Author Topic: Hiring Again  (Read 2396 times)

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Hiring Again
« on: August 20, 2010, 05:22:04 pm »
How do I make 48 pt font so I can start this thread with the word "Sigh"?

We put up 4 want ads to hire some just-above-entry level people for what is basically a writing position that requires some minor critical thinking and decision making skills.   $20/hr and you can put on your resume that you worked for one of the largest securities consulting firms in America.

We got 172 resumes.

Of those, we found 16 people that were worth talking to and one hot blonde 20 year old from the local U that has no skills but makes sitting through these interviews a bit easier.

We emailed the 17 people and asked them simple follow up questions to set up interviews.

Six of them responded.

Of the 6, one of them failed the simple (and holy shit, do I mean simple) task we gave them to prove they knew how to build tables in Word.   One of them showed up today for the interview in jeans and Doc Martens.

Two more interviews on Monday, one on Tuesday, and the sixth guy still hasn't responded with a time to meet (fail). 

I can say without question or hesitation that the reason the country is unemployed has nothing to do with employers or the economy.   It has to do with the fact that 11% of America is, in fact, totally unemployable.   For any job.

I weep for the future.

Craig

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Hiring Again
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 06:34:32 pm »
So if it's a writing job can it be done off-site? Because I'll write anything you want for $20 an hour.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 07:03:25 pm »
we found 16 people that were worth talking to and one hot blonde 20 year old from the local U that has no skills but makes sitting through these interviews a bit easier.

Do they send pictures or are you just google-ing the girls' names?

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 07:12:21 pm »
I can say without question or hesitation that the reason the country is unemployed has nothing to do with employers or the economy.   It has to do with the fact that 11% of America is, in fact, totally unemployable.   For any job.

I weep for the future.

Yes. The clear failure is scary as hell. You want to talk about that Greatest Generation? Work ethic, industriousness, etc.? Well, we pissed it all away. You say your kids are a cut above, they won't be doomed to that shitty future? Teach them a foreign language and some kind of global skill.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 07:55:19 pm »
I had a kid in an interview balk at a starting salary of 30K in a very low cost of living area.  He has 2 years of peace corp service after grad school on his resume.  Remember this is a non profit agency we are talking about.  Oh, and he is only willing to work one year because he wants to go back and get his MBA so he can get into administration.  Sigh...
Always ready to go to a game.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 07:58:45 pm »
I had a kid in an interview balk at a starting salary of 30K in a very low cost of living area.  He has 2 years of peace corp service after grad school on his resume.  Remember this is a non profit agency we are talking about.  Oh, and he is only willing to work one year because he wants to go back and get his MBA so he can get into administration.  Sigh...

Weird.  I just interviewed a guy who spent two years in the Peace Corps after grad school.  He was very smart and wore a nice suit.  

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 08:18:00 pm »
Weird.  I just interviewed a guy who spent two years in the Peace Corps after grad school.  He was very smart and wore a nice suit.  

What type of hat?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 08:19:22 pm »

I weep for the future.

Couldn't agree more.
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

Andyzipp

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 08:26:51 pm »
I'll do it.  I can provide writing samples if necessary. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 09:01:10 am »
$20/hr...and you want to be taken seriously?  Seriously?  We pay our interns $40/hr.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Andyzipp

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 09:04:02 am »
$20/hr...and you want to be taken seriously?  Seriously?  We pay our interns $40/hr.

$41600 for someone who can string a few words together isn't bad at all.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 09:05:04 am »
$41600 for someone who can string a few words together isn't bad at all.

Then you're fishing in a different pond.  We can't find people who can wipe their own ass for $40,000.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 09:20:45 am »
Then you're fishing in a different pond.  We can't find people who can wipe their own ass for $40,000.

they wipe back to front?
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Andyzipp

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 09:43:58 am »
Then you're fishing in a different pond.  We can't find people who can wipe their own ass for $40,000.

I thought the role of an intern was to wipe your ass.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 10:08:18 am »
I thought the role of an intern was to wipe your ass.

So did I.  Boy was I surprised.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 12:32:29 pm »
Then you're fishing in a different pond.  We can't find people who can wipe their own ass for $40,000.

Yeah, no, trust me.   I had this discussion with my #2 this morning.

We're quickly finding the exact same thing.   It's clear we're going to have to start offering a higher salary (significantly) because the people out there at $60,000 and below are clearly chimpanzees, for some reason.

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 12:47:25 pm »
Yeah, no, trust me.   I had this discussion with my #2 this morning.

We're quickly finding the exact same thing.   It's clear we're going to have to start offering a higher salary (significantly) because the people out there at $60,000 and below are clearly chimpanzees, for some reason.

What kind of writing is it that you need done? There are thousands of laid-off journalists out there who would probably work for peanuts.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 01:12:05 pm »
What kind of writing is it that you need done? There are thousands of laid-off journalists out there who would probably work for peanuts.

I know, we hired one of them yesterday at $20/hr.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 12:56:17 pm »
I had a kid in an interview balk at a starting salary of 30K in a very low cost of living area.  He has 2 years of peace corp service after grad school on his resume.  Remember this is a non profit agency we are talking about.  Oh, and he is only willing to work one year because he wants to go back and get his MBA so he can get into administration.  Sigh...

A starting salary of 30K is really damn good for a non-profit. That guy's just a jockstrap.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand