Author Topic: September callups  (Read 4010 times)

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
September callups
« on: September 02, 2011, 09:25:55 am »
Shuck, Wallace, Johnson, Lyles, Towles and Harrell
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
Re: September callups
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 10:20:38 am »
guess everyone else was already up
forever is composed entirely of nows

roadrunner

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 11:03:46 am »
No Springer?  Ugh, classic Astros being conservative with their prospects...

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 12:00:51 pm »
No Springer?  Ugh, classic Astros being conservative with their prospects...

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic here, or if you're just a dumbass. I'm going with the latter.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 12:03:34 pm »
I believe there are 25 games left.   What is the over/under on the # of at bats Brett Wallace gets, 40? 50?
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 12:10:09 pm »
I believe there are 25 games left.   What is the over/under on the # of at bats Brett Wallace gets, 40? 50?

I'll take the under, which is what I'm hoping for. I like our new lineup. He had his chance this season.

Andyzipp

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 12:14:25 pm »
I'll take the under, which is what I'm hoping for. I like our new lineup. He had his chance this season.

Lee really should sit, and Wallace should get the rest of the time at first.  There is zero to gain with Lee playing every day.

Of course I started thinking that in 2009.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 12:18:31 pm »
Lee really should sit, and Wallace should get the rest of the time at first.  There is zero to gain with Lee playing every day.

I see your point. But Carlos has his average up to .276, and he's looked better at the plate, even hitting a few balls hard. I don't see Wallace as the answer at 1B-no power. While he hits minor league pitching for a high average, I think that he still hit only one homerun down there.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 12:18:39 pm »
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic here, or if you're just a dumbass. I'm going with the latter.

Strong bet on sarcasm here.

Andyzipp

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 12:24:33 pm »
I see your point. But Carlos has his average up to .276, and he's looked better at the plate, even hitting a few balls hard. I don't see Wallace as the answer at 1B-no power. While he hits minor league pitching for a high average, I think that he still hit only one homerun down there.

He may not be the answer, but Lee should be considered a sunk cost at this point (next year is the last year of his contract, yes?  Please?).  Hell, let Clemens play there.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 12:24:57 pm »

Unless it is a left-handed pitcher.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 12:25:47 pm »

And Lee has tons of power still.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 12:28:44 pm »
There really isn't much of a reason to play Carlos everyday, but I'd guess that's what Mills will do.  He will probably platoon Martinez and Wallace.  And play Lee in LF on days Wallace is playing.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 12:33:16 pm »
And Lee has tons of power still.

I hear you, but, yes, he has demonstrated more power than Wallace. I used to love Wallace, although I've always been concerned about his lack of demonstrated power. Just because someone *looks* like he'll hit for power eventually doesn't always make it so. His power numbers at AAA are only so-so. Look, if Mills chooses to run him out there everyday, even against southpaws, I'll root madly for him to succeed.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 12:37:41 pm »
There really isn't much of a reason to play Carlos everyday, but I'd guess that's what Mills will do. 

Assuming Lee is not protected by 10-5 rights (which I think we hashed out last year that he is not - given his partial no trade earlier in his contract) then 1 yr of Lee with Houston chipping in $$$ will be more tradeable than before.  To stir interest with another team, he has to play.  That's not to say I think this WILL happen.  But it's enough reason to keep running him out there.  

Plus, with more than 1 or 2 other hitters getting it done at the plate, I think Lee is finally starting to see some decent pitches.  I could be (and probably am) wrong but he doesn't seem to be chasing as much.  Hot streak?  No clue.  But there are definitely runners on far more as of late.  That leads to better opportunities, as I understand it.  
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

strosrays

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 12:41:32 pm »
I hear you, but, yes, he has demonstrated more power than Wallace. I used to love Wallace, although I've always been concerned about his lack of demonstrated power. Just because someone *looks* like he'll hit for power eventually doesn't always make it so. His power numbers at AAA are only so-so. Look, if Mills chooses to run him out there everyday, even against southpaws, I'll root madly for him to succeed.

Not saying they are anything like the same hitter, but didn't Bagwell develop his power at the major league level?  I remember when he was acquired there was talk that his previous year in the minors he only hit 4 HRs or something like that.  I don't think one had to be a big-time scout to see Bags had the potential, but we remember the 40-HR-a-year guy, not the skinny kid he started out as.

To me, Wallace looks plenty big enough to develop HR power.  I am not sure about the mechanics of his swing, etc.  But I'd give him another chance.  Looking forward at this point, what other options are there at 1B?

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 12:48:38 pm »
Not saying they are anything like the same hitter, but didn't Bagwell develop his power at the major league level?  I remember when he was acquired there was talk that his previous year in the minors he only hit 4 HRs or something like that.  I don't think one had to be a big-time scout to see Bags had the potential, but we remember the 40-HR-a-year guy, not the skinny kid he started out as.

