Author Topic: Friday queso thread  (Read 5322 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Friday queso thread
« on: September 03, 2010, 11:54:09 am »
I like queso.  Anyone else?
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Friday queso thread
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 11:55:14 am »
I like it warm.  When it's cold, it's not as good.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 11:57:02 am »
I like it with sausage and peppers.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

sporadic

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 11:58:42 am »
I like it on somebody else's plate, or table for that matter.  The mere smell of it makes me queezy

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 11:58:54 am »
Queso is good. Queso waffle fries are good. Queso flameado is even better.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 11:59:36 am »
I like it on somebody else's plate, or table for that matter.  The mere smell of it makes me queezy

One Sheriff Blaylock's Nachos, coming up!

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 12:00:35 pm »
I love queso.  Whenever I try a new Tex-Mex restaurant, I judge it on three things; margaritas (rocks w/salt), fajitas and queso.  And salsa.  Four things.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 12:01:20 pm »

Have a bad experience?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

sporadic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 12:10:36 pm »
Have a bad experience?

Runny yellow cheeses I jsut cannot do.  Maybe I had bad mac n cheese as a youngster or something.  And something about the smell of queso...don't even have to eat it and I get uneasy.  Sucks, because I love mexican food...and I damn near have to sit on the patio or take it home to enjoy it.  I like pizza cheese and the white cheese that most places put on top of enchiladas al carbon.  I'm just wired wrong...

strosrays

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 12:20:11 pm »
I used to love sharp cheddar and the other yellow cheese varieties, but somehow (and I am not sure how it happened) now I only like white cheese.  I must be getting narrow and more reactionary with age.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 12:23:17 pm »
I used to love sharp cheddar and the other yellow cheese varieties, but somehow (and I am not sure how it happened) now I only like white cheese.  I must be getting narrow and more reactionary with age.

Isn't white cheese just cheddar cheese without the tasteless dye? 

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 12:27:34 pm »
Isn't white cheese just cheddar cheese without the tasteless dye?  
Exactly.  Like light beer.  [/sarc]

edited to avoid further misunderstanding.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:36:31 pm by VirtualBob »
Up in the Air

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 12:34:49 pm »
Exactly.  Like light beer.

In a blindfolded taste test you can tell light beer from regular beer.   I'd be surprised if you can do that with yellow cheddar and white cheddar (of the American supermarket variety of which I'm most acquainted).   

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 12:34:57 pm »
Queso is good. Queso waffle fries are good. Queso flameado is even better.

Queso con carne is my fav.  It's cheese, meat, cheese, cheese, meat and that's it.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 12:36:09 pm »

It's easier on the colon.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 12:37:17 pm »
In a blindfolded taste test you can tell light beer from regular beer.   I'd be surprised if you can do that with yellow cheddar and white cheddar (of the American supermarket variety of which I'm most acquainted).   
See revised post ...
Exactly.  Like light beer.  [/sarc]

edited to avoid further misunderstanding.

Up in the Air

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 12:39:07 pm »
Exactly.  Like light beer.

Light beer is just regular beer without the beer. Since beer has flavor, light beer is nothing like white cheese. And there are all kinds of white cheeses that a) have nothing to do with cheddar, and b) taste really good.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:41:20 pm by HudsonHawk »

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 12:41:41 pm »
A good friend's wife makes fantastic salsa.  I've raved so much about it, she now feels obligated to make it any time she knows I'm coming over.  On one such visit, she also had some queso nearby so I thought I'd mix the two and threw in some ground beef she had made for the kids' tacos... I think they had to give me my own bag of chips I ended up eating so much
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 12:44:38 pm »
I think they had to give me my own bag of chips I ended up eating so much

Are you saying this is not the norm?

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 01:05:04 pm »
And there are all kinds of white cheeses that a) have nothing to do with cheddar, and b) taste really good.

True, but I'm not sure yellow cheese vs. white cheese is the right way to divide different types of cheese.

S.P. Rodriguez

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 01:15:09 pm »
I was under the impression that 90% of all restaurant queso was glorified velveeta.  That said, queso flameado is typically made with oaxaca chees.  At least that's how we've always made it.  Chori-queso is even better, chorizo and oaxaca queso on a fresh tortilla.  It warms the heart and clogs it up at the same time. 
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 01:25:32 pm »
Yellow is just a food coloring in cheddar
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 01:43:30 pm »
Since beer has flavor, light beer is nothing like white cheese.

Poetry.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 01:45:54 pm »
Are you saying this is not the norm?

You calling me fat?
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 01:48:09 pm »
I'm alone at home this week, and looking through the refrigerator last night I found (1) two industrial size bags of corn tortillas and (2) two huge blocks of queso fresco.  I don't know why:  at least the queso fresco has never shown up in our fridge before.  Any suggestions? 
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 01:51:20 pm »
I'm alone at home this week, and looking through the refrigerator last night I found (1) two industrial size bags of corn tortillas and (2) two huge blocks of queso fresco.  I don't know why:  at least the queso fresco has never shown up in our fridge before.  Any suggestions? 

Crumble the queso, heat the tortillas, add other stuff.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 01:56:04 pm »
Sorry subnuclear, missed your post earlier (damn blackberry).
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 02:01:40 pm »
You calling me fat?

No, I was gonna ask for some advice on how to eat chips and salsa and not eat a whole bag.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 02:14:01 pm »
Crumble the queso, heat the tortillas, add other stuff.

I can handle that.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

94CougarGrad

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 11:01:39 pm »
When we were in Houston last weekend, we tried Chacho's. They serve salsa with mangos in it. It isn't bad.

They also make their queso with their salsa. That's right... melted cheese with sweet and hot mango salsa in it. I think it's the first time I've ever had queso I couldn't tolerate.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 11:33:59 pm »
Well, I would certainly never eat yellow cheese of any sort but I will say that in a reputable Mexican restaurant I am partial to melted cheese, Oaxaqueño, typically, as someone else mentioned, served with huitlacoche and rajas. Huitlacoche is corn fungus and rajas of course are strips of roasted green chiles.

This is a heavenly combination that will shame the Casa Ole bullshit that so reasonably makes sporadic ill.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2010, 08:32:35 am »
It should be law that rajas be a part of any recipe.   

We used to go to Happy Hour at this place in El Paso to get their unlimited rajas con queso and $0.50 Dos Equis.   I'm still not sure how I put on 41 lbs in West Texas.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 10:03:16 am »
Well, I would certainly never eat yellow cheese of any sort but I will say that in a reputable Mexican restaurant I am partial to melted cheese, Oaxaqueño, typically, as someone else mentioned, served with huitlacoche and rajas. Huitlacoche is corn fungus and rajas of course are strips of roasted green chiles.

There are some excellent yellow cheeses...leicester, cheddar, gouda, bierkase, just to name a few.  Not every yellow cheese out there is velveeta.  You're seriously selling your cheese eating self short by excluding any cheese that simply shares the color of the processed stuff.  And yellow cheese is made yellow from the addition of annatto, which is a spice that happens to turn the color.  It's a natural process.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2010, 03:38:54 pm »
It doesn't really "happen" to change the color. The color is the reason for adding it.
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2010, 04:15:07 pm »
It doesn't really "happen" to change the color. The color is the reason for adding it.

Not always.  It's also a flavoring.  And what difference does the color make?  You'd eat  tbe exact same thing in a different color?  That's the wrong reason to eat food, IMO.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 04:17:52 pm by HudsonHawk »

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2010, 04:26:19 pm »
Not always.  It's also a flavoring.  And what difference does the color make?  You'd eat  tbe exact same thing in a different color?  That's the wrong reason to eat food, IMO.

In traditional cheddarmaking a yellow tinge was thought to be a sign of better milk. People started coloring it to mimic this effect and now that's what people expect. Annato was introduced as a "natural" colorant to improve on whatever crap they used to use - it has little to no flavor impact (in most cheddar at least).

