Author Topic: New Orleans foodie recommendations  (Read 3181 times)

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
New Orleans foodie recommendations
« on: August 10, 2011, 12:51:26 pm »
First trip to New Orleans and need some foodie advice. Looking to avoid the tourist traps and find the real deal. Expensive or inexpensive, swank are dive, don't care. Looking for creole, cajun, soul food, etc.
RO RASROS!

Guinness

Re: New Orleans foodie recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 12:53:06 pm »
ger grad...paging 94cougergrad...please pick up the blue courtesy phone...

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 01:06:05 pm »
My all-time favorite restaurants in New Orleans are Antoine's and Galatoire's. Sit downstairs only at Galatoire's (I had my own waiter at both places), and don't let the maitre d' sit you in the front room at Antoine's-that's where they put the tourists. Insist on going further back and act like you've been there before. My favorite lunch dive in New Orleans is Domilise's Po-Boys uptown on Annunciation Street. I also can strongly recommend another locals spot: Clancy's.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

94CougarGrad

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 01:10:31 pm »
Happy's recs are spot on, and I bumped my N'awlins vacation thread from last month for you. Also good are The Gumbo Shop, Magazine Po-boy, Mahony's (more po-boys... get the Peacemaker), and K-Paul's, which serves lunch a few days a week. Domilise's is great, and some on this site extol the virtues of Parkway, but I've not been there yet.

Mother's on Poydras serves a little of everything Cajun, Creole, and Soul. The bread pudding is divine but not for diabetics. You must eat there at least once. Acme is good enough, but it's touristy, so don't go.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 01:14:39 pm by 94CougarGrad »
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 01:29:39 pm »
My all-time favorite restaurants in New Orleans are Antoine's and Galatoire's. Sit downstairs only at Galatoire's (I had my own waiter at both places), and don't let the maitre d' sit you in the front room at Antoine's-that's where they put the tourists. Insist on going further back and act like you've been there before. My favorite lunch dive in New Orleans is Domilise's Po-Boys uptown on Annunciation Street. I also can strongly recommend another locals spot: Clancy's.

I agree in full.  

I would add Jacques I'mo's on Oak Street with the suggestion that you go on a Tuesday when the Rebirth Brass Band is playing at the Maple Leaf next door.  

"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 01:32:04 pm »
I agree in full.  

I would add Jacques I'mo's on Oak Street with the suggestion that you go on a Tuesday when the Rebirth Brass Band is playing at the Maple Leaf next door.  

Seconded.

Andyzipp

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 01:37:20 pm »
Not foodie, but make your way to the Camellia Grill on South Carrollton.  

Great diner food, including burgers, breakfast and chocolate freezes.It's also a nice tour on the St. Charles Line to get there if you take the trolley.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 01:56:33 pm »
Not foodie, but make your way to the Camellia Grill on South Carrollton.  

Great diner food, including burgers, breakfast and chocolate freezes.It's also a nice tour on the St. Charles Line to get there if you take the trolley.

Their chili omelet is greatest hangover food of all time. 

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 02:10:21 pm »
I think we once arrived at a consensus regarding Pascal's Manale. I'm ambivalent about the barbecue shrimp, their signature dish, but their oysters on the half shell were the best Gulf oysters I have ever had.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregĂșntale a Pedro Navaja

headhunter

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 02:10:36 pm »
First trip to New Orleans and need some foodie advice. Looking to avoid the tourist traps and find the real deal. Expensive or inexpensive, swank are dive, don't care. Looking for creole, cajun, soul food, etc.
http://www.liuzzas.com/
My wife grew up in New Orleans and loves this place. It's full of locals and the food is good and reasonably reasonably priced. Not high end dining but just good food done well. Bring cash, as I'm pretty sure they don't take credit cards.
my probation officer is real proud of me
I drive an Olds 88 got the devil on a leash...
I'm going out West...

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 02:14:31 pm »
I think we once arrived at a consensus regarding Pascal's Manale. I'm ambivalent about the barbecue shrimp, their signature dish, but their oysters on the half shell were the best Gulf oysters I have ever had.

I've only had the shrimp once, as an app. I'd be happy just to go stand at the bar and rap with the shucker while the oysters keep coming.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 02:15:16 pm »
Yeah, keep cash on hand, as several of the po-boy shops we went to only take cash. As does the Creole Creamery, which makes some good ice cream.
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 02:16:14 pm »
I've only had the shrimp once, as an app. I'd be happy just to go stand at the bar and rap with the shucker while the oysters keep coming.

That is an unassailably sound strategy.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregĂșntale a Pedro Navaja

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 02:20:56 pm »
It's also a nice tour on the St. Charles Line to get there if you take the trolley streetcar.

Andyzipp

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 02:29:59 pm »

I'm from Houston.  Anything involving public transportation frightens and confuses me.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 02:37:20 pm »
Upperline is a cool, funky place in Uptown just off St. Charles. I know the owner's daughter and they are Nawlins through and through. Haven't been there in a few years but I can't imagine it's declined.

Our friends took us here in May and it was fantastic. Not any of the cuisines you mentioned but I'm pretty sure the pommes frites were cooked in duck fat.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
New Orleans foodie recommendations
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 03:02:42 pm »
Galatoire's is a don't miss Frecnh Quarter nostalgia trip. Haven't been there in awhile but it used to be coat and tie required except for priests - no tie but they still had to have a coat. Also no reservations, wait in line outside - tough when it rains.
Bayona is superb and Brigstens is a great experience.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Noe

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 03:36:44 pm »
You don't want touristy?  Well, damnit... you'll get touristy and damn well like it!

Cresent City Brewhouse

The Red Stallion beer I had there once was the best tasting beer and the pilsner there was one of the best I've ever had.  At that time, they supposedly claimed to have a beirmiester (master brewer) on staff who brought his family secret to the micro-brewery.  Oh, and the alligator tail was out of this world good!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 03:42:18 pm by Noe in Austin »

chandler44

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 03:40:11 pm »
We like Cafe Maspero in the quarter.  Pretty cheap and everything we've gotten there has been good.
Living is easy with eyes closed.

Guinness

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 03:58:32 pm »
Looking to avoid the tourist traps

But you are, in fact, a tourist.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 04:02:22 pm »

All the more reason to avoid traps.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 04:05:17 pm »
Don't think twice, it's alright.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 06:10:13 pm »

Yes, but he doesn't want to dine with the masses in the 3rd class cabin in case the lower decks are scraped by a traveling iceberg.

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 09:56:33 am »
Yes, but he doesn't want to dine with the masses in the 3rd class cabin in case the lower decks are scraped by a traveling iceberg.

Exactly!  Thanks for all of the recommendations. My list got very long, very fast. Gonna need to add a couple more weeks to the trip to fit it all in!
RO RASROS!