Author Topic: Tailgating Time  (Read 9138 times)

drew corleone

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
Tailgating Time
« on: September 02, 2011, 01:46:59 pm »
So since we all like to drink beer, watch sports, and eat food, I figured it would be worthwhile to have a tailgate-centered thread.

UT fans without a home are welcome to stop by our tailgate (18th and San Jacinto, by the Waller Creek bridge and the porta-potties). I'll be the loud guy in burnt orange.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Tailgating Time
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 01:52:45 pm »
I'll be the loud guy in burnt orange.

That'll narrow it down. Beak 'em, birds!
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

94CougarGrad

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 02:03:27 pm »
It breaks my heart that we cannot be at the Rob this weekend.  We will be cheering for victory from afar. Go Coogs! Beat the Bruins!
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 03:19:50 pm »
So since we all like to drink beer, watch sports, and eat food, I figured it would be worthwhile to have a tailgate-centered thread.

UT fans without a home are welcome to stop by our tailgate (18th and San Jacinto, by the Waller Creek bridge and the porta-potties). I'll be the loud guy in burnt orange.

I may just take you up on this. I'm tailgate-less now that my former fraternity has been temporarily disbanded at UT.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 05:19:08 pm »
Texans games...Platinum lot...Row A...spots 9-11.  Anyone is welcome. There's always cold Shiner.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 06:40:30 pm »
I may just take you up on this. I'm tailgate-less now that my former fraternity has been temporarily disbanded at UT.

And what house was that, Mark?
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 07:13:20 pm »

I Tappa Keg
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 09:09:46 pm »
Just realized this afternoon that we will be driving down 35 to Austin with the game crowd. Meh, traffic... but oh well.

TCU was not prepared for the Baylor they got tonight.

Anyone who wants to find me at Coogfans this fall will have to catch me at homecoming or in November at the SMU game. All are welcome and it's always a good time. Nice to have St. Arnold's as a sponsor.

*edited. Damn phone.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:24:30 pm by 94CougarGrad »
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 09:14:53 pm »
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 12:39:16 am »

Beta Theta Pi.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 12:40:12 am »
Just realized this afternoon that we will be driving down 35 to Austin with the game crowd. Meh, traffic... but oh well.

TCU was not prepared for the Baylor they got tonight.

Anyone who wants to find me at Coogfans this fall will have to catch me at homecoming or in November at the SMU game. All are welcome and it's always a good time. Nice to have St. Arnold's as a sponsor.

*edited. Damn phone.

TCU looked terrible on D. Baylor's D is awful, which isn't news.

Became a battle of the schlock at the end, but an exciting battle.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 09:46:50 am »
So we can't see the Rice game?  Fuck

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 11:46:14 am »
So we can't see the Rice game?  Fuck

How does the LHN work? Does it come as part of the basic package with TW or Comcast or DirectTV or Uverse...? Do you have to pay extra to have it added like HBO or MLB ot NFL?

I'm tailgating it down at the Slack Shack so all I have is the free TW feed. At least it includes FOXSW, ESPN1 & ESPN2, and Versus. Go Coogs!
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 11:59:15 am »
How does the LHN work?

When does the LHN work?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 12:00:30 pm »
I have a channel for the LHN, but it says I don't have the subscription. Trying to figure out what that means.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 12:01:03 pm »
Or better yet... Does the LHN work?

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 12:23:32 pm »
So the Aggies are leaving the conference because they're tired of living in the shadow of an organization that can't figure out how to get its games televised. At least in the SEC they'll be the slow step-brother of teams who can actually successfully broadcast their games.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 12:43:22 pm »
If there was a RON you can bet those eggheads at Rice could figure out how to get their games televised.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 12:47:59 pm »
So the Aggies are leaving the conference because they're tired of living in the shadow of an organization that can't figure out how to get its games televised. At least in the SEC they'll be the slow step-brother of teams who can actually successfully broadcast their games.

Amazingly, the Aggies' move somehow raises the collective IQ in both conferences. 

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 12:58:10 pm »
If there was a RON you can bet those eggheads at Rice could figure out how to get their games televised.

Yeah, but getting them on the radio? You can forget about that.
Y todo lo que sube baja

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 12:59:33 pm »

Leebron would have sold it off by now.

Andyzipp

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 01:42:20 pm »
Amazingly, the Aggies' move somehow raises the collective IQ in both conferences. 

Facts!  Snide comment!  Entrenching!

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 02:16:46 pm »
How does the LHN work? Does it come as part of the basic package with TW or Comcast or DirectTV or Uverse...? Do you have to pay extra to have it added like HBO or MLB ot NFL?

I'm tailgating it down at the Slack Shack so all I have is the free TW feed. At least it includes FOXSW, ESPN1 & ESPN2, and Versus. Go Coogs!

ESPN has only successfully sold it to Verizon, Grande Communications and a few other very small cable companies.  The others are balking at the price ($.40/customer on standard tier) so very few will be able to see tonight's game in Austin, much less the rest of the country.
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 02:19:44 pm »
Facts!  Snide comment!  Entrenching!

I was hoping for more indignation.  I will go poke sticks elsewhere.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 02:37:11 pm »
I have a channel for the LHN, but it says I don't have the subscription. Trying to figure out what that means.

Apparently, it means I need to stop being a cheapskate and upgrade to the Ultimate Package or whatever. I'll go see if its playing at the bar.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 04:11:20 pm »
UHou looking good in the first half. Fantastic touchdown run by one of the guys when he looked like he was stopped two different times.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 05:10:16 pm »
UHou looking good in the first half. Fantastic touchdown run by one of the guys when he looked like he was stopped two different times.

Good first half, not so much third quarter.  The announcer keeps stating that UCLA stated a statement drive. 

He stated that.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 05:25:47 pm »
Sure are long commercial breaks in this UH game.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 05:52:00 pm »
South Florida is beating up on Notre Dame. Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 06:09:55 pm »
If any kind soul should happen upon on online stream of LHN fro the Texas game tonight and feel like PM'ing me the info, I am willing to provide photoshop services and/or beer. Thank you for your consideration.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2011, 06:25:50 pm »
If any kind soul should happen upon on online stream of LHN fro the Texas game tonight and feel like PM'ing me the info, I am willing to provide photoshop services and/or beer. Thank you for your consideration.

Me too.   All the NYC Exes viewing parties were cancelled since none of the 3 Horn bars could guarantee the game.

I will also trade you JackAstro's shoppin' skills and beer.

Oh, and to the greedy fucks at my alma mater in charge of this joke of a fucking idea...fuck you for holding me hostage.  You're a public university, not a pro sports team.   This is bullshit.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2011, 06:43:54 pm »
Me too.   All the NYC Exes viewing parties were cancelled since none of the 3 Horn bars could guarantee the game.

I will also trade you JackAstro's shoppin' skills and beer.

Oh, and to the greedy fucks at my alma mater in charge of this joke of a fucking idea...fuck you for holding me hostage.  You're a public university, not a pro sports team.   This is bullshit.

I shelled out $7 for a month of access to audio streams. Instead of the pre-game (which they're broadcasting on the Spanish stream) I'm currently enjoying Eminem. No joke. This athletic department is fucking retarded in terms of technology. Fucking idiots.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2011, 06:49:18 pm »
I shelled out $7 for a month of access to audio streams. Instead of the pre-game (which they're broadcasting on the Spanish stream) I'm currently enjoying Eminem. No joke. This athletic department is fucking retarded in terms of technology. Fucking idiots.

I did the exact same thing you did before I realized it just links to the RICE broadcast (not Craig), which of course is not a proper link.

Well.  Oiled.  Machine.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 07:35:19 pm »
I did the exact same thing you did before I realized it just links to the RICE broadcast (not Craig), which of course is not a proper link.

Well.  Oiled.  Machine.

