Author Topic: 2011 Astros MiLB storylines...  (Read 6604 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
2011 Astros MiLB storylines...
« on: February 27, 2011, 06:47:41 pm »
With the 2011 season almost upon us, I was curious to see what the major 'storylines' y'all will be paying attention to this season are.  For example, here are a some of mine:

- Can J.D. Martinez do it again (he's been out of this world for the past two seasons now, and is pretty much on everyones radar.  While I don't think a so-so season from J.D. will necessarily prove he's a bust or organizational guy, I do think that a repeat of the past two seasons performances will prove beyond a doubt that he is 'for real'...);

- How will Jordan Lyles adjust to Triple-A ball this season, and when will he make his major league debut;

- Can Jose Altuve continue to climb the organizational ladder (as one of my favorite Astros minor leaguers, I'm hoping the kid continues to surprise folks);

- Who is Ariel Ovando;

- Will Jio Mier prove that 2010 was an enigma, and how will Jay Austin fare this season;

- Is Dallas Keuchel the bulldog-type innings eater that can be a solid middle of the rotation type starter for the Astros in the future;

- Can Telvin Nash and Koby Clemens keep up the power and cut down on the K's;

- Can Tanner Bushue, Jordan Lyles, and Mike Foltynewicz add a couple of ticks to their fastballs;

Etc., etc., etc...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 06:56:43 pm by OregonStrosFan »
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Hornstros

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Astros MiLB storylines...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 12:51:02 am »
a couple more....

Will Tommy Shirley continue to pitch like he did last season? 

Can the members of that Tri-Cities championship team go on to be successful as a team at Lexington (or potentially Lancaster i guess)?

Will the defensive transition to the infield for Delino Deshields Jr. and Michael Kvasnicka affect their development offensively?

What 2B prospects will be assigned to what team?   There's a lot of PT to go around to DDJ, Enrique Hernandez, Jimmy Paredes, and Jose Altuve

Can Yordany Ramirez be effective on the mound?

Will that Moon guy that we signed outta Korea a couple years back play full season ball?

I'm real excited about seeing what Nash does in full season ball
Reading Richard Justice and respect level for Richard Justice are inversely related

astrosfan76

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 09:23:08 am »
Good lists.

Will Steele finally play more than half a season?  Will he start to reach the potential the club sees?

Will home-cooking be the salve for Seaton's troubles?

pots

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 11:44:05 am »
Will anyone explain to Heath that additional As mean more difficulty?

And on a non-player specific note, will we start to see the winning on all levels start to show yet?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:47:31 am by pots »

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 10:58:32 pm »
What kind of player is JB Shuck- MLB 4th OFer, decent MLB starting CFer, or neither?

Can Mier bounce back?

Can Meyer bounce back?

Can Locke or Gaston get back on track and position themselves as prospects?

I too will be curious to see how the Valleycats championship players do this year, including Austin Wates, Jorge de Leon and Carlos Quevedo.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 01:41:07 am »
Can Meyer find his glove?
Up in the Air

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 11:50:57 am »
Nice Chron article reveals that the Astros had Biggio work with Deshields this spring on 2B technique, while Bagwell helped Telvin Nash, who will probably split time between OF, 1B, and DH this year. So I guess those positional transitions are two pretty MiLB storylines to follow as well...
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 08:11:46 pm »
Not that anyone gives a shit but I like Telvin Nash. I like his approach at the plate and I like his defensive versatility. He's only 20 years old. I have a lot more confidence that he'll develop into a major league player than I do, say, Mier.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 08:32:11 pm »
I remember Appy saying he thought Nash was athletic, and while big and strong, he wasn't a plodder. In other words, he's not just a lumbering slugger.  What's your thought?  Is he destined for firstbase only?

I only saw Mier once on mlbtv.  I was pleasantly surprised and still hold out hope.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 03:19:36 pm »
I remember Appy saying he thought Nash was athletic, and while big and strong, he wasn't a plodder. In other words, he's not just a lumbering slugger.  What's your thought?  Is he destined for firstbase only?

1st is where his future is.  The G-Astros LF stats on Baseball reference indicate that Nash played 51 games in LF, Ricardo Heradia played in 21, 5 other players spent time out there (Lane 8, Humphrey 7, King 2, Rodriguez 1, Garcia 1).  That adds up to 91 appearances in 66 games.  That means alot of late inning subs for Nash in close games. 

