Author Topic: Fun with numbers, Drayton is cheap edition  (Read 4191 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Fun with numbers, Drayton is cheap edition
« on: July 08, 2010, 01:22:15 am »
So you think Drayton is cheap, eh?

Here are the Astros 2010 prospect signings to date with verified signing bonuses (assuming $2.6M for Ovando instead of $2.8M):

*SIGNEE*
Foltynewicz, Mike
Kvasnicka, Michael
Velasquez, Vincent
Doran, Robert
Heath, Ben
Pena, Roberto
Buchanan, Jake
Shirley, Thomas
Grills, Evan
Scott, Jordan
Cotton, Jamaine
Feliz, Michael
Montero, Jose
Vizcaino, Kelvin
Ovando, Ariel
TOTALS
*DRAFT/FA*
(1)-19
(1S)-33
(2)-58
(4)-123
(5)-153
(7)-213
(8)-243
(9)-273
(10)-303
(14)-423
(15)-453
Int'l FA
Int'l FA
Int'l FA
Int'l FA

*BONUS*    
  $1,305,000.00
     $936,000.00
     $655,800.00
     $237,700.00
     $160,000.00
     $150,000.00
     $120,000.00
     $100,000.00
     $150,000.00
     $150,000.00
      $75,000.00
     $400,000.00
     $350,000.00
     $250,000.00
  $2,600,000.00
$7,639,500.00

That's $7.6 million in confirmed bonuses.

Now lets add in a couple of estimates here as well (using 2009 slot bonuses and a WAG in the case of Baptista):

DeShields Jr., Delino    
Wates, Austin
Baptista, Jean Carlos  
TOTALS
  (1)-8
  (3)-90
  Int'l FA

$2,270,000.00
     $391,000.00
     $350,000.00
$3,011,000.00

Presuming DeShields and Wates are both signed (which I think is probable, and if I jinxed it don't worry, the 2011 talent is supposedly much better than 2010) and that the Baptista numbers are correct (which I doubt, for whatever reason I'm thinking the bonus is higher than I noted), that would put McLane's spending on amateur talent in 2010 at $10,650,000.  

Moreover, that $10,650,000 does not include monies paid for Adam Plutko or Jacoby Jones should they happen to sign (and I would not be shocked if one of the two did end up signing), for the 11, 12, 16-18, 20, 23, 24, 26-28, 30, 31, 33, 34, 37, 40-42 and 49th picks in the draft (who have been signed for an undisclosed amount), the 7 non drafted free agent seniors signed or for other international free agents that have (or may be) signed that we are not aware of (there were 10 such signings last year).

$10,650,000+ in 2010 (likely) spent on amateurs = cheap?  I'm just not buying it...
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

pots

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Fun with numbers, Drayton is cheap edition
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 08:04:47 am »
$10,650,000+ in 2010 (likely) spent on amateurs = cheap?  I'm just not buying it...

Not to mention if Jones wisens up and realizes a million in the bank is worth more than 4 year college degree, then you can put that at 12 million.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 09:24:30 am »
OSF, you are the man. That is some excellent info there. You are not slowing down one bit.

This ties in with my comment about the Ovando press release. I'm starting to believe that when its all said and done, Wade's biggest accomplishment as GM might be his gradual convincing of McLane to seriously invest in the farm system. They are doing it a little bit under the radar too, which is nice. A "Let the other clubs splurge on the Chapmans and the $8mil Texas HS pitchers, we'll scout the heck out of everybody else and spend where we need to" kind of philosophy, perhaps.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

accougars

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 09:55:40 am »
Good stuff OSF!

I have never understood the average fan's comments about Drayton being cheap. His payrolls have consistantly been in the top third and even the top five in baseball. He has routinely been willing to expand his budget for quality talent at the trade deadline. 

Now, if someone wants to argue that the team has not always been wise about how they spent the money, then that arguement can be made. If someone wants to argue that, in the past, the club has overextended on veterans and that cost the farm system, that is fair argument as well. But, the whole Drayton is cheep thing is just plain stupid!

AC
LIGHT THE TOWER ORANGE!

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 10:42:14 am »
Good stuff OSF!

I have never understood the average fan's comments about Drayton being cheap. His payrolls have consistantly been in the top third and even the top five in baseball. He has routinely been willing to expand his budget for quality talent at the trade deadline. 

Now, if someone wants to argue that the team has not always been wise about how they spent the money, then that arguement can be made. If someone wants to argue that, in the past, the club has overextended on veterans and that cost the farm system, that is fair argument as well. But, the whole Drayton is cheep thing is just plain stupid!

AC

I think your latter statement is on the nose.  But I don't see McLane intending this as his long term investment strategy.  I see this as a strong push to make the Astros more marketable/valuable so he can get top dollar on the sale of the club.   And I put a great deal of value in the fact that none of the parties interested in the Rangers  would meet McLane's asking price for the Astros (450-500mil?). Meanwhile, the Rangers are going to auction with the only known bid to be 575million.  From that I can't avoid speculating that the parties challenging Greenburg/Ryan for the Rangers see their farm system and think, long term, this is a club heading in the right direction and, therefore, worth more money.  On the other hand, these same parties see the Astros farm, read the pundit criticism of the farm, and conclude that while it has a solid foundation, they are a team in decline lacking a long term direction or focus (until Smith/Wade/Heck took over the baseball side).  Another year with this type of effort and investment, the Astros Farm will look pretty damn sweet to potential buyers.  Just my 2, speculative, cents. 
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Andyzipp

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 10:44:56 am »
I think your latter statement is on the nose.  But I don't see McLane intending this as his long term investment strategy.  I see this as a strong push to make the Astros more marketable/valuable so he can get top dollar on the sale of the club.   And I put a great deal of value in the fact that none of the parties interested in the Rangers  would meet McLane's asking price for the Astros (450-500mil?). Meanwhile, the Rangers are going to auction with the only known bid to be 575million.  From that I can't avoid speculating that the parties challenging Greenburg/Ryan for the Rangers see their farm system and think, long term, this is a club heading in the right direction and, therefore, worth more money.  On the other hand, these same parties see the Astros farm, read the pundit criticism of the farm, and conclude that while it has a solid foundation, they are a team in decline lacking a long term direction or focus (until Smith/Wade/Heck took over the baseball side).  Another year with this type of effort and investment, the Astros Farm will look pretty damn sweet to potential buyers.  Just my 2, speculative, cents. 

For the record, McLane wants upwards of $650m for the team and the train.  He is not willing to split the set at this point.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 10:54:18 am »
For the record, McLane wants upwards of $650m for the team and the train.  He is not willing to split the set at this point.

Thanks for that.  I couldn't recall the exact number, but remember reading Forbes had the Astros valued in the range I cited. 

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/33/baseball-valuations-10_Houston-Astros_335701.html  453mil to be exact...

That's one hell of a markup on the asking price. 
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 11:39:03 am »
Thanks for that.  I couldn't recall the exact number, but remember reading Forbes had the Astros valued in the range I cited. 

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/33/baseball-valuations-10_Houston-Astros_335701.html  453mil to be exact...

That's one hell of a markup on the asking price. 

Forbes is undervaluing the train.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Hornstros

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 01:19:57 pm »
Not to mention if Jones wisens up and realizes a million in the bank is worth more than 4 year college degree

Huh?  I'm going to assume i misunderstood this
Reading Richard Justice and respect level for Richard Justice are inversely related

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 03:43:46 pm »
I'm starting to believe that when its all said and done, Wade's biggest accomplishment as GM might be his gradual convincing of McLane to seriously invest in the farm system.

That right there.
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 05:38:49 pm »
Update: Total Astros 2010 prospect signings to date with verified signing bonuses.

[Notes: 2010 draft total per BA (LINK: also shows Astros are 16 of 30 in draft spending from 2008-2010); table below presumes $2.6M for Ovando instead of $2.8M; no money estimate is included for Jean Carlos Baptista this time (since I've never been able to find any kind of verification on the amount)]

*SIGNEE*
2010 draft signees
Feliz, Michael
Montero, Jose
Vizcaino, Kelvin
Ovando, Ariel
TOTALS
*DRAFT/FA*
   All
Int'l FA
Int'l FA
Int'l FA
Int'l FA

*BONUS*    
   $7,275,530.00
      $400,000.00
      $350,000.00
      $250,000.00
   $2,600,000.00
$10,875,530.00
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 05:46:17 pm by OregonStrosFan »

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 11:43:24 am »
BA has a chart up with much each team spent on the top 10 rounds of the draft and how it compared to slot money.  The Astros were within 15K of spending exactly what was slotted.  20 other teams went over slot more than the Astros did.  The Dodgers went 224% over slot.  The average as 125% over slot. 

However, the Astros had the 10th highest bonus per player (Not on chart).  The Astros spent an average $592K per player.  The average of all teams was 550K per player. 

BTW lowest per player were Brewers (209K - 52% of slot), Twins (296K, 91% of slot), &  Braves (298K, 93% of slot) who have fairly productive farm systems.

So over paying is no guarantee of success.
Always ready to go to a game.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 02:16:27 pm »
BA has a chart up with much each team spent on the top 10 rounds of the draft and how it compared to slot money.  The Astros were within 15K of spending exactly what was slotted.  20 other teams went over slot more than the Astros did.  The Dodgers went 224% over slot.  The average as 125% over slot. 

However, the Astros had the 10th highest bonus per player (Not on chart).  The Astros spent an average $592K per player.  The average of all teams was 550K per player. 

BTW lowest per player were Brewers (209K - 52% of slot), Twins (296K, 91% of slot), &  Braves (298K, 93% of slot) who have fairly productive farm systems.

So over paying is no guarantee of success.
Maybe those three clubs are underpaying this year because they have an already rich system.  A club like Houston, with what is popularly considered a weak system would be more inclined to overpay.  That they really didn't to much of an extent is probably a mark of some pretty good management by Heck, Wade et al.
Purity of Essence

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 04:34:56 pm »
A club like Houston, with what is popularly considered a weak system would be more inclined to overpay.  That they really didn't to much of an extent is probably a mark of some pretty good management by Heck, Wade et al. a really cheap owner.

FIFCCS (fixed it for Chronicle comments section)
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 04:51:34 pm »
I think it is also relevant to note that (by all accounts) the Astros tried to go well over slot on 2 players (Adam Plutko and JaCoby Jones), but were ultimately unable to reach an agreement with either.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 05:40:26 pm »
I think it is also relevant to note that (by all accounts) the Astros tried to go well over slot on 2 players (Adam Plutko and JaCoby Jones), but were ultimately unable to reach an agreement with either.

I think Chron commenters and birthers would agree that you can't believe nothing unless you show them the docs!

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 07:46:59 pm »
I think Chron commenters and birthers would agree that you can't believe nothing unless after you show them the docs!

FIFY
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright