Author Topic: No Cable  (Read 19678 times)

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
No Cable
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:52:22 pm »
I'm starting to consider dropping cable service altogether, but my only real hangup is:
Can I watch Astros games online if I live in Houston?  Is there some sort of blackout restriction?
The Texans are on CBS usually (I guess I'd lose a MNF game every week, which would suck), and I could watch Longhorn games at friends' houses - but as shitty as the Astros are (They're Still Shitty), I need to be able to watch baseball.  Any ideas?

Also - Hulu Plus or the Amazon thingy or Netflix for TV?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: No Cable
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 10:05:37 pm »
You cannot watch astros games online if you live in Texas or LA (without resorting to chicanery at least)
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:07:45 pm »
You cannot watch astros games online if you live in Texas or LA (without resorting to chicanery at least)

Shit.  Chicanery like fooling MLBTV to think you're in Panama the whole time?

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:09:56 pm »
You could do that but you'd have to have an inside man in Panama, and where the fuck are you going to get that.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 11:11:45 pm »
You can definitely subscribe to a commercial service that obfuscates your location. I don't know how it works if you're in the US and want to pretend like you're somewhere else as my experience is seeking the reverse of that but I do know there are plenty of options out there.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 07:45:22 am »
You can definitely subscribe to a commercial service that obfuscates your location. I don't know how it works if you're in the US and want to pretend like you're somewhere else as my experience is seeking the reverse of that but I do know there are plenty of options out there.

I tried it with limited success.  I could never get a fast enough connection.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 08:06:56 am »

So signing up for mlb tv through the apple tv box doesn't give me astros games.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 08:38:15 am »
So signing up for mlb tv through the apple tv box doesn't give me astros games.

It does if you get FS-H.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 09:09:06 am »
It does if you get FS-H.

How does that work?  Does MLB.TV not black out Astros games if you subscribe to cable?

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 09:10:41 am »

Which services did you try? Hidemyass.com is popular here but I've never used it.
Y todo lo que sube baja

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 09:15:45 am »
Which services did you try? Hidemyass.com is popular here but I've never used it.

I thought that was a site for Extreme Pin The Tail On The Donkey.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 09:19:15 am »
How does that work?  Does MLB.TV not black out Astros games if you subscribe to cable?

I live in Austin, and have Time Warner.  MLB.TV blocked out Astros games.

If one could directly purchase FS-H, that would be pretty cool, and seem to be a viable way around the blackout.  Viable in that no party can claim they are getting screwed.  FS-H gets their money and can't say their rights to braodcast games are being devalued.  I don't see what is wrong with it conceptually, but I am probably missing something obvious.  

Trey

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 09:26:25 am »
I'm starting to consider dropping cable service altogether, but my only real hangup is:
Can I watch Astros games online if I live in Houston?  Is there some sort of blackout restriction?
The Texans are on CBS usually (I guess I'd lose a MNF game every week, which would suck), and I could watch Longhorn games at friends' houses - but as shitty as the Astros are (They're Still Shitty), I need to be able to watch baseball.  Any ideas?

Also - Hulu Plus or the Amazon thingy or Netflix for TV?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

Hulu is nice for watching shows that are on cable (the ones that are on hulu, anyway).  Check for the shows/networks you're planning to watch.  Many have delays (some as much as a month) between when they air, and when they're on hulu.  Also, several shows are not available for streaming on anything other than a computer, so Hulu Plus may not do you much good.

I use netflix streaming and really enjoy it.  It's not very good for watching current TV seasons, but lots of older seasons of TV shows (including AMC and some FX shows) are available.
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 09:34:26 am »
Remember this is the last year of Astros on FS-H. Next year I predict it will be really difficult to get the games if you are not in Houston.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 09:42:57 am »

I was being facetious.  No matter what other service Neil has, as long as he gets FSN-H on regular cable he can see the games.   

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 09:51:57 am »
I was being facetious.  No matter what other service Neil has, as long as he gets FSN-H on regular cable he can see the games.   

The only reasons I still take cable are Doc Martin, Modern Family, the Travel Channel, and the Astros, with the Astros being first.  I suspect that the others are probably available over the internet.

By the way, I was listening to DoRay last week and it suddenly occurred to me that they were doing a good job of telling me what was going on.  Has anyone else had that experience, or was I hallucinating?
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 09:54:00 am »
The only reasons I still take cable are Doc Martin, Modern Family, the Travel Channel, and the Astros, with the Astros being first.  I suspect that the others are probably available over the internet.

By the way, I was listening to DoRay last week and it suddenly occurred to me that they were doing a good job of telling me what was going on.  Has anyone else had that experience, or was I hallucinating?

Contract year for DoRay?  Luhnow is gonna trade them to Kansas City.
Grab another Coke and let's die

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 10:06:19 am »
Remember this is the last year of Astros on FS-H. Next year I predict it will be really difficult to get the games if you are not in Houston.

I agree, and there is no way to get the games, even if you were willing to pay them.  What kind of fucked up industry won't sell you their product? 

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 10:08:49 am »
I agree, and there is no way to get the games, even if you were willing to pay them.  What kind of fucked up industry won't sell you their product? 

Well, last night, United Airlines.
Y todo lo que sube baja

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 01:07:45 pm »

Another Drayton deal. Supposedly got a better deal forming his own network with the Rockets. Well, the Rangers got an awfully sweet deal from FOX Sports that they're using to sign their top players to long-term deals. I don't know if the Astros will do better with their own network but I am pretty sure I won't be seeing their games next year in north Texas. I have DirectTV and do get FS Houston. But if the Longhorn Network can't get clearance on DirectTV or most cable channels I can't see where the Rockets/Astros have much of a prayer. Will they be available on the baseball season pass deal or blacked out?

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 02:18:24 pm »

You'll get to see a lot if you live in Seattle, Oakland or Anaheim.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 02:20:29 pm »
Another Drayton deal. Supposedly got a better deal forming his own network with the Rockets. Well, the Rangers got an awfully sweet deal from FOX Sports that they're using to sign their top players to long-term deals. I don't know if the Astros will do better with their own network but I am pretty sure I won't be seeing their games next year in north Texas. I have DirectTV and do get FS Houston. But if the Longhorn Network can't get clearance on DirectTV or most cable channels I can't see where the Rockets/Astros have much of a prayer. Will they be available on the baseball season pass deal or blacked out?

I hope Crane invested his $70mm in Apple stock, because the bleeding of revenue from this franchise will be arterial.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

strosrays

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 10:15:27 pm »
Crane was in the booth for part of the broadcast the other day - I had hoped that kind of bullshit left town when McLane did, but apparently not.  Anyway, he made some comment to the effect that the new TV deal kicks in next year, so they'll have plenty of money to throw around at free agents, etc.

Goddamn it.

And, I freely admit to not understanding complicated economics, but how does the worst fucking team in MLB in almost every aspect get rich off of a TV deal?

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 09:22:00 am »
Crane was in the booth for part of the broadcast the other day - I had hoped that kind of bullshit left town when McLane did, but apparently not.  Anyway, he made some comment to the effect that the new TV deal kicks in next year, so they'll have plenty of money to throw around at free agents, etc.

Goddamn it.

And, I freely admit to not understanding complicated economics, but how does the worst fucking team in MLB in almost every aspect get rich off of a TV deal?

Do we know if TimeWarner is paying them  for carriage or do the Astros/Rockets assume all risks?

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 09:46:03 am »

Goddamn it.

A TV deal that involves broadcasting the worst team in baseball, playing west coast teams no one gives a shit about, at midnight.

I can see the ad dollars rolling in for that!

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 09:53:09 am »
A TV deal that involves broadcasting the worst team in baseball, playing west coast teams no one gives a shit about, at midnight.

I can see the ad dollars rolling in for that!

Flash mob - 12:30.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 10:11:02 am »

Goddamn it.

Most profitable clubs in last year according to Forbes: Indians, Royals, Cubs.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 10:21:12 am »
Maybe it is out there, but I haven't seen an informative article on the Rockets/Astros network.  I hear how the Astros will have more money when it unrolls, but I am having trouble understanding how.  I assume it is alot like the Longhorn Network, but with way less interest.  Which cable providers are going to pay much for that network?  I assume even if you live in Houston, and don't have Comcast, you might be SOL next year.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 10:35:46 am »
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 10:52:08 am »
It could just be a percentage deal. Would you rather have 1% of $10,000,000, or 15% of $1,000,000?
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 10:54:54 am »
It could just be a percentage deal. Would you rather have 1% of $10,000,000, or 15% of $1,000,000?

1% of $10,000,000 = $100,000

15% of $1,000,000 = $150,000.

I'll take option B!

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 11:03:06 am »
1% of $10,000,000 = $100,000

15% of $1,000,000 = $150,000.

I'll take option B!

That's what I was saying. FSN might generate more gross revenue, but give the Astros a lower percentage than what their own network would give them. Even though the gross revenue might be less, they are planning to keep a larger portion of the revenue and predict it will be more than what FSN would pay.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 11:28:33 am »
That's what I was saying. FSN might generate more gross revenue, but give the Astros a lower percentage than what their own network would give them. Even though the gross revenue might be less, they are planning to keep a larger portion of the revenue and predict it will be more than what FSN would pay.

Can I buy it over the computer?

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 11:29:14 am »

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 11:32:22 am »

I'm sure this correct, I just don't get how they estimate what their gross revenue will be without having deals clearly lined up.

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 11:43:39 am »
Maybe it is out there, but I haven't seen an informative article on the Rockets/Astros network.  I hear how the Astros will have more money when it unrolls, but I am having trouble understanding how.  I assume it is alot like the Longhorn Network, but with way less interest.  Which cable providers are going to pay much for that network?  I assume even if you live in Houston, and don't have Comcast, you might be SOL next year.

I don't have DirectTV, but have looked into subscribing.  They currently carry FSSW in most of their packages and several Comcast sports stations in their premium package.  Which packages will have access to the new network isn't clear, but at least there's hope.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 06:12:09 pm »
Well, the Rangers got an awfully sweet deal from FOX Sports that they're using to sign their top players to long-term deals.

And yet, the Rangers are forced to sell $26 hotdogs for more revenue.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 06:45:10 pm »

Soon to be know as the Darvish Dog?

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2012, 02:36:43 pm »
The only reasons I still take cable are Doc Martin, Modern Family, the Travel Channel, and the Astros, with the Astros being first.  I suspect that the others are probably available over the internet.

So, now that I don't care to watch the Astros, I have been doing some research.  Prompted by the lack of capacity/features on Comcast's DVR, and by the appearance of U-Verse internet as an option (still no TV option yet), I started looking into what we watch and where else it's available.

At this point, for a fraction of the price of my Comcast subscription (netting out the internet fee), I can get everything we watch either over the air or from iTunes.  The only thing "we" lose is Premier League soccer, which moves to NBC next season anyway.

I see no reason not to ditch cable, get U-Verse internet and a set of rabbit ears attached to a TV dongle for my Mac.  I can even get Hulu+ on my Apple TV.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2012, 04:24:16 pm »
I see no reason not to ditch cable, get U-Verse internet and a set of rabbit ears attached to a TV dongle for my Mac.  I can even get Hulu+ on my Apple TV.

You are one step closer to getting off the grid completely.  Pretty soon you'll be in Unabomber territory.

Guinness

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2012, 04:37:15 pm »

AppleTV sucks rocks compared to Roku tho.  Way more choice on Roku.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2012, 04:42:25 pm »
AppleTV sucks rocks compared to Roku tho.  Way more choice on Roku.

I believe so.  I just prefer the ease of use / interface of an Apple TV, and how it integrates with my entire techno-system.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2012, 04:43:09 pm »
You are one step closer to getting off the grid completely.  Pretty soon you'll be in Unabomber territory.

Staying connected.  Just not going to pay for shit I don't want or like.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2012, 09:55:53 am »

Champion dog?!? I bet Drayton is kicking himself about now for not thinking of that first...  On the bright side for Lynn Nolan, it may well be the only chance he'll've had to be around a Champion in this lifetime (or since he was a rookie, which was a couple of lifetimes ago... even if measured in JimR years...). 

[Sorry Coach, just couldn't 'not' go there... (Yes, I realize the double-negative there.  What can I say, it is a 'talent'.  In fact, I once successfully pulled off a triple-negative in a deposition)(And yes, to answer your next question it is perfectly obvious to me why I have no friends...).]
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2012, 10:07:29 am »
did you say something, OSF?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2012, 10:12:25 am »
In fact, I once successfully pulled off a triple-negative in a deposition

"Ain't nobody can't tell me nothin'" - Vince Young
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2012, 10:21:32 am »
Speaking of Rangers encroachment into traditional Astros territory, they are looking at the possibility of a couple of exhibition games at the aLamodome.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2012, 10:30:39 am »

Hey Limey, when I was trying to get my Mac Mini-powered home media setup off the ground I was looking into the EyeTV USB tuners but decided to get an HDHomeRun instead.  You plug an antenna into it and then plug it into your network, and any computer on your network with PVR capabilities can see two tuners as if they were physically installed in that computer.  It works astoundingly well over a wired connection, although it is choppy when viewing over wifi.

I copped out and put Windows 7 on my Mac Mini (didn't want to pay extra for PVR software when Windows has it built-in) so I can't comment on how well it works on a Mac, but it has worked really well for me.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2012, 11:32:38 am »
Hey Limey, when I was trying to get my Mac Mini-powered home media setup off the ground I was looking into the EyeTV USB tuners but decided to get an HDHomeRun instead.  You plug an antenna into it and then plug it into your network, and any computer on your network with PVR capabilities can see two tuners as if they were physically installed in that computer.  It works astoundingly well over a wired connection, although it is choppy when viewing over wifi.

I copped out and put Windows 7 on my Mac Mini (didn't want to pay extra for PVR software when Windows has it built-in) so I can't comment on how well it works on a Mac, but it has worked really well for me.

Appreciate the heads up.  I'm actually now thinking that have the ability to record OTA content is not necessary, as I will have Hulu+ and/or iTunes to provide TV content - so I will only need rabbit ears to watch live TV, which I do very rarely (basically the Texans, which is often not done at home).

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2013, 02:40:18 pm »

So, to update...

I have just re-upped with Comcast for another 2 years.  Ignoring the extra shit/discount I get for the 2-year contract, the reason is pretty simple: Comcast's DVR doesn't suck arse any more.

I just got the new X1 package and, I have to say, it's pretty good.  The interface is slick, and light years from the clunky, blurry, ad-infested system of old.  Searches (which can be initiated from an iPhone app) look at the DVR, TV Guide and On Demand listings, to give you all available options for a show.  It can record 4 channels at once and automatically records the HD feed if there is one.  Soon (they say), they will activate the "any room" capability, allowing playback on any cable box in the house.

The X1 package requires that you get the "triple play" of phone, TV and internet.  But, the internet is the x2 version of their already fast connection and the TV comes with all the sports packages and some premium channels (HBO and Showtime at least).  The phone isn't something we need, but Mrs Limey can use it to run a fax machine at home for her real estate biz (some agents still use fax, which makes me laugh).

I will be moving soon, and the new place is in the same boat as I am currently:  Comcast cable and no U-Verse TV option.  Seemed like a no-brainer to get this done now.  Just thought I'd give credit where credit was due.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2013, 02:57:24 pm »
Remind me why you keep resisting DirecTV?
  -  Orson Welles

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2013, 03:00:38 pm »
Does Comcast have wireless boxes yet?  I'm close to acquiescing to my strong desire to watch subpar baseball

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2013, 03:04:39 pm »
Remind me why you keep resisting DirecTV?

Hate dishes - aesthetically and operationally*.

* You can tell me until you're blue in the face that your dish functions just fine in bad weather.  I have never seen one that doesn't crap out when it gets heavy outside.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2013, 03:05:24 pm »
Does Comcast have wireless boxes yet?  I'm close to acquiescing to my strong desire to watch subpar baseball

Not that I am aware.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2013, 03:26:15 pm »
* You can tell me until you're blue in the face that your dish functions just fine in bad weather.  I have never seen one that doesn't crap out when it gets heavy outside.

It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2013, 03:56:25 pm »
when i lived o n a hill in louisiana and had no neighbors and nothing but pine trees my dish always functioned
forever is composed entirely of nows

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2013, 04:01:59 pm »
It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.

I have heard this argument before too.  However, it doesn't negate the aesthetics argument.  I'm going to be in a loft, and don't want my palatial view spoiled by a dish strapped to the balcony rail.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2013, 04:05:02 pm »
I have heard this argument before too.  However, it doesn't negate the aesthetics argument.  I'm going to be in a loft, and don't want my palatial view spoiled by a dish strapped to the balcony rail.

I also understand that adjusting the dish in the middle of a lightning storm can play hell with your ability to spell.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2013, 04:31:47 pm »
I also understand that adjusting the dish in the middle of a lightning storm can play hell with your ability to spell.

What was misspelled?

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2013, 04:39:55 pm »
What was misspelled?

Nothing in yours.  I guess I should have quoted Fredia.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2013, 04:44:31 pm »

Not even if Community Sponsors were willing to provide significant financial support?!?
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2013, 05:14:14 pm »

If you want to make an aesthetic argument against, OK.  Everyone has their own ideas on decor and what they're willing to sacrifice aesthetically for convenience and/or functionality.  I once knew someone who argued an indoor toilet was not only aesthetically unappealing, but a waste of space.  But your functionality argument is a bit dated.  It's kind of like arguing against having an internet connection because of the problems with dial-up.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2013, 05:33:25 pm »
If you want to make an aesthetic argument against, OK.  Everyone has their own ideas on decor and what they're willing to sacrifice aesthetically for convenience and/or functionality.  I once knew someone who argued an indoor toilet was not only aesthetically unappealing, but a waste of space.  But your functionality argument is a bit dated.  It's kind of like arguing against having an internet connection because of the problems with dial-up.

I think his real problem is that putting the dish on the balcony will interfere with where he plans to hang the laundry.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2013, 10:45:58 am »

Ultimately, the issue of the aesthetics of the dish is rendered moot by:

1)  Comcast bringing their DVR into the 21st century; and

2)  Crystal Palace winning promotion to the Premier League and thus being available on less obscure channels (for next season at least).

Once this happened, I was able to make a comfortable decision to re-up with Comcast.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2013, 10:50:04 am »
I think his real problem is that putting the dish on the balcony will interfere with where he plans to hang the laundry.

Laundry?

T. J.

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2013, 11:01:50 am »
So, to update...

I have just re-upped with Comcast for another 2 years.  Ignoring the extra shit/discount I get for the 2-year contract....

Can you elaborate on the "extra shit/discount" you got?  I've been an unhappy Comcast customer for years and never knew I could get extras/discounts if I put myself under contract.

Oh, and this article says that any customers can get the new DVR setup just by asking.  The "triple play" customers just get it automatically.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2013, 11:15:06 am »
Can you elaborate on the "extra shit/discount" you got?  I've been an unhappy Comcast customer for years and never knew I could get extras/discounts if I put myself under contract.

Oh, and this article says that any customers can get the new DVR setup just by asking.  The "triple play" customers just get it automatically.

I had the extended cable package, but not the sports package and no premium channels.  By signing up for 2 years, I got all the sports package, HBO, Showtime and Encore (at least), a phone line (which I don't use) all for a few bucks less than I was paying before.  It goes up by $20 in the 2nd year, and to full, arse-reaming, price after that.  By then, I hope to have options with which to beat them up, but I'll dump all the premium stuff for sure.

As for avoiding the triple play, I got differing answers on that.  Some said I could just upgrade the existing service, others said I needed the whole shebang.  However, at every turn, whenever anyone said that I could just upgrade, they ran into the triple play mandate before they could process my order.  Essentially, Comcast has upgraded its equipment, but not its phone support staff.

ETA:  The article doesn't say that existing, non-triple play, customers don't have to get the triple play package.  It just says that non-triple play customers have to ask for the upgrade (at which point, like me, they're told they have to have triple play to get it).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:19:31 am by Limey »

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2013, 11:41:23 am »
I had the extended cable package

They have pills for that now.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2013, 02:08:32 pm »
They have pills for that now.

I thought extended cable was something you lay after a Tex-mex meal.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2013, 03:20:08 pm »
I thought extended cable was something you lay after a Tex-mex meal.

Better than crop spraying.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2013, 03:51:23 pm »
does crop spraying mess up dish

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2013, 03:52:41 pm »
does crop spraying mess up dish

Just the porcelain kind.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2013, 01:10:03 pm »
I had the extended cable package, but not the sports package and no premium channels.  By signing up for 2 years, I got all the sports package, HBO, Showtime and Encore (at least), a phone line (which I don't use) all for a few bucks less than I was paying before.  It goes up by $20 in the 2nd year, and to full, arse-reaming, price after that.  By then, I hope to have options with which to beat them up, but I'll dump all the premium stuff for sure.

As for avoiding the triple play, I got differing answers on that.  Some said I could just upgrade the existing service, others said I needed the whole shebang.  However, at every turn, whenever anyone said that I could just upgrade, they ran into the triple play mandate before they could process my order.  Essentially, Comcast has upgraded its equipment, but not its phone support staff.

ETA:  The article doesn't say that existing, non-triple play, customers don't have to get the triple play package.  It just says that non-triple play customers have to ask for the upgrade (at which point, like me, they're told they have to have triple play to get it).

Another benefit is the network of 150,000 WiFi hotspots around the country that are free to Comcast customers.  Typically, they are very fast, authentication is seamless after first sign on across the partner networks (Comcast/Time Warner/Cox etc...

http://www.comcast.com/wifi/default.htm?SCRedirect=true

They just announced that neighborhoods will light up with their new neighborhood WiFi initiative:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57588325-94/comcast-expands-wi-fi-network-with-new-neighborhood-initiative/
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2014, 09:57:37 am »
I just got the new X1 package and, I have to say, it's pretty good.  The interface is slick, and light years from the clunky, blurry, ad-infested system of old.  Searches (which can be initiated from an iPhone app) look at the DVR, TV Guide and On Demand listings, to give you all available options for a show.  It can record 4 channels at once and automatically records the HD feed if there is one.  Soon (they say), they will activate the "any room" capability, allowing playback on any cable box in the house.

Well the irony of this is not going to be lost on anyone, especially me.  Apparently due to the inclement weather, my X1 service has been crapping out regularly of late.  The freezes are playing havoc with their infrastructure, allegedly.  So, what's happening is that the internet service is slowing to a snail's pace at best, or just disappearing completely.  This not only whacks our internet but, because the X1 boxes rely on the internet connection to function, it takes out the TV as well.  Genius!

It's gone out this way three times in the last month.  Currently, it's been down since Monday and they cannot fix it from their end, so we are waiting for a tech to come out on Saturday to take a look.  What a joke.

Meanwhile, U-Verse is now available in my building...

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2014, 10:07:32 am »

Well the irony of this is not going to be lost on anyone, especially me.  Apparently due to the inclement weather, my X1 service has been crapping out regularly of late.  The freezes are playing havoc with their infrastructure, allegedly.  So, what's happening is that the internet service is slowing to a snail's pace at best, or just disappearing completely.  This not only whacks our internet but, because the X1 boxes rely on the internet connection to function, it takes out the TV as well.  Genius!

It's gone out this way three times in the last month.  Currently, it's been down since Monday and they cannot fix it from their end, so we are waiting for a tech to come out on Saturday to take a look.  What a joke.

Meanwhile, U-Verse is now available in my building...

Stop me if you've hear this before, but....DirecTV is available in your area too.

Not a single loss of signal in...oh I don't know, but it's been years.  I'll admit, I have U-Verse internet, and no problems with that either.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2014, 10:17:23 am »
Stop me if you've hear this before, but....DirecTV is available in your area too.

Not a single loss of signal in...oh I don't know, but it's been years.  I'll admit, I have U-Verse internet, and no problems with that either.

Still don't want to put a dish on my balcony.  Mrs Limey had U-Verse before we moved in together, and she had no problems with it either.  I've now got to figure out what my penalty is for breaking my 2-year contract.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2014, 10:19:46 am »

Still don't want to put a dish on my balcony.  Mrs Limey had U-Verse before we moved in together, and she had no problems with it either.  I've now got to figure out what my penalty is for breaking my 2-year contract.

If they can't deliver your service, there should be no penalty for cancelling the contract.  It's a prior material breach on their part.  And it's comcast, so it will be fun to sue those assholes. 

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2014, 11:04:44 am »
If they can't deliver your service, there should be no penalty for cancelling the contract.  It's a prior material breach on their part.  And it's comcast, so it will be fun to sue those assholes.  

That will be my approach.  Mrs Limey works from home, so no internet is a major issue.

ETA:  Arrgh!  U-Verse only offers phone and internet in my building.  No TV.  Here's hoping that Comcast can get our shit fixed for good.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:30:24 am by Limey »

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2014, 11:40:19 am »
Here's hoping that Comcast can get our shit fixed for good.

They've got you just where they want you. 

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2014, 11:43:29 am »
They've got you just where they want you.  

Just imagine the depths of suck they'd plunge if U-Verse wasn't stalking them through most areas of the city now.  No X1 platform in Houston, that's for sure.

PS:  When it works, X1 is pretty slick.  They've just revamped the interface and it's better than ever.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2014, 11:55:11 am »
I live in a third-world country and I don't have any of these problems.
Y todo lo que sube baja

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2014, 11:59:48 am »

Yeah, but you have to live with affordable health care too, so it all balances out.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2014, 12:02:57 pm »

Had the same issue this past week.  Spent 3+ hours on the phones with them.  They couldn't fix it from their end. Finally had a tech come by on Saturday.  Said the connection coming into the house was filled with water and the line had moss, had been chewed on by squirrels, etc. Replaced the line coming into the house, but still the same problem.  Said the boxes had been 'strained' by the weak signal, and replaced those as well. All is working great now, but what a friggin' pain in the interim...

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2014, 12:09:27 pm »

Most likely due to newer infrastructure.  Comcast are trying to jam a 21st century product through a 20th century delivery system.  In the case of AT&T, a 19th century delivery system.  Unfortunately, because these (and other similar) providers have such a stranglehold on service, there's little/no impetus to update the infrastructure.

It amazes me that, even today, new neighborhoods are being built and wired with coax and low voltage phone lines, instead of fibre optic, the properties of which, ironically, were first demonstrated in 1840.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:13:16 pm by Limey »

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2014, 12:24:14 pm »
because these (and other similar) providers have such a stranglehold on service, continue to find the current infrastructure profitable and the infrastructure provides more than enough speed and features for the vast majority of their customers, there's little/no impetus to update the infrastructure.

FIFY
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2014, 12:31:49 pm »
Yeah, but you have to live with affordable health care too, so it all balances out.

I was in a clinic a couple of weeks ago and had a bunch of routine sort of stuff done on the most modern equipment, spent about an hour with the actual doctor, not some gum snapping assistant. I go to pay on the way out and the girl says, Umm, that'll be fifty five dollars. I stood there gaping at her and she misunderstood my look. Oh, sir, she said, don't worry, your next appointment will only be forty five. You damn right it will, lady, I aint paying fifty five smackers every time I walk through this door, I look like I'm made of money?!
Y todo lo que sube baja

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2014, 08:23:27 pm »
Most likely due to newer infrastructure.  Comcast are trying to jam a 21st century product through a 20th century delivery system.  In the case of AT&T, a 19th century delivery system.  Unfortunately, because these (and other similar) providers have such a stranglehold on service, there's little/no impetus to update the infrastructure.

It amazes me that, even today, new neighborhoods are being built and wired with coax and low voltage phone lines, instead of fibre optic, the properties of which, ironically, were first demonstrated in 1840.

We have moved to a new place, and at the time we were setting up services U-verse was the only option (Time-Warner has since become an option). I was a little skeptical, but since it's a new subdivision, it's fiber and Giga-power, so we decided to try it out. It's been great so far. My laptop gets 75Mbps down/50Mbps up on wireless, and 200/150 on a wired connection. Whole-house DVR. We've got one remote set-top box, so I've been able to haul it and a small TV out to the garage while I've been working out there. My only complaint so far is that the remote is a finicky son-of-a-bitch that requires a precise and delicate touch.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2014, 10:13:14 am »
That will be my approach.  Mrs Limey works from home, so no internet is a major issue.
ETA:  Arrgh!  U-Verse only offers phone and internet in my building.  No TV.  Here's hoping that Comcast can get our shit fixed for good.

Canceling is one option.  I have also found that they are very willing to credit the month of service in question when there is an issue.  You have to ask, though.  Regarding working from home, I've had two outages that were more than a blip in the last 10 years.  They were a chore both times but also both times, I used a MiFi or Wireless hotspot capability on my phone to get by.  The stability and speed have been astounding, far better than Verizon FIOS and any of the Dish providers.

One tip, uptime goes up if you engage the business-class service and, in some locations, the costs go down, not only for internet but also for cable and phone if you are using all services.  We have a NFP business running out of the home so we were flooded with offers from Comcast.  I've heard that you can engage if you run any business out of the house or if someone teleworks and you call the site "remote work site for XXX Corp" when you give them a ring.

Glad to hear about the revamped X1 getting even better.  I'll go ahead and do the upgrade and try it out.  X1 so far has been absolutely great on the app and functionality side.  I hate that the new remote does not have a backlight.  Really guys?
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2014, 08:45:47 am »

So, as part of the process of building a new house, Mrs Limey and I are in an apartment for a while.  U-Verse was an option for TV and internet, and we took it.  For (literally*) half the price per month, we get all our channels** and 18mps download speeds (I have tested it).  Apparently, our apartment complex is connected to AT&T by fibre optic cable.

* literally

** except Hallmark, as AT&T is in a pissing contest with them too.  As of Nov 1, Mrs Limey is on the warpath, due to that being the start of the non-stop 'til New Year Christmas movie marathon.  She has to survive on the few dozen or so Christmas movies we have on the Apple TV.  The horror!

FWIW, the U-Verse interface is better and more responsive than Comcast's X1, albeit "limited" to 1080i or 720p.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 08:48:06 am by Limey »

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2014, 07:54:39 pm »
So, as part of the process of building a new house, Mrs Limey and I are in an apartment for a while.  U-Verse was an option for TV and internet, and we took it.  For (literally*) half the price per month, we get all our channels** and 18mps download speeds (I have tested it).  Apparently, our apartment complex is connected to AT&T by fibre optic cable.

* literally

** except Hallmark, as AT&T is in a pissing contest with them too.  As of Nov 1, Mrs Limey is on the warpath, due to that being the start of the non-stop 'til New Year Christmas movie marathon.  She has to survive on the few dozen or so Christmas movies we have on the Apple TV.  The horror!

FWIW, the U-Verse interface is better and more responsive than Comcast's X1, albeit "limited" to 1080i or 720p.

When we moved to your new house in February, we ditched Time Warner and picked up U-Verse (Gigapower, no less). I haven't run tests recently, but when we moved in, I was getting ~60 mbps down wireless, and 200+ mbps down on a wired connection. As I recall, they were supposed to be upgrading things so that we would be close to 500 mbps sometime this year (which is about up, I guess, so maybe I should test again), and then nearly 1000 mbps next summer. And because we were building, we've got wired connections in all of the appropriate places. I've been happy with the service, although we've had a couple of interruptions that took 15 to 30 minutes to get resolved.

We also have one of their wireless receivers, and I was very skeptical of it. But I've used it out in the garage several times and it has worked great. I imagine myself pulling a(n?) HH and taking a TV, that receiver, and a bottle of bourbon out to the back porch and watching football, but so far I've been too lazy to do so.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2014, 09:20:09 am »
I imagine myself pulling a(n?) HH and taking a TV, that receiver, and a bottle of bourbon out to the back porch and watching football, but so far I've been too lazy to do so.
-

Too lazy to watch football and drink whiskey?  You, sir, are taking lazy to a whole nuther level. 

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2014, 09:43:02 am »
Too lazy to watch football and drink whiskey?  You, sir, are taking lazy to a whole nuther level. 

The watching and drinking part I've got down pretty good. It's the moving the TV part that's putting me off.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2014, 10:35:03 am »
The watching and drinking part I've got down pretty good. It's the moving the TV part that's putting me off.

Why don't you have a TV on the porch in the first place?  Geez, you gotta think these things through. 

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2014, 01:30:12 pm »
I miss screened in porches. houses just don't have them much anymor

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2014, 02:11:40 pm »
I miss screened in porches. houses just don't have them much anymor

Ours does. It's great, because I'm prime mosquito bait and can't stay out very long without really getting chewed up.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2014, 02:46:30 pm »
Ours does. It's great, because I'm prime mosquito bait and can't stay out very long without really getting chewed up.

I wish mine did.  I'm getting eaten alive as I type, and am having to go back inside on this gorgeous 60 degree day.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2014, 07:29:59 pm »

I decided today to build one down at the Slack Shack. The weather was blissful and time needed to be spent watching football and drinking beer on a screened in porch.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit