Author Topic: happy turkey day  (Read 5274 times)

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
happy turkey day
« on: November 23, 2011, 07:34:38 pm »
safe journey
good food
forever is composed entirely of nows

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
Re: happy turkey day
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 08:22:53 am »
Got up at 4:00am and put bird on the smoker. Never smoked a Turkey on my smoker before.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 08:25:02 am »
i know it will be good , i caved and purchased a done one

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 09:01:45 am »
Got up at 4:00am and put bird on the smoker. Never smoked a Turkey on my smoker before.

I was scared to death the first time and it came out terrifically. The second time was fantastic. This one will be the third and I brined it beforehand. I expect it to be spectacular.

Unless I fuck it up somehow.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 09:02:52 am »
Oh, and happy Thanksvingin, evryone!

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 09:04:29 am »
I was scared to death the first time and it came out terrifically. The second time was fantastic. This one will be the third and I brined it beforehand. I expect it to be spectacular.

Unless I fuck it up somehow.

Brined it for about 18 hours. Breast is at 150 degrees, gonna pull it off at 160.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 09:18:42 am »
Brined it for about 18 hours. Breast is at 150 degrees, gonna pull it off at 160.

You're gonna love it.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 09:26:55 am »
Only problem is the skin
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 09:50:00 am »
Only problem is the skin

But that's not really much of a problem, one chooses to either eat the skin or not. I did shove about 7 fresh sage leaves (spread-out evenly) up under the skin between the breast.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 09:56:14 am »
Only problem is the skin

If you smoke at 325-350 the skin comes out crisp. If you brine and air-dry it and cook it hot it comes out crisp. Smoking at low temperatures or tenting it after cooking makes the skin rubbery.

I don't eat the skin anyway, but I like the way it looks.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 09:58:00 am »
I did shove about 7 fresh sage leaves (spread-out evenly) up under the skin between the breast.

The first time I did it I used butter and some dried rosemary. This time I made a mixture of olive oil, fresh thyme, dried rosemary and fresh sage and spread it around under the skin. I learned the first time that you can get a little happy with the rosemary if you're not careful.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 11:07:23 am »
Happy thanksgiving everyone. Already made two trips to the grocery store this morning for stuff we forgot at home.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 11:27:51 am »
If you smoke at 325-350 the skin comes out crisp. If you brine and air-dry it and cook it hot it comes out crisp. Smoking at low temperatures or tenting it after cooking makes the skin rubbery.

I don't eat the skin anyway, but I like the way it looks.

In my experience, even with higher temp smoking you cannot get as good a skin as in the oven. The smoke tans/toughens the skin (do not have my copy of Modernist Cuisinewith me but they explain in detail). Definitely much better than low temp smoking though.

ETA: as a non-skin eater, you probably don't really care. I am probably closer to a skin only eater
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:32:41 am by BizidyDizidy »
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 11:58:24 am »
I'm making ceviche. I can make a ludicrously good ceviche but am a tremendous, shameful failure at replicating my favorite green aji. I've got huacatay and rocoto and everything. FMA.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregĂșntale a Pedro Navaja

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 12:01:23 pm »
Ate at French Laundry last night - still full. Hopefully I can rally by supper time (luckily eating is where I am a Viking)
  -  Orson Welles

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 08:53:56 am »
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I did the fried turkeys for the neighborhood this year. Broke out the St Arnolds Pumpkinator for dessert. Good day.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 10:24:02 am »
I had the mom-in-law, wife, daughter and 4 foster kids (+1 boyfriend) at the feast.  I've been a foster parent for 13 years now and have not experienced a meal like this yet.  1 kid is Mexican (with a Peruvian boyfriend), 1 is Viet, and two are african-american.  None had ever had a roast turkey in their lives; some due to culture and some due to neglect.  It was fascinating watching the kids watch us as we got up early, got the bird in the oven and prepared the sides; garlic mashed potatoes / candied yams with marshmellows / brussel sprouts / stuffing in the bird / turkey gravey actually made from the drippings / pumpkin pies / fresh baked sage bread / relish tray / steamed broccoli / sparkling cider / cranberry sauces / etc...

It was an absolute joy to see them eat the first tentative bites then gobble up the rest, hear what they talked about as we went around the table telling what we are thankful for and sit around and chat and digest together in safety, love and comfort.  I am a blessed and thankful man.  Happy Thanksgiving, all.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 10:29:56 am »
I had the mom-in-law, wife, daughter and 4 foster kids (+1 boyfriend) at the feast.  I've been a foster parent for 13 years now and have not experienced a meal like this yet.  1 kid is Mexican (with a Peruvian boyfriend), 1 is Viet, and two are african-american.  None had ever had a roast turkey in their lives; some due to culture and some due to neglect.  It was fascinating watching the kids watch us as we got up early, got the bird in the oven and prepared the sides; garlic mashed potatoes / candied yams with marshmellows / brussel sprouts / stuffing in the bird / turkey gravey actually made from the drippings / pumpkin pies / fresh baked sage bread / relish tray / steamed broccoli / sparkling cider / cranberry sauces / etc...

It was an absolute joy to see them eat the first tentative bites then gobble up the rest, hear what they talked about as we went around the table telling what we are thankful for and sit around and chat and digest together in safety, love and comfort.  I am a blessed and thankful man.  Happy Thanksgiving, all.

the world needs more of you.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 10:35:40 am »
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

strosrays

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 11:09:27 am »

You are an admirable person (except for the part about brussels sprouts and candied yams).  In time, you'll get back ten times what you have put in, for sure; but even before that, I am guessing the reward you get from doing this sort of thing is great.

And, thank you.

Now, enjoy the rest of your weekend, then get to work on this weather, man.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 12:18:28 pm »
the world needs more of you.

+2. There's no better way to say this.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 04:56:32 pm »
i love brussels sprouts
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 05:36:39 pm »
i love brussels sprouts

Try deep frying them (just naked) - incredible
  -  Orson Welles

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 06:22:02 pm »
Ron, Bizzy, my smoked turkey turned out great, the skin was leathery/chewy but tasted great. Breast was moist and tender. I love brussels sprout, will have to try deep fried.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 07:27:50 pm »
Ron, Bizzy, my smoked turkey turned out great, the skin was leathery/chewy but tasted great. Breast was moist and tender. I love brussels sprout, will have to try deep fried.

Cool!

Never tried frying sprouts, only steamed or roasted. Interesting.

What about pan-frying them in bacon drippings?

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2011, 07:33:37 pm »
Cool!

Delicious too - key is getting a good hard browning on them

Deep frying heat the oil to 375, quarter the sprouts and don't overcrowd. Be very careful about overflow. Good with just salt, would be awesome with bacon vinaigrette (think warm spinach saladesque)
  -  Orson Welles

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2011, 07:38:17 pm »
Delicious too - key is getting a good hard browning on them

Deep frying heat the oil to 375, quarter the sprouts and don't overcrowd. Be very careful about overflow. Good with just salt, would be awesome with bacon vinaigrette (think warm spinach saladesque)

Feast serves the best sprouts I've had but will have to try this out at home.

strosrays

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2011, 08:02:21 am »
Cool!

The only way I have ever been able to actually eat one is with it swimming in half a bottle of ketchup, to kill the taste.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 12:10:33 pm »
when i eat pintos i do the same thing

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2011, 04:48:25 pm »

Those are the best.  Add tabasco to taste.
Up in the Air

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2011, 04:53:45 pm »
We put the bird in breast down at 11 pm the night before, leave the oven at 200 all night and keep the foils over it loose.  Flip the bird at 8, remove half the juice for the gravy later, pour the rest on top of the bird, then turn the oven up to 250, tightening the foil a bit more around the edges.  We move the foil about two hours after that, then let it ride until it's time to eat.  Turn the oven to low broil for about ten minutes before removing it from the oven.  Let it sit while we prepare everything else.  Bird's moist throughout--the cornbread stuffing helps a little there, since we butter that stuff up to disturbing levels.

I'm always interested in another way to do the bird, but that way has proven reliable year after year.  We have the sprouts, too, but it has never occured to me to fry them.  We steam 'em.
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

headhunter

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2011, 05:16:36 pm »

I'm always interested in another way to do the bird,
inspired by Alton Brown we butterflied the bird a few days in advance, applied a rub, aged it in the fridge. only needed to cook it for a couple hours that way (foil on wing and leg tips) and it turned out great. Best thing we did this year was prepare most of the dishes the day before and had very little actual cooking to do on Thursday. Was the least stressful time we've hosted that I can recall. Actually enjoyed the holiday...but some credit must be given to the vanilla porter I consumed slowly, but steadily http://www.breckbrew.com/beer/vanillaporter.html.
my probation officer is real proud of me
I drive an Olds 88 got the devil on a leash...
I'm going out West...

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2011, 06:54:23 pm »
Foil on legs and wing tips--thanks a ton.  I'll probably print that "recipe" and use it for Christmas.
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2011, 07:25:49 pm »
I'm always interested in another way to do the bird.

Brined for 24 hours in apple juice, salt, etc. Air-dried in the refrigerator for 8 hours, light coating of herbed olive oil over and under the skin, smoked over pecan at 325 for three hours. Best one I've ever done, moist all the way through, great smoke flavor with notes of apple.

The real star side dish is a crab/shrimp/eggplant cajun-style dressing. Yow.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2011, 08:02:54 pm »
For me, turkeys are kind of like giving birth: it takes 4 or 5 years before I'm willing to do it again. So this year we did a beef tenderloin. One thing we've learned is to salt the thing and then let it air cure in the fridge for about 24 hours. During that time it turns almost port-colored, but something happens to make it even more tender than usual. We crusted it in a peppercorn-rosemary-porcini rub, browned it, and then grilled it at 400 for about 45 minutes. Served with a butternut squash-pasta dish, mashed sweet potatoes with chipotle and maple syrup, green beans with red and yellow peppers, roasted fingerling potatoes, salad with gorgonzola and pears, and a new recipe for dinner rolls that used honey and molasses (the rolls were fantastic). Even better, no cooking was required on Friday!
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2011, 09:32:12 am »
when is the opening of your restrurant

headhunter

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2011, 10:21:48 am »
mashed sweet potatoes with chipotle and maple syrup!
recipe? please.
I'm going out West...

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2011, 11:55:15 am »
recipe? please.

Here you go.

I roast the sweet potatoes in their skins (1 hour to 1:15 at 375) rather than microwave them, then scoop them out once they've cooled. I suppose you could peel them, chop into pieces, and roast the pieces, too; that would probably get you some good caramelized bits that would add a nice touch.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

strosrays

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2011, 02:34:29 pm »
For me, turkeys are kind of like giving birth, blah, blah, blah

Nothing personal, but I am no gourmand or chef, so none of this meant a lot to me.

But the opening phrase, stand-alone, is a near perfect recipe of equal parts funny, off the wall, and profoundly disturbing.  I shall be retaining it in memory.

headhunter

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 11:26:52 am »
Here you go.

I roast the sweet potatoes in their skins (1 hour to 1:15 at 375) rather than microwave them, then scoop them out once they've cooled. I suppose you could peel them, chop into pieces, and roast the pieces, too; that would probably get you some good caramelized bits that would add a nice touch.
thank you. expect to attempt this very soon. and will roast in skins rather than nuke.
I'm going out West...