Author Topic: Road Trip!  (Read 7903 times)

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
Road Trip!
« on: July 28, 2011, 12:04:37 pm »
Headed to Chicago in the middle of next month (for business) and am planning to stay and extra day and catch a game at Wrigley (they are playing the Braves).

Would appreciate any advice on places to eat/stay/sightsee.

Thanks!
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Road Trip!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 12:14:20 pm »
I have a lot of eating advice - any particular interests?
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Craig

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 12:39:23 pm »
Headed to Chicago in the middle of next month (for business) and am planning to stay and extra day and catch a game at Wrigley (they are playing the Braves).

Would appreciate any advice on places to eat/stay/sightsee.

Thanks!

Don't bother driving to Wrigley; take a cab or bus or train or something. Wrigley has some nice history I guess, but other than that it's a shithole. There's an ancient T-shirt stand across from the stadium, which is where I got my "Cardinals Suck" shirt.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 12:39:26 pm »
Biz is going to recommend Alinea and Charlie Trotter's.

You were talking about Indian food the other day, Jane; there's a whole shitload of Indian places, all good from what I've been able to determine, up and down Devon Avenue.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 12:41:14 pm »
Wrigley has some nice history I guess, but other than that it's a shithole.

Thats what I walked away with.
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 12:57:46 pm »
Biz is going to recommend Alinea and Charlie Trotter's.

You were talking about Indian food the other day, Jane; there's a whole shitload of Indian places, all good from what I've been able to determine, up and down Devon Avenue.

Haven't been to Trotters.

We've been going to Chicago quite a bit recently (and going again mid-September), so have a wide range of suggestions. Actually did a one week foodblog, half of which was in Chicago for another forum, so links to some pictures/commentary below as well.

Pizza - I've only tried Lou Malnati's and Original Unos, but Lou Malnati's was much better . http://egullet.org/p1823818

Hot Dogs - Hot Doug's is the "original" for crazy and delicious hot dogs, but last trip we went to Franks and Dawgs in Lincoln Park and I thought it was as good or better (and you don't have to stand in line)  http://egullet.org/p1824136

Italian Beef - If you haven't tried this sandwich, it is quite good. We went to Mr. Beef but there are plenty of options (Portillo's you can get good Italian Beef and Chicago style dogs)

Rick Bayless - I think Xoco (his fast casual place) is probably the overall most enjoyable of the three - breakfast or lunch. http://egullet.org/p1823940

If you like beer, Publican in the West End has great food and awesome beer selection. (No pictures but had great dinner in September 10). Had a great meal last trip at the Purple Pig, which is more casual small plates and delicious  http://egullet.org/p1824040

If you are going to have a car and are at all interested in Polish, highly recommend Smak Tak (it's a ways out of town but more or less on the way to the airport).http://egullet.org/p1824141 My wife is half polish and we've eaten quite a bit of Polish food (including in Poland) and this was probably the best.

I've spent a lot of time doing research, so if you have other wants I can probably at least point you in the direction of something. All of the above are near central Chicago except Smak Tak and Hot Doug's

In terms of activities - the Shedd aquarium was excellent, Lincoln Park Zoo was fun (and free), and highly recommend the Chicago Architecture Foundation boat tour.

Hotels - I've had very good luck getting deals on Hotwire for $100 or so off of the best published rate at pretty nice places.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 01:01:14 pm by BizidyDizidy »
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 01:02:47 pm »
Wrigley has some nice history I guess, but other than that it's a shithole.

I took the tour. Standing on the grass is nice, but being in the visitors dugout is really very cool. Whole lotta great players have been in that shithole.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 01:09:25 pm »
There's some very, very good Thai food in Chicago, too.
Y todo lo que sube baja

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 01:12:08 pm »
If you like goat, this is a place I'd really like to try on my next trip:

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=207232
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 01:16:03 pm »
I took the tour. Standing on the grass is nice, but being in the visitors dugout is really very cool. Whole lotta great players have been in that shithole.

