Author Topic: Paging Mr. Matsui, Mr. Kazuo Matsui  (Read 1371 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Paging Mr. Matsui, Mr. Kazuo Matsui
« on: October 19, 2009, 12:20:19 pm »
Mariners catcher Kenji Johjima Opts out of his contract (via MLB Trade Rumors): LINK

Catcher Kenji Johjima has opted out of the final two years of his contract, according to a press release from the Mariners.  He'll resume his career back in Japan.  The Mariners are freed from the $16MM they'd have owed Johjima over 2010-11, though Larry LaRue of the Tacoma News Tribune says the parties "came to an agreement on a buyout."
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
Re: Paging Mr. Matsui, Mr. Kazuo Matsui
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 12:28:47 pm »
Didn't the Sailors trade their catcher-of-the-future, Clement, to the Pirates or somebody around the deadline this year?
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Russe

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 12:46:40 pm »
Yes they did, but from what I've read, a lot of people don't think Clement will stick at catcher.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 01:29:58 pm »
ESPN article says they have two new guys in waiting:
When he wasn't injured during the 2009 season, Johjima lost playing time to rookie Rob Johnson. The Mariners favored Johnson's handling of the pitching staff over Johjima's offense.

The Mariners are also high on young catcher Adam Moore, who got some playing time in September after being called up from the minors.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 03:58:30 pm »
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Jose Cruz III

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 09:30:26 pm »
Lucky them.
Unga bungaed by the BBGs.

"No. Humans will die out. We're weak. Dinosaurs survived on rotten flesh. You got diarrhea last week from a Wendy's."