Author Topic: RIP Jose Lima  (Read 10170 times)

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
RIP Jose Lima
« on: May 23, 2010, 11:53:26 am »
According to FooterTweet, "ESPN Deportes is reporting that former Astros pitcher Jose Lima died from a massive heart attack."
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

TxRascal

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Jose Lima
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 12:01:19 pm »
Just saw it confirmed on ESPN Sportscenter...

Died of an apparent heart attack...
"It's a bottom line business where a lot of gray suits are brought in and then, within two years, these guys suddenly know everything about baseball."  Don Drysdale

Uncle Charlie

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 12:01:39 pm »
Just said the same thing on BBTN.  Said he was not feeling well over night, but by the time an ambulance was called, nothing could be done.  Whether you liked him or not, LimaTime was always entertaining.
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 12:04:03 pm »
Wow.

My thoughts and prayers to his family. 
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 12:08:55 pm »
You do not want to have pitched for the 1997 Cursed Astros.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 12:11:25 pm »
No way.  Just 37!  RIP
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 12:15:17 pm »
No way.  Just 37!  RIP

I know it, I couldn't believe he was only 37.    I wonder what happened.   

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 12:18:21 pm »

The last survivor gets the full share of their secret treasure.

Rebel Jew

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 12:19:08 pm »
I know it, I couldn't believe he was only 37.    I wonder what happened.   

hate to say it, but i bet we're going to hear about some kind of drug issue being related to this.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 12:23:58 pm »
Wow, what a fucking bummer.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 12:25:10 pm »
hate to say it, but i bet we're going to hear about some kind of drug issue being related to this.

I hope not. His exuberance was entertaining and I hope he was living large to the end.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Jose Cruz III

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 12:34:20 pm »
That's too bad. RIP
Unga bungaed by the BBGs.

"No. Humans will die out. We're weak. Dinosaurs survived on rotten flesh. You got diarrhea last week from a Wendy's."

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 12:40:59 pm »
Oh man, that's awful news. Lima always brought a smile to the game. RIP Limatime.

Houston

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 12:44:16 pm »
Who else from that team has died?
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it." - Rogers Hornsby

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 12:48:37 pm »

Kile and Holt's career.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 01:38:43 pm »
Awful, awful, awful. Patty Smith said before the game that he was complaining in his sleep and his wife thought he was having a nightmare, then called paramedics when she realized something was wrong. Poor woman.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 01:49:41 pm »
Drayton (via Footer): "He was truly a gifted person both on the field and off of it. He could dance, he could sing, but his greatest gift of all was that he was an extremely happy person. He just lit up our clubhouse with his personality, which was his greatest asset. Jose was not shortchanged in life in any way. He lived life to the fullest every day."

Footer herself: "In the late '90s, Lima would visit the Astros offices pretty regularly in the offseason, which was highly uncharacteristic for a player. Honestly, I think he liked gossiping with us office girls. I still laugh when I think about the look on his face when we explained how "common law" rules work here in Texas."

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 01:49:48 pm »
Awful, awful, awful. Patty Smith said before the game that he was complaining in his sleep and his wife thought he was having a nightmare, then called paramedics when she realized something was wrong. Poor woman.

I have to say, I honestly can't imagine.   

Greg M

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 02:01:45 pm »
Sad.  I remember a game at the Dome in '99 when he pumped up the crowd just after BP tossing t-shirts into the stands.  Fans were eating it up.  He was dancing around and all smiles.  Fun guy to have around.

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 02:06:50 pm »
Shocking.  One of my all time favorite Baseball personalities.
RO RASROS!

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 02:07:26 pm »

Same situation when my grandfather died.  My grandmother thought he was having a bad dream and then couldn't get him to wake up.

"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

matadorph

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 02:30:42 pm »
Drayton (via Footer): "He was truly a gifted person both on the field and off of it. He could dance, he could sing, but his greatest gift of all was that he was an extremely happy person. He just lit up our clubhouse with his personality, which was his greatest asset. Jose was not shortchanged in life in any way. He lived life to the fullest every day."

Well said, Drayton.

I will always have a soft spot for Jose Lima for the happy times he gave us Astros fans. He died way too young. RIP, Jose.

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 02:30:43 pm »
My favorite Lima moment was probably when he resurfaced with the Dodgers and inexplicably pitched that gem of a game against the Shitbirds in the Division series after his overmatched team had pretty much given up.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 02:55:27 pm »
my moment was his love of sitting with the fans so you could meet, hug, get autographs  i have never seen another player do that. kathy and i went to a game one day took pics then went back the next day with an 8x10 for him to autograph. he made out like it was something special, kathy blowing up the picture she took with him when you know he had been faced with the same situation tons of times before.
rip
forever is composed entirely of nows

AstroFrog

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 02:58:48 pm »
My favorite Lima moment was probably when he resurfaced with the Dodgers and inexplicably pitched that gem of a game against the Shitbirds in the Division series after his overmatched team had pretty much given up.

Was trying to think back to the season, I think it was with the Royals, when he came out of the gate on fire and rang up a 7-0 or 8-0 start.  Am I dreaming this up?  I remember thinking how great it was that Lima Time was back, even if it was not with the Astros.  Looking at the career stats, it could have been the 2003 season.  He finished 8-3 in just 14 starts that year.  Did he have a great start to the season and then get injured?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/limajo01.shtml
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 03:25:41 pm by AstroFrog »
"Rudy, after 35 years of religious study I have come up with only two hard, incontrovertible facts: there is a God, and, I'm not Him."

-Father Cavanaugh, "Rudy"

L.I. Bill

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 03:01:44 pm »
I remember watching him from not too far away before a Met/Astros game at Shea.  With his glove perched on his head to free both his hands, he was working the left field line from bullpen to dugout signing autographs and yapping with fans along the way.
Wasn't his day to pitch obviously but he looked like he was having a great time and was completely in his element.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 03:02:06 pm »

We watched that game from a hotel room in Houston while scouting for houses just before we moved there.   Woke up my kid multiple times cheering for Limatyne.   If I remember right, it was the only game the Dodgers won that series.   

dirty steve

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 03:33:45 pm »
my favorite Limatime memory was a saturday (day) home game early in 2000 against the Padres after he had a bad start the the night before.  I had gone to the game myself, and had gotten there pretty early just to check things out.  i saw Limatime about 3/4's of the way down the first base line sitting on the railing, apparently signing anything that people put in front of him and taking any picture people requested.  there was was a line almost all the way to the concourse and i decided that i would hit the gift shop to get a pen, program and camera.  i was able to go do all that and get him to sign my program and get a picture with him, glove on head and everything. 

you hope every athlete or famous person you come into contact with is that cool, and Limatime was.  reading the stories of people here in the TZ, he was like that ALL the time.

RIP Limatime.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 04:20:43 pm »
Just thinking about him cursing himself in his glove
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 04:32:10 pm »

I was always under the impression he was cursing at the glove itself.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2010, 05:11:16 pm »
either way it was LIMA TIME
forever is composed entirely of nows

TheWizard

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 05:56:27 pm »
Damn, poor guy. That is young...
Today seems like a good day to burn a bridge or two

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 06:58:54 pm »

Or shouting when he walked off the field.

RIP Lima Time.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 07:19:00 pm »
From Lance Zierlein of 1560AM via twitter....

Tomorrow we will have a show dedicated to Jose Lima complete with old interviews. Your calls and emails are encouraged. 713-439-1560
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Noe

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 07:46:45 pm »
From Lance Zierlein of 1560AM via twitter....

Tomorrow we will have a show dedicated to Jose Lima complete with old interviews. Your calls and emails are encouraged. 713-439-1560

Best. Shows. Ever.

Granato, Zerlein and the newly glossed "Cy" Lima show in 1999.  Too bad that Jim Rome tried to muscle in and get CY Lima to call his show to reproduce the magic that those three had going.  The day Zerlein and Granato called him "Cy" Lima, and Jose replied instantly "Be-lieb It!" is now a radio show classic.

RIP Cy Lima!

Fynn

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2010, 08:24:51 pm »
Or shouting when he walked off the field.

RIP Lima Time.

