Author Topic: One if by land.  (Read 2579 times)

94CougarGrad

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
One if by land.
« on: October 06, 2011, 12:25:19 pm »
The Sooners are invading tomorrow.

Which means- public service reminder for those of us in NoTx- that I-35E will be a parking lot. Covered with maroon or crimson or whatever it is they call it. And I'm gonna overhear that dang nine-ish-word fight song all weekend long. Oh-kla-home-a, Oh-kla-home-a, dah dah daaaaah dah, etc. etc. etc. (Is that all the wordage they could come up with?)

Denton is rolling out the proverbial red carpet for the Sooners. The Denton Chamber of Commerce is pushing the schmancy new A-train that we got that will take you directly from Denton to Fair Park and the Cotton Bowl and inviting Sooners to make Denton their "Texas headquarters." I don't begrudge Denton the money it'll potentially make, but... it's the Sooner herd. I might almost rather be subjected to, "Whoo, pig, soo-ie!"
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
Re: One if by land.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 12:28:59 pm »
The Sooners are invading tomorrow.

Which means- public service reminder for those of us in NoTx- that I-35E will be a parking lot. Covered with maroon or crimson or whatever it is they call it. And I'm gonna overhear that dang nine-ish-word fight song all weekend long. Oh-kla-home-a, Oh-kla-home-a, dah dah daaaaah dah, etc. etc. etc. (Is that all the wordage they could come up with?)

Denton is rolling out the proverbial red carpet for the Sooners. The Denton Chamber of Commerce is pushing the schmancy new A-train that we got that will take you directly from Denton to Fair Park and the Cotton Bowl and inviting Sooners to make Denton their "Texas headquarters." I don't begrudge Denton the money it'll potentially make, but... it's the Sooner herd. I might almost rather be subjected to, "Whoo, pig, soo-ie!"

Sorry, but isn't Dallas essentially southern Oklahoma based on demographics?  When I lived there, I couldn't throw a stick without hitting a Sooner (and I threw a lot of them!).
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Duke

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 03:37:32 pm »
The Denton Chamber of Commerce is pushing the schmancy new A-train that we got that will take you directly from Denton to Fair Park and the Cotton Bowl

After the game last year we stuck around the fairgrounds for a few hours.   Had some beer, at some Fletcher's dogs.  When we were leaving the line to take the train looked like it was hours long.  Has any of y'all actually done this?  How long does it take?

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 03:38:51 pm »
After the game last year we stuck around the fairgrounds for a few hours.   Had some beer, at some Fletcher's dogs.  When we were leaving the line to take the train looked like it was hours long.  Has any of y'all actually done this?  How long does it take?

I've found the best way to do it is have a son who lives nearby who is willing to drop you off and pick you up.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Duke

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 03:51:26 pm »
I've found the best way to do it is have a son who lives nearby who is willing to drop you off and pick you up.

For years we walked from the hotel to the game (about 2 miles).  Everything was cool until it rained and the ladies in the group ended with wet hair and make up.  Now we drive down and park under I-30.  Takes about 3 times as long with the grid-lock.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 06:49:33 pm »
Sorry, but isn't Dallas essentially southern Oklahoma based on demographics?  When I lived there, I couldn't throw a stick without hitting a Sooner (and I threw a lot of them!).

Yeah, I have to admit... when we moved here from Houston, I had no idea that we were relocating to southern Oklahoma. The Fort Worth side of 35 is a bit different... lots of purple and white over that way. Denton suffers from a fair amount of Soonerage and Kansas Staters, but it's largely Mean Green here. And, pleasantly, half a dozen Coogs.
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 07:57:31 am »
Yeah, I have to admit... when we moved here from Houston, I had no idea that we were relocating to southern Oklahoma. The Fort Worth side of 35 is a bit different... lots of purple and white over that way. Denton suffers from a fair amount of Soonerage and Kansas Staters, but it's largely Mean Green here. And, pleasantly, half a dozen Coogs.

It's not a bad place to live, outside the other people!  Only advice I can offer is bring in your pets and lock your doors at night. 
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 03:15:52 pm »
The sign out front of El Arroyo says, "OU, keeping ugly girls out of UT since 1883".

Brilliant!

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 04:20:22 pm »
And, pleasantly, half a dozen Coogs.

Somebody has to be the boss.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 04:56:49 pm »
Dear God, they've invaded my very neighborhood. The husband just called and said there are a bunch of them on the overpass near us wearing crimson and holding up signs, cheering at the passing cars. I'm about to go pick up Big 'un from football practice... he's gonna have an aneurism. Or, at the very least, will lean out the truck window and scream, "Hook 'em!"

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 07:57:06 pm »
i will be watching the news at 10 for a full report
forever is composed entirely of nows

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 10:40:02 am »
He leaned out of the window and screamed, "Hook 'em" at the infidels, and they all made faces and shouted "Texas sucks!" at him. Probably didn't make the news.

Traffic last night was hellacious. Big 'un is waiting rather impatiently for the game to begin. He's been watching Gameday for several hours. Too bad the game will probably end while he's testing for his green belt with 3 blue stripes this afternoon.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 12:19:04 pm »
Mrs. ETA is trying to drive to Baton Rouge right now. Just as a favor for a friend who needed a ride. She says it isn't pretty on I-10.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.