Back when I was living in North Carolina, playing in the Denial League, we played at the old Durham Athletic Park (yes, where they filmed the movie), home of the Bulls from 1926-1994.  A couple of times I got all nostaglic about standing at the plate/sitting in the dugout, thinking about all of the players who did the same over the years.  Many future major leaguers did, but also many men who were long forgotten by baseball.  I would have loved to have heard just a few of the stories that old yard could tell. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 01:21:18 pm »
Back when I was living in North Carolina, playing in the Denial League, we played at the old Durham Athletic Park (yes, where they filmed the movie), home of the Bulls from 1926-1994.  A couple of times I got all nostaglic about standing at the plate/sitting in the dugout, thinking about all of the players who did the same over the years.  Many future major leaguers did, but also many men who were long forgotten by baseball.  I would have loved to have heard just a few of the stories that old yard could tell. 

And by being there you added your own.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 01:27:11 pm »

Costner stood right here!  COSTNER!
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 01:36:48 pm »
If you like goat, this is a place I'd really like to try on my next trip:

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=207232

I've never been to that place but I surely will my next trip. I was pretty sure you'd know about that most excellent site. I've been following it for years.

Have you been to La Oaxaqueña on North Milwaukee? That place is no joke.
Y todo lo que sube baja

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 01:40:12 pm »
I've never been to that place but I surely will my next trip. I was pretty sure you'd know about that most excellent site. I've been following it for years.

Have you been to La Oaxaqueña on North Milwaukee? That place is no joke.

I haven't - whole list of Mexican places I'd like to try - Cemitas de Puebla, Mixteco, the Birerria - weekends aren't long enough!
  -  Orson Welles

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 01:40:22 pm »
I've only been to Chicago once, but I spent about 3/4 of a day wandering around the Art Institute of Chicago museum which I really enjoyed. I spent the other 1/4 of that day in the Chicago museum of Science and Industry which some people apparently like, but I didn't care for.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 01:41:22 pm »
A friend of mine swears by Gino's East for pizza. They've been on Man Versus Food for their "disc" of sausage they put on the pie. My older son bugs me to mail-order that.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 04:30:35 pm »
I've only been to Chicago once, but I spent about 3/4 of a day wandering around the Art Institute of Chicago museum which I really enjoyed. I spent the other 1/4 of that day in the Chicago museum of Science and Industry which some people apparently like, but I didn't care for.

The Art Institute is really one of the world's best museums.  If you make the art institute in the morning, you can then catch the el up to Wrigley.  It makes a great day.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Savage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 11:23:07 am »
A friend of mine swears by Gino's East for pizza. They've been on Man Versus Food for their "disc" of sausage they put on the pie. My older son bugs me to mail-order that.

My preferred deep dish here.  I don't enjoy the disc myself but you can choose crumbled instead.  Just did Charlie Trotter's kitchen table a few weeks ago for our anniversary and Topolobampo last night.  I really enjoy Topo -- just the right amount of food where alinea and trotter's can sometimes put me over the edge.  Graham Eliot is pretty good as well - very whimsical.  Second the recommendations for Hot Doug's.  Johnnie's Italian Beef out in Oak Park is legendary and you could check out the Frank Lloyd Wright studio at the same time.  Also Gene and Jude's (hot dogs) not too far from ORD.  Living in Chicago is not kind to the waistline.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 11:51:20 am »
We keep tellin' ya to quit hanging out with the Superfans and their lack of portion control...

Isn't the "cheeborgah cheeborgah" place of SNL fame in Chicago?
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 01:16:26 pm »
Isn't the "cheeborgah cheeborgah" place of SNL fame in Chicago?

Yep. The Billy Goat Tavern. Nice place to duck in for a cool one if you're hanging around the neighborhood.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 03:30:10 pm »
Yep. The Billy Goat Tavern. Nice place to duck in for a cool one if you're hanging around the neighborhood.

