Author Topic: Sat Night Game  (Read 2455 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Sat Night Game
« on: April 23, 2011, 01:38:22 pm »
Anyone interested in meeting up to watch the game tonight?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Sat Night Game
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 02:13:02 pm »
Sure.   Volare on W 4th?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 02:15:53 pm »
Sure.   Volare on W 4th?

Too fancy. Know any slimy places in Jersey?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 03:00:07 pm »
Too fancy. Know any slimy places in Jersey?

That will be showing the Spurs game?  I doubt it.   

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 05:13:56 pm »
Is there an Time Warner station in Austin showing the Astros game tonight? Looks like the Spurs have hijacked FSN, 1639.
RO RASROS!

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 06:28:06 pm »
That will be showing the Spurs game?  I doubt it.   

Back when the Rockets were regularly in playoff contention and I gave a fuck about the NBA (a long time ago indeed) I went into a bar on North Bedford just before McCarren Park. It was called the Turkey's Nest and the bartender was named Artie. Artie drank an enormous amount of vodka, the kind of vodka you get in those giant plastic jugs. There must have been some sort of superstition involved in my choosing that place because it was a shithole of the finest variety.

Anyway, I amble in there and get Artie's attention. Goodman barkeep, might you please re-tune that television to the basketball game? Artie looked at me like I'd lost my mind. GAME'S OVAH, KNICKS WON! Yes, yes, sir, but there's another game on that captures my interest... GAME'S OVAH, KNICKS WON!

That's another thing, the Knicks winning a playoff game. You can see how long ago this was.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 07:44:48 pm »
Is there an Time Warner station in Austin showing the Astros game tonight? Looks like the Spurs have hijacked FSN, 1639.

TW 77. Cable shopping fans are bitching and moaning.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 09:19:34 pm »
GAME'S OVAH, KNICKS WON!

Good lord, man, how old are you?

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 11:03:45 pm »
Good lord, man, how old are you?

I can do Artie's voice reasonably accurately but you'd just think I was aping a Jerky Boys character. One day I was in a Korean grocery over in the West Village and I heard a voice I would have sworn was Sol Rosenberg. He was even apologizing to the Koreans. He'd left something in the store, his eyeglasses surely, and had returned in a futile search for them. I'm sorry! I'm sorry! he kept repeating. I'm like, Come on, one of those guys is in here pulling some stunt, I mean it was Sol Rosenberg. I turn around and it's this fat thirty year old dude in a knockoff Members Only jacket and four days worth of bedhead. I'm sorry!
Y todo lo que sube baja

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 12:41:25 pm »
Back when the Rockets were regularly in playoff contention and I gave a fuck about the NBA (a long time ago indeed) I went into a bar on North Bedford just before McCarren Park. It was called the Turkey's Nest and the bartender was named Artie. Artie drank an enormous amount of vodka, the kind of vodka you get in those giant plastic jugs. There must have been some sort of superstition involved in my choosing that place because it was a shithole of the finest variety.

Anyway, I amble in there and get Artie's attention. Goodman barkeep, might you please re-tune that television to the basketball game? Artie looked at me like I'd lost my mind. GAME'S OVAH, KNICKS WON! Yes, yes, sir, but there's another game on that captures my interest... GAME'S OVAH, KNICKS WON!

That's another thing, the Knicks winning a playoff game. You can see how long ago this was.
From everything I've heard, the Turkey's Nest is still a shithole. Never been in, but I saw a fight spilling out of there one time; I had just finished playing softball at the park. I think it was about 11am on a Saturday.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 01:42:16 pm »
From everything I've heard, the Turkey's Nest is still a shithole. Never been in, but I saw a fight spilling out of there one time; I had just finished playing softball at the park. I think it was about 11am on a Saturday.

That sounds about right. If it was a Saturday then there wouldn't have been any Hasidic guys in the brawl which is too bad.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 04:10:37 pm »
That sounds about right. If it was a Saturday then there wouldn't have been any Hasidic guys in the brawl which is too bad.
Why, you have a former landlord you were hoping wound up with a broken jaw?
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 09:42:18 pm »
Why, you have a former landlord you were hoping wound up with a broken jaw?

Funny. My landlord was a Puerto Rican guy named Peter. He and his brother-in-law Willie used to do quite a bit of work around the building. Peter and Willie. Willie was a handful. Willie got taken in after his reckless driving resulted in the death of a disabled person. Willie was driving a van transporting disabled people to and fro. I can scarcely think of a worse job for Willie. Anyway, he was fucked up on something or another and he slammed into something or another and some poor fucker in a wheelchair got loose of the van and bit it. Peter got to the hospital quicksmart and somehow slipped Willie some clean urine.

It was Willie who introduced me to Freddie the Painter. I'll tell a few stories about that idiot some other time.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 08:55:24 pm »
Freddie the Painter.

Get the fuck out.  You know F the P?