Author Topic: AL MVP beef  (Read 1288 times)

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
AL MVP beef
« on: September 14, 2011, 03:24:47 pm »
IMO Verlander is the MVP - Here is my response to those who say "every day players impact the game more and are thus more valuable" or "Pitchers have the Cy Young"

Issue A: Pitchers vs. Everyday Players
1.  As of this morning Verlander has faced 910 batters (opportunities to impact the game for his team) in 32 starts
2. Granderson has had 640 Plate Appearances and had 345 Chances in the field, which combine for 985 chances to impact the game for his team.  That is in 144 games. 
3. So Granderson who has played in 4 times the games has only had 75 more chances to impact the game for his team than Verlander.  Granderson spends most of his time being ready - ready to field the ball in left and sitting on the bench being ready to hit.

Issue B: Pitchers have the Cy Young
1. There is also the Hank Aaron award for the best offensive performer too.  It is a newer award and not talked about as much but I remember that being instituted to be the offensive equivalent of the Cy Young.
2. Pitchers are on the roster therefore, they are players - This is the Most Valuable Player- Not the most valuable offensive player - that is the Hank Aaron award.

I feel better now.

Always ready to go to a game.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
Re: AL MVP beef
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 03:44:10 pm »
Well damn, Amen brother. That's a pretty convincing argument. I never thought about the batters faced vs. plate appearances/fielding chances thing. Of course, a 1st baseman will have many more fielding "chances" than a CF like Granderson, but, not very many throws from an infielder have the same degree of difficulty as trying to get a Major League hitter out, so I think the edge might still go to Verlander as compared to, say, Adrian Gonzalez.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 03:49:49 pm »

Issue A: Pitchers vs. Everyday Players
1.  As of this morning Verlander has faced 910 batters (opportunities to impact the game for his team) in 32 starts
2. Granderson has had 640 Plate Appearances and had 345 Chances in the field, which combine for 985 chances to impact the game for his team.  That is in 144 games. 

I think this is a silly point on both sides of the argument, but I definitely agree that Verlander should be the MVP.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 08:59:21 pm »
No way man. Only strikeout pitchers can be MVPs because otherwise, they're using fielders to help them out.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 09:12:43 pm »
No way man. Only strikeout pitchers can be MVPs because otherwise, they're using fielders to help them out.

He still needs a catcher, right?

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 09:16:41 pm »
He still needs a catcher, right?

You'd think that, but if it's Towles then Coach is prepared to just play the caroms.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 09:54:20 am »
Normally, defense isn't even taken into account on MVP voting so you could just use BF v. PA since defense is so undervalued.
Always ready to go to a game.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 10:01:28 am »
Normally, defense isn't even taken into account on MVP Gold Glove voting so you could just use BF v. PA since defense is so undervalued.

FIFY
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 04:44:56 pm »
That Ellsbury kid isn't too shabby either.  Just say'n.