I swear to fuck that when you go here

http://www.texassports.com/allaccess/

and try to tune into the English version of the game you get some satellite hip hop station. I just heard Eminem again. I am not fucking making this up. I paid US American money to these stupid fuckers to listen to shit that is free over the airwaves and they are too motherfucking stupid to put the motherfucking feed online. NEVERFUCKINGMIND a way for someone to pay money and subscribe to the LHN ONLINE as if we were in the 20th century. No, no, no, Winehouse that shit. Not only can you not WATCH the fucking game you can't even LISTEN to it, even if you've bought the fucking right to do so.

I fucking hope Rice wins.
Y todo lo que sube baja

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2011, 08:08:28 pm »
So I can just imagine how self-satisfied the Longhorn media braintrust must be right now. Yessir, Cletus, we're beaming the game out to hundreds if not thousands of households in the greater Hays County area. You're right, Luther, outstanding work. Why, even them folks listening over the innertubes are thwarted. HEY! Wait a damn minute! The Spanish broadcast is working? Replace that feed with Narco Corridas immediately!
Y todo lo que sube baja

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 08:23:51 pm »
So I can just imagine how self-satisfied the Longhorn media braintrust must be right now. Yessir, Cletus, we're beaming the game out to hundreds if not thousands of households in the greater Hays County area. You're right, Luther, outstanding work. Why, even them folks listening over the innertubes are thwarted. HEY! Wait a damn minute! The Spanish broadcast is working? Replace that feed with Narco Corridas immediately!

To be able to maximize profits by exploring new revenue streams is one thing, but to do it with such style while delivering so little, well, that is fucked up.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2011, 08:40:11 pm »
To be able to maximize profits by exploring new revenue streams is one thing, but to do it with such style while delivering so little, well, that is fucked up.

You know what's funny? The Spanish broadcast is 'non-premium,' as in free. Yes, I paid $7 to listen to some fucking bullshit I could have listened to for free in the first place. I had no idea Greg Davis had been laterally transfered to the multimedia department.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2011, 08:44:50 pm »
Greg Davis had been laterally transferred

<insert obvious punchline here>

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2011, 08:52:15 pm »

This was the Mob's big punchline of the night

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 08:57:29 pm »
This was the Mob's big punchline of the night

And rightly so.  Of course, I am far from the first person to make that joke. 

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 09:42:38 pm »
Speaking of jokes, someone woke Luther and Cletus up and they have the UT broadcast on in English. Imagine that.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2011, 09:45:00 pm »
Craig or Rice?

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2011, 09:48:19 pm »
Craig or Rice?

Craig. You may not know this but Rice no longer has a radio station.
Y todo lo que sube baja

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2011, 09:49:25 pm »
Craig. You may not know this but Rice no longer has a radio station.

On the bright side, if you want to listen to a broadcast of someone eating toast boogie on over to ktru.org.
Y todo lo que sube baja

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2011, 09:51:45 pm »
Another thing, it's amazing what a fantastic idea I can get of a football game listening to these guys. That said I wouldn't mind a little Eminem in the background just to give the broadcast a little rhythm.
Y todo lo que sube baja

drew corleone

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2011, 12:38:35 am »
Our tailgate kicked ass.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2011, 12:12:50 am »
Our tailgate kicked ass.

I'll only take a little credit.

When do I get my appearance fee check?

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2011, 12:25:41 pm »

And we'd hire half of then to run the HCN.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2011, 12:31:45 pm »

the LHN has never been about football. it is not going to carry more than 2-3 games/season.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2011, 04:51:42 pm »
the LHN has never been about football. it is not going to carry more than 2-3 games/season.

Ok.   Not a joke or anything, but then what is the point?   I'm an Ex living out of the region that would have provided me all that stuff for free on FSSW anyway and I wouldn't pay forty cents a month extra for it either. 

Why would I need to see more propaganda-style interview shows with the coaches and third tier womens sporting events?   If it's not about football and basketball, who exactly did they think they'd get to pay for this?   

I'm not saying you're wrong (quite the opposite; I'd expect you to know more about this than anyone on here), but if the point of this for-pay network wasn't football, it makes even less sense than it did before.    What the hell was ESPN thinking?

