Author Topic: TCU and other observations  (Read 1621 times)

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
TCU and other observations
« on: September 20, 2010, 09:22:47 am »
1. TCU has a helluva team (Baylor does not).  That TCU team I saw on Saturday was scary good and hitting on more than all eight cylinders.  Not an expert, but they'd give anyone a run for their money and then some.
2. The tailgate situation around Amon Carter is very good and a neat atmosphere.  Not "big time" like Texas or the SEC, but really enjoyable and nothing beats an on campus stadium.  Great place to take in a football game, especially if you're a Frog fan.
3. Heard that the same architect who did Camden and the Ballpark has designed the renovations they'll begin in Amon Carter immediately after the last home game.  I like the stadium as is, so they're definitely taking it to another level. 
4. I went to Baylor, so I am versed in the concept of lameness but I think there are few things as lame as watching the masked rider of Texas Tech atop her raging black stallion holding up not a Colt .45 but a little finger thumb gesture thingee.  God, how pathetic.  I don't care if you had to break off the firing pin and plug the cylinder in front of a Texas Ranger, at least ride with a goddamn pistol or don't ride at all.  Also, even their statue on campus of the rider has that guns up hand gesture instead of the real thing.  Lame.  Beyond lame.  Lameapalooza.  How they live with the shame of this I'll never know unless it's all the drinking and whoring which on second thought I guess makes it all okay.
5. Jeffcoat 2.0 is a man.  Unless he's crippled or goes wilding through the Theta house, he's going to inflict a high level of misery on opposing offenses for some time to come.
Purity of Essence

AstroFrog

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
Re: TCU and other observations
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:34:49 am »
Glad you enjoyed the game experience at TCU, on-field results for Baylor notwithstanding.  TCU was a buzzsaw on Saturday.  Next year's game in Waco will be intriguing as TCU will be in the early stages of a new QB replacing Dalton, and Baylor will have an experienced, healed, and angry Robert Griffin at the helm.

As an on-campus, football only stadium, I think Amon Carter is a terrific place for college football.  Incredible sightlines thanks to never having a track or any other multipurpose aspect.  The stadium is a  little under-appreciated within the state, in my opinion.  The restrooms, concessions, and concourses are definitely past their prime, and the renovation is going to address those in a big way.

Those wanting to see the renderings of the rebuilt stadium can go here: http://stadium.tcu.edu/
"Rudy, after 35 years of religious study I have come up with only two hard, incontrovertible facts: there is a God, and, I'm not Him."

-Father Cavanaugh, "Rudy"

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 10:41:26 am »
AstroFrog: see if you can do something about the PA announcer--he sounds like a really bitch version of Joe Buck.
Purity of Essence

AstroFrog

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 10:45:06 am »
AstroFrog: see if you can do something about the PA announcer--he sounds like a really bitch version of Joe Buck.

Unfortunately I don't make it to home games frequently enough to know what the PA is like these days.

About 10 years ago the PA guy had the nickname "Mr. Mumbles."  I assume this is not the issue anymore?
"Rudy, after 35 years of religious study I have come up with only two hard, incontrovertible facts: there is a God, and, I'm not Him."

AstroFrog

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 09:28:53 am »
Someone needs to muzzle RGIII...

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/17735/bus-griffin-no-more-same-old-baylor

When you lose 45-10, it is just asinine to suggest the difference was that the other team played with confidence.

I was worried about this game going in, and I think the return date in Waco next season is going to be tough for TCU, but the reality is that you got rolled last Saturday.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:21:28 am »
Someone needs to muzzle RGIII...

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/17735/bus-griffin-no-more-same-old-baylor

When you lose 45-10, it is just asinine to suggest the difference was that the other team played with confidence.

I was worried about this game going in, and I think the return date in Waco next season is going to be tough for TCU, but the reality is that you got rolled last Saturday.
It was a resounding ass kicking from start to finish.  Griffin is a competitor that sees things in a way that are maybe different from reality or what he should have said.  Happens with athletes every hour on the hour.  As for TCU in Waco next year with a lot of 2010 starters gone--sitting here right now, I still wouldn't bet against Patterson and his staff--they seem to know what they're doing.
Purity of Essence

Andyzipp

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 10:42:26 am »
It was a resounding ass kicking from start to finish.  Griffin is a competitor that sees things in a way that are maybe different from reality or what he should have said.  Happens with athletes every hour on the hour.  As for TCU in Waco next year with a lot of 2010 starters gone--sitting here right now, I still wouldn't bet against Patterson and his staff--they seem to know what they're doing.

I watched that game.  Baylor just doesn't have the talent along the lines like they've had the last couple of years.

And Griffin, as good as he is, has understandably lost just a bit of his burst.  He's still fast, but the "quick" looked really really lacking in the two games I've watched.

On the other hand, I've learned a lot about other teams these last three weeks.  So there's my positive for A&M not being televised this season.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 11:06:52 am »
On the other hand, I've learned a lot about other teams these last three weeks.  So there's my positive for A&M not being televised this season.

The other positive is you don't have to see how truly awful the Aggies actually are.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Andyzipp

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 11:20:08 am »
The other positive is you don't have to see how truly awful the Aggies actually are.

How would this be different than any other year?  A&M will always be looking up at the top half of whatever conference they are in.  Just the way it is.  Doesn't mean I can't enjoy watching them or going to games.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 11:22:47 am »
How would this be different than any other year?  A&M will always be looking up at the top half of whatever conference they are in.  Just the way it is.  Doesn't mean I can't enjoy watching them or going to games.

Dammit Andy.  Let me pile on the Aggies without getting mopey and making me feel bad for you.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Andyzipp

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 11:38:49 am »
Dammit Andy.  Let me pile on the Aggies without getting mopey and making me feel bad for you.

Do as thou wilt.

And I'm not mopey.  Just resigned.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 11:45:31 am »
And I'm not mopey.  Just resigned.

-Richard Nixon
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright