Author Topic: Music emergency  (Read 2740 times)

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
Music emergency
« on: November 23, 2011, 12:03:21 pm »
I have just discovered that my CD player isn't working (lightning? who knows?), and this is not good because I'm spending today in the kitchen and need music to accompany me. Do iPods (or PCs, for that matter) put out a line-level signal suitable for patching into the aux inputs on my pre-amp (assuming that I could find a minijack-to-split-RCA cable)? Or am I SOL?
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Music emergency
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 12:06:53 pm »
Can you plug an iPod into your stereo?  Yes.  Do it every day.  Gotta have the right cord, though.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 12:10:34 pm »
Can you plug an iPod into your stereo?  Yes.  Do it every day.  Gotta have the right cord, though.

Do you use the minijack or the 30-pin connector? I see cables for both.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 12:18:26 pm »
The mini jack will be a really low level signal but it might work. The multipin will be cleaner but like he said, you'll need the right connector.

There's also Spotify.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 12:20:53 pm »
Do you use the minijack or the 30-pin connector? I see cables for both.

I use the minijack, works fine for me.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 12:59:43 pm »
I use the minijack daily. Works wonderfully.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 01:04:13 pm »
Thanks, folks. My wife is out running errands and she's going to pick one up for me. Crisis averted!

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 01:39:34 pm »
Out of curiosity...why not headphones?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 01:54:00 pm »
Out of curiosity...why not headphones?

They're at the office.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 07:57:42 am »
I have just discovered that my CD player isn't working (lightning? who knows?), and this is not good because I'm spending today in the kitchen and need music to accompany me. Do iPods (or PCs, for that matter) put out a line-level signal suitable for patching into the aux inputs on my pre-amp (assuming that I could find a minijack-to-split-RCA cable)? Or am I SOL?

did you really type this? no music in your kitchen is a tragedy?  who stole your computer?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 08:50:29 am »
I would go ahead and get one of those "stereo mini to dual RCA" cables.  If you've got enough inputs on your receiver, why not?  More convenient than swapping out CDs all day.
Grab another Coke and let's die

Trey

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 09:09:53 am »
I would go ahead and get one of those "stereo mini to dual RCA" cables.  If you've got enough inputs on your receiver, why not?  More convenient than swapping out CDs all day.

If you want to get fancier (and lazier) you can use an Airport Express or AppleTV plugged into your stereo.  Then you can use your laptop/Iphone/Ipod touch to control the music remotely.  But, yeah, the "stereo mini to dual RCA" cables is cheaper, easier, and works great.

Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Gizzmonic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 11:25:29 am »
I had an Airport Express to stream iTunes from my Mac to my stereo downstairs for awhile.  Worst Apple product I've ever owned.  It would crash about every other day.  I went back to the simple and dumb Y-cable to my iPod.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 11:47:50 am »
I had an Airport Express to stream iTunes from my Mac to my stereo downstairs for awhile.  Worst Apple product I've ever owned.  It would crash about every other day.  I went back to the simple and dumb Y-cable to my iPod.

[Channeling Steve Jobs]

The Airport Express has recently been updated, and can now be controlled / set-up from your iDevice using a free app.  However, your issue may have been that iTunes wasn't available if your Mac was asleep.  Newer Macs can wake when pinged by a device on your network, so this is no longer an issue (if you still have an older Mac, that won't work, but you can change the power settings to still shut off the screen while leaving the CPU up).

[Channeling Steve Jobs]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:50:41 am by Limey »
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Trey

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 03:00:34 pm »
I had an Airport Express to stream iTunes from my Mac to my stereo downstairs for awhile.  Worst Apple product I've ever owned.  It would crash about every other day.  I went back to the simple and dumb Y-cable to my iPod.

I was not a big fan of Apple products but was looking for an easy way to stream music from my laptop to my stereo.  The Airport Express was what I found.  I've only had one issue with it (turned out it was accidental user error that almost caused me to physically assault and Apple store employee) in the two or three years I've owned it.  Now that I have an iphone it is even more user friendly.
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Gizzmonic

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 04:43:38 pm »
[Channeling Steve Jobs]

The Airport Express has recently been updated, and can now be controlled / set-up from your iDevice using a free app.  However, your issue may have been that iTunes wasn't available if your Mac was asleep.  Newer Macs can wake when pinged by a device on your network, so this is no longer an issue (if you still have an older Mac, that won't work, but you can change the power settings to still shut off the screen while leaving the CPU up).

[Channeling Steve Jobs]

Yeah, it wasn't a sleep issue.  The fucker would crash about every other day.  I put up with it fro awhile because it always came right back up after a reboot.  Finally got a $30 Netgear router that works a lot better, but of course it can't do the audio stuff.  I'm sure I just got a lemon.  If anyone is getting rid of an old one, let me know!