AND FUCK THE CARDINALS TOO!

I can visualize this and it makes me laugh out loud.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2012, 12:51:43 pm »
You have good kids.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2012, 12:57:53 pm »
I wrote Chuy to ask him about this. Since he got demoted from Astros coverage and is now the beat writer for youth league soccer I really haven't had the opportunity to berate him in a long while.

Anyway, I asked him if Navin's account was accurate. (I do not doubt that it is.) His reply:

"He overheard incorrectly. That's what happens when folks listen in on conversations.

He was sitting directly behind me, conducting a fucking interview in the middle of the game. Not between innings or before the game, while play was going on.  And it is kinda hard not to hear someone talking about a foot and a half from my ear.   F Ortiz.

He also commented on the jersey the old guy was wearing.  It was a Berkman jersey.  The old guy  also explained, that he was wearing the shirt they gave out for Biggio's 3000th hit underneath it.  Ortiz's reply... "2000th, what?"

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 12:04:12 am »

Thanks man, that was great.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 01:06:22 am »
He was sitting directly behind me, conducting a fucking interview in the middle of the game. Not between innings or before the game, while play was going on.  And it is kinda hard not to hear someone talking about a foot and a half from my ear.   F Ortiz.

He also commented on the jersey the old guy was wearing.  It was a Berkman jersey.  The old guy  also explained, that he was wearing the shirt they gave out for Biggio's 3000th hit underneath it.  Ortiz's reply... "2000th, what?"

I'm demoting you to Assistant Royals Fan for not turning around and punching that fuckwad right between the eyes for me.

Ortiz is such an assclown.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

headhunter

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 10:39:15 am »
Thanks man, that was great.
Someday I'm going to tell the boys about you farting on the Cardinal jerseys. I think it of almost constantly when I see the Best Fans In Baseball overtake Houston in a conclave of lost lice- infested  grackles.
I'm going out West...

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2012, 11:08:47 am »
Someday I'm going to tell the boys about you farting on the Cardinal jerseys. I think it of almost constantly when I see the Best Fans In Baseball overtake Houston in a conclave of lost lice- infested  grackles.

Ha! Thanks, that made me grin. Sounds like you've got some great boys.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2012, 03:56:31 pm »

That must've near ruined your experience of the game. In addition to being a shitty, petty writer and a whiny asshole, Ortiz has one of the most annoying voices I've ever heard.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2012, 04:33:21 pm »
Sort of a Peter Lorre on crack?

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2012, 05:48:53 pm »
Maybe a drunk Peter Lorre on crack.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2012, 08:13:40 pm »
Peter Lorre. Awesome.

I've been thinking about this and surely that sniveling idiot knows what Colt Stadium is. I think that it must just be that he is deaf as well as dumb. If someone hadn't come up with Peter Lorre I would suggest we call him Tommy.
Y todo lo que sube baja

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2012, 08:56:21 pm »
Maybe a drunk Peter Lorre on crack.

Drunk Peter Lorre on crack while trying to pass a kidney stone.

headhunter

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2012, 06:51:31 am »
Comparing Lorre and Ortiz is unfair to Lorre. For starters, Lorre just pretended to be a homicidal pedophile.
I'm going out West...

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2012, 11:16:54 am »
Peter Lorre. Awesome.

I've been thinking about this and surely that sniveling idiot knows what Colt Stadium is. I think that it must just be that he is deaf as well as dumb. If someone hadn't come up with Peter Lorre I would suggest we call him Tommy.
I doubt Ortiz is any good at pinball. In fact, I can't imagine him being good at anything, except, apparently, avoiding getting fired.