Author Topic: So, I have a torn labrum.  (Read 3013 times)

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
So, I have a torn labrum.
« on: July 05, 2012, 01:04:42 pm »
Anyone that has gone through the procedure and recovery care to let me know what to expect?  I have a flouroscopic MRI this week then the arthroscopic procedure another 10 days later.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Re: So, I have a torn labrum.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 01:06:17 pm »
I didn't know that could happen to guys.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 01:25:17 pm »
According to this article you have a 3% chance of becoming Rocky Biddle.
http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2004/05/labrum_it_nearly_killed_him.html

Here's something from BP: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=15797

You may be interested in this specifically:
Post-operative treatment involves a sling. No stressing of the biceps occurs for at least six weeks, with heavier lifting delayed even longer. The surgeon’s protocol is highly dependent on the extent of the damage and personal preference. Some allow use of the sling to be discontinued after one week, but most require at least four weeks of use.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 04:40:51 pm »
get better quick
forever is composed entirely of nows

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 06:13:23 pm »
I didn't know that could happen to guys.

only very sensitive guys
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 06:29:38 pm »
Hope you surgery and rehab go well. How did you do that?
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Phil_in_CS

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 06:52:52 pm »
Anyone that has gone through the procedure and recovery care to let me know what to expect?  I have a flouroscopic MRI this week then the arthroscopic procedure another 10 days later.

Well, if you run into Bagwell somewhere you will have a subject for discussion.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 07:09:03 pm »

I've had one since 1995. I'm not sure Bagwell cares, even if I have a man-crush on him.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 07:07:56 am »
Hope you surgery and rehab go well. How did you do that?

Thanks. I did it on a poor brace kayaking, a dumbbell fly or doing stupid sh*t like this: http://www.spikesnstars.com/forums/index.php?topic=106741.0

Hard to tell as it typically just feels like you tweaked something that will heal in a week but gets progressively worse then better (then worse) over time as you continue to work it.

That referenced thread is quintessential TZ for me, btw and represents all the goodness that Noe, Waldo, Zipp, etc... have built for us over the years. A bunch of friends yakking about nothing at all, complete with an appearance by Mihoba.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 07:11:18 am »
I'll keep that in mind.  I'm surprised he could heave the ball to first there at the end.  From the catcher position, I could barely get it back to the pitcher at the end of this season.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 03:59:56 pm »
Anyone that has gone through the procedure and recovery care to let me know what to expect?  I have a flouroscopic MRI this week then the arthroscopic procedure another 10 days later.

My oldest son had that injury and went through Dr. Mark Addicks at Herman/UT back in late March/early April.  He had injured the shoulder four times in 11 months as a member of his sophomore and his JV team.  He did go under anesthesia, because they want you perfectly still during the procedure.

After the surgery (the wait was longer than the procedure), he wore a sling for two weeks, was forbidden from driving and was done with his pain medication after two days--didn't like how they made him feel.

The first two months of his rehab were managed by his trainer at the high school (an Addicks discliple), the last month through folks at his health club.  He's now back in action playing basketball, though not with the summer league/AAU squad.  He is expected to start for his team in the fall at the 5, but they run a Princeton-style offense, meaning he won't be set up offensively down low but rather at the free-throw line for passing/pick-setting purposes.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:03:06 pm by ybbodeus »
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 09:53:40 am »
My oldest son had that injury and went through former Baylor All-American lineman Dr. Mark Addicks at Herman/UT back in late March/early April. 

FIFY (fixed it for Ybbo)
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 12:18:22 pm »
My oldest son had that injury and went through Dr. Mark Addicks at Herman/UT back in late March/early April.  He had injured the shoulder four times in 11 months as a member of his sophomore and his JV team.  He did go under anesthesia, because they want you perfectly still during the procedure.

After the surgery (the wait was longer than the procedure), he wore a sling for two weeks, was forbidden from driving and was done with his pain medication after two days--didn't like how they made him feel.

The first two months of his rehab were managed by his trainer at the high school (an Addicks discliple), the last month through folks at his health club.  He's now back in action playing basketball, though not with the summer league/AAU squad.

I'm just a tad older than your son so I guess it's time for me to look around for a hookup to score some HGH for post-op recovery.  Anyone have the phone number for Debbie Clemens?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 01:04:22 pm »
I'm just a tad older than your son so I guess it's time for me to look around for a hookup to score some HGH for post-op recovery.  Anyone have the phone number for Debbie Clemens?

There's a guy who can make you go from pot-bellied old man to super buff body builder old man, in just weeks.  I've seen the before and after in the back of Spirit magazine.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.