Author Topic: 7/2 Int'l FA misc. - 2012  (Read 10667 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
7/2 Int'l FA misc. - 2012
« on: May 08, 2012, 05:22:52 pm »
BA with a couple of articles today on International Free Agent signings:

Outlining New International Rules For 2012-13; and

Teams Dig For Ways Around New International Rules
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 11:52:27 am by OregonStrosFan »
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
Re: 7/2 Int'l FA misc. - 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 11:52:05 am »
It's about that time again to talk International Free Agent Signings.  What've y'all heard?!?
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

astrosfan76

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 12:38:41 pm »
It's about that time again to talk International Free Agent Signings.  What've y'all heard?!?

Gonna be some shenanigans behind the seasons to sign these guys w/ the new cap, that's what I've heard.  Other than that, nothing really.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 12:54:40 pm »
Gonna be some shenanigans behind the seasons to sign these guys w/ the new cap, that's what I've heard.  Other than that, nothing really.

Yes, shenanigans indeed...

BTW, here are a couple of subscriber only links from Ben Badler at BA:

Nine Players To Watch For July 2 (5/22/12):  LINK

With teams limited to spending $2.9 million each (with a handful of minor exemptions) before penalties kick in, aggregate spending in the international amateur market is expected to drop. While three international amateur free agents signed for at least $3 million last year, the top players in this year's class are unlikely to get anywhere near that mark. There might not even be a player who eclipses $2 million.

Here are the nine names Badler notes:  Franklin Barreto, SS/CF, Venezuela; Luis Torrens, C, Venezuela; Gustavo Cabrera, OF, Dominican Republic; Jose Mujica, RHP, Venezuela; Luis Castro, SS, Venezuela; Alexander Palma, OF, Venezuela; Jose Castillo, LHP, Venezuela; Amed Rosario, SS, Dominican Republic; and Luiz Gohara, LHP, Brazil.  Badler currently doesn't link any of these kids to the Astros.

Ten More Names to Watch for July 2 (5/23/12): LINK

Badler's ten more names to watch are: Wendell Rijo, SS, Dominican Republic; Amaurys Minier, SS, Dominican Republic; Sergio Alcantara, SS, Dominican Republic; David Rodriguez, C, Venezuela; Joshua Lopez, C, Venezuela; Melvin Novoa, C, Nicaragua; Julio de la Cruz, 3B, Dominican Republic; Carlos Belen, 3B, Dominican Republic; Luis Barrera, OF, Dominican Republic; and Gabby Vizcaino, RHP, Dominican Republic.  Of the ten, Badler currently only links 'Sergio Alcantara, SS, Dominican Republic' to the Astros (along with the Mets, Nationals, and Indians).

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 01:01:12 pm »
Speaking of Badler, he tweeted a few minutes ago about a big baseball scandal and to "stay tuned."  I'm guessing that it's something international since I haven't seen anyone else pick up on it.  Maybe Rangers are in trouble over the 16/17-year old they're trying to sign?  Maybe *crosses fingers*...

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 01:05:01 pm »
Speaking of Badler, he tweeted a few minutes ago about a big baseball scandal and to "stay tuned."  I'm guessing that it's something international since I haven't seen anyone else pick up on it.  Maybe Rangers are in trouble over the 16/17-year old they're trying to sign?  Maybe *crosses fingers*...

Hmmm... Could very well be about the stRangers... Color me intrigued!

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 01:10:12 pm »
I know there was a scandal recently about a big-time trainer (in the D.R.?) being arrested on trafficking charges, but they were dropped.  Could be fallout from that, or something similar.  But, I'll hope for something less harmful and the thought of MLB punishing Nolan sure brightens my day.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 01:29:41 pm »
I know there was a scandal recently about a big-time trainer (in the D.R.?) being arrested on trafficking charges, but they were dropped.  Could be fallout from that, or something similar.  But, I'll hope for something less harmful and the thought of MLB punishing Nolan sure brightens my day.