I agree that it's stupid
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 04:32:17 pm »
In traditional cheddarmaking a yellow tinge was thought to be a sign of better milk. People started coloring it to mimic this effect and now that's what people expect. Annato was introduced as a "natural" colorant to improve on whatever crap they used to use - it has little to no flavor impact (in most cheddar at least).

I agree that it's stupid

I know what it is and why it's there. And cheddar isn't the only yellow cheese.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2010, 05:11:49 pm »
guacamole > queso

strosrays

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2010, 09:04:34 pm »
So what is Muenster?  A yellowish white cheese?  A whitish yellow cheese?

I am by no means a connoisseur.  I won't eat Cheese Whiz or Velveeta, but Swiss (Emmental) is about as adventurous as I need to get.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 09:10:42 pm »
Uncolored cheese is either white, plae yellow, or blue - I wouldn't worry too much about color categories
  -  Orson Welles

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2010, 09:17:51 pm »
It can also be affected somewhat by the rind and how it is treated.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2010, 09:22:00 pm »
So what is Muenster?  A yellowish white cheese?  A whitish yellow cheese?

I am by no means a connoisseur.  I won't eat Cheese Whiz or Velveeta, but Swiss (Emmental) is about as adventurous as I need to get.

Muenster is a yellow cheese. Off of chuck's acceptable list. But I like it. Of course, I also like cheese whiz on occassion

strosrays

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2010, 11:17:03 pm »

Muenster is a yellow cheese. Off of chuck's acceptable list. But I like it. Of course, I also like cheese whiz on occassion

Ever tried hog's head cheese?  Interesting flavor, interesting-er texture.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2010, 11:55:57 pm »
Ever tried hog's head cheese?  Interesting flavor, interesting-er texture.

I've tried head cheese (which isn't cheese, for anyone who doesn't know), but didn't like the taste, nor especially the texture.  It kind of grosses me out just thinking about it.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2010, 04:37:27 pm »
When my wife and I were in college we went to Taquerias Arandas because we'd never been there before.  While we were there we asked our server for some queso.  She came back a few minutes later with a plate of grated cheese.  Bummer.

While I like a good Velveeta (name-brand, not generic) queso mixed with a can of Hatch tomatoes, if I were to branch outside of the Velveeta realm what would be a good cheese to make queso with?

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2010, 05:30:04 pm »
When my wife and I were in college we went to Taquerias Arandas because we'd never been there before.  While we were there we asked our server for some queso.  She came back a few minutes later with a plate of grated cheese.  Bummer.

While I like a good Velveeta (name-brand, not generic) queso mixed with a can of Hatch tomatoes, if I were to branch outside of the Velveeta realm what would be a good cheese to make queso with?

Shredded chedder and monterrey jack is classic.  The trick is to make a roux/bechamel type sauce and slowly fold the shredded cheese in a little bit at a time so that it melts evenly.  

Sautee some diced serrano/jalapeno peppers, onions, garlic, etc.  Add a couple tablespoons of flour to it, whisk for 30 seconds or so, and keep whisking as you add milk and cook it till it thickens.  Toss in some cilantro and diced tomatoes.  Turn down the heat, slowly add small portions of shredded cheese, stirring constantly and not adding more cheese until the previous cheese has fully melted into the sauce.

Or, just throw all that shit in the microwave and see what happens.  
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 05:35:53 pm by Bench »

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2010, 06:00:53 pm »

You could try some of Hudson's head cheese, because it's tangy and already warm. 

strosrays

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2010, 11:15:19 pm »
I had a hard-on for mozzarella at one point.

For several months, I would use it in place of whatever cheese I would normally use.  I melted it on my burgers, made queso with it, grilled-cheese sandwiches, nachos, etc.  My experience with different cheeses isn't all that extensive, but I liked the mozzarella for one thing because it melts better than any other cheese I know of.  I also found out it is a damn versatile cheese.

I got burnt out on it eventually, and now save using it for piling on top of a homemade pizza.