Author Topic: Astrodome's fate could be decided this year  (Read 1408 times)

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
Astrodome's fate could be decided this year
« on: February 15, 2010, 08:55:36 pm »
Didn't see this posted (if anyone cares).  Astrodome could house technology museum

Another sports venue with an uncertain future is the aging Astrodome. Judge Emmett says the most realistic option being studied is using part of the Dome for a technology museum, and the make the rest of it usable, open space.

"Not turn it into a hotel, not do anything that costs $500 million, but bring it back to code and make it usable as part of the overall Reliant master plan," said Emmett.

Judge Emmett expects a full proposal on the Astrodome within months and says whatever the plan, a bond proposal will need to be approved by the voters.  ...  the fate of the Astrodome could lie with voters in a few months.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Re: Astrodome's fate could be decided this year
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 09:00:37 am »
It's going to cost 'em a pretty penny just to get rid of the pong.  I was in there a few years back, a couple of years after Reliant Stadium opened (the Run for the Rose ended in there), and the damp smell was pretty overpowering.  Maybe it was the runners, but I don't think so.  Can't imagine it's any better now.

FWIW, being down on the "field" it's even more impressive than being in the stands.  It's like someone put a lid on the sky.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 10:02:30 am »
It's like someone put a lid on the sky.
no joking. i am truly jealous of your experience. as someone who went in the 8th grade from a small town in louisiana, the dome experience has stuck with me over the years.
forever is composed entirely of nows

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 10:18:13 am »

My UT team played UH a DH in the Dome during the 1966 playoffs. we dressed in the Astros clubhouse and were in the 1B dugout. i warmed up in both games, but i did not get into either one. still was a fun experience.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 01:47:22 pm »
I've heard it has a serious rat infestation problem.

Gizzmonic

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 02:30:11 pm »

That would explain why it smells like cat urine.  The 'Stros have been replaced by the strays!
Grab another Coke and let's die

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 09:02:52 am »

...lker...Paging Larry Wa...
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.