Alas, neither... Badler LINK

A son of Enrique Soto, one of the most powerful trainers in the Dominican Republic over the last two decades, used a false age when he signed with the Mariners in 2007, according to multiple sources familiar with the case.

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 01:34:01 pm »
Alas, neither... Badler LINK

A son of Enrique Soto, one of the most powerful trainers in the Dominican Republic over the last two decades, used a false age when he signed with the Mariners in 2007, according to multiple sources familiar with the case.

Well, the contract still hasn't been approved, so there's hope.  I halfway wonder if it will be decided before 7/2 at this point. 

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 03:13:20 pm »
BA Badler's 7/2 notebook notes the Astros showing interest in VEN SS Kristian Trompiz (LINK):

• Venezuelan shortstop Kristian Trompiz wasn't one of the big names at the MLB showcase in the Dominican Republic in February, but he flourished in games there, going 3-for-3 with three walks and a stolen base. A 16-year-old from Maracaibo who trains with Emiro Barboza, Trompiz is 6-foot-1, 160 pounds and doesn't have any spectacular tools, but he should be able to command a low to mid six-figure bonus. Scouts have some concerns about his bat speed from the right side, but he's shown he can work the count with a solid approach and hitting instincts. He's around an average runner and a solid fielder, though his 45 arm may fit better at second base. The Astros, who signed Venezuelan shortstop Arturo Michelena last year from Barboza, are believed to be showing interest in Trompiz.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 01:20:12 pm by OregonStrosFan »

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 12:15:15 am »
Badler's 7/2 Notebook from this afternoon has the Astros linked to Dominican catcher Deivi Grullon (LINK):

Another Latin American catcher drawing attention is [16-year-old, 5-foot-11, 175 pounds] Deivi Grullon.  Grullon, is a good defensive catcher with a strong, accurate arm that [grades out at] 55-60 from scouts. He moves well behind the plate, has good hands and frames pitches well, so he has a chance to be an above-average defender. [His] approach at the plate is solid and he shows some patience with gap power, but his swing does get long and his bat is the question mark for several scouts. Grullon has ... been tied to the Tigers, Astros, Rangers and Athletics.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 01:19:56 pm by OregonStrosFan »

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 01:23:50 pm »
The 6/27 entry of BA Badler's 7/2 notebook has the Astros linked to Dominican shortstop Amed Rosario (BA LINK):

Amed Rosario...generates a wide range of opinions, but he has a chance to be the highest-paid player in the Dominican Republic this year... Rosario's father is an attorney and his mother has a cousin who is married to Rafael Espinal, a scout for the Brewers. Rosario is probably out of Milwaukee's price range, and while the Astros, Cubs and White Sox have been mentioned as potential suitors, it's the Mets who come up most often in connection with Rosario.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 06:52:49 pm »
The 6/28 entry of BA Badler's 7/2 notebook has the Astros linked to Dominican shortstop Frandy de la Rosa (BA LINK):

• There are players with louder tools than Dominican shortstop Frandy de la Rosa, but he will draw interest for his short, simple swing from both sides of the plate. De la Rosa [Dominican Prospect League], has shown quick hands at the plate and feel for hitting with gap power from his 6-foot-1, 180-pound frame. De la Rosa isn't much of a runner and his arm is probably a little light for shortstop, so he could be an offensive-oriented second baseman if everything clicks. The Astros, White Sox and Cubs are among the teams who have been mentioned as potential suitors.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 05:10:40 pm »
BA ranks the Top 20 July 2 prospects: "our rankings are an attempt to capture the scouting consensus of the industry—to the degree that it exists"

1. Franklin Barreto, ss/cf, Venezuela
2. Luis Torrens, c, Venezuela (video)
3. Jose Mujica, rhp, Venezuela (video)
4. Alexander Palma, of, Venezuela (video)
5. Gustavo Cabrera, of, Dominican Republic (video)
6. Jose Castillo, lhp, Venezuela (video)
7. Luiz Gohara, lhp, Brazil
8. Carlos Belen, 3b, Dominican Republic (video)
9. Luis Castro, ss, Venezuela
10. Wendell Rijo, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
11. Amed Rosario, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
12. Amaurys Minier, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
13. Richard Urena, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
14. David Rodriguez, c, Venezuela (video)
15. Deivi Grullon, c, Dominican Republic (video)
16. Julio de la Cruz, 3b, Dominican Republic (video)
17. Jose Almonte, rhp, Dominican Republic
18. Sergio Alcantara, ss, Dominican Republic
19. Frandy de la Rosa, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
20. Jose Pujols, of, Dominican Republic (video)
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 07:12:34 pm »
Enrique Rojas from ESPN is tweeting that the Mets are supposed to sign Rosario for a bonus of about $1.7M.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 05:55:19 pm »
Enrique Rojas from ESPN is tweeting that the Mets are supposed to sign Rosario for a bonus of about $1.7M.

Badler generally echoing this in his 'Projected Destinations For Top 20 International Prospects' article from today (BA sub req'd LINK): The Astros were mentioned as having interest at one point, but some think the Mets may be bidding against themselves. Projected Team: METS.

The Astros aren't listed as a destination for any of the listed 'International Top 20', with "15. DEIVI GRULLON, C" (DR) projected to the Phillies and "19. FRANDY DE LA ROSA, SS" (DR) projected to the Cubs.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:57:06 pm by OregonStrosFan »

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 05:56:40 pm »
And yes... tomorrow (Monday) is in fact 7/2.  Watching 7/2 signings play out is often akin to watching paint dry... but... I'd imagine the Astros will be mentioned here and again tomorrow...

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 06:59:52 pm »
Misc from BA Badler's 7/1 "Team By Team International Forecast" (BA sub req'd LINK):

...[Some believe] the Astros are fond of Venezuelan shortstop Kristian Trompiz, [who] should only cost a low six-figure bonus ..., so the Astros may be able to make more aggressive deals if they see the right fit.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 09:10:34 am »
I figured we could update this list as players are signed. These 4 so far are per BA.

1. *signed, Blue Jays* Franklin Barreto, ss/cf, Venezuela
2. Luis Torrens, c, Venezuela (video)
3. Jose Mujica, rhp, Venezuela (video)
4. Alexander Palma, of, Venezuela (video)
5. Gustavo Cabrera, of, Dominican Republic (video)
6. Jose Castillo, lhp, Venezuela (video)
7. Luiz Gohara, lhp, Brazil
8. Carlos Belen, 3b, Dominican Republic (video)
9. *signed, Blue Jays* Luis Castro, ss, Venezuela
10. Wendell Rijo, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
11. Amed Rosario, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
12. Amaurys Minier, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
13. Richard Urena, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
14. David Rodriguez, c, Venezuela (video)
15. Deivi Grullon, c, Dominican Republic (video)
16. Julio de la Cruz, 3b, Dominican Republic (video)
17. *signed, Red Sox* Jose Almonte, rhp, Dominican Republic
18. Sergio Alcantara, ss, Dominican Republic
19. Frandy de la Rosa, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
20. *signed, Phillies* Jose Pujols, of, Dominican Republic (video)
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 09:45:06 am »
Huh, I haven't followed this closely, but I just assumed that with the limited signing budget, one team wouldn't be signing two off this list, much less #1 and #9.  I do remember people expecting some under-the-table shit with the international draft.  Could it already be going on?   

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 10:21:42 am »
Huh, I haven't followed this closely, but I just assumed that with the limited signing budget, one team wouldn't be signing two off this list, much less #1 and #9.  I do remember people expecting some under-the-table shit with the international draft.  Could it already be going on.

Very different penalties - mainly monetary, no real 'bite' as to future signings (maximum per player signing amounts in later years not really that prohibitive...).  See BA LINK at beginning of thred.

Every team has a $2.9 million signing bonus pool for the 2012-13 signing period. Any team that spends more than $2.9 million will be subject to a variety of penalties:

• Teams that go 0-5 percent over will pay a 75 percent tax on the overage.
• Teams that go 5-10 percent over will pay the 75 percent tax on the overage and won't be able to sign any player for a bonus of more than $500,000 in the 2013-14 signing period.
• Teams that go 10-15 percent over will pay a 100 percent tax on the overage and won't be able to sign any player for a bonus of more than $500,000 in the 2013-14 signing period.
• Teams that go 15 percent or more over will pay a 100 percent tax on the overage and won't be able to sign any player for a bonus of more than $250,000 in the 2013-14 signing period.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 11:18:23 am »
Huh, I haven't followed this closely, but I just assumed that with the limited signing budget, one team wouldn't be signing two off this list, much less #1 and #9.  I do remember people expecting some under-the-table shit with the international draft.  Could it already be going on?   
Pundits were guesstimating Barreto for about $2mil, so perhaps they got Castro for around $900k. Either way, they're probably essentially done. BA's predictions about where the Top 20 guys would sign (which so far have been almost perfect) actually had the Yankees getting the #2, 4, and 10 guys somehow. Sigh. I look forward to 2013-on, when teams' budgets will be weighted based on the previous year's standings (ie. worst record gets the most to spend), instead of everyone being even like this year (fuck you, Bud).

BA now has a convenient Top 20 signing tracker up, so I won't keep re-posting that list.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 01:07:19 pm »
If I'm to trust that Astros County properly translated Spanish to English, it'd appear that the Astros Venezuelan SS Kristian Trompiz signed for $300,000.

From Enrique Rojas (via Twitter): #FIRMASJULIO2‬ SS venezolano Kristian Trompiz acuerda con ‪#Astros‬ por un poco más de $300,000

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 05:43:05 pm »
Astros sign outfielder Luis Payano, shortstop Kristian Trompiz and catcher Victor Tavarez:

“Payano is a high-energy player and can be a five-tool player in center field,” Francisco said. “He has the ingredients to become a complete player.”

“We have scouted Tavarez for some time and feel he has developed quickly in recent months,” Francisco said. “He’s a good receiver who can throw well and his bat continues to impress our scouts.

“Trompiz is a plus defender who can play shortstop,” Francisco said. “He has good instincts to play the game and is advanced for his age. He also has the ability to make consistent contact and will improve as he gets stronger.

http://brianmctaggart.mlblogs.com/

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 06:09:07 pm »
Astros sign an Aussie.

“Connor (McDonald) is a young, developing baseball player who has a lot of projectable tools and especially a very strong bat. His father Ken played in the old ABL with the Brisbane Bandits and was a decent sized player and we believe Connor will grow to at least that size” explained Greg Morriss, Australian International Scout for the Houston Astros.

http://thebaseballdigest.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/houston-astros-sign-queenslander-connor-macdonald/

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Always ready to go to a game.

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 11:18:12 am »
Astros sign a 17-year old lefty, Junior Garcia, out of the D.R.

Garcia, who trained with Ramon Genao (known as "Papiro"), played in a few different events run by Major League Baseball. At 6-foot-1, 175 pounds, Garcia is a strike-thrower who has seen his fastball climb from 83-85 mph to 86-88 mph as he's gained weight. He stands out for his pitchability, mixes in a curveball that has a chance to be an average to solid-average pitch as well as an occasional changeup.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/12/astros-sign-dominican-lefty-junior-garcia/

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 12:04:04 pm »
There have been two other low level prospect signings announced in the last week:

Oliver Toribio - catcher - terms undisclosed

Joselo Pinales - RHP - $70,000
Always ready to go to a game.