Author Topic: Astros '09 draft report card  (Read 1528 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Astros '09 draft report card
« on: October 28, 2009, 11:14:21 am »
Came out from BA today. Would be curious to hear BAs take, as it is behind the pay wall... Thanks!
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Astros '09 draft report card
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 12:44:54 pm »
It's not terribly informative. Mostly just rehashing stuff they've said before, probably without much new insight.

Best Pure Hitter: Mier, Martinez, Wikoff get mentions
Power Hitter: Nash
Fastest Runner: Hogue
Defensive Player: Mier, Meyer

Best Fastball: Hyatt, Walker
Secondary Pitch: Bushue's curve, Keuchel's change

Best Pro Debut: Mier, Martinez
Athlete: Mier, Bushue

They mention that 37th-rounder Raul Rivera is the younger brother of reliever Saul Rivera (I wonder if there's a third brother named Paul...). They also say he's unsigned, and the Astros' site agrees, but someone listed with his name and birth date pitched for the GCL Astros this season.

Mike Modica has been drafted under Wade three times: Phillies in '05, Astros in '08 and '09. Finally signed this time.

Closest to the Majors: Keuchel
Best Late-Round Pick: Martinez, Schurz

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 01:28:09 pm »
It's not terribly informative. Mostly just rehashing stuff they've said before, probably without much new insight.

Best Pure Hitter: Mier, Martinez, Wikoff get mentions
Power Hitter: Nash
Fastest Runner: Hogue
Defensive Player: Mier, Meyer

Best Fastball: Hyatt, Walker
Secondary Pitch: Bushue's curve, Keuchel's change

Best Pro Debut: Mier, Martinez
Athlete: Mier, Bushue

They mention that 37th-rounder Raul Rivera is the younger brother of reliever Saul Rivera (I wonder if there's a third brother named Paul...). They also say he's unsigned, and the Astros' site agrees, but someone listed with his name and birth date pitched for the GCL Astros this season.

Mike Modica has been drafted under Wade three times: Phillies in '05, Astros in '08 and '09. Finally signed this time.

Closest to the Majors: Keuchel
Best Late-Round Pick: Martinez, Schurz

Thanks for sharing.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 03:57:14 pm »
Hogue is very fast and it will be interesting to see how he does in Lex next year when he will still be old for the competition.

Hyatt didn't impress me but they used him very little.  He is very, very raw.  It will be interesting to see where he lands next year. 

I hope Nash lands in G'vill next year, I would like to see him play.
Always ready to go to a game.

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 04:15:47 pm »

You mean THIS GUY? Hmmmmmm...
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 04:17:04 pm »
One thing I neglected to mention: Nash had minor surgery on his shoulder to repair a football injury. Article doesn't mention when the surgery took place.