Author Topic: First an earthquake, now a hurricane  (Read 4598 times)

Houston

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
First an earthquake, now a hurricane
« on: August 26, 2011, 08:36:42 am »
To my East Coast Astros brothers, batten down the hatches this weekend. It's the fitting ending to a crazy week.

And assuming we don't have to deal with a locust plague next, will anybody here be attending the Astros game on Sept. 10 at Nationals Park? I'll be there with my kids to celebrate my son's 14th birthday, so it'll be nice to meet someone else who's rooting for the Brick-and-Sand 9.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it." - Rogers Hornsby

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: First an earthquake, now a hurricane
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 09:28:52 am »
I was planning on going to the Friday night game, but I haven't bought tickets yet. If the capitol area survives its apocalyptic onslaught, I'll probably be there on Saturday.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:31:01 am »
I was planning on going to the Friday night game, but I haven't bought tickets yet. If the capitol area survives its apocalyptic onslaught, I'll probably be there on Saturday.

You may have to go to Milwaukee to see the game.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 02:01:42 pm »
To my East Coast Astros brothers, batten down the hatches this weekend. It's the fitting ending to a crazy week.

And assuming we don't have to deal with a locust plague next, will anybody here be attending the Astros game on Sept. 10 at Nationals Park? I'll be there with my kids to celebrate my son's 14th birthday, so it'll be nice to meet someone else who's rooting for the Brick-and-Sand 9.

I'll be there!  Where are your tix?
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Houston

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 08:05:29 am »
I'll be there!  Where are your tix?

Section 109, Row W
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it." - Rogers Hornsby

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 11:47:56 am »

You guys have any extra D batteries you can loan me? Every place we've tried here (NY state) since yesterday is out of 'em...

My wife and I really want to go down and see the Astros play in DC sometime- we both love the DC museums, and I haven't been to the new ballpark yet- but I doubt we'll be able to fit it in this time. Maybe next year.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 12:51:21 pm »
Every place we've tried here (NY state)

I wouldn't go to NJ for any reason either.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 02:33:20 pm »
You guys have any extra D batteries you can loan me? Every place we've tried here (NY state) since yesterday is out of 'em...

My wife and I really want to go down and see the Astros play in DC sometime- we both love the DC museums, and I haven't been to the new ballpark yet- but I doubt we'll be able to fit it in this time. Maybe next year.

I saw a Nats game this year.  With the abundance of "must-see" parks around the country, this definitely could be skipped.  It isn't bad, but go to Camden Yards instead.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 06:19:21 pm »
I saw a Nats game this year.  With the abundance of "must-see" parks around the country, this definitely could be skipped.  It isn't bad, but go to Camden Yards instead.
Yeah, Camden is great. Been there several times. If the Astros were playing the O's I would definitely consider going again. I also really want to see a game at PNC Park, although in general I'm not tripping over myself to go to Pittsburgh.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 07:19:38 pm »
Yeah, Camden is great. Been there several times. If the Astros were playing the O's I would definitely consider going again. I also really want to see a game at PNC Park, although in general I'm not tripping over myself to go to Pittsburgh.

You're making a mistake.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 07:52:33 pm »
You're making a mistake.

I agree with Chuck. PNC is in the top 3 of US ballparks, certainly the surprise challenger to the top spot. Camden yards is okay, but, to me, it and Arlington both suffer from their design theme being aped by all the parks built after it.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 08:02:36 pm »
I agree with Chuck. PNC is in the top 3 of US ballparks, certainly the surprise challenger to the top spot. Camden yards is okay, but, to me, it and Arlington both suffer from their design theme being aped by all the parks built after it.

Not only that but Pittsburgh is a seriously underrated city. I'm not suggesting you stop what you're doing and move there permanently but it is a fine city that merits repeated visits.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 08:14:35 pm »
Not only that but Pittsburgh is a seriously underrated city. I'm not suggesting you stop what you're doing and move there permanently but it is a fine city that merits repeated visits.
Big fan of the Warhol Museum? Seriously, I've never been to Pittsburgh, but I have heard whispers of cool things going on there.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 08:25:17 pm »
Big fan of the Warhol Museum? Seriously, I've never been to Pittsburgh, but I have heard whispers of cool things going on there.

It's an old city with lots of history and character and lots of cool neighborhoods that people haven't fucked up yet. AND, PNC Park is one of the best places in the major leagues to see a game.
Y todo lo que sube baja

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 11:15:55 pm »
+1
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 08:11:32 am »

I certainly enjoyed it during my visit.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 10:08:49 am »
I certainly enjoyed it during my visit.

I was hoping you'd weigh in as I know you've recently spent a decent amount of time there and enjoyed it.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 10:31:50 am »
I was hoping you'd weigh in as I know you've recently spent a decent amount of time there and enjoyed it.

Didn't see as much of the city as I would have liked, under the circumstances, but that will just lead to a repeat visit. I definitely want to see PNC Park.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 11:37:27 am »
Didn't see as much of the city as I would have liked, under the circumstances, but that will just lead to a repeat visit. I definitely want to see PNC Park.

There are lots of semi-isolated, unique neighborhoods. It reminds me of Cincinnati, just prettier.
Y todo lo que sube baja

strosrays

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 04:47:30 pm »
There are lots of semi-isolated, unique neighborhoods. It reminds me of Cincinnati, just prettier.

You HAVE to drink an Iron City while there, even though it tastes like run-off from one of the coke slag heaps.  It's a Pittsburgh thing.

Also, "jagov" is a term of endearment.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 05:37:07 pm »
Y todo lo que sube baja

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 05:41:09 pm »
Uh, did you say 'yutes'?
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 11:06:40 pm »
Uh, did you say 'yutes'?

Yes, ya honah. Dese two yutes...
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 04:25:45 pm »
It looks clear for tonight, so I'll be at the game. I got invited to an event tomorrow, so I'm not sure I'll be able to make it to Saturday's game.

Houston

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 07:55:25 am »
It looks clear for tonight, so I'll be at the game. I got invited to an event tomorrow, so I'm not sure I'll be able to make it to Saturday's game.
The weather for Saturday's game was nice, but the game itself was even better.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 11:31:11 am »
The weather for Saturday's game was nice, but the game itself was even better.
I didn't go to yesterday's game so no one can pin that on me.  Friday, that's another story.  So, I sez to my wife, "we gotta stay for the extra innings, can't leave the boys in the lurch all by themselves..."
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 11:34:08 am »
I didn't go to yesterday's game so no one can pin that on me.  Friday, that's another story.  So, I sez to my wife, "we gotta stay for the extra innings, can't leave the boys in the lurch all by themselves..."

Woah, woah, hey, woah there
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright