Author Topic: Anyone Here a Windows 7 Expert?  (Read 2191 times)

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Anyone Here a Windows 7 Expert?
« on: July 01, 2010, 10:20:31 am »
Ok, so we shut down the Houston office yesterday and moved everyone and everything up here to NYC.

The good news was I got my server back (it was in the Houston office) and was very excited about being able to synch my laptop back up to the server, working instantly while at the office, and being able to work with offline files from home; as opposed to remoting in to the server 24 hours a day. 

The bad news is...I'm now using Windows 7, which is motherfucking silly.   That's all fine and good, the real issue is I need this problem solved. 

When I open the Synch Center and allow offline files, it's discovering my old offline files from my old computer (which ported over when I moved the user from my XP machine to the win7 machine) from 13 months ago.   When I try to synch to the server (again, for the first time in 13 months), it is giving me two real problems:

1) It is trying to resynch shit from 13 months ago, shit that has since become totally obsolete.  So delete your offline files, you say!   Ah ha.  I would love to, but it's giving me a permission problem.
2) And this is the highly annoying one; it won't let me actually synch to any folder that had since been created in the last 13 months because it says I don't have permission to access that drive (I mapped the file server as the Z:).   When I try to log in as admin to give file permissions to EVERYONE in that folder, I get the same "access is denied" bullshit.

So there, someone, anyone, fucking tell me please how the motherfuck I synch a goddamn folder in Windows 7 so that I can run my office offline from home (off the server) the way I was able to without fucking problem in XP.

Many thanks.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Here a Windows 7 Expert?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 10:22:43 am »
I can't get it to work on my mac either.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 10:38:58 am »
Yes, ha ha, I know.   Look, this isn't about what computer I should be using if I had a time machine or owned a business that created mix tapes.

Astroholic

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 10:41:44 am »
you google it or bing it?

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:47:36 am »
Probably the best thing to do is completely remove the current sync partnership and then start over.  Can you right-click the Z drive in My Computer and uncheck "Always available offline"?

BTW, this will probably delete your offline files so copy them to another location first if you need them.

What OS is your server running?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:51:27 am by Waldo »

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 10:54:22 am »
you google it or bing it?

Yeah, it's a nightmare.   There are like 3000 people asking the question and no one with a good answer.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 10:55:32 am »
Probably the best thing to do is completely remove the current sync partnership and then start over.  Can you right-click the Z drive in My Computer and uncheck "Always available offline"?

Right, I could, but then it didn't actually synch the entire drive; just the folders that had previously existed.

BTW, this will probably delete your offline files so copy them to another location first if you need them.

Cool, will do.

What OS is your server running?

Yeah, I'm throwing around the word "server" to just mean "our external hard drive where the company stores all files."   I should have said that; sorry.

pots

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 11:27:26 am »
I'm guessing Wondows 7 wasn't your idea.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 12:14:55 pm »
Yeah, I'm throwing around the word "server" to just mean "our external hard drive where the company stores all files."   I should have said that; sorry.

Try this.  Select one of the files or folders that you couldn't delete earlier, right-click -> Properties.  Click on the Security tab, then the Advanced button, and then click on the Owner tab.  In the Current Owner box, what does it say?  Something like "COMPUTERNAME\Administrators" or "Alkie", or does it say "Account Unknown" with a bunch of numbers?

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 12:20:25 pm »
Try this.  Select one of the files or folders that you couldn't delete earlier, right-click -> Properties.  Click on the Security tab, then the Advanced button, and then click on the Owner tab.  In the Current Owner box, what does it say?  Something like "COMPUTERNAME\Administrators" or "Alkie", or does it say "Account Unknown" with a bunch of numbers?

Right, it says literally "nobody" or a word and shitload of characters.   And even when logged in as ADMIN, it won't let me change ownership.

It's saying something about not sure the device is on the domain; but that's bullshit, I set the domain on the HD admin myself this morning.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 12:33:03 pm »
And even when logged in as ADMIN, it won't let me change ownership.

Oops.  That's where I was headed.

Maybe try some of the things in the comments section of this link?  These users were dealing with the Win7 release candidate but maybe some of that will work for you.

http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

Another link I saw said to try doing it from Safe Mode.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 01:30:56 pm »
Well now I'm really just getting angry.

I downloaded the TAKE OWNERSHIP util that FUCKING MICROSOFT suggested.   And even IT won't let me take ownership of these directories.

Does anyone have a better way to add an external harddrive as a mapped drive and take ownership of it?

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 01:51:48 pm »
Wait... you're mapping an external drive as a network drive on the same computer?

Noe

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 01:57:54 pm »
Hmmmm... does your domain match?  If not, then provide the domain name of the "server" prior to your login name.  For instance, if the domain name of the server is "cat" and your login is Alkie, then your login name on your Windows 7 to access that "server" (re: computer) should be: cat/Alkie

At that point it explicitly recognizes not only that you're the proper person to login, but also the proper domain (and not an assumption of the domain that does not match from Windows 7).

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 02:54:07 pm »
Wait... you're mapping an external drive as a network drive on the same computer?

We have a single external hard drive that acts as the file center for the entire company (which is only 3 workstations).   The ext HD goes into the router and is assigned an IP address that we used to map as a network drive to each of the workstations.   We've done this for 4 years, with zero problems until right now with Windows 7.   Everything worked perfectly with XP for years.   This isn't about the HD at all.  It's about Win7.