Author Topic: Nike letting colleges out of their contracts  (Read 3026 times)

Trey

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Nike letting colleges out of their contracts
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:44:09 am »
Looks like Nike baseball bats are getting off to an even worse start than their golf clubs did a few years ago:

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20110913/NEWS/110919901/1011?Title=Alabama-baseball-team-other-schools-released-from-Nike-bat-contract
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Re: Nike letting colleges out of their contracts
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:48:03 am »
I bought a pair of Nike golf shoes once.   Once!

Fucking things fell apart in about 6 months.  They are selling shoddy goods with an expensive logo.  I won't buy anything Nike ever again.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:56:33 am »

Fucking things fell apart in about 6 months.  They are selling shoddy goods with an expensive logo.  I won't buy anything Nike ever again.

I disagree.  Their high end products are still quite good (but are also pretty expensive--I'm talking about shoes that sell for well over $100 primarily).  I never trusted nike with sports equipment other than shoes and apparel. 

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:57:54 am »

Our local high school has a contract with Nike.  My son plays varsity basketball and hates, HATES the shoes.  They also started falling apart less than a month into the season.
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 10:23:27 am »

I've refused to buy anything Nike for 20 years. I'm a better person because of it.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

geezerdonk

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Nike letting colleges out of their contracts
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:50:37 am »
I happen to know that Ken Starr wears all manner of Nike products - enough said.
E come vivo? Vivo.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 11:06:36 am »

I was wearing a pair of Nike golf shoes down here a couple of years ago. The humidity and rain (remember what that is?) takes a toll on any clothing but golf shoes especially so those Nikes had no chance. Anyway, in the middle of the round the entire sole of my right shoe just peeled off leaving me soleless. I felt completely emasculated walking around like some European placekicker with a single bar on his helmet.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregĂșntale a Pedro Navaja

Matt

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 11:18:18 am »
Years back when they went into hockey equipment it was just as uninspired, shoddy and expensive as their other sports equipment.  Meanwhile Reebok moved into the hockey game and makes awesome equipment that is affordable and very high quality.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 11:36:58 am »
Years back when they went into hockey equipment it was just as uninspired, shoddy and expensive as their other sports equipment.  Meanwhile Reebok moved into the hockey game and makes awesome equipment that is affordable and very high quality.

Don't know about hockey, but Nike's baseball equipment is junk. Their bats, gloves, catcher's gear...all garbage. I guess if the brand is what's important to you, you get what you deserve.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

sporadic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 11:42:14 am »
Nike had huge QC issues when they started manufacturing their own golf clubs (they used to use Bridgestone's entire plant, from golf balls to forgings).  Anyway, Mickeltits was spot on when he said Tiger was beating the hell out of everyone with inferior equipment.  The ball is still OK...my guess is it is still being mnufactured by Bridgestone, who has been in the unfortunate spot having everybody rip off their technology (they started two-piece, seamless golf ball construction way back in 1993 - well ahead of anyone else).  The clubs still suck

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 11:47:51 am »
I was wearing a pair of Nike golf shoes down here a couple of years ago. The humidity and rain (remember what that is?) takes a toll on any clothing but golf shoes especially so those Nikes had no chance. Anyway, in the middle of the round the entire sole of my right shoe just peeled off leaving me soleless. I felt completely emasculated walking around like some European placekicker with a single bar on his helmet.

Many years ago I had an early morning tee time at Circle C, a full hour south from my house.  For some reason that day, I decided to just grab some socks and slipped on some sandals rather than putting on tennis shoes.  I get to the clubhouse, pop the trunk and FUCK! no shoes.  This is why the club house can sell shoes for double the price, I suppose, but I and my size 15 feet am out of luck.  I had the choice of walking away from my prepaid tee time or playing in sandles... by the 9th hole, my skin on my instep was all torn up.  I ended up having to put the socks on, too, completing the look of a total tool.

But, hey, golf.
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 11:49:35 am »
The ball is still OK...my guess is it is still being mnufactured by Bridgestone, who has been in the unfortunate spot having everybody rip off their technology (they started two-piece, seamless golf ball construction way back in 1993 - well ahead of anyone else).  The clubs still suck

I still prefer the old fashioned balls...ox leather, hand sewn around black walnuts. That's the way the game used to be played...back when we called it gof...without the "l"...