Definitely worth the visit. And if you're at all interested in architecture, I can't recommend the Frank Lloyd Wright tour in Oak Park highly enough. And if you're into zoos, the Brookfield Zoo (just a bit southwest of Oak Park) is really good, too.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

drew corleone

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 10:49:52 am »
Billy Goat Tavern is quite possibly the worst cheeseburger I have ever eaten. The entertainment value made it worth a visit, but the food sucks.

Echo the Shed Aquarium and Art Institute recs.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 11:11:42 am »
Billy Goat Tavern is quite possibly the worst cheeseburger I have ever eaten. The entertainment value made it worth a visit, but the food sucks.

Echo the Shed Aquarium and Art Institute recs.

It wasn't anything special, but mine was nowhere near the worst I've ever had. Reasonably run-of-the-mill.

The Art Institute and the Wright tours are very much worth your time.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 10:14:46 am »
I have a lot of eating advice - any particular interests?

Hey BzDz, how many of these restaurants have you been to?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 10:24:20 am »

I'm having a hard time understanding why Masa is not on that list.
Y todo lo que sube baja

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 10:27:53 am »

Calculator broke.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 10:29:47 am »

The current chef's four course dinner is only $98.  

And it looks fucking delicious.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 10:32:37 am »

Yeah, but you're obviously a pleb if you don't add the caviar service.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 10:33:03 am »

I almost booked a flight to New York. Sorry, this one:

http://masanyc.com/

But those guys in SF do seem to know what they're doing.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 10:37:14 am »
I almost booked a flight to New York. Sorry, this one:

http://masanyc.com/

But those guys in SF do seem to know what they're doing.

So Masa is a perfectly acceptable name for a Japanese restaurant, a Mexican restaurant, and a bay area farm to table restaurant. 

Hell, there's probably a pulled pork restaurant near Slave Market in Charleston that could get away with the name.  What a versatile word.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 10:38:14 am »
Yeah, but you're obviously a pleb if you don't add the caviar service.

After perusing the Web site I'm eagerly tossing in the extra $17 for the pork menu. 

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 10:44:09 am »
Hell, there's probably a pulled pork restaurant near Slave Market in Charleston that could get away with the name.  What a versatile word.

You're thinking of Massa. That place used to be good but it's gone downhill just a bit over the last year or two. It used to carry the KKK rating but it's now down to KK.
Y todo lo que sube baja

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 11:44:26 am »

Highest on the list to hit (but not necessarily in order): 2, 14, 22
  -  Orson Welles

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 01:08:35 pm »
Don't bother driving to Wrigley; take a cab or bus or train or something. Wrigley has some nice history I guess, but other than that it's a shithole. There's an ancient T-shirt stand across from the stadium, which is where I got my "Cardinals Suck" shirt.

Didn't drive.  Took the red line.
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 08:17:19 pm »

Holy shit, I have work to do.

And yeah, I don't know what they're thinking on Masa.  I know 4 people that have eaten there, all in a party of 2, none of them for less than $1500.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 08:19:42 pm »

And yeah, I don't know what they're thinking on Masa.  I know 4 people that have eaten there, all in a party of 2, none of them for less than $1500.

Where the fuck you been?
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2011, 08:28:17 pm »
Where the fuck you been?

On the list or in general?

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2011, 08:30:53 pm »
On the list or in general?

Either one. But we've missed you here as usual when you take a break from us. You've missed a lot of changes and pissing and moaning, although our new kids have pumped some enthusiasm back into the place.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2011, 08:30:55 pm »

Highest on the list to hit (but not necessarily in order): 2, 14, 22

Per Se is worth it.   Bernadin is not, but you have to go.   Del Posto has no business having a Star; someone will have to explain the fascination with Batali to me some day.   I've yet to eat in one of his places I liked (in fairness, haven't eaten at Babbo yet).   The food was definitely good at Del Posto, but not Star-quality and certainly not better than any of a few hundred other places in this city.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2011, 08:33:22 pm »
Either one. But we've missed you here as usual when you take a break from us. You've missed a lot of changes and pissing and moaning, although our new kids have pumped some enthusiasm back into the place.