He struggles reading the ball off the bat.  I don't know if it is ability or lack of focus. He made 7 errors in LF.  That is more than Tri Cities, Lex & Lancaster had as a team in LF.  RR had 8 & CC had 9.  He is not a LF.  1b or DH
Always ready to go to a game.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 05:16:47 pm »
1st is where his future is.  The G-Astros LF stats on Baseball reference indicate that Nash played 51 games in LF, Ricardo Heradia played in 21, 5 other players spent time out there (Lane 8, Humphrey 7, King 2, Rodriguez 1, Garcia 1).  That adds up to 91 appearances in 66 games.  That means alot of late inning subs for Nash in close games.  
Just FYI LF starters were Nash (50), Heredia ( 8 ), Lane (5), Humphrey (2), and King (1).  Seems to back up your conclusion.  Also, many times the sub (Lane or King) was brought in to play CF or RF and Heredia was shifted to LF.
Up in the Air

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 07:30:23 pm »
King is the best OF I have seen. If he can figure out the bat, he could move fast.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 12:55:19 pm »
King is the best OF I have seen. If he can figure out the bat, he could move fast.
Good to know.  Thanks.
Up in the Air

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 11:13:39 pm »
I don't remember reading about him before (a search of the BRDF just turned up a couple brief mentions), but wow, he's had an interesting career. Looks like he was signed at 16, spent two years as a catcher and then converted to OF. In 2009, he had 7 assists in 33 games in RF. In 2010, 14 assists in 57 games there. Wow.

His best season hitting-wise was 2009 with the GCL Astros: .254 BA, but that turned into a .399 OBP thanks to 16 HBP! In 42 games! (for perspective, Biggio's most HBP in one year was 34, in 162 games).

Duman, any other insights into his history, or his hitting tools?

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 05:55:41 am »
I have little skill in breaking down swings. So can't help with his bat problems. I just heard scouts were buzzing over his OF play the way the were buzzing over Nashs power

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 12:04:58 pm »
I have little skill in breaking down swings. So can't help with his bat problems. I just heard scouts were buzzing over his OF play the way the were buzzing over Nashs power
Speaking of amazing OFers, has anyone seen any updates this spring on Yordany Ramirez' conversion to pitching? I know he threw in 5 games at Lex last year... any idea what he's doing this year?

By the way, dreaming here, but how awesome would it be to have a pitcher on the MLB roster who could come into games when he's not pitching, as a world-class OF defensive replacement? Would allow for a lot more freedom in bench construction too.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 12:38:02 pm »
By the way, dreaming here, but how awesome would it be to have a pitcher on the MLB roster who could come into games when he's not pitching, as a world-class OF defensive replacement? Would allow for a lot more freedom in bench construction too.
I would wonder whether the no-warmup, full-strength-throw routine in the outfield would conflict with the prep for a 15-30 pitch relief appearance.  Since folks on this board probably have an informed opinion on this, "I'll hang up and listen".
Up in the Air

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 01:00:11 pm »
I would wonder whether the no-warmup, full-strength-throw routine in the outfield would conflict with the prep for a 15-30 pitch relief appearance.  Since folks on this board probably have an informed opinion on this, "I'll hang up and listen".

I screwed my arm up that way, made an off-balance throw from center and lost my fastball for several months. I was just a smart-ass kid, but it happens.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 04:10:41 pm »
I screwed my arm up that way, made an off-balance throw from center and lost my fastball for several months. I was just a smart-ass kid, but it happens.
Yeah, you certainly wouldn't want to do it with your #1 starter, but if Jeff Fulchino happened to play the OF like Andruw Jones in his prime, I'd think they might turn him loose out there in the late innings.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 01:18:37 pm »

In my opinion, it's totally different throwing motion. And OF'ers warm up alot before games and a little in between innings.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 10:21:20 am »
Any idea when the minor league rosters will be announced?

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 10:47:10 am »
Sent a tweet to Levine asking as much. Haven't heard back.

FWIW, I did see this tweet from Bushue: "Is it time to be in Lexington yet???......."  Not sure exactly what he meant by it... but... there you have it...
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 10:52:19 am »
That one is a head scratcher. 

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 10:58:04 am »
I was scratching my head as well. Could make sense though. Bushue is still very young. Has missed some time from injury. Isn't really 'ready' for Corpus. Perhaps Heck & Co want to spare him from the launching pad that is Lancaster. Who knows...  Hell, the kid could just be hung over...

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 11:27:29 am »
In John Manuel's top 10 chat at BA a while back, he suggested that the Astros might have Bushue repeat Lexington to start the season. It keeps him away from Lancaster, and they can wait a while before jumping him to Corpus. I don't think anyone believes he's at the same level Lyles was after his year in Lexington, so it makes pretty good sense if they don't want him to pitch at the Hangar.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 12:29:04 pm »
Any idea when the minor league rosters will be announced?

They don't have to be set until next week when the minor league seasons start.
Goin' for a bus ride.