Author Topic: So close....  (Read 17998 times)

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
So close....
« on: September 03, 2011, 08:16:42 pm »
I really feel for you guys.  It must be tough seeing the massive rain shield of TS Lee pirouetting just off to the east.  This is a tough loop to watch (time sensitive):
http://vortex.plymouth.edu/gen_nids.cgi?ident=hgx&pl=n0r&yy=2011&mm=&dd=&hh=&nn=Min&size=1280x960&loop=yes2&zoom=&center=
Typically, the rain shield for landfalling tropical storms constrict during the night as the diurnal minimum deepening takes place but, so far, there is no evidence of that as the rain line has moved west a good 40 miles in the last  hour.  I hope it continues for you guys.

(http://vortex.plymouth.edu/gifs/HGX.N0R.1109040059.1280x960.none..348.gif)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 08:20:35 pm by das »
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: So close....
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 08:27:19 pm »
But golly, watching the clouds is sure fun.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 11:42:18 pm »
diurnal minimum deepening

Now there's a good band name...
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

strosrays

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 01:00:40 am »
It's been raining light-to-moderate here for the last 14 hours.  And it is supposed to all day tomorrow.  No complaints.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 10:08:32 am »
It's been raining light-to-moderate here for the last 14 hours.  And it is supposed to all day tomorrow.  No complaints.

Am I off your shit list now?
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

strosrays

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 03:38:47 pm »
Am I off your shit list now?

You were never on it, except in a general sense.  You weren't the only one of your neighbors wishing for a hurricane in a blasé way, it seemed to me.  Just so you could get your lawn and trees watered.  If you've ever been through a direct hit, or two within three years, you understand why I might get touchy about that.

It'd sorta be like me wishing for snow in the winter, knowing you'd have to go through an ice storm and tree limbs on your house and downed power lines and no electricity for two weeks.  Just so I can have some snow.

As for rain, we are in a drought, too.  The edges of my yard are starting to turn brownish; though, like ETA, I water the trees and slab pretty regularly.  The last I heard, we are close to 40" behind over the last two years.  No way to make that up, unless its the coming of the second deluge or something.  Anyway, a hurricane coming through and dumping 10-15 inches of rain in a day is not what you or I need.  We need the hiigh pressure thing or whatever it is keeping the moisture from the gulf at bay to move, so we can get back to scattered T-storms every afternoon, like it is supposed to be around here in the summer. 

Also, I am supposed to get rain when you don't.  You live in a semi-arid climate.  I'm in a sub-tropical zone.  We normally get 50-60 inches a year.  You get half that.  In a normal year.  Or what used to be a normal year.  I'm not sure what is "normal" anymore.

At any rate, if I was really mad at you, I would threaten you with something more terrifying than force-feeding you Swedish meatballs.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 03:42:44 pm »
Just so you could get your lawn and trees watered.

Yes.  That's all it is.
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 04:00:29 pm »
It's not only fires, it's livelihoods for farmers and ranchers. In the coming months and years if it continues, it may well effect all "non-essential" things like firefighting and bathing in some areas.   

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 04:03:29 pm »
Yes.  That's all it is.

You know you're in a patch of bad luck when a tropical storm increases your fire risk.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 04:09:44 pm »
I burned down my backyard grilling the other day - any advice on dealing with burnt grass?
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 04:16:26 pm »
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 04:16:56 pm »
I burned down my backyard grilling the other day - any advice on dealing with burnt grass?

It'll come up crazy green next year. 

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 04:18:18 pm »
Hopefully by the time my lease is up
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 04:20:37 pm »
Bastrop

The tv crawl is telling people and Colovista and Tahitian Village (Pine Forest GC, essentially) to get the hell out of Dodge.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 04:22:17 pm »
The tv crawl is telling people and Colovista and Tahitian Village (Pine Forest GC, essentially) to get the hell out of Dodge.

So thick it's showing up on radar

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 06:27:26 pm »

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 07:12:26 pm »

Biz: How in the fuck did you manage to do that? Were drinks involved?
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 07:16:05 pm »
Just dry gas and embers - happened while the fire was dying out after I was done, so I didn't see it. Wife took Charles to look out the window, starts yelling that the backyard is on fire. Luckily it was just a patch of dry/dead grass in the middle of the yard, so it pretty much just burned itself out before it got to the house or fence.

Stupid dogs of course love rolling in the ash and tracking it all around the house.
  -  Orson Welles

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 07:19:55 pm »
Dry grass, not dry gas.
  -  Orson Welles

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 08:44:11 pm »
Dry grass, not dry gas.

I knew what you meant. Your Cardinal sure rolled on saturday. I'm hoping that you all have a great season.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 08:45:12 pm »
I knew what you meant. Your Cardinal sure rolled on saturday. I'm hoping that you all have a great season.

I was at the game watching the tigers curbstomp the ducks - not a bad spot Jerry has built himself out in Arlington but it's a fucking nightmare to get out of there afterwards.
  -  Orson Welles

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 08:54:29 pm »
I was at the game watching the tigers curbstomp the ducks - not a bad spot Jerry has built himself out in Arlington but it's a fucking nightmare to get out of there afterwards.

I missed the game. I had to cover an NA meeting for a friend who is attending the NA World Convention in San Diego. I kept up with the game on my Blackberry. It appears that Oregon did a sparkling job of beating themselves. However, given all of the recent controversy surrounding the Tigers coming into the game and the loss of some impact players, I am ecstatic about the win over such a highly ranked team.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 10:12:42 pm »
Bastrop

All of Steiner Ranch (NW of Austin) has been evacuated too.  Crazy.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2011, 10:17:12 pm »
All of Steiner Ranch (NW of Austin) has been evacuated too.  Crazy.

25 homes gone already.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 10:36:14 pm »
Fuck!  300 homes gone in Bastrop and they are saying the fire is 0% contained.  14,000 acres burned so far

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2011, 10:57:21 pm »
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 07:30:29 am »
The morning roundup:

- Steiner Ranch fire was 5-10% contained as of 12:30am.  40 homes burned.
- Bastrop fire is 16 miles long, six miles wide.  Hundreds of homes and half of Bastrop State Park has burned.
- Today's forecast: 20-30mph winds with higher gusts and 30% humidity.  Going to be a long day for firefighters.

But yeah, we just need rain so our grass is green.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 07:35:38 am by Waldo »

Phil_in_CS

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 10:18:43 am »
Fuck!  300 homes gone in Bastrop and they are saying the fire is 0% contained.  14,000 acres burned so far

Including half the acregae at Bastrop State Park. I know some folks that are evaced, and have no word on what's going on. One had to leave so quick she couldn't catch her cat, and ended up driving through flames to get out.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 10:27:00 am »
Some friends of ours just recently sold their house in Bastrop; they found out this morning that it's gone.  Sucks for the new owners.

Someone else I know lives down there and hasn't heard anything official yet, but several of her neighbors have lost their houses so it doesn't look good.

The fire in Bastrop is 1/3 the size of the city of Austin.  Chew on that for a while.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 10:49:57 am »
The fire in Bastrop is 1/3 the size of the city of Austin.  Chew on that for a while.

Last I saw it was 6 miles by 16 miles in size.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:52:11 am by Ron Brand »
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2011, 11:26:12 am »
I don't think it is fair to make it seem like strosrays didn't want it to rain in drought areas.  He didn't want to have to deal with a hurricane, which I totally understand.  I also understand how dangerous the drought makes things.  I grew up in San Antonio.

I totally understand both sides.  The tropical storms can bring a lot of rain to an area once it lands, granted there is no guarantee which way it will go and give the rain.  The tropical storms can also bring a lot of damage because of winds, rains, etc.

Natural disasters suck.  The whole state of Texas needs rain and a lot of it.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2011, 11:40:48 am »
I agree. I completely understood his sentiment, and it hard to understand just how freaking dry is in some parts.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2011, 12:15:20 pm »
I've spent some time in Bastrop and Lost Pines State Parks, as well as visited friends who live in Tahitian Village. Those places are a tinderbox under these conditions. Awful devastation.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2011, 12:34:18 pm »
Last week, the fire at Possum Kingdom Lake, west of Ft Worth, was so bad that it jumped the lake and kept going. Don't remember how many houses and such are gone, sounds like Bastrop is worse.

A couple of the firefighters at Possum Kingdom lost their houses to the fire and kept on fighting so their neighbors wouldn't lose their homes.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2011, 01:11:03 pm »
Last I saw it was 6 miles by 16 miles in size.