I've been here the entire time.   I read the site a few times a day and follow the GZ during games.  I just stopped posting.

From the list: 
Per Se
Mina
Daniel
Bernardin
Moto
Corton (horrible, worst 2 star on Earth)
La Grenouille
Del Posto
Eleven MadPark (if you haven't been, you must go)

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2011, 08:38:01 pm »
 Bernadin is not, but you have to go.   

Eric Ripert seemed like such a nice guy in Treme that I would feel obligated.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2011, 08:46:36 pm »
Haven't been to EMP since re-concepted - I'd put that high on list too.

Alinea best meal we've ever had.
  -  Orson Welles

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2011, 08:47:07 pm »

No, no, you have to go.   It's the cathedral of seafo...blahblahblah.   It's also rushed service, no matter how busy they are, multiple courses that lack pop, and say!  Is that sea bass?   How original, Eric.  How.  Original.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2011, 08:49:12 pm »
Haven't been to EMP since re-concepted - I'd put that high on list too.

Not even similar.  Forget what you knew.  That place is dead to you now.  Go there now; it's spectacular and the entire Danny Meyer flagship experience is awesome.   The GM, the tour, the free drinks, the booze parlour after dinner.   I moved to NYC for two reasons: to get away from rednecks and to eat.   We eat pretty fucking well.   Eleven is my wife's favorite place so far and one of the few Michelin Stars we've eaten at multiple times.   

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2011, 08:51:42 pm »
If I didn't live in Dallas and have a 9 month old, I'd be there tomorrow.
  -  Orson Welles

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2011, 08:53:05 pm »
If I didn't live in Dallas and have a 9 month old, I'd be there tomorrow.

You couldn't get a res with that little notice anyway.

Next time you're up here, I highly recommend it.   In fact, if you're ever up here again and want some recs on fine dining places, lemme know.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2011, 08:55:46 pm »
Appreciate it - have been heavily slanted to Chicago lately (Alinea and Next) and then going out to California a bunch when football starts. Need to figure out how to squeeze NYC in (preferably sans boy once he stops nursing)
  -  Orson Welles

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2011, 08:58:00 pm »
Appreciate it - have been heavily slanted to Chicago lately (Alinea and Next) and then going out to California a bunch when football starts. Need to figure out how to squeeze NYC in (preferably sans boy once he stops nursing)

Take the boy to Robert's Steakhouse.    It's the only NYC place on the list I ain't been to.   Go on.  Google it.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2011, 08:58:34 pm »
Have you been to Roberta's in brooklyn?
  -  Orson Welles

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2011, 08:59:16 pm »
He is very fond of boobies
  -  Orson Welles

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2011, 11:17:48 pm »
Have you been to Roberta's in brooklyn?

He doesn't go to Brooklyn.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2011, 05:36:24 am »
He doesn't go to Brooklyn.

Why would I go to Brooklyn?

I lose my magic superpowers if I cross over or under a body of water.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2011, 11:18:55 am »

Biz: If you get close enough to SFO and would like to meet up, I'm in.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2011, 03:28:30 pm »

Late to the party (been busy with riots and cricket) and maybe missing some sarcasm*, but I think Eric Ripert is a giant cocksucker.

* Never watched Treme.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2011, 09:58:28 am »

They didn't have desert?
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2011, 09:32:49 pm »
They didn't have desert?

Apparently not.   From what I've heard from reliable sources, if you get the proper tasting menu with pairings, it's a solid $800/person deal.

For what it's worth, we haven't even tried to make a reservation there yet.  Not because we aren't sure it's phenomenal, which I'm sure it is, but because $1,600 for a meal better be the best fucking thing I've ever eaten and I've never heard a single person say Masa is the best thing they've ever eaten.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2011, 10:29:17 pm »
Are you making sure to include Patsy's East Harlem?
  -  Orson Welles