Author Topic: Places to Eat in New Orleans  (Read 7990 times)

AstroFrog

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
Places to Eat in New Orleans
« on: September 21, 2010, 08:04:07 am »
I have always heard about the legendary eating in New Orleans, and I will finally have a couple of relatively unstructured days in the city with which to try my fill.

I am staying in the Garden District and the Saints are playing at home on my one full day in town, so I would prefer NOT to deal with downtown/the French Quarter. 

Anyone have good recommendations for the Garden District/Tulane area, or other parts of the city besides downtown?

Much obliged.
"Rudy, after 35 years of religious study I have come up with only two hard, incontrovertible facts: there is a God, and, I'm not Him."

-Father Cavanaugh, "Rudy"

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
Re: Places to Eat in New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 08:59:21 am »
Are you wanting fine dining, or just anything?

Because if you're looking for more casual, the po-boys at Mahony's will kick your ass.  Get the traditional shrimp, or add fried green tomatoes to it.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 09:09:09 am »
I would go to The Camilia Grill every day for every meal and eat everything on their menu if I could.  People line up early there.
Purity of Essence

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:10:45 am »
If you are driving from Houston stop at Steamboat Bills in Lake Charles (right after the bridge).  Great Po-Boys.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:13:39 am »

Chili omelette and chocolate freeze at the Camellia Grill for breakfast.  Po-boys at Domilise's for lunch.  Dinner at Jacques-Imo's if you want a fancier meal, or go to Franky and Johnny's for a more casual New Orleans meal.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 09:14:45 am »
If you are driving from Houston stop at Steamboat Bills in Lake Charles (right after the bridge).  Great Po-Boys.

Bill's is good.  Pat's in Henderson is my favorite place to stop for lunch.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:19:24 am »
Bill's is good.  Pat's in Henderson is my favorite place to stop for lunch.

Havent been there, but will go next time thru.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 09:25:41 am »
I think they have a Chili's there.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Places to Eat in New Orleans
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 09:33:09 am »
Is Gallatoires still there? If so, do they still require coat and tie for men?
E come vivo? Vivo.

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 09:33:13 am »
The shrimp and grits at Desire Oyster Bar (on Bourbon Street) are excellent.  Makes my mouth water just thinking about them.  I know it is the French Quarter, but if you just happen by there.............
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 09:35:51 am »
I have eaten shellfish on five continents but never in my life have I had oysters as good as those I had at Pascal's Manale on Napoleon a block or two north of St Charles. Some might complain that Gulf oysters lack subtlety. Fuck that. The oysters I had there were perfect in every way and shucked by a gentleman for whom the idea of 'good enough' obviously does not exist.

Also, if your musical interests run towards gender-nonspecific hi-hop you are in luck. Sissy Bounce is a new sub-genre that has taken firm hold of New Orleans' rap scene. You should surely be able to take in a performance by Big Freedia or Katey Red.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 09:36:22 am »
Upperline Restaurant - small place with fine creole/southern dishes. Reservations a must.
Pascal's Manale - creators of BBQ shrimp. Great Italian/creole seafood dishes and an epic Oyster bar.

I second Domelise's for a po-boy, or the Parkway Bakery if you're up by the lake.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 09:38:04 am »
Sissy Bounce is a new sub-genre that has taken firm hold of New Orleans' rap scene. You should surely be able to take in a performance by Big Freedia or Katey Red.

I would love to see a review of Big Freedia show on SnS.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 09:43:56 am »
I would love to see a review of Big Freedia show on SnS.

Well, as you might imagine I drive through NOLA every March. Lately I've been staying in Mobile on the way out but I could definitely change things up, stay in NOLA and dutifully submit a review.

I personally prefer Katey Red. You buggin me an you ug-a-ly!
Y todo lo que sube baja

Guinness

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 09:44:25 am »

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 09:57:26 am »
We had a very good dinner at Brightsen's which isn't in the french quarter.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 10:06:14 am »
BTW - we also ate at Jacque Imos and I thought Brightsen's was better food but JI a better scene, FWIW.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 10:42:27 am »
The oysters I had there were perfect in every way and shucked by a gentleman for whom the idea of 'good enough' obviously does not exist.

How does one substandardly shuck an oyster?  You either crack open the shell or you don't.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 10:46:35 am »
Is Gallatoires still there? If so, do they still require coat and tie for men?

Yes and yes.  Just jackets, though.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 10:47:00 am »
How does one substandardly shuck an oyster?  You either crack open the shell or you don't.

He means the shucker won't let you stop eating them. And he's right.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 10:48:20 am »
I think jackets is just one day a week (I think sunday but may be friday).
  -  Orson Welles

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 10:49:27 am »
Also - if I could eat just one meal in new orleans, it'd probably be lunch at galatoires. Just something that doesn't exist anywhere else.
  -  Orson Welles

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 10:51:16 am »

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 10:55:31 am »

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 10:57:48 am »
Makes sense, I've only ever gone for lunch.

Thinking some more - while cochon may technically fall into the downtown category, might be worth toughing it: that's probably where I'd go if you gave me a second meal.
  -  Orson Welles

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 11:18:06 am »

You crack the shell without a) damaging the meat b) losing any of the juice and c) getting any of the shell dirt and detritus in the meat and juice. Then you separate the oyster cleanly from its shell without leaving any bits on the shell and again without damaging the meat or losing any juice.

I promise you that if you have oysters on the half shell anywhere that serves good oysters, and there are many such places in Houston, and then sample oysters on the half shell prepared by the gentleman who was working the bar the evening I visited Pascal's Manale you will immediately realize a stunning difference.

It's sort of like sushi rice. If you've had good sushi rice you may think you have a pretty good handle on the difference between good and not good sushi rice. But until you have sushi that features rice made and assembled by a master you will have no way to know that good or even very good is simply not good enough to someone whose very essence of being is inextricably connected to what he does all day.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Andyzipp

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 11:45:56 am »
I would go to The Camilia Grill every day for every meal and eat everything on their menu if I could.  People line up early there.

+ eleventy billion.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 12:24:33 pm »
You crack the shell without a) damaging the meat b) losing any of the juice and c) getting any of the shell dirt and detritus in the meat and juice. Then you separate the oyster cleanly from its shell without leaving any bits on the shell and again without damaging the meat or losing any juice.

I promise you that if you have oysters on the half shell anywhere that serves good oysters, and there are many such places in Houston, and then sample oysters on the half shell prepared by the gentleman who was working the bar the evening I visited Pascal's Manale you will immediately realize a stunning difference.

It's sort of like sushi rice. If you've had good sushi rice you may think you have a pretty good handle on the difference between good and not good sushi rice. But until you have sushi that features rice made and assembled by a master you will have no way to know that good or even very good is simply not good enough to someone whose very essence of being is inextricably connected to what he does all day.

I understand what someone who actually prepares a dish may bring to the table.  What I don't get is how someone who simply cracks open an oyster shell makes much of a difference.  It's like opening your beer for you.  I don't see where it makes much difference to the taste.  And yes, I've been eating oysters by the bucketfull for 40 years.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 12:26:04 pm »
I understand what someone who actually prepares a dish may bring to the table.  What I don't get is how someone who simply cracks open an oyster shell makes much of a difference.  It's like opening your beer for you.  I don't see where it makes much difference to the taste.  And yes, I've been eating oysters by the bucketfull for 40 years.

Unless that guy drools and sweats into your beer.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 12:26:09 pm »

Looks like you need to accompany Mr. Chuck to Pascal's Manale and get a taste test.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 12:29:25 pm »

Just as an observer, it looks to be some sort of Zen consciousness thing on the part of the shucker, not the oyster.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 12:34:48 pm »
Looks like you need to accompany Mr. Chuck to Pascal's Manale and get a taste test.

Looks like it.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 12:36:16 pm »
Just as an observer, it looks to be some sort of Zen consciousness thing on the part of the shucker, not the oyster.

Perhaps.  Of course, chuck has someone else shuck his oysters for him.  Monocled, cravat-wearing elitist that he is.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 12:36:49 pm »
Unless that guy drools and sweats into your beer.

That's how they brew Budweiser.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 12:59:55 pm »
The shrimp and grits at Desire Oyster Bar (on Bourbon Street) are excellent.  Makes my mouth water just thinking about them.  I know it is the French Quarter, but if you just happen by there.............

Shrimp and grits is one of my favorite dishes in the world. Had it first in Charleston, SC, and have never found any quite so good anywhere else. I always thought of it more of a southern dish than Cajun. Do they put a spin on it, or is it more traditional?
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 01:00:55 pm »
Shrimp and grits is one of my favorite dishes in the world. Had it first in Charleston, SC, and have never found any quite so good anywhere else. I always thought of it more of a southern dish than Cajun. Do they put a spin on it, or is it more traditional?

I love shrimp and I love grits.  But I don't care for them together.  To each his own.

BatGirl

• Contributor
  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 01:43:03 pm »
I love shrimp and I love grits.  But I don't care for them together.  To each his own.

yes, but based on the results of your experience
would you say your decision to try them together was wrong?
..because chickens are decent people.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2010, 01:50:29 pm »

You are a bad person.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 02:06:22 pm »

Yes.  I should have known better. So the next time someone says "hey, you like lobster...you like banana pudding..."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:09:19 pm by HudsonHawk »

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 02:07:09 pm »
Perhaps.  Of course, chuck has someone else shuck his oysters for him.  Monocled, cravat-wearing elitist that he is.

I am happy, my friend, to shuck my own oysters. In fact, I have two oyster knives in the kitchen, the second one being useful a) if I find myself in the company of another competent oyster shucker or b) for disaster aversion should knife #1 break.

But indeed I am happier when served oysters shucked perfectly by someone who knows exactly what the fuck he is doing.
Y todo lo que sube baja

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 02:10:46 pm »
But indeed I am happier when served oysters shucked perfectly by someone who knows exactly what the fuck he is doing.

You want a guy that really knows how to work an oyster.  You don't understand why the rest of us are content to just eat any old oyster.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2010, 02:12:23 pm »
I am happy, my friend, to shuck my own oysters. In fact, I have two oyster knives in the kitchen, the second one being useful a) if I find myself in the company of another competent oyster shucker or b) for disaster aversion should knife #1 break.

Mind if I use a screwdriver?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2010, 02:21:32 pm »
You want a guy that really knows how to work an oyster.  You don't understand why the rest of us are content to just eat any old oyster.

My grandfather would roll over in his grave at the thought of someone else shucking his oysters.  It'd be like getting someone else to peel your crawfish or cut up your steak for you.  It's fine...for someone under 10 years of age.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2010, 02:24:49 pm »
Screwdrivers are for tightening shit that's come loose and for serving to female guests at tailgate parties; they are NOT to be used on an unsuspecting bivalve that plainly merits the gentle caresses of a properly rounded oyster knife.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2010, 02:34:59 pm »

My grandfather would roll over in his grave at the thought of someone else shucking his oysters.  It'd be like getting someone else to peel your crawfish or cut up your steak for you.  It's fine...for someone under 10 years of age.

Jesus, you're on a roll.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2010, 02:38:45 pm »
Screwdrivers are for tightening shit that's come loose and for serving to female guests at tailgate parties; they are NOT to be used on an unsuspecting bivalve that plainly merits the gentle caresses of a properly rounded oyster knife.

Oyster snob.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2010, 02:44:15 pm »

BTW...to merge this and the Texans thread...I shall have my new tailgating grill, hopefully fully re-painted in Texans scheme, on Sunday.  Come by and have some brisket and ribs.  

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2010, 02:45:52 pm »
BTW...to merge this and the Texans thread...I shall have my new tailgating grill, hopefully fully re-painted in Texans scheme, on Sunday.  Come by and have some brisket and ribs. 

If I were in town, I'd drop by and tell you how much better the brisket would taste in a different smoker.

Have a great time.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2010, 02:46:51 pm »
If I were in town, I'd drop by and tell you how much better the brisket would taste in a different smoker.

Have a great time.

I won't be the one smoking the brisket, only heating it up on the grill.  You should come anyway.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2010, 02:48:16 pm »
Oyster snob.

I bet you bite off the end of your Monte Cristo #2 and dip it in whisky before you light it on the campfire.

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2010, 02:49:04 pm »

The grits are cooked, then formed into patties and sorta pan fried just a bit to keep them together, not fried til they are hard. The shrimp is cooked in a cajun type of alfredo/bisque type of sauce and poured over.  Absolutely amazing.  I wish I were more of a food snob and could describe it better. 

I have never had the more traditional type, but I have seen it in recipie books. 
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

BatGirl

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2010, 02:50:47 pm »
Yes.  I should have known better. So the next time someone says "hey, you like lobster...you like banana pudding..."

you'll tell them to kiss your grits?
..because chickens are decent people.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2010, 02:50:55 pm »
I won't be the one smoking the brisket, only heating it up on the grill.  You should come anyway.

It would be a long trip from Orlando.  Taking the 5-year old to see Mickey.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2010, 02:51:43 pm »
It would be a long trip from Orlando.  Taking the 5-year old to see Mickey.

OA meeting?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2010, 02:51:50 pm »
I bet you bite off the end of your Monte Cristo #2 and dip it in whisky before you light it on the campfire.

Hey now!  I'm offended that you would even suggest that I would desecrate a fine puro in that manner.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2010, 02:52:49 pm »
OA meeting?
Would that I could, my maign.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2010, 02:53:30 pm »
you'll tell them to kiss your grits?

Just to keep them separate from my shrimp.  Those are two great tastes that just don't really taste great together, in my always humble opinion.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2010, 02:56:29 pm »
Would that I could, my maign.

Enjoy! It's finally 'cooling off' a bit. Should hover in the low '90s.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2010, 02:58:32 pm »
Enjoy! It's finally 'cooling off' a bit. Should hover in the low '90s.
Cooler than here.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2010, 03:13:55 pm »
The grits are cooked, then formed into patties and sorta pan fried just a bit to keep them together, not fried til they are hard. The shrimp is cooked in a cajun type of alfredo/bisque type of sauce and poured over.  Absolutely amazing.  I wish I were more of a food snob and could describe it better. 

I have never had the more traditional type, but I have seen it in recipie books. 

Sounds wonderful. I'll have to try that.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2010, 03:49:09 pm »
Crassus liked snails and oysters.  I guess this isn't the same kind of deal.
Purity of Essence

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2010, 05:40:07 pm »
BTW...to merge this and the Texans thread...I shall have my new tailgating grill, hopefully fully re-painted in Texans scheme, on Sunday.  Come by and have some brisket and ribs.  

I will, thanks, see you Sunday.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2010, 09:48:12 am »
Mothers for breakfast.  Eggs, roasted ham and biscuits.  Don't ask for any cream gravy.  They don't rollo that way in NO.