Author Topic: OK...one Thanksgiving Dinner rant...  (Read 2715 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
OK...one Thanksgiving Dinner rant...
« on: November 25, 2011, 08:24:24 pm »
You guys can think I'm being ridiculous all you want, but... when I invite you to my home for Thanksgiving dinner, it's not alright to show up in gym shorts, a tshirt and tennis shoes.  Yes, you are family.  Yes, I want you to feel welcome in my home.  But, I invited you over to celebrate a tradition-rich, honored National Holiday, not help me clean out the garage.  I realize it's not a Presidential inauguration ball, but I still think wearing pants is in order.  The worst part is, your sons were dressed the same way, and I'm afraid they're going to grow up thinking it's acceptable to wear your workout clothes to Thanksgiving dinner.  So pardon ol' Uncle Matt for having to give them what appears to be the only lesson in social etiquette they'll be receiving.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
Re: OK...one Thanksgiving Dinner rant...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 09:07:59 pm »
"B-b-believe me, the fr-fr-frozen is just as g-g-good a-as the real."

I hear you. There's a New Casual going around and us old farts see things differently.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

ybbodeus

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 09:08:26 pm »
Tell 'um to meet you at Outback next year.
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 09:15:55 pm »
"B-b-believe me, the fr-fr-frozen is just as g-g-good a-as the real."

I hear you. There's a New Casual going around and us old farts see things differently.

He's my age.  He should know better.  And this was way beyond "casual".  Hell, I could have even stomached a pair a jeans, which would have only been mildly tacky.  He's a nice guy, I enjoy visiting with him.  But the lack of even a little bit of social grace irritates me to no end. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 09:25:15 pm »
He's my age.  He should know better.  And this was way beyond "casual".  Hell, I could have even stomached a pair a jeans, which would have only been mildly tacky.  He's a nice guy, I enjoy visiting with him.  But the lack of even a little bit of social grace irritates me to no end. 

I was at a wedding a couple of weeks ago, a couple who are in their early 30s. Most of the groom's side looked like they'd shuffled in from their day job at the circus. Most people did have the good sense to dress well, but there were several who either don't know or don't care that sometimes a celebration is partly special because of the way you treat the occasion, not just that you're there for it.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 09:54:41 pm »
I hope like hell they weren't wearing baseball caps
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 09:57:27 pm »
Backwards, at that.
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 10:02:23 pm »
I would think jeans and a collared shirt should be fine, but maybe I am more casual than you.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 10:08:21 pm »

Robert E. Lee once said "the gentleman does not needlessly and unneccessarily remind an offender of the wrong he may have committed against him.  He can not only forgive; he can forget, and he strives for that nobleness of self and mildness of character which impart sufficient strength to let the past be but the past."  That said...no one with a Y chromosome would have sat at my dinner table wearing a hat.

When I was about 12, my grandfather gave me an old, tattered leatherbound copy of William Cobbett's "Advice to Young Men", which I think should be required reading before one turns 16.  I have six nephews, all under the age of 12.  I think I'll get each of them a copy.  That, and a newer book "50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know".  The world will not got to hell in handbasket on my watch.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 10:10:09 pm »
I would think jeans and a collared shirt should be fine, but maybe I am more casual than you.

If you tuck your shirt in, I can live with that, though still gauche for a Holiday dinner.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 10:18:51 pm »
When I was about 12, my grandfather gave me an old, tattered leatherbound copy of William Cobbett's "Advice to Young Men", which I think should be required reading before one turns 16.  I have six nephews, all under the age of 12.  I think I'll get each of them a copy.  That, and a newer book "50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know".  The world will not got to hell in handbasket on my watch.

It is the little things that guys do that make them a gentleman.  Good luck on your watch.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 10:22:23 pm »
It is the little things that guys do that make them a gentleman.  Good luck on your watch.

There are also minimum standards on the big things.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 09:20:31 am »
If you tuck your shirt in, I can live with that, though still gauche for a Holiday dinner.

I wouldn't wear jeans to somebody's home, but we had Thanksgiving at my great-uncle's ranch and pretty much everyone wore jeans.  There's always some context.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 12:09:51 pm »
i remember the erra when you wore hose and took pride in how you look..now i just get looks when i suggest such a thing  to the clan of daughters
forever is composed entirely of nows

sporadic

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 12:42:32 pm »
If I were to host a formal dinner party I would care how people dressed.  Thanksgiving, to me, is more about spending time with loved ones, not worrying about their dinner attire.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 12:57:49 pm »
true that but some old school show it as a sign of repsexgt
forever is composed entirely of nows

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 03:57:08 pm »
Honestly, I can't imagine showing up at someone else's home for a Thanksgiving meal in workout wear, even if I were 87 years old and living in Boca.  Maybe if I were living in Key West or somewhere in the tropics.  Even then, though, I'd show up in something akin to upscale dockwear, not some Bally 24 Fitness garb.

Of course, Thanksgiving always includes church service attendance for us, so we're already dressed "appropriately."

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 04:51:04 pm »
true that but some old school show it as a sign of repsexgt
Please tell me you did that on purpose.
Up in the Air

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 05:51:55 pm »

Of course, Thanksgiving always includes church service attendance for us, so we're already dressed "appropriately."

I remember growing up and going to Church of Christ, every male from age 6 up wore a suit and tie. I hardly ever go anymore but now we got guys preaching, serving communion, and leading singing; in jeans and golf shirts. I don't feel right with any less than slacks, dress shirt, and sport coat, but I look over dressed by comparison.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 06:56:41 pm »
Dad gummed business casual's spread to every-f'ing-thing.