Author Topic: Since we're talking men's fashion...  (Read 17580 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Since we're talking men's fashion...
« on: June 15, 2012, 10:17:51 am »
My wife and I have this debate all the time.  Like a lot of men, I wear undershirts.  I think they make you more comfortable and your shirts last longer when you wear them.  My wife likes the crew neck version, so that she can see the collar under my shirt.  I personally think it's tacky when any of your underwear is showing, short or shirts, and like the v-necks. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Since we're talking men's fashion...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 10:20:14 am »
I'd much rather see "underwear" than other dudes chest hairs, but that is just me.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 10:22:53 am »
I'd much rather see "underwear" than other dudes chest hairs, but that is just me.

If you can see chest hair with only the top button open, you can pretty much see it from under a crewneck collar.  If a guy wears his shirt unbuttoned halfway down his chest, that's another matter entirely.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 10:25:34 am »
I find v-necks to be uncomfortable.  Though I think v-necks look a lot better on women than crew necks do.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 10:30:24 am »
I find v-necks to be uncomfortable.  Though I think v-necks look a lot better on women than crew necks do.

This mystifies me.  What's uncomfortable about slightly less shirt?

And yes, unless you have enough chest hair to be mistaken for a Wookie, wearing a v-neck usually isn't a problem.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 10:36:18 am »
+1 on the v-neck.  I can wear any casual shirt (golf or button-down) without displaying my undershirt, which is my preference (as well as my wife's).

Having lived in Dallas, Austin, and now Houston (again), the visible crew-neck undershirt seems more common in Houston.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 10:37:15 am »

And yes, unless you have enough chest hair to be mistaken for a Wookie, wearing a v-neck usually isn't a problem.

The top buttoned button tickles my chest.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 10:40:37 am »
If you can see chest hair with only the top button open, you can pretty much see it from under a crewneck collar.  If a guy wears his shirt unbuttoned halfway down his chest, that's another matter entirely.

That is true, but it is still less visible.  People with their shirts unbuttoned 1/2way down (outside of sitting a a pool) look tacky.

Personally, I always wear crew, never been a fan of the v-neck, but to each their own on that.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Guinness

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 10:41:14 am »
To me, either/or is fine, but the point is if you have on a dress shirt, wear an undershirt.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 10:44:45 am »
I only wear undershirts with plain-white dress shirts.  V-neck for me.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 10:48:39 am »
I have never thought of a tshirt as "underwear."  I guess technically it is under another piece of clothing, but I always refer to it as an undershirt.  The word underwear, to me, means tighty whities, boxers, briefs, thong, etc...

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 10:56:57 am »

*raiseshandmeekly*
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 11:12:47 am »
I have never thought of a tshirt as "underwear."  I guess technically it is under another piece of clothing, but I always refer to it as an undershirt.  The word underwear, to me, means tighty whities, boxers, briefs, thong, etc...

I always think of the old timey westerns where the fellas were wearing full onesies underneath their clothes. 

Andyzipp

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 11:13:59 am »
The shit Matt has opinions on.I have both crew and v-neck undershirts.  I wear both interchangeably.  It's never caused an issue in my life or the life of any other.

Are we going to start talking about the impropriety of boxer briefs soon?  How about sock garters?

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 11:14:19 am »
Crew neck for me.

Guinness

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 11:14:56 am »
Crew neck for me.

Actually, for me it's "whatever my wife buys me"

Noe

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 11:16:38 am »
+1 on the v-neck.  I can wear any casual shirt (golf or button-down) without displaying my undershirt, which is my preference (as well as my wife's).

Having lived in Dallas, Austin, and now Houston (again), the visible crew-neck undershirt seems more common in Houston.

Bacon neck!

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 11:19:40 am »
What is underwear?
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 11:19:50 am »
The shit Matt has opinions on.I have both crew and v-neck undershirts.  I wear both interchangeably.  It's never caused an issue in my life or the life of any other.

Are we going to start talking about the impropriety of boxer briefs soon?  How about sock garters?

Is there some weird correlation between loving Astros baseball and being unhealthily concerned with what other men* are wearing?  Should we add this to the list of our shared neuroses?

*deliberately excluding our female posters from this neurosis
Grab another Coke and let's die

Noe

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 11:20:33 am »

+1

My wife and I disagree... I hate v-necks, she hates crew necks undershirts (on me). I give in with of course the proper amount of whining on my part about being so damn uncomfortable.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 11:21:22 am »

How about sock garters?

You are probably the only person under 60 who I can imagine wearing sock garters.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 11:22:59 am »

This. This right here.

Christ, you guys must think I'm homeless and using the Internet at the public library. I dress like the Dude without the sense of style. At OD next year I'll upgrade and dress like one of those Krishna guys.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Noe

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 11:26:29 am »

Oddly enough, I played on a team where the entire team was concerned about the uniform propriety. Basically, if I liked wearing high socks and the pants pulled up to the knees, then the fashion police on the team would approach me as we were warming up and ask "You're not serious, are you?"

Made me wear the uni that way just to spite them!

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 11:35:16 am »
The shit Matt has opinions on.

I'm sure his opinion on glasses with no lenses will surprise us all.

Noe

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 11:59:15 am »

My ex-Brother-in-Law did that for a time because he said it made him look sophisticated.  "No lens on the glasses makes you sophisticated? Isn't it the other way around?" *duck*!

roadrunner

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 12:23:08 pm »
V-neck.  Crew neck undershirts under dress shirts is for high schoolers.  Just make sure your chest hair is under control.

Also, I picked this up a couple of years ago.  When wearing a white dress shirt use a grey undershirt so that it doesn't show through.   

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 01:12:44 pm »
My ex-Brother-in-Law did that for a time because he said it made him look sophisticated.  "No lens on the glasses makes you sophisticated? Isn't it the other way around?" *duck*!

So, it took this "look" two years to go from giggly tween and teen girls to the finest fashionistas that big-money NBA stardom can produce.  At that rate, we can expect NBA fashion mavens to be wearing two different colored socks in around 18 months and two different shoes altogether in another 6 months after that.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 01:44:10 pm »
Is there some weird correlation between loving Astros baseball and being unhealthily concerned with what other men* are wearing?  Should we add this to the list of our shared neuroses?

*deliberately excluding our female posters from this neurosis

If you guys don't like the topic, then by all means avoid the conversation. If you want to talk Astros baseball we have a forum for that.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 01:50:38 pm »

Certainly. Having worn glasses most of my life, I object to those who use them to make a fashion statement. Would the use leg braces?  A prosthetic arm?

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2012, 02:12:06 pm »
So, it took this "look" two years to go from giggly tween and teen girls to the finest fashionistas that big-money NBA stardom can produce.  At that rate, we can expect NBA fashion mavens to be wearing two different colored socks in around 18 months and two different shoes altogether in another 6 months after that.

National Two Different Colored Shoes Day
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2012, 09:22:54 am »
Certainly. Having worn glasses most of my life, I object to those who use them to make a fashion statement. Would the use leg braces?  A prosthetic arm?

Yes, I believe they would.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2012, 09:28:02 am »
I wear an undershirt everyday to work. I have both v-neck and crew neck styles. My favorite is which ever one is on top of the stack in the drawer.

drew corleone

• View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2012, 02:08:58 pm »
I only wear undershirts with button-ups (unless I'm doing an occasional button-up with shorts, then it's no undershirt). I have never owned a v-neck undershirt, though I have a ton of v-neck sweaters (I eschew the undershirt if I wear a button-up underneath a v-neck sweater).

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2012, 02:26:13 pm »
(I eschew the undershirt if I wear a button-up underneath a v-neck sweater).

In that case your sweater becomes your undershirt and you're wearing your underwear outside your clothes.  I think I have that right. 

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2012, 03:17:09 pm »
V neck, though if you have a tie on it doesn't matter.

I thought men were to have style while women worried about fashion?

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2012, 03:29:11 pm »
I thought men were to have style while women worried about fashion?

It depends on one's mode.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2012, 04:03:22 pm »
Crewnecks. Hands down. I wear one every day, even under a t-shirt.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2012, 09:57:10 am »

Some wives are informed of their husbands' preferences. It's crewnecks and tighty whities for the men in my house, although the older boy is rebellious by preferring boxers with his crewnecks.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2012, 06:47:10 pm »
Some wives are informed of their husbands' preferences. It's crewnecks and tighty whities for the men in my house, although the older boy is rebellious by preferring boxers with his crewnecks.

Always boxers. Always.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2012, 07:31:38 pm »
Funny, because the two in my house who don't wear 'em think, "Ew, boxers."
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2012, 12:09:53 pm »
The correct answer is: it depends on the shirt.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2012, 12:12:09 pm »
Funny, because the two in my house who don't wear 'em think, "Ew, boxers."

Since the "invention" of boxer briefs, I cannot understand why anyone wears anything else.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 12:23:54 pm »
Since the "invention" of boxer briefs, I cannot understand why anyone wears anything else.