96 square miles.  Austin is 271.8 square miles.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2011, 01:44:35 pm »
I don't think it is fair to make it seem like strosrays didn't want it to rain in drought areas.  He didn't want to have to deal with a hurricane, which I totally understand.  I also understand how dangerous the drought makes things.  I grew up in San Antonio.

I totally understand both sides.  The tropical storms can bring a lot of rain to an area once it lands, granted there is no guarantee which way it will go and give the rain.  The tropical storms can also bring a lot of damage because of winds, rains, etc.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Just read that Williamson County has banned all outdoor smoking, burning, and open-flame grilling under threat of fines and/or jail time.

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2011, 04:34:43 pm »
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/blotter/entries/2011/09/05/wildfire_updates.html

25,000 acres and 476 homes, and still spreading. Bastrop County just increased the evacuation area again.

Here's the Bastrop County EMS Feed if you do FB https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bastrop-County-Office-of-Emergency-Management/193202960708177

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2011, 05:29:15 pm »

It's coming.  Not anytime soon though.  This winter will be a bit rainier than last for you guys but that's not saying much.  Winter of 2013 and maybe a bit before will be the big change.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2011, 05:49:19 pm »
Yes.  That's all it is.

The first link was a fire about a mile from our house last week.  These poor people just had another pop up right next to them within the last hour.  Huge billows of smoke out our back window, but it's a little down wind from us so we're in good shape, but I'm afraid they're in a lot of trouble.  Our fire department was all in Steiner.

As of about an hour ago, it is now an arrestable offence to smoke cigarettete outside.

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2011, 06:01:51 pm »
Can you get any pics?

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2011, 06:37:48 pm »
Not too dramatic here but the smell is very strong

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2011, 06:45:21 pm »

What, behind the rabbit?

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2011, 07:43:03 pm »
As of about an hour ago, it is now an arrestable offence to smoke cigarettete outside.

I've always wanted to get my car fitted with Sidewinders, but never more than when I see stupid fuckers flip their butts out the car window.

remy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2011, 08:33:23 pm »

Even down here in Circle C the smell is pretty strong, surprisingly.  Then again, I've smelled smoke here from fires in Mexico and FL in years past... so I guess it's not too shocking.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2011, 01:54:27 pm »
The Houston Press with its finger always on the pulse of the community.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2011, 01:57:17 pm »
I love the poll question.

Would you be willing to weather a direct hit from a tropical storm in order to end the historic Texas drought?
 Yes
 No
 It's in the hands of Rick Perry and God

''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2011, 04:30:06 pm »
... and given that it is already an arrestable offense to smoke in a public building, I see a wave of sick days coming.
Up in the Air

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2011, 04:35:53 pm »
I love the poll question.

Would you be willing to weather a direct hit from a tropical storm in order to end the historic Texas drought?
 Yes
 No
 It's in the hands of Rick Perry and God das

FIFThem
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2011, 04:37:46 pm »

Outside where?  Like, on 6th St?  On any sidewalk?  On your porch? 

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2011, 04:40:01 pm »
Just Williamson County.  Indoor porches and sidewalks are hunky dory. 

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2011, 04:57:41 pm »
Just saw that there is a new one.  Nate.  Hopefully, the Zetas will scare Nate north of the border.   

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201115_5day.html

loganck

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2011, 08:24:59 pm »
Winter of 2013 and maybe a bit before will be the big change.

Is this serious?  You weathernerds (I mean that in the nicest way possible) can predict rain years from now?

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2011, 08:36:25 pm »
Is this serious?  You weathernerds (I mean that in the nicest way possible) can predict rain years from now?

I'm no weathernerd, but the long-range forecasts I've seen seem to think 2012 will be like 2011.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2011, 06:18:21 am »

Yep.  Satellites, computer models, sophisticated instruments...long range weather patterns are well within the realm of atmospheric science these days.  It's no longer as simple as looking outside to see if the grass is wet.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2011, 01:29:44 pm »
We're getting better at it.  The drought currently underway in Texas was not a surprise to anyone (that pays attention to this stuff, anyways...).  Nor were the big snows in the Northeast last winter, the Mid-Atlantic the year before or the very active tropical season so far.

Do a quick interweb search of ENSO or other periodic oscillations like the QBO for info.  Here's a good place to start:
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/enso/

Couple that with emerging space weather research and studies on solar output cycles and you start to get a good sense of basic trends in the global weather cycle.  Not a great sense with hyper-granularity but a good sense.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2011, 01:39:26 pm »
I'm no weathernerd, but the long-range forecasts I've seen seem to think 2012 will be like 2011.

Yup.  upcoming winter will be very similar to last year.  Maaaaaybe just a skootch wetter in Texas but not much.  Biggest snows will be in California, the upper midwest and far Northeast.  Southeast will be warmish again with more rain the farther you go north and the mid-Atlantic wil again be the battleground between warm and cold with the warm usually winning.  Next year, it look like we go back to El Niño (getting away from this wretched La Niña) and get an active southern jet stream bringing pacific and gulf moisture to you in Texas and good cold and moisture up the atlantic seaboard.  Will suck for the west coast though.

strosrays

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2011, 03:50:53 pm »
Yup.  upcoming winter will be very similar to last year.  Maaaaaybe just a skootch wetter in Texas but not much.  Biggest snows will be in California, the upper midwest and far Northeast.  Southeast will be warmish again with more rain the farther you go north and the mid-Atlantic wil again be the battleground between warm and cold with the warm usually winning.  Next year, it look like we go back to El Niño (getting away from this wretched La Niña) and get an active southern jet stream bringing pacific and gulf moisture to you in Texas and good cold and moisture up the atlantic seaboard.  Will suck for the west coast though.

So all this shit is just a natural cycle?  WTF?  I thought my bong BBQ pit was causing it

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2011, 03:57:20 pm »

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2011, 04:01:08 pm »
My money, if I had any, would be on das.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2011, 04:06:49 pm »
Sci-guy says La Nina is back.

Geek-fight?

I believe they're saying the same thing. I think that when das says this

Next year, it look like we go back to El Niño (getting away from this wretched La Niña) and get an active southern jet stream bringing pacific and gulf moisture to you in Texas and good cold and moisture up the atlantic seaboard.

he's talking about 2013 for "next year" (i.e., the winter after the upcoming winter).

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2011, 04:09:57 pm »
I believe they're saying the same thing. I think that when das says this

he's talking about 2013 for "next year" (i.e., the winter after the upcoming winter).

Ah, yes.  My bad.  I thought I was going to have to call one of them Galileo

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2011, 11:22:26 am »
Ah, yes.  My bad.  I thought I was going to have to call one of them Galileo
Yup, we were (are) saying the same thing.  Here is the latest forcast from the NOAA Climate Prediction Center.  It's fugly for you guys in Texas.  That's a technical term, btw.
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.pdf

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2011, 11:24:13 am »
So all this shit is just a natural cycle?  WTF?  I thought my bong BBQ pit was causing it
That's what you get for listening to Al Gore...

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2011, 11:32:20 am »
Yup, we were (are) saying the same thing.  Here is the latest forcast from the NOAA Climate Prediction Center.  It's fugly for you guys in Texas.  That's a technical term, btw.
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.pdf

You have the English version of this for us?

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2011, 11:35:26 am »

The hot and dry ain't going away any time soon.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2011, 11:35:49 am »

Hot and dry, no rain in sight.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Andyzipp

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2011, 11:36:22 am »
The hot and dry ain't going away any time soon.

Like a year.  Or so.  Comeonwinterdecember2012.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2011, 11:38:06 am »
You have the English version of this for us? English, motherfucker!  Do you speak it?!

SZIFY
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2011, 04:43:26 pm »
"Dry Lightning" is a new one to me

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2011, 07:25:29 pm »
"Dry Lightning" is a new one to me
You usually see it in super arid places like the desert southwest or up in dry western mountains like the Sierra Nevada. Dry lightening strikes are the largest producer of wildfires. It happens when the air is so dry in the lower levels that rain from a thunderstorm evaporates on it's way down before it hits the ground but the storm cell still produces cloud-to-ground lightening. You guys need some rain, bad.

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2011, 07:26:57 pm »
You guys need some rain, bad.

Understatement of the decade.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2011, 07:39:26 pm »
You guys need some rain, bad.

There actually is some in the area today. Probably not much, but better than nothing. Naturally, my house was on the edge of the most promising cell, and we got next to nothing.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2011, 08:04:48 pm »
There actually is some in the area today. Probably not much, but better than nothing. Naturally, my house was on the edge of the most promising cell, and we got next to nothing.

You must live near me.  Lots of wind and lightning but nothing more than a few drops.  I've got thunderstorm blueballs.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2011, 08:13:01 pm »
thunderstorm blueballs

I think I saw them at Emo's about ten years ago.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2011, 08:21:38 pm »
Quote from: das link=topic=113367.msg401074#msg401074
It happens when the air is so dry in the lower levels that rain from a thunderstorm evaporates on it's way down before it hits the ground

You could see this on the horizon... Really wild looking.

Outlawscotty

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2011, 10:35:51 am »
Got some out of it.  FYI austro, the river has/had stopped flowing completely above Nichols Landing and the 281 bridge both just recently.  It disappeared on 311 and Rebecca Creek crossing months ago.  Worst since the 50's.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2011, 10:36:35 am »
Got some out of it.  FYI austro, the river has/had stopped flowing completely above Nichols Landing and the 281 bridge both just recently.  It disappeared on 311 and Rebecca Creek crossing months ago.  Worst since the 50's.

My parents say the same thing about the drought of the 50's.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2011, 11:25:35 am »

Yeah, I noticed that the gauges for 311 and Honey Creek both started saying "dry" in late July or early August. They didn't even bother with the 0.0 cfs teaser.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2011, 03:25:33 pm »
You could see this on the horizon... Really wild looking.
Here's a good pic:
http://www.stormeyes.org/tornado/SkyPix/ftsumner.jpg

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2011, 03:45:00 pm »
Here's a good pic:
http://www.stormeyes.org/tornado/SkyPix/ftsumner.jpg

Thats it!  What was really interesting to see, too, was that the lightning started a fire a few miles north of us, so you had the evaporating rain going down mixed with the smoke going up

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2011, 07:13:55 pm »
Holy Crap!
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Texas_Drought_Could_Last_Until_2020_Says_Texas_AM_Expert_130799443.html

Texas Drought Could Last Until 2020, Says Texas A&M Expert
Texas’ historic and lingering drought has already worn out its welcome, but it could easily stay around for years and there is a chance it might last another five years or even until 2020, says a Texas A&M University weather expert

more at link

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2011, 07:33:40 am »
Holy Crap!
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Texas_Drought_Could_Last_Until_2020_Says_Texas_AM_Expert_130799443.html

more at link

Irresponsible, alarmist comment.  People will see his title, assume that this is credible and make material life/property decisions based on a comment like this.  The research regarding decadal drought in the lower and upper midwest is still in its infancy with preliminary conclusions all over the place.  It's still 5-10 years away from definitive conclusion:
http://journals.ametsoc.org/page/CLIVAR_Drought

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2011, 07:49:40 am »
Oh, and, look at this re: the Bastrop wildfire. Absolutely amazing how fast these things move:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhJeDYQVtdQ

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2011, 08:08:19 am »
One argument in that article that doesn't persuade me and seems weak is the is the heat argument, made by using temperature as the measure (# of 100 degree days in Wichita Falls, etc.).  The temps were higher and the humidities were lower.  For someone who spends a decent amount of time outside, this summer was no more "unbearable" than others. 

remy

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2011, 10:43:13 am »
Oh, and, look at this re: the Bastrop wildfire. Absolutely amazing how fast these things move:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhJeDYQVtdQ

Amazing but not surprising, the winds from Lee were ridiculous that day.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2011, 10:50:22 am »
I've read a number of non-fiction works that speak extensively about the 50-60 year long "drought" cycle in central Texas.  The cycle is 50-60 years of declining precipitation, followed by 10-15yrs of steady precipitation.  This cycle was documented going back to the original Mission settlements (250+ yrs?). 

The one aspect of the current drought that does concern me is the drought impact in Houston.  I have never read or seen anything that indicates a sustained drought in Houston.  It's obviously possible, but never seen any documentation on the history of weather patterns similar to the current one. 
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2011, 11:00:36 am »
The one aspect of the current drought that does concern me is the drought impact in Houston.

The aspect that concerns me is the increased population. There is a much greater demand for water than there was in the mid-50s. Forget about 2020, things are going to be ugly by next fall if there's no significant rain.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2011, 12:02:10 pm »
The aspect that concerns me is the increased population. There is a much greater demand for water than there was in the mid-50s. Forget about 2020, things are going to be ugly by next fall if there's no significant rain.

Killing off the rice crops next year will help.  We should be good in LCRA area for another year, but beyond that...

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2011, 03:46:36 pm »
Amazing but not surprising, the winds from Lee were ridiculous that day.

Carlos is a windbag, but blaming wild fires on him? Ouch.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2011, 03:50:40 pm »
Carlos is a windbag, but blaming wild fires on him? Ouch.

Only 60 Ks this year.  He's no Soriano.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2012, 11:11:36 am »

OK, so, a large part of the imprecise business of forecasting is eating crow when you are wrong.  While my forecast for Texas may have felt right in the Houston area and in the south and far west portions of the state, large areas of the state saw impressive positive departures from normal precipitation for meteorological winter, flying in the face of normal La Nina climatology.  I could not be happier for you guys. 

https://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p3mCU2sxng_Cpc4OP4RGwX8XVEZN6iXpxxYqs867o0jY7DHw2VOR4v-lVd9unLrHs-WKMqNMvHsZ6qyrAvNC9iw/Texas%2011-12%20Winter.png

Still hoping for El Nino, and a switch back to more consistent winter rains across the whole state for you guys next winter.  This should become apparent (or not) in July or August.

Andyzipp

« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2012, 11:12:25 am »
So should I invest in new sod this spring or not?

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2012, 11:18:22 am »

Excellent question. I've been thinking about this, too.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2012, 11:20:06 am »
Excellent question. I've been thinking about this, too.

I think that part of my "yard" is going to get replaced with jasmine or something similar.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2012, 11:22:32 am »
Ooooo, that's tough.  It's likely that the drought, in some form, will persist through the summer.  The rains to the north and east of you have helped bring the fire dangers down as they have moistened the top layers of soil and the atmosphere some but just under the surface is still very dry.  If you want to plant, you should be prepared to water to get the roots established.  If that's even allowed for you guys down there.

If you live on the east side of town, things will be markedly better.  Houston will be on the edge of a pretty big battleground between improving drought conditions to the east and drought persistance to the west.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/season_drought.gif

strosrays

« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2012, 04:30:45 pm »
Ooooo, that's tough.  It's likely that the drought, in some form, will persist through the summer.  The rains to the north and east of you have helped bring the fire dangers down as they have moistened the top layers of soil and the atmosphere some but just under the surface is still very dry.  If you want to plant, you should be prepared to water to get the roots established.  If that's even allowed for you guys down there.

If you live on the east side of town, things will be markedly better.  Houston will be on the edge of a pretty big battleground between improving drought conditions to the east and drought persistance to the west.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/season_drought.gif

Care to offer any predictions for hurricane season?  I need to know how much Bacardi and grenadine to lay in for the summer.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2012, 07:15:02 pm »
Care to offer any predictions for hurricane season?  I need to know how much Bacardi and grenadine to lay in for the summer.

I really need das to make sure that there are no hurricanes in the Houston area at the end of September. We've got a wedding on tap, and we haven't invited Rita or Ike or any of their kin.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2012, 09:00:25 pm »
I really need das to make sure that there are no hurricanes in the Houston area at the end of September. We've got a wedding on tap, and we haven't invited Rita or Ike or any of their kin.

What an added bit of excitement to the planning.  Is it an outdoor wedding?

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2012, 09:35:12 pm »
What an added bit of excitement to the planning.  Is it an outdoor wedding?

No, it's indoors, so we've got that going for us.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2012, 10:09:46 pm »
Looks like we're in for a good bit of rain later this week.

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2012, 10:41:54 pm »
Looks like we're in for a good bit of rain later this week.

I just hope it doesn't storm Saturday morning.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2012, 03:31:15 am »
I think that part of my "yard" is going to get replaced with jasmine or something similar.
Just sod it. Or Jasmine.
Up in the Air

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2012, 11:52:16 am »
Raining in Denton County. And still the HOA will get on my toches about the weeds around the edges of the yard. Sorry, guys, I ain't pullin' nettles in the rain.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

strosrays

« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2012, 08:51:21 pm »
And now we got this solar flare headed for us at a gazillion miles per hour.

"We're fucked, " said 11 Rabbit.