To me, Wallace looks plenty big enough to develop HR power.  I am not sure about the mechanics of his swing, etc.  But I'd give him another chance.  Looking forward at this point, what other options are there at 1B?

Then let's give him another chance. But play him against lefties to see if he can hit them at this level. It's not like we're trying to win games at this point. The team could avoid 100 losses by going 16-9, but I'm not suggesting that this should trump player development at this point.

SaltyParker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 01:04:42 pm »
but didn't Bagwell develop his power at the major league level? 

Bagwell had 6 HRs in 731 minor ABs
Wallace has 47 HRs in 1223 minor ABs

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 01:08:11 pm »
There really isn't much of a reason to play Carlos everyday, but I'd guess that's what Mills will do.  He will probably platoon Martinez and Wallace.  And play Lee in LF on days Wallace is playing.

Martinez is getting way too much playing time. Astros need Lee and Michaels in the lineup every night during the stretch run. Millsie will see to it.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 01:09:11 pm »
Not saying they are anything like the same hitter, but didn't Bagwell develop his power at the major league level?  I remember when he was acquired there was talk that his previous year in the minors he only hit 4 HRs or something like that.  I don't think one had to be a big-time scout to see Bags had the potential, but we remember the 40-HR-a-year guy, not the skinny kid he started out as.

Let's not have this conversation.
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 01:14:44 pm »
Let's not have this conversation.

Why not?

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 01:15:07 pm »
Bagwell had 6 HRs in 731 minor ABs
Wallace has 47 HRs in 1223 minor ABs

At Age 24-avg-obp-slg
Bagwell - .273-.368-.444
Wallace - .268-.345-.375

Of course, Bagwell played in the Dome. I don't think that means anything except Wallace has time to figure things out.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 01:16:58 pm »
Martinez is getting way too much playing time. Astros need Lee and Michaels in the lineup every night during the stretch run. Millsie will see to it.

Absofuckinglutely.

strosrays

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 01:19:26 pm »
At Age 24-avg-obp-slg
Bagwell - .273-.368-.444
Wallace - .268-.345-.375

Of course, Bagwell played in the Dome. I don't think that means anything except Wallace has time to figure things out.

One thing to like about Wallace re: his home park is he appears to have the ability to drive the ball to the opposite field.  Or he did.  At times.  When he played.

sporadic

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 01:40:34 pm »
Absofuckinglutely.

Wait, I thought that comment was over-the-top sarcastic.  Was it serious?  If so, then I am at a complete fucking loss.  Why would you not play Martinez every day?  I feel like I may be entering some sort of bizarro world here...

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
September callups
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 02:01:03 pm »
Wallace may have been Houston's first baseman of the future but we probably won't ever know after Millsie mindfucked him Cooper style.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 02:01:09 pm »
Wait, I thought that comment was over-the-top sarcastic.  Was it serious?  If so, then I am at a complete fucking loss.  Why would you not play Martinez every day?  I feel like I may be entering some sort of bizarro world here...

Your sarc meter must requre a recharge between uses.
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2011, 02:08:04 pm »

A special phenomenon known as "two people being sarcastic at the same time."

Or did I just completely miss your joke?  Fuck.  This is getting complicated.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 02:19:18 pm »

Whatever you do, don't cross the streams.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

sporadic

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2011, 02:29:15 pm »

my feeble mind could not process the funomenon

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2011, 02:46:04 pm »
In all likelihood the Astros right now see Wallace as, at best, a 2-3 year placeholder until Singleton is ready. Given that, I think it's likely that Carlos will play almost every day the rest of the year- who knows, if he winds up at .280, with 18 HR, 85-90 RBI, maybe they'll only have to eat about $15- of the $18-mil he's owed next year to trade him.

So in that sense, it's kind of like cutting into Wallace's time now to ensure that Wallace and Martinez both can play full-time next year (and save the team a few million bucks too). I mean, especially with a new FO likely taking over, there's almost no way Lee is on the team in 2012, right?
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2011, 04:09:35 pm »
I mean, especially with a new FO likely taking over, there's almost no way Lee is on the team in 2012, right?

Selig may have other plans. Meet the new front office, same as the old front office.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011, 05:29:10 pm »
A little late to the discussion, but I think the power will come for Wallace. Maybe not Bagwellian, but 20 or so HR type power. He hits the ball hard on a line. It's just a matter of time before he starts hitting the bottom half of the ball on occassion.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2011, 06:14:58 pm »

oh come on.  I've even posted pretty frequently this year and I still don't get the benefit of the doubt.