This is also correct.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2012, 01:01:10 pm »

[kramer]I need the space...my boys are out there...I'm free, and I'm LOVIN' IT[/kramer]

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2012, 12:20:06 pm »

This. This right here.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2012, 01:58:56 pm »
V-neck.  Crew neck undershirts under dress shirts is for high schoolers.  Just make sure your chest hair is under control.

Also, I picked this up a couple of years ago.  When wearing a white dress shirt use a grey undershirt so that it doesn't show through.   

My head just exploded. Why wouldn't gray show through?

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2012, 04:13:30 pm »
I'm baffled by this conversation.  Maybe it's because I grew up in a dry Western climate, but I'm not in the habit of undershirts, and only wear them now when it's pretty cold.  What's their purpose, other than insulation?
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2012, 04:14:32 pm »
I'm baffled by this conversation.  Maybe it's because I grew up in a dry Western climate, but I'm not in the habit of undershirts, and only wear them now when it's pretty cold.  What's their purpose, other than insulation?

Sweat, comfort.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2012, 04:17:28 pm »

To better conceal the tattoos.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2012, 04:19:37 pm »
To better conceal the tattoos.

Ah, now I get it. 
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2012, 04:32:10 pm »

If you prefer heavily starched shirts and no undershirt I'm going to look at you differently next time we see each other.  And then I'm going to wonder if you have band-aids over your nipples.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2012, 04:47:48 pm »
If you prefer heavily starched shirts and no undershirt I'm going to look at you differently next time we see each other.  And then I'm going to wonder if you have band-aids over your nipples.

If he doesn't know the purpose of an undershirt, I'm wondering if he goes commando too.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2012, 04:49:38 pm »
If he doesn't know the purpose of an undershirt, I'm wondering if he goes commando too.

Really?  You are really wondering that?
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2012, 04:51:20 pm »

It insulates your body from your outer shirt, wicks moisture away from your skin, and keeps your shirts cleaner so they last longer. It also prevents that awkward see through of your nipples if you're wearing a white or otherwise thin shirt.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2012, 04:53:02 pm »
Really?  You are really wondering that?

Well chicks dig him. I was wondering that or if he just usually wore something unusual.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2012, 05:04:16 pm »

Well chicks dig him. I was wondering that or if he just usually wore something unusual.

I mean, take yesterday for example. We were out at the Olive Garden for dinner, which was lovely. And, uh, I happen to look over at a certain point during the meal and see a waitress taking an order, and I found myself wondering what color her underpants might be. Her panties. Uh, odds are they are probably basic white, cotton, underpants. But I sort of think, well, maybe they're silk panties, maybe it's a thong. Maybe it's something really cool that I don't even know about.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2012, 09:14:01 am »
It insulates your body from your outer shirt, wicks moisture away from your skin, and keeps your shirts cleaner so they last longer. It also prevents that awkward see through of your nipples if you're wearing a white or otherwise thin shirt.

Cotton never wicked anything, and you're making that stuff up about see-through shirts.  I can't ever remember seeing through a dress shirt, of course I can't ever remember looking, either.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2012, 09:15:54 am »

No heavy starch.  Maybe that's the difference, you've turned all your shirts into micro-planes.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2012, 09:19:01 am »
No heavy starch.  Maybe that's the difference, you've turned all your shirts into micro-planes.

I'm always confused by the heavy-starchers.  I had to borrow one of my dad's dress shirts a few years ago and it was like wearing armor.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2012, 09:26:03 am »
I mean, take yesterday for example. We were out at the Olive Garden for dinner, which was lovely. And, uh, I happen to look over at a certain point during the meal and see a waitress taking an order, and I found myself wondering what color her underpants might be. Her panties. Uh, odds are they are probably basic white, cotton, underpants. But I sort of think, well, maybe they're silk panties, maybe it's a thong. Maybe it's something really cool that I don't even know about.

Are we not in the nest?

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2012, 10:50:40 am »

Biz the Diz!   Biz the Diz!  Biz the Diz!
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2012, 10:51:27 am »

Never understood heavy starch.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2012, 11:12:14 am »
I don't like any starch, but still always wear an undershirt.
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2012, 11:12:59 am »
I'm always confused by the heavy-starchers.  I had to borrow one of my dad's dress shirts a few years ago and it was like wearing armor.

Heavy starch is popular with the drugstore cowboys.  They buy shirts three sizes too large, then starch them to where they're like kevlar, and it makes them look like they have a giant chest and huge, body builder arms to go along with their 12-year old girl's waist. 

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2012, 07:31:11 pm »
I don't like any starch, but still always wear an undershirt.

+1

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2018, 01:31:05 pm »

Time marches on. Things change. People evolve.

I now have a more than slight preference for v-neck undershirts.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2018, 03:51:54 pm »
Four pages of discussion concerning a topic on which I have pronounced opinions, opinions I am unafraid to share, yet I contributed silence. I wonder what the hell was going on with me in June of 2012. Maybe we had a day-long power outage. Maybe I was in jail.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2018, 05:10:32 pm »
Four pages of discussion concerning a topic on which I have pronounced opinions, opinions I am unafraid to share, yet I contributed silence. I wonder what the hell was going on with me in June of 2012. Maybe we had a day-long power outage. Maybe I was in jail.

Maybe your shirt was so heavily starched that you couldn’t bend your arms to reach the keyboard. 

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2018, 05:43:39 pm »

Second chances in life are so rare.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2018, 05:50:34 pm »

Crap, I just read four pages of a six year old thread?  Can't help feeling like I have been pranked.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2018, 12:31:47 pm »
Crap, I just read four pages of a six year old thread?  Can't help feeling like I have been pranked.

That’s ok, you’re in Australia.  Six year out of date fashion is all the rage down there.

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2018, 02:03:07 pm »
I've been hoping for far better banter between the pom and the bogan.  So disappointing.
Chevy! Chevy! Astro! Astro!

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2018, 05:34:45 pm »
I've been hoping for far better banter between the pom and the bogan.  So disappointing.

Bogan?  There is no need for name calling son.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2018, 09:44:06 pm »

At least he didn't call you a grommet.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2018, 11:58:30 pm »
At least he didn't call you a grommet.

I'm about 45 years past grommet age... I wonder if we have the same meaning of the word?

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2018, 12:09:27 am »
I'm about 45 years past grommet age...

That was the joke, yo.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2018, 06:46:24 am »
That was the joke, yo.

I'll have a few beers and read it again...

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2018, 11:05:58 am »

It was tongue firmly planted in cheek.  So long as you don't calling  me a seppo...

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2018, 05:56:58 pm »
It was tongue firmly planted in cheek.  So long as you don't calling  me a seppo...

Wait, I know this one. Seppo sounds like Septic because Tank rhymes with Yank, right? Only I thought it was seppie...

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2018, 07:11:56 pm »

The bogan reference was funny but a little surprising, I just hope you're not spending a lot of time watching Bogan Hunters and Fat Pizza. 

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2018, 07:23:41 pm »
Wait, I know this one. Seppo sounds like Septic because Tank rhymes with Yank, right? Only I thought it was seppie...

Seppie would be a new one for me but I firmly believe there are no rules when it comes to name calling.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2018, 09:44:21 pm »
Seppie would be a new one for me but I firmly believe there are no rules when it comes to name calling.

You and the asshole president of America! Yahoo!

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2018, 10:31:04 am »
The bogan reference was funny but a little surprising, I just hope you're not spending a lot of time watching Bogan Hunters and Fat Pizza.

Pom was an easy enough term to come up with (ETA: when I played rugby in Sydney back in 2003, any time I called one of the Brits on the team a limey, none of the Aussies or Kiwis knew what the hell I was talking about).  Trying to think of something for Australians left me with bogan.  Highly doubt you are one, given your literacy rate and support of the Houston Astros.

I haven't seen either Bogan Hunters or Fat Pizza.  However, having worked Harvest in the Hunter Valley, I'm fairly certain I can accurately guess what they're about.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2018, 08:50:17 am »

It's "Seppo" and, yes, it's the contraction of the rhyming slang for "Yank", being "Septic Tank".  We figured you'd be happier (less unhappy?) being called "Seppos" than "Septics".  :)

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2018, 08:52:17 am »
Pom was an easy enough term to come up with (ETA: when I played rugby in Sydney back in 2003, any time I called one of the Brits on the team a limey, none of the Aussies or Kiwis knew what the hell I was talking about).  Trying to think of something for Australians left me with bogan.  Highly doubt you are one, given your literacy rate and support of the Houston Astros.

I haven't seen either Bogan Hunters or Fat Pizza.  However, having worked Harvest in the Hunter Valley, I'm fairly certain I can accurately guess what they're about.

POM and Limey have something in common: they refer to those who left British shores and who now live in the former colonies.  They really should be terms to apply to you (and now me), therefore, not the other way around.

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2018, 10:01:08 am »
It's "Seppo" and, yes, it's the contraction of the rhyming slang for "Yank", being "Septic Tank".  We figured you'd be happier (less unhappy?) being called "Seppos" than "Septics".  :)

The other rationale for seppo, as was happily explained to me by multiple Australian friends, is that like a septic tank we Yanks are often full of shit.

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2018, 10:15:14 am »
POM and Limey have something in common: they refer to those who left British shores and who now live in the former colonies.  They really should be terms to apply to you (and now me), therefore, not the other way around.

Sydney Morning Herald had a fascinating article several years ago regarding the origins of the term "pom."  Most believe it is derived from an acronym for Prisoner Of Mother England.  Except, there is no evidence to support that claim.  The Herald pointed out that acronyms really weren't used in the English language when the term first appeared in the late 19th century.  Yet, there are multiple references to it in print as an abbreviation for pomegranate.  The English complexion, it seems, wasn't entirely suited to the Australian sun.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2018, 10:43:18 am »
The other rationale for seppo, as was happily explained to me by multiple Australian friends, is that like a septic tank we Yanks are often full of shit.

This is a much more elegant and satisfying explanation than the "sounds-like" chain.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2018, 11:18:55 am »

We could've gone with "Shermans" but decided not to for a reason...

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2018, 12:07:20 pm »

Yet their PM is one Scott Morrison. They might want to dial the haughtiness back juuuust a bit.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2018, 09:21:24 pm »

If you played rugby in Sydney (League I am guessing?) you certainly rubbed shoulders with bogan royalty.

Folks my age tend to refer to an unpolished Australians as an 'ocker', bogan is only a fairly recent addition to our vernacular.

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2018, 05:30:00 pm »
If you played rugby in Sydney (League I am guessing?) you certainly rubbed shoulders with bogan royalty.

Folks my age tend to refer to an unpolished Australians as an 'ocker', bogan is only a fairly recent addition to our vernacular.

That's a reasonable assumption regarding rugby league, but I'm actually not a mungo.  I'm a rugby union man and proud alumnus of Eastern Suburbs RFC in Bondi.  I beleve that makes me part of the tweed blazer brigade.

First visited Australia in 1995 after graduating high school.  That may have been when I first heard the term bogan.  I've honestly never heard of ocker.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2018, 05:15:45 am »
That's a reasonable assumption regarding rugby league, but I'm actually not a mungo.  I'm a rugby union man and proud alumnus of Eastern Suburbs RFC in Bondi.  I beleve that makes me part of the tweed blazer brigade.

First visited Australia in 1995 after graduating high school.  That may have been when I first heard the term bogan.  I've honestly never heard of ocker.

I never really like rugby too much, but if I had to play / watch it, I am pretty sure that union would be the code to pick.  How does the expression go - union is a thugs game played by gentlemen, and league is a gentlemens' game played by thugs.  Or something like that...  Useless trivia time, a member of the Canadian national rugby union team played AFL in the national comp for a few years and was pretty decent.  I wondered if he was a real rugby player though, he had a neck.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2018, 07:28:14 am »
I've a good friend here in the States who has played Rugby all his life. He's 60 and plays what they call soft contact hands only rugby. I've always viewed him and his group of rugby friends as being a cult.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2018, 10:02:30 am »
I never really like rugby too much, but if I had to play / watch it, I am pretty sure that union would be the code to pick.  How does the expression go - union is a thugs game played by gentlemen, and league is a gentlemens' game played by thugs.  Or something like that...  Useless trivia time, a member of the Canadian national rugby union team played AFL in the national comp for a few years and was pretty decent.  I wondered if he was a real rugby player though, he had a neck.

The quote I've always heard is "football (American code) is a barbarian sport, played by barbarians.  Rugby is a barbarian sport, played by gentlemen.  Soccer is a gentleman's sport played by barbarians."

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2018, 11:21:33 am »
I always heard/learned that soccer is a gentlemen's game played by hooligans.  Rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen.  Also, soccer may be the beautiful game, but rugby is the game they play in heaven.

Never heard that about American football.

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2018, 11:23:59 am »

As my former coach used to say, "Son, there are two types of people in this world.  Those were born to play the piano, and those were born to carry the piano."

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2018, 11:25:04 am »
I've a good friend here in the States who has played Rugby all his life. He's 60 and plays what they call soft contact hands only rugby. I've always viewed him and his group of rugby friends as being a cult.

That wouldn't be the most inaccurate assessment of us rugby players.  We are a unique group of individuals.