Andyzipp

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2011, 05:13:58 pm »

Based on the contract I read, ESPN may feel differently.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2011, 09:50:16 pm »
Ok.   Not a joke or anything, but then what is the point?   I'm an Ex living out of the region that would have provided me all that stuff for free on FSSW anyway and I wouldn't pay forty cents a month extra for it either. 

Why would I need to see more propaganda-style interview shows with the coaches and third tier womens sporting events?   If it's not about football and basketball, who exactly did they think they'd get to pay for this?   

I'm not saying you're wrong (quite the opposite; I'd expect you to know more about this than anyone on here), but if the point of this for-pay network wasn't football, it makes even less sense than it did before.    What the hell was ESPN thinking?

Other than the random football and basketball games it will carry, you will not watch the LHN.  No one will but it won't matter.  UT people will get the network to say they have it.  The whole idea is to squeeze even more money out of the "I went to UT" brand.  95% of the people who get the network will not be provided any additional programming or entertainment than what they would normally want.   

And it's going to work, assuming nothing is sacrificed to go to the PAC or ACC (?!?).  Dodds is brilliant.

drew corleone

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2011, 10:35:33 pm »
I'll watch the hell out of the LHN.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2011, 10:37:00 pm »
Some random Google-ing produces the price of $339k for a 30-second ad for a ESPN Sunday-Night NFL game. If there are 20 minutes of commercials in a 2.5 hour game (not sure if that's right), then that's 40 ads. Lets say its $100k per 30 seconds, that's $4 million per game. Add in basketball, baseball, the Mack Brown show and whatever else and it probably makes financial sense.  

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2011, 10:45:10 pm »
Let me preface this by saying that the LHN makes me uneasy, but I would happily lay out 100 dollars US right this very moment for the baseball coverage alone. I recognize this puts me in the minority of the DirecTV subscribers in Texas, but fuck it – that's probably enough to subsidize every customer in my neighborhood. I've got a buddy a few blocks down who'll take carry of all the U-verse people. Send us the bill, and let's make this shit happen.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2011, 09:54:01 am »
I'll watch the hell out of the LHN.

i will too.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

drew corleone

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2011, 10:55:11 am »
I'll only take a little credit.

When do I get my appearance fee check?

Ha! Keep bringing the eye candy and there will continue to be delicious ABW with your name on it.

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2011, 10:59:13 am »

What's in it for ESPN - just enough money sports to pay the bills, but probably more importantly it tightens the relationship with the current #1 brand in college athletics.

What's in it for UT - brand exposure, bling, and a huge advantage for every sport that doesn't generally get airtime.  I would think that this might be enough to put UT over the top in the Director's Cup.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2011, 12:56:56 pm »
Ha! Keep bringing the eye candy and there will continue to be delicious ABW with your name on it.

Done and done!

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2011, 01:43:00 pm »

I'm not much to look at, but I can procure a keg of Beerworks at some point...
Say hi on the Twitter

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2011, 01:44:17 pm »
What the hell was ESPN thinking?

I would apply this question to their carrier negotiations.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

drew corleone

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2011, 01:57:05 pm »
No shit? You could be the first rookie to be named tailgate MVP since 2006.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2011, 03:10:05 pm »

Sounds like I need to up my eye candy invites.

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2011, 05:46:47 pm »

Really and truly. Making websites occasionally comes with perks.
Say hi on the Twitter

drew corleone

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2011, 05:50:16 pm »
I shared a few PMs with one of the guys (Mark, I think) over on Shaggy. His response was that they'd love to sponsor some tailgates, but they aren't set up to give away product just yet (which makes sense, considering how hard it is for them to keep it in stock at the dozen or so retailers that carry it).

drew corleone

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2011, 02:23:09 pm »
Really and truly. Making websites occasionally comes with perks.

BTW... their website is very well done, so if that was y'alls work... well done.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2011, 07:53:32 pm »
Tailgating atmosphere on Greek circle at Apogee was a great atmosphere. I got ribbed heartily for wearing red rather than green, but they promptly ceased when I pointed out my green mardi gras beads and gave them Shiner Blonde. The Coogs have their hands full tonight, largely because they keep tripping over their penii.