He made the Astros history a little richer.  We will all miss him.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2010, 08:45:48 pm »
Man, I loved that guy. I'll never forget his stepping up and winning the second to last game of the year in 1999 against the Dodgers and Chan Ho Park. The Astros were tied with the Reds at that time and Lima coolly went out to the mound in the Dome and shut the Dodgers out.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2010, 08:59:01 pm »
Man, I loved that guy. I'll never forget his stepping up and winning the second to last game of the year in 1999 against the Dodgers and Chan Ho Park. The Astros were tied with the Reds at that time and Lima coolly went out to the mound in the Dome and shut the Dodgers out.

Hampton pitched the next day, and in the 9th inning Lima could be seen in the bullpen, wearing his trademark rally cap, hollering and gesturing wildly to the fans while beating the crap out of the side of the dugout with a baseball bat.  (That could've just been because of Jay Powell giving up three runs.)  I think I remember Bill Brown saying, "Don't start the demolition yet, Jose!  We've still gotta play the postseason here!"  Probably my fondest single memory of him.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:03:22 pm by Waldo »

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2010, 09:01:05 pm »
So who still has a copy of the symphony 72-90 with the staccato LimaTime! movement?

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2010, 09:36:23 pm »
We watched that game from a hotel room in Houston while scouting for houses just before we moved there.   Woke up my kid multiple times cheering for Limatyne.   If I remember right, it was the only game the Dodgers won that series.   

I was teaching a class of autistic kids while that game was going on, had the TV in my classroom turned to the game, and I watched every damn inning.  Couldn't believe what I was seeing.  Dodgers lost the first two games by the same 8-3 score.  Game 3 the Shitbirds had Matt Morris starting, seemed like an automatic win.  But they didn't count on one thing...

Interesting notes from Lima's baseball reference page:

--twice won at least 16 games in a season, twice lost at least 16 games in a season
--was just 24 his first season as a 'stro, and just 27 during the infamous 2000 season (the usual dominican caveat should apply, though).
--his 145 earned runs allowed in 2000 rank tied for 14th all-time in the live ball era, and tied for 2nd for anyone since WW2 (Phil Neikro allowed 148 in the 1977 season, but Neikro started 43 games to Lima's 33)
--His 48 home runs allowed that year rank 2nd all time to Bert Blyleven's 50 in 1986

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2010, 10:02:26 pm »
So who still has a copy of the symphony 72-90 with the staccato LimaTime! movement?

That was a work of high art. And surely the last time I listened to opera of any kind.

I remember the castrati yelping LimaTIME! LimaTIME! while the basso profundo rumbled TRAVELING HORSESHIT SHOOOOOOW.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

remy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2010, 11:34:10 pm »

Think Cami was on the '99 team.

Favorite Lima Time memory:  On my 20th birthday, my dad took me to the Dome and we got to see Lima's 20th win.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 11:40:24 pm by remy »

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2010, 12:10:45 am »
Footer reminisces about LimaTime.  LINK
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2010, 08:37:51 am »
Many people live twice as long, yet are less than half as fondly remembered as Lima, that alone speaks to how special he was.  He truly understood how special his place was and enjoyed every minute of it.

I think we all wish we were as lucky as he was.

cuban

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
    • elrubendelmar.org/
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2010, 08:47:19 am »

The old AstrosConnection crew had a couple of private clubhouses rented out that day. I rented the one right next to theirs. Lima Time was in full swing that day. Best day I ever had at the old Dome.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
RIP Jose Lima
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2010, 09:02:01 am »
He was one of a kind and one of my all time favorites.
I pray for the peaceful repose of his soul and the consolation of his family.
E come vivo? Vivo.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2010, 09:46:38 am »
The old AstrosConnection crew had a couple of private clubhouses rented out that day. I rented the one right next to theirs. Lima Time was in full swing that day. Best day I ever had at the old Dome.

Mark and i went to Houston that weekend for the AC day in the skybox on Sat and the clincher the next day. great weekend.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2010, 11:09:12 am »
The 250 plus tax story audio from 1560. LINK
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

strosrays

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2010, 12:39:52 pm »
I remember the first year they got him, he was a ho-hum middle innings guy with a suck-ass ERA.  The next year Dierker dropped him into the rotation and he won 16 games.  He was a completely different pitcher as a starter, challenging hitters, taking his lumps and moving on (he gave up more HRs than BBs that season.)  He was a throwback in a way -- a guy with not terrific stuff but a lot of guile, and a lot of guts.  He knew if he could stay out there long enough, there was a good chance the team would pick him up, and he'd earn another "W".  I cannot say exactly why, but to me Lima epitomizes the Dierker Era, both the good and the not so good, more than any other single player.

And, oh yeah, he threw the ball over the fucking plate.  Come what may.  I don't think that can be overestimated.

The most impressive thing about Lima to me was that during the 2000 fiasco, when he was being ridiculed and crucified by reporters and fans every day, he didn't really duck out of sight or avoid interviews or generally act like a prick.  He kept himself out there in harm's way.  That to me is why he could still pull out those one-game or even one-season surprises late into his career, when he had been mostly written off.  He had fucking stones.

See ya, Lima.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 12:43:12 pm by strosrays »

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2010, 12:49:27 pm »
He was a throwback in a way -- a guy with not terrific stuff but a lot of guile, and a lot of guts.  He had fucking stones.

His out pitch, as a starter, was a changeup. That's the definition of guile.

David in Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2010, 02:17:43 pm »
I appreciate everyone's thoughts in this thread.  Brought back a lot of good memories.
"I literally love Justin Verlander." -- Jose Altuve

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2010, 02:44:44 pm »
His out pitch, as a starter, was a changeup. That's the definition of guile.

If that didn't work, he'd take a little off the next one.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2010, 03:01:10 pm »
Lima Time, baby!

georgiasamba

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2010, 03:07:56 pm »
He's also, (to my knowledge at least), the only Houston athlete to have had a cameo on HBO’s Arli$$ … LimaTime was high profile and I appreciated that. RIP

Andyzipp

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2010, 03:34:16 pm »
He's also, (to my knowledge at least), the only Houston athlete to have had a cameo on HBO’s Arli$$ … LimaTime was high profile and I appreciated that. RIP

As long as you don't count the Racket, sure.

And I'm sad that I know who was on Arliss.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2010, 03:41:02 pm »
As long as you don't count the Racket, sure.

And I'm sad that I know who was on Arliss.

Not sure that Clemens was a 'Stro when he was on Arli$$.  Also, Lima was famous as an Astros, not an Asshole.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2010, 08:14:03 am »
That was a work of high art. And surely the last time I listened to opera of any kind.  I remember the castrati yelping LimaTIME! LimaTIME! while the basso profundo rumbled TRAVELING HORSESHIT SHOOOOOOW.

For your listening pleasure.  The interwebs are a great, great thing.
http://9yjl8q.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p0SKb6AAQsdTDGtYlSvRbgqxDpDWBNZV4-Fh2EW3VD5uEzPVxGwwGXX3KT8cP6Vq5akSZi4gdatJTkHkkzxgGFgno0MUCNwAN/houston72-90__song3.mp3?download
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2010, 09:46:46 am »
For your listening pleasure.  The interwebs are a great, great thing.
http://9yjl8q.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p0SKb6AAQsdTDGtYlSvRbgqxDpDWBNZV4-Fh2EW3VD5uEzPVxGwwGXX3KT8cP6Vq5akSZi4gdatJTkHkkzxgGFgno0MUCNwAN/houston72-90__song3.mp3?download

Holy crap.  I remember Kevin saying years ago that even he didn't have those anymore.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2010, 11:12:11 am »
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2010, 11:29:42 am »
What is that? I listened, but don't remember that at all...

It's part of an original opera penned by a TZ'er in the wake of the 2000 season.  There's a staccato "Lima Time!" for every homerun he gave up that season.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2010, 01:40:31 pm »
That was a work of high art. And surely the last time I listened to opera of any kind.

I remember the castrati yelping LimaTIME! LimaTIME! while the basso profundo rumbled TRAVELING HORSESHIT SHOOOOOOW.

I am proud to be part of the only baseball-related online community that can properly identify and reference basso profundo.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
RIP Jose Lima
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2010, 02:55:20 pm »
It doesn't take any kind of smarts to recognize a big ass mexican fish.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2010, 07:27:08 pm »

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2010, 08:48:53 pm »
Link must have died; it worked for me this morning.  If no one saved it, I've still got it on my work computer.