Author Topic: Etta James  (Read 1719 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Etta James
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:20:01 am »
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Re: Etta James
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:22:44 am »
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

S.P. Rodriguez

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 01:27:42 pm »
Never to be forgotten.... 

At Last
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 01:38:54 pm »
Hard to Handle with the Grateful Dead.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 01:51:29 pm »
James was "discovered" by Johnny Otis, who also passed away earlier this week. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

S.P. Rodriguez

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 02:16:02 pm »
A few years back, I was spending a quiet saturday evening at home when I stumbled across a PBS re-broadcasted performance by Etta James.  I called my wife over and we spent a nice evening listening to Etta James put her personal touch on R&B standards.  It was a great show, even on TV.

She was a one of a kind performer. 
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 03:49:40 pm »
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

strosrays

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 05:41:05 pm »
James was "discovered" by Johnny Otis, who also passed away earlier this week. 

Which is kind of weird to me, because I spent time just prior to hearing of Johnny Otis' death thinking about Shuggie, "Strawberry Letter 23", what a good guitarist I thought he was, how he married one of the GTOs, wondering what had become of him.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 09:02:39 pm »
Zappa was a big Johnny Otis guy and Shuggie Otis too. My personal Johnny Otis fave is an obscure party record known as the Johnny Otis Show: Snatch and the Poontangs. Very blue, and funny as fucking shit. Shuggie plays on it and some cat on vocals who I can remember. I know Nick Cave is/was a fan too because his version of Stagger Lee is closest to Snatch and crew's version.

Shuggie plays the blues in his dad's band.

Etta was one of a kind. RIP to both of them.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:00:35 pm by Sphinx Drummond »
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 10:07:52 pm »
Which is kind of weird to me, because I spent time just prior to hearing of Johnny Otis' death thinking about Shuggie, "Strawberry Letter 23", what a good guitarist I thought he was, how he married one of the GTOs, wondering what had become of him.

Heard Strawberry Letter 23 thousands of times. I'm an old Brothers Johnson fan and had always assumed they had written it. Until now, I had not known it was a Shug composition, nor heard his version. Thanks maign.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

strosrays

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 01:17:16 am »
Heard Strawberry Letter 23 thousands of times. I'm an old Brothers Johnson fan and had always assumed they had written it. Until now, I had not known it was a Shug composition, nor heard his version. Thanks maign.

I know you've already found it, but I couldn't help posting the URL here.

Strawberry Letter 23

I always dug the Bros. Johnson remake, but having heard Shuggie's version first, and having purchased the Freedom Flight LP several years before the Bros. version, I was probably inclined to like Shuggie's version best.  Plus, to me, Shuggie's comes off more as a sort of hippie daydream than an R & B dance song, which I think it should be.

I like(d) Shuggie a lot, and not only for this.  He did one of those Al Kooper Sessions LPs in 1970 - when he was fucking 15 - and he was just excellent.

Dude can play, but he is apparently pretty reclusive.  The Zappa thing would explain the GTOs connection, I gather.

jester9450

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 10:27:54 am »
Great singer and beautful lady. R.I.P