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 11:53:01 am »
Many years ago I had an early morning tee time at Circle C, a full hour south from my house.  For some reason that day, I decided to just grab some socks and slipped on some sandals rather than putting on tennis shoes.  I get to the clubhouse, pop the trunk and FUCK! no shoes.  This is why the club house can sell shoes for double the price, I suppose, but I and my size 15 feet am out of luck.  I had the choice of walking away from my prepaid tee time or playing in sandles... by the 9th hole, my skin on my instep was all torn up.  I ended up having to put the socks on, too, completing the look of a total tool.

But, hey, golf.

It's gotta be the shoes, Money.

sporadic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 11:54:13 am »
I still prefer the old fashioned balls...ox leather, hand sewn around black walnuts. That's the way the game used to be played...back when we JimR called it gof...without the "l"...

sorry, had to be done

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 11:55:13 am »
Nike had huge QC issues when they started manufacturing their own golf clubs (they used to use Bridgestone's entire plant, from golf balls to forgings).  Anyway, Mickeltits was spot on when he said Tiger was beating the hell out of everyone with inferior equipment.  The ball is still OK...my guess is it is still being mnufactured by Bridgestone, who has been in the unfortunate spot having everybody rip off their technology (they started two-piece, seamless golf ball construction way back in 1993 - well ahead of anyone else).  The clubs still suck

I used to waste play with Pro V1's because...well...they're the best...right?  I was fitted for new irons a while back and, prior to getting that started, I got "fitted" for balls [insert eunuch joke here].  Turns out, I hit Bridgestone E6's more consistently and a little longer.  They're great to putt and half the price of the Titleists.

I was skeptical of the whole "ball fitting" thing before.  Not now.  It saved me a fortune and improved my game.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

sporadic

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 11:59:06 am »
I used to waste play with Pro V1's because...well...they're the best...right?  I was fitted for new irons a while back and, prior to getting that started, I got "fitted" for balls [insert eunuch joke here].  Turns out, I hit Bridgestone E6's more consistently and a little longer.  They're great to putt and half the price of the Titleists.

I was skeptical of the whole "ball fitting" thing before.  Not now.  It saved me a fortune and improved my game.

Pro V1 is by far the worst of the premium golf ball.  I prefer Srixon, but Bridgestone is a close second.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 12:06:54 pm »
Pro V1 is by far the worst of the premium golf ball.  I prefer Srixon, but Bridgestone is a close second.

What about the Pink Lady?

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 12:16:43 pm »

Well, if you can get fitted for balls it's only fair to have that option as well. 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

sporadic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 03:19:28 pm »

Not an option for you HH...it does not come in gutta percha

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 03:35:42 pm »

Really?  Noticably?  Granted my game sucks, but I can not honestly say I find any difference among any new ball I've played.

I've stocked up on $9.99/dozen Calloway Warbirds from Acadamy after a year of trying different balls for shits and grins.  I get the distinct impression that the variances that remain amongst balls available today are primarily only discernable by very good players.  I'm not going to notice +/-5 yards on a drive or "touch" with chip shots around the green.
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 03:44:33 pm »
Really?  Noticably?  Granted my game sucks, but I can not honestly say I find any difference among any new ball I've played.

I've stocked up on $9.99/dozen Calloway Warbirds from Acadamy after a year of trying different balls for shits and grins.  I get the distinct impression that the variances that remain amongst balls available today are primarily only discernable by very good players.  I'm not going to notice +/-5 yards on a drive or "touch" with chip shots around the green.

I can most definitely notice the difference between a hard ball and a soft ball, especially on chips but also with a driver or long irons. I can't tell you that one flies farther than the other or I'm more accurate with one or the other but I can absolutely tell the difference in feel.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregĂșntale a Pedro Navaja

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 03:47:13 pm »
I can most definitely notice the difference between a hard ball and a soft ball, especially on chips but also with a driver or long irons. I can't tell you that one flies farther than the other or I'm more accurate with one or the other but I can absolutely tell the difference in feel.

This.

Plus, I was was hitting different balls in a wired-up net, so that spin rate, launch angle, direction and distance were all measured.  All balls were measured by the same set-up, and the Bridgestone was notably better for me than all the others.