Author Topic: Kosher food in Houston  (Read 2913 times)

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
Kosher food in Houston
« on: March 04, 2011, 08:26:13 am »
I have a consertive jewish friend (really, not me) that is coming to H-town in April and knows nothing about the town.  He and I were chatting about food and he wondered what his options were.  Any suggestions from the Jewish contigent on the board?  He's also going to to the Pads day game on the 17th.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Kosher food in Houston
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 09:56:30 am »
http://kosherhouston.org/category/kosher-in-houston/dining/

I've been to none of those places.  Also, everyone has different definitions of kosher.  What's his?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 10:38:58 am »
I have a consertive jewish friend (really, not me) that is coming to H-town in April and knows nothing about the town.  He and I were chatting about food and he wondered what his options were.  Any suggestions from the Jewish contigent on the board?  He's also going to to the Pads day game on the 17th.

Tell him that Kosher is sooooooooooooo BCE and then give him a hot dog, and not fucking hebrew national either.

drew corleone

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 02:40:06 pm »
Hebrew National dogs are greatness.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Kosher food in Houston
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 03:46:09 pm »
Eat the Hebrew National and you'll get shpilkes in your genecktecessoink.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 10:49:49 pm »
Madras Pavillion is actually pretty good.  Not change-your-life good, but I like that a free dosa comes with the buffet.   Totally worth it.

I recommend.   Again, not Star-quality, but for an Indian lunch buffet, its nice to have a South Indian choice and I know some Kosher friends that appreciated it being there.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 11:54:37 am »
Wow. That's a surprisingly small number of Kosher places for a city the size of Houston.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 01:07:14 pm »
Anyone else remember Alfred's? I used to go to the one on Stella Link back in the 60s. Long time gone.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 01:11:28 pm »
Anyone else remember Alfred's? I used to go to the one on Stella Link back in the 60s. Long time gone.

Can we bring it back?  With those prices?
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 08:16:59 am »
http://kosherhouston.org/category/kosher-in-houston/dining/

I've been to none of those places.  Also, everyone has different definitions of kosher.  What's his?

Pretty strict but I barely know what that means.  He won't eat at an already kosher establishment during Passover that has not been cleaned and certified that all leavened products have been removed and the place "cleaned" prior to the holiday.  He also will not ever again use a dish or utinsil that has been washed in a dishwasher with dishes and utinsils that have touched non-kosher food.  He is excited to try this place:
http://www.suziesgrill.com/

Thanks for the suggestions, all.  You've made me sound a little less ignorant than I actually am.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 09:04:55 am »

Kahn's in the Village is his son.   We ate there, but it's not really all that amazing.  It's really just a sandwich shop (not a real deli) and it's ok, but not great.   I heard Alfred's was quite a bit better.

It's not kosher, but Kenny and Ziggy's near the Galleria is a pretty fucking solid Jewish deli.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 10:07:50 am »
I lived in a house off Stella Link and Bellfort my last 2 years of school, and the Metro ride to and from school took me past Alfred's every day. Alfred's was good. I was sad when it closed.
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 10:18:19 am »
Can't believe this whole thread has gone along without mention of Katz' Deli.  Personally, I can't stand the place, but it's got kosher stuff and it's open 24/7.

Also, for Indian food you really can't do any better than Narin's Bombay Brasserie on the northbound feeder of the west loop between Richmond and Westheimer.  It's usually chock full of Indians - the ladies typically dressed up in traditional garb which makes it very colourful - and the food is awesome.  I heartily recommend getting a side dish of their phaal sauce, and then putting it on fucking everything!  I have not had the cajones yet to order a straight phaal (it's an off-menu item because it's at the top of the heat ladder), but that shit is extraordinary.  Miss Limey even suggested I use it on the sausage meat in breakfast tacos.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 10:21:24 am »
I nearly brought up Katz's, but they food ain't so cheap.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 10:30:50 am »
Can't believe this whole thread has gone along without mention of Katz' Deli.  Personally, I can't stand the place, but it's got kosher stuff and it's open 24/7.

Also, for Indian food you really can't do any better than Narin's Bombay Brasserie on the northbound feeder of the west loop between Richmond and Westheimer.  It's usually chock full of Indians - the ladies typically dressed up in traditional garb which makes it very colourful - and the food is awesome.  I heartily recommend getting a side dish of their phaal sauce, and then putting it on fucking everything!  I have not had the cajones yet to order a straight phaal (it's an off-menu item because it's at the top of the heat ladder), but that shit is extraordinary.  Miss Limey even suggested I use it on the sausage meat in breakfast tacos.

That has a real chance to be my lunch spot on the Saturday after Opening Day. Thanks!

Anyone else interested?
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 12:36:54 pm »
Can't believe this whole thread has gone along without mention of Katz' Deli.  Personally, I can't stand the place, but it's got kosher stuff and it's open 24/7.
Disgusting.

Also, for Indian food you really can't do any better than Narin's Bombay Brasserie on the northbound feeder of the west loop between Richmond and Westheimer.  It's usually chock full of Indians - the ladies typically dressed up in traditional garb which makes it very colourful - and the food is awesome.  I heartily recommend getting a side dish of their phaal sauce, and then putting it on fucking everything!  I have not had the cajones yet to order a straight phaal (it's an off-menu item because it's at the top of the heat ladder), but that shit is extraordinary.  Miss Limey even suggested I use it on the sausage meat in breakfast tacos.

Delightful.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."